No more asking, "How do I overcome this objection"... here is how to overcome ALL of them!

41 replies
Since I see a lot of threads in this forum as I browse about how to overcome certain objections, I want to just give something to you guys and I think it will be of a lot of use for a lot of you.

It's the objections manual from my Offline Trojan Horse Method. It's GREAT content, and it will help a LOT of you... it's 13 pages of pure objections and tons of answers.

Click here to get the Objections Handbook of the century


Read it, study it, and shoot down objections like sitting ducks.

Enjoy!
#overcome
  • I've made thousands of sales calls on local businesses and this report covers all the major objections. Thanks for the share.
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4995845].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
    Absolutely Joe, hopefully you use it lethally!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4995860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Samway
    In this offline business you just need to be able to respond to clients in such a way that they know that you believe in your stuff. They need to see you as an expert straight away. And selling is an art that can be learnt. This ebook is so excellent for that immediate position of expert. I love it. Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4996088].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
      Originally Posted by Samway View Post

      In this offline business you just need to be able to respond to clients in such a way that they know that you believe in your stuff. They need to see you as an expert straight away. And selling is an art that can be learnt. This ebook is so excellent for that immediate position of expert. I love it. Thanks
      More than welcome Samway! You're right, it's about sounding sensible, intelligent, direct, but still keeping the customer in mind when responding.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4996117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    I appreciate the OP putting up some real content. Some comments, however...

    First, this is one way to do Sales. The Tom Hopkins, struggling, overcoming objections, kicking back with feisty rebuttals, wrestling match style. It's not the only way.

    Second, the intention is right in the title: How to get sales before they even know what happened (???!)

    Sounds like wanting to bamboozle, mystify, confuse, obfuscate, fool and misdirect your customer into the sale. Not my way at all.

    Third, many of these rebuttals end up undercutting your integrity. I see folding on price a lot in there. "My price is $X." Objection. "Oh, OK, I can work with you. My price is $0.5X." Talk about undermining your own credibility. "Actually, Mister Prospect, I was trying to rip you off before." Would you rather be a '10' and tough?

    Fourth, isn't this a lot of memorization? Who, in the heat of the moment, is going to have the presence of mind to recall all of these objections, their multiple rebuttals, and pick the "correct" one??

    You can get good at this style of selling if you work consistently at it--just like any other style. But it undermines your credibility, has the wrong intention (of tricking your prospect into buying), doesn't really handle objections--just covers them over, and forces you to commit to becoming a walking encyclopedia of objections and rebuttals. Just what we all want to be, isn't it?! This is NOT the only way you can do Sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997279].message }}
    • want to echo what kaniganj said.

      are we to view prospects as things, dummies, sitting ducks?????
      through the years I have seen this prevailing theme. that they are blank tablets and we can write our magic sales hype on them)

      you do see how providing social media marketing will garner more business, DON"T YOU!? vs. hey, I prefer not to waste time, yours or mine, I'm a big boy, a biz. man like you, so..... do you think social media will help you, yes of no?

      Marketing Idea!

      Premise : you value who you talk to and want to help.

      your business dialogue is asking questions to see if there is a business need and they have enough pain that they have to act.

      you cover what you do, getting the "buy in" along the way in which they tell you they have pains ( not that you said they do )
      * to me they sign a verbal contract.

      at the end (whether 1st call, 2nd call, email or months from now)

      you:

      1. summarize, specifically how they will benefit (solve their pain, they told you they had).
      2. ask if any other questions
      3. Close = "here is what we need to get started".
      grab the contract and fill out.... how would you like to make payment, once I were ready to go will you be the main point of contact.....etc..,

      just an idea. IMO
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997819].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
        Originally Posted by kirbymarketingconcierge View Post

        want to echo what kaniganj said.

        are we to view prospects as things, dummies, sitting ducks?????
        through the years I have seen this prevailing theme. that they are blank tablets and we can write our magic sales hype on them)

        you do see how providing social media marketing will garner more business, DON"T YOU!? vs. hey, I prefer not to waste time, yours or mine, I'm a big boy, a biz. man like you, so..... do you think social media will help you, yes of no?

        Marketing Idea!

        Premise : you value who you talk to and want to help.

        your business dialogue is asking questions to see if there is a business need and they have enough pain that they have to act.

        you cover what you do, getting the "buy in" along the way in which they tell you they have pains ( not that you said they do )
        * to me they sign a verbal contract.

        at the end (whether 1st call, 2nd call, email or months from now)

        you:

        1. summarize, specifically how they will benefit (solve their pain, they told you they had).
        2. ask if any other questions
        3. Close = "here is what we need to get started".
        grab the contract and fill out.... how would you like to make payment, once I were ready to go will you be the main point of contact.....etc..,

        just an idea. IMO
        I can appreciate what you said, but you guys are TOTALLY off base on the entire concept here! I don't think that ANY of my college professors would have taught similar concepts to us if they were unethical or ineffective.

        What you just suggested is exactly what this guide does.

        "Are you saying that you're not interested in more business?" is one of the objections in that very guide, which is exactly what you just said.

        Marketing Principle (From my Marketing 301 course during college): Service Appropriation and Justification

        "Find a product or service that the consumer doesn't know that they need. Find a way to present this product or service that shows the customer why they need it. Find a way to overcome the objections this customer has about this product or service, while presenting the obvious benefits of the product"

        Now let me quote one of the objections from the guide:

        "Objection: I can't afford this.

        Answer: I understand you might feel that way. If you don't mind me asking, if price wasn't an issue or we can negotiate a price that suits your budget, do you feel this is the right solution/product/service for you?

        Once again, take price completely out of the issue. I make my own prices, and we can find a way to work with you if you can find a way to with us."

        I'm not trying to undermine their intelligence. I'm not trying to break my ethical nature, and I'm surely not ignoring integrity. I'm coming off as a good guy.

        I feel really kind of taken aback at the comments honestly. I just wish you guys would give this a real chance in the spectrum of sales, and obviously, it isn't the only way, but it is surely really effective to directly and immediately overcome any objections instead of trying to dig into the underlying cause. I really don't care why they're objecting, as long as I can overcome it successfully and make them feel like they're getting a great day and we both walk away happy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997902].message }}
        • from Brenden : "I'm not trying to undermine their intelligence. I'm not trying to break my ethical nature, and I'm surely not ignoring integrity. I'm coming off as a good guy."


          OK.

          any chance you can respond to question I posed?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with everything you just said.

    I close a ton more sales and so do my sales reps especially when using this guide. This is part of the sales manual they receive. I can understand your concern for having "integrity" and "credibility" but it doesn't make you a bad person to try to overcome a couple common objections that ANYBODY would have when selling something with a high price tag to someone that had no idea they needed it. REGARDLESS of what you have to do to get around it.

    Would you rather talk to 8 clients, and finally sell one for $2,500, or talk to 2 clients, and sell them both for $1,750 because the price was an issue, and you found a way to make a deal?

    Your logic on the integrity statement is complete hogwash, with all due respect. All my clients have a ton of respect for me and know how much integrity I have, and you ONLY COME OFF AS A BETTER GUY for offering them a better deal. Who doesn't love to save money?

    It's not the only way, but when mastered, it is the BEST WAY, to do sales. It's more personal, it's how I would talk to a friend that I know well that understands who I am, and it puts you in a position of power, as well as allowing for expanded conversational sales with the clients which ultimately positions you as an expect.

    I'm in this business to make money first, and make connections second. Like I said, when delivered right, these even come off with a little bit of charisma, flare, and more importantly, HUMOR.

    I've made tons of clients laugh when I came back with an objection, and it's about framing the conversion, pacing the meeting, and closing the deal.

    If they're TRULY not interested, they're truly not interested, and it doesn't mean to pester them until they buy. Objections are simply their way of saying they don't understand or have an issue with the deal they're getting. These objections help them understand and offer a deal that makes them feel like they're NOT GETTING RIPPED OFF. Do you think they would feel more ripped off if they paid $3,000 now and found out a company across town would have done it for $1,600, or if I quote them $3,000 and tell them if they sign up today, I can sign them up for $1,500 to build a relationship and make a new connection?

    As far as the comments about memorization, a ton of the rebuttals are VERY similar in nature, but they're tweaked just to show you variations in how you can present them. I did it specifically so that if there are people that can't deliver an up front blunt line, there are some less direct ways to go about it. We're using them to ask questions, get them to say yes more often to the questions we ask so they ultimately say yes to us when we propose a price and contract.

    It doesn't have the wrong intention, unless you have no faith in the product you are selling. I have complete faith that if I can get them to buy, that 6 months down the road, they'll come wanting to buy more from me because of the extreme value I'm giving them.

    See how I just overcame everything you said? Honestly, I don't know why you wrote such a long post just to thrash what I'm giving away here, but maybe it has something to do with the offline training in your link that obviously requires an optin, where I was just coming to give away information to give it away.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997860].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Brenden Clerget View Post

      I'm going to respectfully disagree with everything you just said.

      I close a ton more sales and so do my sales reps especially when using this guide. This is part of the sales manual they receive. I can understand your concern for having "integrity" and "credibility" but it doesn't make you a bad person to try to overcome a couple common objections that ANYBODY would have when selling something with a high price tag to someone that had no idea they needed it. REGARDLESS of what you have to do to get around it.

      Would you rather talk to 8 clients, and finally sell one for $2,500, or talk to 2 clients, and sell them both for $1,750 because the price was an issue, and you found a way to make a deal?

      Your logic on the integrity statement is complete hogwash, with all due respect. All my clients have a ton of respect for me and know how much integrity I have, and you ONLY COME OFF AS A BETTER GUY for offering them a better deal. Who doesn't love to save money?

      It's not the only way, but when mastered, it is the BEST WAY, to do sales. It's more personal, it's how I would talk to a friend that I know well that understands who I am, and it puts you in a position of power, as well as allowing for expanded conversational sales with the clients which ultimately positions you as an expect.

      I'm in this business to make money first, and make connections second. Like I said, when delivered right, these even come off with a little bit of charisma, flare, and more importantly, HUMOR.

      I've made tons of clients laugh when I came back with an objection, and it's about framing the conversion, pacing the meeting, and closing the deal.

      If they're TRULY not interested, they're truly not interested, and it doesn't mean to pester them until they buy. Objections are simply their way of saying they don't understand or have an issue with the deal they're getting. These objections help them understand and offer a deal that makes them feel like they're NOT GETTING RIPPED OFF. Do you think they would feel more ripped off if they paid $3,000 now and found out a company across town would have done it for $1,600, or if I quote them $3,000 and tell them if they sign up today, I can sign them up for $1,500 to build a relationship and make a new connection?

      As far as the comments about memorization, a ton of the rebuttals are VERY similar in nature, but they're tweaked just to show you variations in how you can present them. I did it specifically so that if there are people that can't deliver an up front blunt line, there are some less direct ways to go about it. We're using them to ask questions, get them to say yes more often to the questions we ask so they ultimately say yes to us when we propose a price and contract.

      It doesn't have the wrong intention, unless you have no faith in the product you are selling. I have complete faith that if I can get them to buy, that 6 months down the road, they'll come wanting to buy more from me because of the extreme value I'm giving them.

      See how I just overcame everything you said? Honestly, I don't know why you wrote such a long post just to thrash what I'm giving away here, but maybe it has something to do with the offline training in your link that obviously requires an optin, where I was just coming to give away information to give it away.
      right on. no trash intended, here's why. IMO

      If you felt insulted, and I whelp cause it. I apologize. Kirby

      perhaps you have some input here:

      I wonder about... a sales system (and way of speaking to the target market).
      that creates an authentic environment in which the salesperson, TM'er, whoe ever can derive satisfaction, can be passionate about, and be successful with.


      SO, you do it more, longer...not get burned out?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997885].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
        Originally Posted by kirbymarketingconcierge View Post

        right on. no trash intended, here's why. IMO

        If you felt insulted, and I whelp cause it. I apologize. Kirby

        perhaps you have some input here:

        I wonder about... a sales system (and way of speaking to the target market).
        that creates an authentic environment in which the salesperson, TM'er, whoe ever can derive satisfaction, can be passionate about, and be successful with.


        SO, you do it more, longer...not get burned out?
        I guess I shoulda prefaced with the fact it's just my nature. I can conversate at length about topics and make certain judgements or rationalities and it is not meant to be offensive in nature, nor to come off like I'm upset.

        Just how I am, I love to talk and learn and evolve, that's what we're all here for right? So no worries, I'm not insulted or offended, I take criticism just fine as long as it's genuine and yours definitely was.

        Just trying to start a real conversation about it.

        I'm always evolving and learning, and I'm willing to admit when I could do better, however in this case, I feel strongly that this is the best approach when dealing with sales meetings and clients. It may not be for other industries but as far as car sales and internet services sales, it definitely is in my opinion.

        On the points you made: I'm extremely passionate about the responses when I give them and I think that's why I like it so much and it's so deadly effective for me. It's all in the delivery and faith in the offering.

        If you have faith in your service, and TRULY BELIEVE what you are saying, then these objections will come off strong, lethal and close you tons of clients.

        However, if you're just saying it to say it, you're going to get shut down, a ton. So you have to believe it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997922].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Brenden Clerget View Post

          I guess I shoulda prefaced with the fact it's just my nature. I can conversate at length about topics and make certain judgements or rationalities and it is not meant to be offensive in nature, nor to come off like I'm upset.

          Just how I am, I love to talk and learn and evolve, that's what we're all here for right? So no worries, I'm not insulted or offended, I take criticism just fine as long as it's genuine and yours definitely was.

          Just trying to start a real conversation about it.

          I'm always evolving and learning, and I'm willing to admit when I could do better, however in this case, I feel strongly that this is the best approach when dealing with sales meetings and clients. It may not be for other industries but as far as car sales and internet services sales, it definitely is in my opinion.

          On the points you made: I'm extremely passionate about the responses when I give them and I think that's why I like it so much and it's so deadly effective for me. It's all in the delivery and faith in the offering.

          If you have faith in your service, and TRULY BELIEVE what you are saying, then these objections will come off strong, lethal and close you tons of clients.

          However, if you're just saying it to say it, you're going to get shut down, a ton. So you have to believe it.

          screw you brenden...you lousy, no good, fast talking sob! :p

          times like this I miss being in a sales office. we can point to the board to show sales data and we can know what salespeople are saying and what isn't working...etc..,walk the walk!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997936].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
            Originally Posted by kirbymarketingconcierge View Post

            from Brenden : "I'm not trying to undermine their intelligence. I'm not trying to break my ethical nature, and I'm surely not ignoring integrity. I'm coming off as a good guy."


            OK.

            any chance you can respond to question I posed?
            I think I did

            Originally Posted by kirbymarketingconcierge View Post

            screw you brenden...you lousy, no good, fast talking sob! :p

            times like this I miss being in a sales office. we can point to the board to show sales data and we can know what salespeople are saying and what isn't working...etc..,walk the walk!
            Yeah absolutely. I know what you mean. When i get my sales reps together once every couple weeks (since they don't spend a lot of time in the office, they're mostly out and about and communicating by phone/computer with me) it's quite the time to sit down, throw numbers around, and really bounce around ideas and concepts to make us all better.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997951].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rachelle123
    Thank you for sharing this! Excellent report and it's a matter of incorporating the rebuttal answers with our own style and personality.. Once this is achieved, the sky is the limit!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    This objection-rebuttal thing is a feature of the Transactional model of selling. The Transactional model is outdated and, worse, broken.

    I want to make people aware that there are other ways of selling. If they are comfortable with this style, that's fine. But it's not the only way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997912].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
      Originally Posted by kaniganj View Post

      This objection-rebuttal thing is a feature of the Transactional model of selling. The Transactional model is outdated and, worse, broken.

      I want to make people aware that there are other ways of selling. If they are comfortable with this style, that's fine. But it's not the only way.
      Tell us more about your system...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997937].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
      Originally Posted by kaniganj View Post

      This objection-rebuttal thing is a feature of the Transactional model of selling. The Transactional model is outdated and, worse, broken.

      I want to make people aware that there are other ways of selling. If they are comfortable with this style, that's fine. But it's not the only way.
      Fair opinion, and same to you kaniganj, I'm just trying to make intelligent worthwhile conversation in this forum instead of some of the other posts that I see.

      Take NOTHING I say offensively, as I'm not trying to start a fight, but just learn and evolve by intelligently analyzing what we're all saying, and deciding whether I agree with you, or myself.

      I'm going to say that as far as outdated, I can agree that it's definitely "aged" but, broken, has to be a little far. They still use it in car sales every day (and granted, some of the car industry recently fell apart) but there are still a ton of dealerships that do really well. In fact I recently trained a sales staff at Nissan that increased their sales from an average of 75 units per month to 105 over the last six months compared to this time last year.

      So to say it's broken I would say is a bit far, but does it take a lot of work to become a "guru (I hate that word)" at it? Absolutely. Is it worth it in my opinion? Absoluteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely.

      I can agree there are other ways to sell it, but I've found the longer the conversation goes on when I'm offering these services, the more "problems" they find in the service. Since they don't have it already, they don't want it, cause they're the business owner and "they know best". That's just the mentality I've ran into and maybe it's different in your part of the country, totally possible the markets are vastly different.

      Car sales in Washington and car sales in New York are vastly different, so this market could be that way as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    If you can get the person emotionally involved in the sales process you rarely have to handle objections!!

    I'm fact, the ONLY person that should handle objections is the prospect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997955].message }}
    • Originally Posted by iamchrisgreen View Post

      If you can get the person emotionally involved in the sales process you rarely have to handle objections!!

      I'm fact, the ONLY person that should handle objections is the prospect.
      good input


      Emotions:

      competition risk (fear of loss)
      take away's (take away, consultative, needs-based selling)
      guilt
      greed
      status
      etc..,

      training - spin selling, ari gulper, etc.., are good sources for more cutting edge ideas.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997983].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
      Originally Posted by iamchrisgreen View Post

      If you can get the person emotionally involved in the sales process you rarely have to handle objections!!

      I'm fact, the ONLY person that should handle objections is the prospect.
      Absolutely, but sometimes people are more emotionally attached to their money than opposed to the "emotional pain" you are presenting.

      Here's the problem with the emotional argument:

      Many times are offering something that they may have never (or only rarely) considered seeking on their own. They're not sitting around moping saying "I wish I had great rankings on Google and got more traffic"

      They might not even know how to go about finding it.

      So when you come up to them and present them this new service that can really help them, and use lines like, "Don't you actually want to utilize your website? (answer is of course, yes)" they will automatically, subconsciously, without doubt, picture their website functioning and performing better.

      This subconscious notion will normally lead them to want it more than not emotionally, but their logical senses will come up with objections to it no matter what.

      Example:

      Let's say you want a pair of new headphones. Let's say there are two models that the sales rep is showing you. A $100 pair with great features, and a $350 pair with all the same features plus a couple more. Let's say he's doing a great job explaining it to you and even says things like:

      "Imagine yourself not having to listen to all that outside noise with the noise cancelling, these things are really kickass man, you gotta get them, it's worth the extra money. I have a pair and I wouldn't own anything else"

      Even though that's a quickly conceived example, it's not ill conceived, and it would definitely make me want the nicer ones. However, I'll come up with enough reasons to NOT spend an extra $250 and get the cheaper ones. Why? Because humans are naturally suspicious and will object no matter how emotionally involved they are.

      Ever heard a woman say: "I love you so much, but it's not you, it's me"

      They're emotionally involved, but still walking away

      Am I saying that you SHOULDN'T attempt to involve emotions in the sales process? ABSOLUTELY NOT. You definitely should. But is it a better game plan to not only get them emotionally attached to an idea as well as having a strong background and confidence in your ability to overcome their logical objections? Absolutely yes. First overcome their brain and get them emotionally involved, then, overcome their logical brain (which will interfere no matter how much they want it) the best you can = sales.

      Just my two cents, once again, not arguing, just conversating.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998019].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jimbo13
        Originally Posted by Brenden Clerget View Post


        Ever heard a woman say: "I love you so much, but it's not you, it's me"
        'I agree. You're just not good enough'

        is my favourite answer to that one.

        Dan
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998062].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
          Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post

          'I agree. You're just not good enough'

          is my favourite answer to that one.

          Dan
          Lmao, touche.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998073].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Bobster0007
            Good read man. Like was already said, there are many different sales philosophies. Some work better for different people and also probably to different markets etc... I am just learning sales so I only can comment on my thoughts on what I have read or heard. I do believe that much of the old school ways don't work well anymore. I have Ari Galpers Mastery program. I like his no pressure, find the truth etc... type strategy. I also think that some of your stuff combined with his would be best. Anyway, I say do what works for you.

            ps... I tried selling cars and only sold 5 1/2 the first month and was fired. lol.... I love cars but hate the business and the managers... lol
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998732].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
              Originally Posted by Bobster0007 View Post

              Good read man. Like was already said, there are many different sales philosophies. Some work better for different people and also probably to different markets etc... I am just learning sales so I only can comment on my thoughts on what I have read or heard. I do believe that much of the old school ways don't work well anymore. I have Ari Galpers Mastery program. I like his no pressure, find the truth etc... type strategy. I also think that some of your stuff combined with his would be best. Anyway, I say do what works for you.

              ps... I tried selling cars and only sold 5 1/2 the first month and was fired. lol.... I love cars but hate the business and the managers... lol
              Yeah there are some unethical people in the industry. If you find the right place though, you can make good money and feel great about your job.

              And I agree with your points. It's all about how you present it and the skill the salesman has.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998879].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author misterme
        Originally Posted by Brenden Clerget View Post

        Objections are simply their way of saying they don't understand or have an issue with the deal they're getting.
        I think of them as lies and stalls, actually. I think no one really needs to "think it over", that they already thought it over and made their decision. And the decision was "no." Because if it was "yes" they'd be signing on the dotted line. But because it's "no" and people are uncomfortable with saying "no", they throw objections at you because that's easier for them to do.

        Then the salesperson takes on the objection but they're actually wrestling with a phantom, because the objection isn't really what's blocking the sale.

        And whatever the salesperson says, the prospect can counter (using your example):

        "Objection: I can't afford this.

        Answer: I understand you might feel that way. If you don't mind me asking, if price wasn't an issue or we can negotiate a price that suits your budget, do you feel this is the right solution/product/service for you?

        Objection: I wouldn't know. That's something I'd need to think about. But even if I did, I do know I can't afford it."

        As an aside: Why would an objection about their ability to pay come up at this late point in the process anyway? Shouldn't they have been qualified for their ability to pay so that this kind of objection is cleared out of the way?

        Though if you're getting results, one can't argue that.

        But it could be you'd get triple the results if you got rid of objections before they happened.

        Originally Posted by Brenden Clerget View Post

        Let's say you want a pair of new headphones. Let's say there are two models that the sales rep is showing you. A $100 pair with great features, and a $350 pair with all the same features plus a couple more. Let's say he's doing a great job explaining it to you and even says things like:

        "Imagine yourself not having to listen to all that outside noise with the noise canceling, these things are really kick ass man, you gotta get them, it's worth the extra money. I have a pair and I wouldn't own anything else"

        Even though that's a quickly conceived example, it's not ill conceived, and it would definitely make me want the nicer ones. However, I'll come up with enough reasons to NOT spend an extra $250 and get the cheaper ones. Why? Because humans are naturally suspicious and will object no matter how emotionally involved they are.
        That's not an example of the salesperson hitting your emotional buttons. That's an example of a salesperson explaining their own buttons.

        But a good salesperson will also know the prospect's skeptical and will include statements that speak to that in their presentation.

        Originally Posted by Brenden Clerget View Post

        Ever heard a woman say: "I love you so much, but it's not you, it's me"

        They're emotionally involved, but still walking away
        They're not emotionally involved at that point, actually, and haven't been for a while, which is why they can walk away. If they can walk away, then they're "emotionally divorced."

        The guy, on the other hand, tends to believe their "objection" and starts basing his response on that, when it's just her not telling him the real reasons because she doesn't want him to get upset or violent, or turn into a stalker. He's 200 pounds, she's 100 pounds, and she wants to stay safe. That's why it's "her, not him" in her story.

        So she's not going to tell him the real reason is she has a lover she's moving in with. She's not going to tell him she's leaving him because he was neglectful or emotionally abusive.

        Had the guy kept her in love however, he would've preempted all her objections.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001619].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
          On your first point: You make some valid points but to think that anybody can pace, lead and anticipate a lead's mental state well enough to avoid all objections is simply impossible, at least in my opinion. Some people can get really close by qualifying the prospect and the service correctly and efficiently without letting too much doubt creep in, but you have to practice a lot at reading people.

          Also, a rebuttal to his rebuttal:

          "Okay, let's take price out of the issue all together, and I'll work for free for a little while, and once you see the results and your website on the first page with leads flowing in, then start paying me. Just sign here and we'll get to work"

          I know the rebuttal to that: I won't be able to afford it when the time comes still.

          "That's fine, cancel then and we'll part ways and you'll get all that work for free. How about that for a great deal"

          You just have to get in with the prospect, you know that obviously, you seem well versed in this, because once you're in, you can really convert people.

          On your second point: Yeah, I was really tired when I wrote that example. It was way off base.

          Third point: Exactly, you're saying the same things I am, I think, in different ways. It's about sinking deeper and finding the real reason down inside, behind the objection, and not taking it for face value.

          Overall, really good post though, thanks for taking the time to write it!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5007471].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rushindo
      Originally Posted by iamchrisgreen View Post

      If you can get the person emotionally involved in the sales process you rarely have to handle objections!!
      What do YOU say to get the person emotionally involved in the sales process?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5001522].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Hi Brenden, I did say that you were providing real material. Again, I would like to make people aware that this overcoming objections method is not the only way to sell. I said earlier that you can get good at it, if you're willing to stick to it and learn all those objections and rebuttals. I think the most important thing I learned from Hopkins was the porcupine ("Do you have it in blue?" "Would you like it in blue?") and that is quite valuable.

    Part of why I speak strongly is to create dialogue. People do not respond to bland talk. So we have succeeded in this thread, I think.

    What I have an issue with here is:

    1. The intention directly stated in the subtitle (bamboozle them into buying, they'll never know what hit 'em)

    and

    2. Dropping your price. This causes you to lose credibility. If you've read some of my other posts, you'll see I have a way of countering that without compromising your integrity: "Sure, we can lower the investment. What features would you like to cut?"

    I worry very much that the intention here is to convert 100% of the people you talk to into customers. They may not be the right fit for problem-solving, budget, or personality issues! You do not want to make every prospect into a client!

    My sales cycle is short. I very rarely have to provide reference clients. I am well paid for what I do, because my clients understand exactly what value I'm giving them in return...and it's much greater than the investment. I do not have to do this objections-rebuttals dance to "close" a sale. Sounds different, no?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4997989].message }}
    • for you consideration:

      are objections good?

      then how do you explain a "laydown" sale?

      IMO. practice objection prevention, not handling.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998000].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
      Originally Posted by kaniganj View Post

      Hi Brenden, I did say that you were providing real material. Again, I would like to make people aware that this overcoming objections method is not the only way to sell. I said earlier that you can get good at it, if you're willing to stick to it and learn all those objections and rebuttals. I think the most important thing I learned from Hopkins was the porcupine ("Do you have it in blue?" "Would you like it in blue?") and that is quite valuable.

      Part of why I speak strongly is to create dialogue. People do not respond to bland talk. So we have succeeded in this thread, I think.

      What I have an issue with here is:

      1. The intention directly stated in the subtitle (bamboozle them into buying, they'll never know what hit 'em)

      and

      2. Dropping your price. This causes you to lose credibility. If you've read some of my other posts, you'll see I have a way of countering that without compromising your integrity: "Sure, we can lower the investment. What features would you like to cut?"

      I worry very much that the intention here is to convert 100% of the people you talk to into customers. They may not be the right fit for problem-solving, budget, or personality issues! You do not want to make every prospect into a client!

      My sales cycle is short. I very rarely have to provide reference clients. I am well paid for what I do, because my clients understand exactly what value I'm giving them in return...and it's much greater than the investment. I do not have to do this objections-rebuttals dance to "close" a sale. Sounds different, no?
      Okay, I guess if you have had a chance to read some of my systems you would realize we're very much on the same page here, with a few differing details.

      Yeah the subtitle is just simply in all honesty, a marketing effort to get views and interest through the entire thread when people see the WSO thread. The system itself is real content and it is strong, factual based sales knowledge I've learned through experience and college. But, I was marketing that system the last couple weeks (it's closed now, so no, I'm not marketing it now, because you simply cannot buy it) and those graphics really helped my conversions.

      As far as converting 100% of my prospects into clients, if I HAVE to drop my prices to land a client, I will. Are there a lot of times that the client is just fine with the price by the time I get done talking? Absolutely...

      But snagging more clients can't hurt, especially if they are more skeptical at first, and I can land them when I wouldn't otherwise, then prove myself through the actions and value I give them. They'll be a ton less likely to question me when I come back with new services, which obviously means, more revenue in the long run.

      I'm a big economics guy, and I majored in accounting/computer science, so my main goal when dealing with my business is to maximize revenue, and minimize time spent. If it saves me 20 minutes by cutting $300 off the price, and that means I can expect another $20,000 in revenue from the next year in recurring prices and new services, then that $300 is a nominal amount for me to give up initially, in my opinion. Any credibility lost, and I think it's a very minimal amount, if at all, is directly gained right back over the course of the relationship, plus much much more. Not to mention, you tend to get a lot more referrals when you give someone "that great deal" and their friends and family are asking about who to go through for services rendered.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    You should never ever drop your pricing. Add more value? Yes. Drop prices? Nooooooo sireee
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998026].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brenden Clerget
      Originally Posted by iamchrisgreen View Post

      You should never ever drop your pricing. Add more value? Yes. Drop prices? Nooooooo sireee
      Why not? Give me a real concrete reason...

      Ever heard of quoting high? You think a car dealership REALLY expects to get $25k for the car that books for $22k? No way. Will they if they can? Absolutely.

      Did they price you high initially on purpose? Absolutely.

      Did they originally expect to get 22k for it? Yeah, they did.

      Do you feel like you got a great deal and saved 3k? Yes, you do.

      Did the car dealership get what they wanted, and did you get what you wanted and feel like you got an awesome deal? Yep...

      So, the moral of the story: Sell high, quote higher
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMSince2003
    I totally stink at cold calling, I have to say. However, I find that even people who are not good at something eventually land sales if they do it enough times. In my case it was calling over 2,000 numbers for 3 solid leads. It was tough going, uphill both ways, but I did get sales. I've heard all of those objections and the rebuttals are pretty good IMO. Thanks for the share and the lively discussion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4998816].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5004188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Rivers
    Brenden,

    After many years of selling face-to-face, over the phone, online, in print and any combination of the above, I absolutely agree with you about having a polished and practiced ability to overcome objections...

    However...

    ...on a day in and day out basis, I'd much rather have pre-qualified leads who intend on buying from me, but simply have questions before they buy rather than prospects who have objections to buying. And I'd much rather spend my time on positioning myself properly and attracting those high quality leads who simply have questions before buying.

    For example, I've invested in several high ticket items for my offline business in the last several months and I didn't have objections to buying any of them because I was pre-qualified by the very nature of the offer (it solved my problem and promised a certain result) and the creators provided great details in the sales copy.

    I only had a few questions that I needed answers to before I bought in one or two cases. In fact, when asking the questions I would get annoyed if someone went into their semi-combative/insulting objection overcoming scripts.

    I was already pre-sold. I just needed a few answers about the product and in many cases, I would start by saying, "I'm going to buy it, but I need answers to a few questions first..."

    When that's happening, there's much better energy flowing, resulting in a stress-free presentation and easy-going work flow around the transaction.

    In fact, I get prospects all the time who start their emails and phone calls with me the same exact way. My goal is to turn that into a 99% of the time occurence in my own business.

    So, while I definitely acknowledge that salespeople absolutely, positively need the ability to overcome objections, I just think there's a different way to sell that addresses these perceived or real objections to buying (in the marketing/sales copy) that leaves a salesperson refreshed, energized and enthusiastic about facing each interaction with a prospect because after all, the salesperson is usually dealing with prospects who just have questions before they buy instead of objections to buying.

    Just a different mindset, marketing funnel and goal to building a business.

    Thanks,

    Chris
    Signature
    [AGENCY OWNERS & MARKETING CONSULTANTS]
    Want to target Chiropractors? Grab this FREE DFY Chiropractic Back Pain Funnel
    and generate new patient leads for your trial or recurring Chiropractor clients!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5008175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Most of handling objections is how you do it... Comes with practice, you want to address it, resolve it, and parlay right back into your pitch.

    Every time you offer a rebuttal, you are giving yourself one more chance to get through your entire pitch. Does that mean you are going to sell everyone?

    No.

    It means you just bought yourself one more chance to make a complete sales presentation than you would have if you had gotten shot down on the first objection. Many times if someone gets a chance to hear your whole pitch they change their mind.

    The issue is, which having a bunch of rebuttals handy helps with, that most people arent doing full pitches...they are greeting alot of people , but not pitching alot.

    It would be shocking for some to know just how much their chances would increase for a sale if they were able to get past their greetings more often and actually get to pitch.

    Its about mastering your transitional phrases to where you can turn them smoothly on a dime, and get in and out of your rebuttal without missing a beat.

    I agree with others here that there are less aggressive ways - If you want 2 sales a month and that makes you happy.

    Originally Posted by Chris Rivers View Post


    I only had a few questions that I needed answers to before I bought in one or two cases. In fact, when asking the questions I would get annoyed if someone went into their semi-combative/insulting objection overcoming scripts.
    Understandable. The fact still remains though that we make less sales per day than an average 10 dollar per hour telemarketer when we are passive. In fact for most passive approaching types, even 2 sales per month is a pretty good month.

    Im not being argumentative, really, but it just depends on what you want...To feel cushion, or to run a hardcore organization that makes multiple sales daily and has a duplicable system for creating success...?

    Either wayis fine, cushioney is good, but make no mistake that telemarketers who adhere to a system of pitching will get 5-10 times the amount of sales than an average "consultant" who takes a more passive approach, the proof of that is all around us with over 4 million telemarketers in the USA alone. employed full time, going at it aggressively all day.

    Most will say they dont want to pitch that way...but they DO want to HIRE someone who can pitch that way!! Unless they have something against making lots of sales.

    These things about "I hate pushy pitches" have been said for 50 years, they arent new. In my first telemarketing job 22 years ago, people were saying that the market no longer responded to that...back then there were only about 250,000 telemarketers employed...Today the industry is ten times bigger...


    There will always be those who dont like the hardcore salespeople, and who would never survive on wall street... and there will always be the wallstreet style types who are about results and not so much about feeling cushy.

    One wears a rolex, and the other a timex... either way is a persons choice, but you cant be a rolex wearing salesman, with a passive timex wearing approach.

    Both kinds will always be with us, and to each his own... there are different schools of thought, but major industries are built on the systematic types, and systems that are duplicable, precise, verbatim, and deliver predictable results based on certain repeated actions.

    Its age old wisdom, and the people arguing it have age old arguments.

    Chris, I like your posts. This is just intelligent debate...

    It has been said that one way to sell very little is to assume that everyone else feels the same way you do on a subject.

    99 out of 100 people will tell you they hate those pitches, but most of them have been sold by one, and probably will be again, because its what works BEST, I dont make the statistics...I just observe them.

    Most people here cant get their telemarketers to sell anything, and its because they arent driving their operation like a machine. They are leaving too much to choice and chance.If Im wrong correct me, but if you arent selling 5k per month per customer type services, then you need consistent daily volume to have any kind of viable "business" that operates full time.

    Originally Posted by kaniganj View Post


    First, this is one way to do Sales. The Tom Hopkins, struggling, overcoming objections, kicking back with feisty rebuttals, wrestling match style. It's not the only way.

    Second, the intention is right in the title: How to get sales before they even know what happened (???!)
    When I see stuff like this it makes me think of all the people I had to fire for low production over the years because while others were making tons of sales all around them they said it wasnt their "style" to be aggressive... "It wasnt their way...".

    No major organization that requires a consistent quota to operate can tolerate such dispositions.

    Honestly...

    Sometimes I wonder if people here really want to have sales organizations that thrive or not. Its like football, it isnt personal, its a sport... people are just handling their business, and they are in business to makes sales, just like football players are on the field to "WIN" , nothing personal or cushy about it till after the game.

    No wonder we are all working by ourselves from home and nobody has a major sales force it seems. I for one, have ran and even created from the ground up several of such sales forces, so pardon me if I dont include myself in that equation.

    If you have a handful of sales people producing consistently, then you have a canned sales presentation. If all your salesman are just mavericks then you depend on people and their moods and personalities... Smart companies are system dependent , not "people" dependent.

    Once a salesman reaches a certain plateau, they can be more passive, but we are teaching mostly newbies here, not 20 year salesman... and most people are looking to build a "force" on duplicable systems... You cannot duplicate "winging it", and certainly cant make projections on it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5009046].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    John, you are clearly invested in the transactional model of selling.

    There are other ways of selling, which can be even more effective and allow you to keep your integrity. A major reason I do what I do is to turn the public perception around of salespeople as slimy tricksters who will say anything to get an order.

    To equate a different style of selling with low production shows that you don't understand it. The people who you say you fired for low performance and didn't want to sell the way you do almost certainly didn't have another sales process of their own to consistently follow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5009749].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by kaniganj View Post

      John, you are clearly invested in the transactional model of selling.

      There are other ways of selling, which can be even more effective and allow you to keep your integrity. A major reason I do what I do is to turn the public perception around of salespeople as slimy tricksters who will say anything to get an order.

      To equate a different style of selling with low production shows that you don't understand it. The people who you say you fired for low performance and didn't want to sell the way you do almost certainly didn't have another sales process of their own to consistently follow.
      There are other ways of selling, which can be even more effective and allow you to keep your integrity.

      Very judgmental and presumptuous choices of words, also lacks understanding. With all thy getting, one should get it. I have never lacked a moment of integrity on the phone, and there are millions of other "pro's", who dont lack it either.

      Presumptuous I say because you assume others are ignorant of your "consultant approach". No one is ignorant here or inexperienced in consulting type sales...

      John, you are clearly invested in the "transactional model of selling".


      Not really, for an entire year now I have been telling people not to rebuttal at ALL... but thats just because I thought thats where they were at and what they could assimilate at the time. The track record of my posts will tell you that teaching "rebuttals" at the Warrior forum, is something I just started doing weeks ago...so, no not so invested.

      Im more invested in telling people not to rebuttal. Again, that was to help them achieve quick success without a long learning curve. Now some are ready to up their game.

      Ps. arent all sales transactions? Maybe I need to brush up on some fancier terminology...

      A major reason I do what I do is to turn the public perception around of salespeople as slimy tricksters who will say anything to get an order.


      Actually your way of evangelizing does the exact opposite and makes them all look bad except YOU!

      When Mari says "I dont have any money on my credit card" and I say "Thats okay, I wouldnt be able to ship your product until the billing date, but I could post date the billing for you on a card until whatever date you specify, that way you can reserve your special price while we are having the sale... Would that help you out Mari?"

      What is slimy about that? Please do tell. Sounds like Im offering a great solution personally. I mean its a "rebuttal" but its not a wrestling match. You are being presumptuous and generalizing, and projecting your own feelings about a style of selling, but you clearly didnt stick with it long enough to understand what it really is. being aggressive isnt lacking integrity - Its being in the race to win it...not just to say "Hey look Im in a race".

      To equate a different style of selling with low production shows that you don't understand it. The people who you say you fired for low performance and didn't want to sell the way you do almost certainly didn't have another sales process of their own to consistently follow.

      I do understand it... and I promise you arent getting a sale every single day. You probably know it too. How do I know? Because I do, I have trained a thousand sales people, and I equate passive consultative type selling with low volume from experience... I promise you Im not wrong, but feel free to say i am.

      Consultative type selling is fine if you sell group health insurance to companies with 100 plus employees... But if you are only selling INDIVIDUAL health?

      You need to be at least making a sale a day to keep a roof over your head.

      Most of the people here arent generating the kind of commission on a sale that a person who sells a large corporate deal is generating... If thats the case, sure take 6 months to close a deal.

      My approach does not lack integrity. And my truths arent fact just because I say they are... But they still are "fact", or I wouldn't waste my time teaching them and you wouldn't see all these people getting sales from taking the advice.

      Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in awhile, but one who can see gets more.

      Ps. Im not saying there arent other ways either...its clear there are MANY ways...
      But I have trained enough telemarketers to know which ways are more effective than others.

      This all only my experience. Take it or leave it. Im just offering it. And a little fired up at one who points fingers at others integrity, just because they are aggressive and want to be champions.

      It, this thinking you are evangelizing, contributes to that whole self sabotage thing people have to deal with, and creates struggle about being successful..."I sure dont ever want to be rich, because then Illl be one of those selfish horrible people that step on others and are all about winning...".

      Those are the same people who provide JOBS for others.

      People who are aggressive about closing deals arent all mean and nasty, they are just focused, and they enable the slackers to still get a paycheck even when they didnt perform... They carry alot of weight in an organization.

      All rich people arent selfish just because they have alot... and offering a rebuttal certainly does not lack integrity nor is it slimy...but that thought helps alot of people sleep at night who arent forward enough to offer rebuttals.

      Pps.

      People who sell hard, can afford to "give" more, thats how I see it. Clearly you are invested though in teaching offline marketing... so please, dont let me block. Im outta this thread.

      Take it or leave it. Thanks to the OP for a great subject and contribution.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5009855].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
        Boy are YOU overreacting, John! I never accused you of being anything other than invested in the objections-rebuttals style of selling.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5010081].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Durham
          Originally Posted by kaniganj View Post

          Boy are YOU overreacting, John! I never accused you of being anything other than invested in the objections-rebuttals style of selling.

          I think you are quoted as using the term "lack of integrity" and your meaning was clear to anyone who can read.... Im not over reacting. Im just having fun.

          Plus, 5 paragraph answers come easily when you know what you are talking about and dont have too think to hard about it.

          People who know me here understand this isnt over reacting, its just "John posting".
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5010097].message }}

Trending Topics