by tuscan
22 replies
Hey guys,
What are some of your best practices for emailing? In other words, after scraping a list of emails off YP or Google Places, what techniques have worked best for you when sending out, say, 1500 emails at a time to businesses that you want to market to?
#emailing #tips
  • Profile picture of the author iThinkhard
    - tip 1: don't try to sell anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5355640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YourProfessional
    The biggest feedback I've gotten (I have VAs who cold call and cold email for me) is:

    Thank you.
    Signature
    Honest, No-BS Reviews Of WSOs...
    I test products... before I give my final review.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5355749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DNChamp
    So far I sent about 35 emails that I have broken down by city and service. In my email I wish them a happy new year, tell them who I am and what I do but towards the bottom I tell them Im not sending you this emal to BUY NOW (in caps) this is just an email to let you know we are here for you should you need any of the services listed.

    This is just a trial for me as I will change it up for every city to see how the response is. So far in 2 days no response LOL but again they may not need me now and maybe will later.

    Im thinking though in my next email to change it a bit with a special offer but then that kinda waters down my dont buy now approach :/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356440].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iThinkhard
      Originally Posted by DNChamp View Post

      Im not sending you this emal to BUY NOW (in caps) this is just an email to let you know
      I can smell embedded commands from a mile :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356520].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DNChamp
        Originally Posted by iThinkhard View Post

        I can smell embedded commands from a mile :p
        What are you talking about? Is this not such a good idea to let them know im not just trying to sell them something? explain a bit to help make it better please
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356600].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iThinkhard
          Originally Posted by DNChamp View Post

          What are you talking about? Is this not such a good idea to let them know im not just trying to sell them something? explain a bit to help make it better please
          (I have copied this explanation on embedded commands from another website)

          You can create a sentence that conveys the contra positive but only bold the command portion. These may seem a lot more obvious but the average Joe doesn't know linguistic concepts so they will likely treat it like every other copywriting sentence, consciously. Subconsciously, especially if rapport was established, they will accept these commands and ultimately become more susceptible to your suggestions. Here are a few examples:

          You don't have to decide now.
          You don't have to trust me, check out these testimonials.
          So on and so forth. Some common commands include:
          • trust me
          • decide now
          • believe me
          • call me
          • do what I say
          • agree with me
          • buy today
          • desire more
          • read each word
          • change your life

          These methods are used in abundance in sales copy. Find a product being sold online and chances are you will find that they emphasize embedded commands in their copy.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356932].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DNChamp
            Originally Posted by iThinkhard View Post

            (I have copied this explanation on embedded commands from another website)

            You can create a sentence that conveys the contra positive but only bold the command portion. These may seem a lot more obvious but the average Joe doesn't know linguistic concepts so they will likely treat it like every other copywriting sentence, consciously. Subconsciously, especially if rapport was established, they will accept these commands and ultimately become more susceptible to your suggestions. Here are a few examples:



            So on and so forth. Some common commands include:
            • trust me
            • decide now
            • believe me
            • call me
            • do what I say
            • agree with me
            • buy today
            • desire more
            • read each word
            • change your life
            These methods are used in abundance in sales copy. Find a product being sold online and chances are you will find that they emphasize embedded commands in their copy.

            Thank you for making your explanation clear....and pretty dead on LOL!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5360621].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iThinkhard
          Originally Posted by DNChamp View Post

          explain a bit to help make it better please
          I am not saying it is good or bad, that phrase is using a manipulation technique to command the user to buy your product.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5356979].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RRG
    If you're scraping for emails and sending 1500 at a time, you're a spammer. Even one-at-a-time cold emails to people who don't know you are going to be about as valuable as a share of Enron stock.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5357104].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author YourProfessional
      Originally Posted by RRG View Post

      If you're scraping for emails and sending 1500 at a time, you're a spammer. Even one-at-a-time cold emails to people who don't know you are going to be about as valuable as a share of Enron stock.
      I have to disagree. It depends on HOW you doing your email marketing. Creating individual emails for each customer, depending on their needs, still gets effective results.
      Signature
      Honest, No-BS Reviews Of WSOs...
      I test products... before I give my final review.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5357118].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HypeText
        Originally Posted by YourProfessional View Post

        I have to disagree. It depends on HOW you doing your email marketing. Creating individual emails for each customer, depending on their needs, still gets effective results.
        The key there is sending individual emails. The poster stated they were scraping and sending 1500 emails at a time. that is, by definition...SPAM
        Signature
        (916) 520-HYPE (4973)
        Local & Mobile Marketing Solutions
        $0 Setup & $99/mnth Private Label Reseller Accts
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5368144].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RRG
        Originally Posted by YourProfessional View Post

        I have to disagree. It depends on HOW you doing your email marketing. Creating individual emails for each customer, depending on their needs, still gets effective results.
        I'm not saying it will NEVER work to send unsolicited email to cold prospects.

        But if you think about your own inbox and how much value YOU place on an unsolicited email from someone you don't know . . . you'll realize it's a tough way to go.

        Besides, while everyone else is sending out their worthless, unwanted cold emails, you could be making a call . . . or sending a letter . . . or clipping an interesting article and sending it . . . or any number of things.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5368210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    MOST IMPORTANT abide by the ICAN rules for sending business related emails. You can send unsolicited emails with commercial intent as long as you abide by the rules.

    1. Make known the commercial intent in the subject line.
    2. Include a link to not receive any further emails from you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5357148].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tuscan
      Good advice, Russ. By following these guidelines, will you most likely avoid problems with your hosting provider re:spam? I've heard that some people have had their service provider threaten to cut them off because they sent out 1,000 or more at a time. Is there a way to send out large numbers of emails without running into these problems?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5368046].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author payment gateway
    I've always found that the best day/time to email is Tuesday mornings. Response rates are always higher on Tuesdays than any other day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5358306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author universefriendly
    Keep on building trust by giving value. It's also important to give value again to those that don't buy and DO buy. Build relationships!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5358592].message }}
  • Hi Tuscan,
    Below are some of the best practices which can help you in emailing :
    • Get Permission to avoid SPAM penalties
    • Build a Targeted Mailing List
    • Work with a Clean, Targeted Database
    • Adopt a Strategy of Persistence
    • Tell a Story - use good subject line which drives the users to drill into the mailer
    • Have an Exit Strategy - determine a successful formula to know your industry
    • Best Practices is to know what you want - the goal of your campaign or defining the success of your campaign
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5387329].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tuscan
      Originally Posted by Direct Connect Group View Post

      Hi Tuscan,
      Below are some of the best practices which can help you in emailing :
      • Get Permission to avoid SPAM penalties
      • Build a Targeted Mailing List
      • Work with a Clean, Targeted Database
      • Adopt a Strategy of Persistence
      • Tell a Story - use good subject line which drives the users to drill into the mailer
      • Have an Exit Strategy - determine a successful formula to know your industry
      • Best Practices is to know what you want - the goal of your campaign or defining the success of your campaign
      Excellent advice and thanks for sharing.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5411301].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author powerofschool
    First divide your list in to categories.
    And when preparing your Advertising mail , first prepare interesting information related to that product. People won't like to buy or take leads forced.
    They should be attracted by the words, so you will get more conversions and you will get good results with email marketing.
    Signature
    Download Good Morning Images Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5411373].message }}

Trending Topics