Making 40 Cold Call Dials today

16 replies
As part of my accountability, I thought i'd commit to 40 'dials' today.

If I call someone and they don't answer, I still count that as a dial (for the purposes of tracking activity).

The point of the call is to invite local companies to a seminar.

It's 11am here and I don't have much free, so i'll be doing them throughout the day between tasks.

Here we go...
#call #cold #dials #making #today
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    Blimey - two of the people I have spoken to already are retiring and selling their businesses ... (wonder if that's the new way to get rid of cold callers).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aclacy
    Tell them you'll find a buyer for a commission, might make more than an offline contract.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    12 calls so far:

    7 need a call back
    4 said no (various excuses)
    1 said they'd be interested (need to email the details)


    Not bad for about 15 minutes work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402607].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iThinkhard
    can you post the script you are using to cold call?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402663].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
      Originally Posted by iThinkhard View Post

      can you post the script you are using to cold call?
      Really simple one today:

      Whoever picks up the phone, I say something like this to them ...

      "Hi, my name is Chris Green, I am looking for Business Owners in the Birmingham area that would like to attend a seminar where they will learn how to get more clients. Who should I send the invite to."

      Then ... I either get the email address of the person to invite, or I realise I am talking to the business owner and then I can get them to commit there and then.

      If I get an email address, I will email and then call them back within 2 days.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Tunnah
    Good for you Chris. Hope you do well with your calling.

    Rich
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    23 calls so far:

    8 need a call back
    7 said no (various excuses)
    8 said they'd be ok receiving an email and a call back.

    I'm still not giving much information away at the point of first contact, but I am building a list of local people that are telling me that they need more clients.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402838].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    Having a coffee and a break now...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5402844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    I am trying something different out with the recent calls ...

    "Hi, my name is Chris Green. I am running an event in February for Business Owners in the Birmingham area that want to get more clients in 2012. I have some complimentary places left, who should I send the invite to?"

    I'll let you know the difference...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403032].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rusty1212
    Sounds like dedication ! I've never had to do cold calls, it seems like something that requires rather thick-skin.

    Definitively commendable !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Don't worry about changing your script yet. You haven't got enough data to have "succeeded" or "failed." Just remember to remove your emotional attachment to the outcome of the call.

    Your results are great. 2/3 of the people are actually answering the calls, and 1/3 are interested.

    Converting the "interested" into "attending" will be the interesting step after this work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5403446].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aduttonater
      Sweet this motivates me to make cold calls. I've always been one to talk on the phone, but when it comes to finding out who makes the decision within the business, is when you start going places. I'd invite them to the free webinar, as a token of appreciation from one marketer to another. This way they don't feel like they are being sold, or are going to be sold in the near future. Your just trying to expand their knowledge in their field, and inviting them to the free webinar should do exactly that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5404085].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    Ok guys, here's the results for today's efforts:

    40 calls:

    14 need a call back
    10 said no (various excuses)
    16 said they'd be ok receiving an email and a call back.


    I think that's a decent result and it didn't take that much time up. I need to be prompt now getting the emails out to those that responded well.

    One other interesting lesson "don't stop at no". Obviously if they sound like they want to get off the phone then let them, but if they say it's not for them then it pays to find out why sometimes.

    Here's an example. One guy said "No mate, i've tried all that internet stuff"...

    I simply said "oh, what was it that you tried that didn't work".

    This ended up in a 10 minute chat where I found out he was frustrated with other internet guys calling him. But in the end we had a laugh and he agreed to email an invite out to companies that he worked with to see if they wanted to come along.

    It's amazing what a bit of bonding can do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5404151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author teemoney
    do you mind sharing the script you use when making these calls?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5405863].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jimbo13
      Originally Posted by teemoney View Post

      do you mind sharing the script you use when making these calls?
      Started with:

      Originally Posted by iamchrisgreen View Post

      Really simple one today:

      Whoever picks up the phone, I say something like this to them ...

      "Hi, my name is Chris Green, I am looking for Business Owners in the Birmingham area that would like to attend a seminar where they will learn how to get more clients. Who should I send the invite to."

      Then ... I either get the email address of the person to invite, or I realise I am talking to the business owner and then I can get them to commit there and then.

      If I get an email address, I will email and then call them back within 2 days.
      Ammended to:

      Originally Posted by iamchrisgreen View Post

      I am trying something different out with the recent calls ...

      "Hi, my name is Chris Green. I am running an event in February for Business Owners in the Birmingham area that want to get more clients in 2012. I have some complimentary places left, who should I send the invite to?"

      I'll let you know the difference...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5406216].message }}

Trending Topics