Telesales Callback Techniques...

15 replies
After seeing David Miller's excellent thread on closing strategies, I was inspired to come up with a similar idea that should GREATLY help my fellow phone guys.

Callback techniques

I'll start it off with some advice, and then you guys can take the reins from there with your strategies.

Callbacks in and of themselves are an art form. Although I've done single call, multi call and sequenced call sales, I consider myself a "One-Call-Closer". Give me the iciest of leads you have; online, the Yellow Pages, D & B, whatever...and chances are I can close them on the spot. However...

You simply cannot close everyone. No matter how good you are.

I would venture to say that a whopping 90% (in my professional guesstimation) of prospects who ask for more information before committing to a deal ARE COMPLETELY BOGUS. Yep, you read that correct. 9 times out of 10, the prospect is just using the "more information" line to get you off the phone.

Only a measly, teeny weeny 1 prospect is being straight with you. Telling you the truth. This person really does want/need more information, ie; he needs something to show his partner, he's old (from the newspaper age, lol) and needs to physically hold something in his hands before making a decision, etc.. etc., etc.

What I want to focus on here is this 1 out of 10. Why?

Because you don't want to leave $$$ on the table.

Going on our earlier 1 in 10 example, it would be totally realistic to expect the "send me more information" line 40 to 50 times if you're making 100 calls per day, 5 days per week. Let's call it 40. However, we now know that only roughly 4 of them are genuine.

Hopefully, you're good enough to weed out who's BS'ing you and who isn't. And hopefully you didn't send information to all 40 prospects

You should now have 4 or 5 people that you sent your literature to, who genuinely sound interested in your product or service.

I'm going to share with you my technique which should help you close most of these callbacks

It all starts once you're on the phone and have figured out, yep, this guy is for real. He ain't jiving me. This person really DOES want further info so he can move forward. Once you have this person, here's what you do...

Prospect: "I'm really, really interested in this. It sounds fantastic. Can you send me some information I can take a look at?"

Me: "Sure, David, let me just go over your address information to make sure I have it correct (go over address). Great! Just grab your calendar or a piece of paper David so I can pencil you in"

(Prospect has paper)

Me: Okay, David, I'm going to send you out the package tomorrow, you should receive it in roughly 3 or 4 business days. I'll give you an additional couple of days to look it over, so, why don't you pencil me in there for April 26th. Would you rather I give you a ring in the morning or the afternoon?"


Prospect: "Oh, mornings are much better"

Me: Super! Why don't we call it 10am then. Just bear with me while I slip you in on my pad here (fiddle around for a moment or two like you're writing) Okey dokey, David! As I said, give the package a couple of days to arrive, and I'll get back to you on the 26th. Appreciate your time and we look forward to helping you grow!"


That's all there is to it. Easy as pie. However, there are a few important psychological elements contained in this little piece that make it deadly...

1. You're stretching out time - again, most people that request more info are bull****ting. They want to get off the phone as quick as possible. By you going through the whole rigamarole of the setting up the call-back, you're feeling the prospect out. During this stage, if they rush or tell you "they don't have time for this", they've revealed themselves as liars. If they really DID want more info, they'd gladly go through this process.

2. By making the prospect jot down the date, you're sending the signal that this is real. There's a commitment here. The simple act of him putting pen to paper further cements that you're going to call back. He'll feel really bad breaking this commitment because - in his mind - it's now "official", it's written down.

Now, here's the sweet, juicy part of this technique...

On the day of the callback, what you're going to do is either send the prospect an email or leave a voicemail (I strongly prefer email) with the following message EARLY IN THE MORNING...

Your Message: "Hi, David, this is Daniel with Pyramid Scheme Industries. I just wanted to send this as a heads up on our 10am appointment. I have some terrific news for you! I'll only need you for 5 minutes"

Haha, this is so lethal it should be illegal

Once the prospect see this message, he'll remember the appointment - if he hasn't already. And just like a curious little cat, he's now wondering what the "good news" is. We ALL love getting good news. Believe me, he'll be thinking of this all morning. How do I know? I've had prospects tell me they were wondering about the news for hours Finally, he should have received and looked over your literature. Now...

If the prospect calls or emails you breaking the appointment, this guy is a bull****ter. Plain and simple. I normally take this persons info and burn it at the stake. However, if you're the kind and generous type, feel free to re-schedule him. If you haven't received a reply, it's time to make some money!

Once 10am rolls around, you're going to dial the prospect back using this script tailored to your situation:

You: "Hi, David, Daniel with Pyramid Scheme Industries. Before I go any further, I'm not sure if you received my email, but, some terrific news for you. I hope your sitting down?

(Prospect will laugh 9 times out of 10)

You: "I spoke with my manager this morning and he agreed to an upgrade on your account/product/service. To show you how much we'd love to have you on board, we're going to be throwing you in an additional 50 widgets upon sign-up. Now, I'm sure you've looked over the information, so, fire away with any questions you have, OR, just grab your pen so I can get you started, David!!!"


If the prospect has any questions, simply use my closing strategy I outlined in David Millers thread on closing. If not - and you'd be surprised how often they don't - CLOSE THE SONOFABITCH!!!

This works. A lot. Use it. I can go into the "why's" of it, the psychology, and all that jazz, but, no need to. Just try it for yourself and see

Who's up next?
#callback #techniques #telesales
  • Profile picture of the author alamest
    I liked what you said, never done tele call but done selling on the street for 6 months I understand the pain what I gone through, it was so difficult to explain every the product and service on street cause the problem was not with my sales pitch but it was problem with the product, it was not selling by anyone.. But thanks for sharing it..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082108].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
      The Sales Guy,

      Very good information on call backs. That seems to be one area most TMers don't talk about. That doesn't make them less real. It simply may mean they don't know how to handle call backs.

      I know we have them in our business. Just because I called you today doesn't mean it is a good time for you to talk to me. If you say call me back on such and such at this time, you better believe my smiling face is calling back. Landed some decent sized policies that way too.

      Have a great day,

      Tom
      Signature
      Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

      The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082311].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author David Miller
        Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post

        The Sales Guy,

        Very good information on call backs. That seems to be one area most TMers don't talk about. That doesn't make them less real. It simply may mean they don't know how to handle call backs.

        Tom
        I believe a lot of TM'rs don't talk about it because a lot of them don't bother with it. Many people on this forum have expressed a reluctance towards the phone in the first place. With that being part of the issue, it's not likely that call backs are placed in the que with much priority.

        A majority of telemarketing models are based solely on the one call close philosophy, so call backs are often looked upon as a foolish endeavor by the more experienced and hardened phone pros. I'm sure there are many of us who have worked with phone people who are busy building a pipeline while most of the others are busy building their paychecks for that week.

        Clearly there are some situations that may require call backs for any number of reasons. My experience in this forum tells me that many people will agree with what I've just said, particulary in regard to price. However, there are just as many that will say they've closed deals of 6 figures (to the left of the decimal) in one phone call.

        The Sales Guy's methods for call backs are on the money. Nothing that I could add to any of it. I think the key is to prioritize your call backs so that it doesn't take away from your income. A statistic often mentioned is something along the line of 70-75% of all business is closed on the first call. With that number in mind, it's critical to focus on that first call and leave the call backs for later.

        One thing that The Sales Guy puts forth here that is golden is to use the preparation for the call back as a tool to make something happen. Make them work for the privilege of having you spend more time and you may find that you end up closing on that first call.
        Signature
        The big lesson in life, baby, is never be scared of anyone or anything.
        -- FRANK SINATRA, quoted in The Way You Wear Your Hat
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6086917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amsterdam81
    Inspirational thoughts! thanks for sharing

    cheers!
    Signature

    Tired for paying expensive TV CABLE? Look no further, iptv subscription reliable iptv subscription, iptv providers, best iptv subscription, premium iptv channels, over 15 000 channels, 40000 VOD the biggest in the market! http://polarbeariptv.net/iptv, tech blogs

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082401].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
    I find that 19 of 20 callbacks are utter wastes of time and I won't do them at all anymore. "Send me some information (and I'll do whatever)" is a tried-and-true method for getting rookies off the phone and every prospect over 30 years old knows how and when to use it.

    The Sales Guy has a good technique here. If you decide you want to call liars back, following his method will keep you from getting fired or starving.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087192].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Miller
      Originally Posted by beeswarn View Post

      I find that 19 of 20 callbacks are utter wastes of time and I won't do them at all anymore. "Send me some information (and I'll do whatever)" is a tried-and-true method for getting rookies off the phone and every prospect over 30 years old knows how and when to use it.

      The Sales Guy has a good technique here. If you decide you want to call liars back, following his method will keep you from getting fired or starving.
      I completely agree that call backs are predominantly a waste of time. However, what I do like is the tactic of "working them over" so to speak. Getting a pen and paper, setting a call back time, etc., etc. From time to time I've done this although I have to admit it's beenn quite by accident. Some of those times, those extra couple of minutes have allowed to conversation to continue long enough to bring about some additional questions that can bring out the real objection.

      Another value to the call back is this:

      It's Monday morning and that phone looks like it's 300 pounds and sticky to boot. Just like a writer with writer's block will use the trick of rewriting his last few pages to create a synergy to continue on, so does the telemarketer who is having a hard time getting the day started.
      Signature
      The big lesson in life, baby, is never be scared of anyone or anything.
      -- FRANK SINATRA, quoted in The Way You Wear Your Hat
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087637].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Sales Guy
      Originally Posted by beeswarn View Post

      I find that 19 of 20 callbacks are utter wastes of time and I won't do them at all anymore. "Send me some information (and I'll do whatever)" is a tried-and-true method for getting rookies off the phone and every prospect over 30 years old knows how and when to use it.

      The Sales Guy has a good technique here. If you decide you want to call liars back, following his method will keep you from getting fired or starving.
      Beeswarn, I happen to be a hard core, take-no-prisoners, go-for-the-throat one call close guy. I want the money now. Better yet, yesterday. However, as all good salespeople know, sometimes what we want doesn't exactly align with what a potential customer wants.

      I agree that virtually all CB's are a complete and utter waste of time...virtually all.

      The simple fact is, a very small minority of prospects legitimately do want/need to see further information before making a buying decision - for whatever reason. My question is...

      Why throw these "on the fence" buyers away? Let's go to the videotape, shall we???

      Based on your quote; "19 of 20 callbacks are utter wastes of time", that would mean this...

      Almost any phoner can do at least 100+ calls per shift. For simplicity, let's call it a nice, even 100.

      Out of that 100, let's say you're able to fully pitch 40 people. Further, let's say you get the "send me more info" line just 4 times out of the 40 (though it would probably be much higher). At the end of a 5 day work week, that would give you 20 prospects who requested further information, capice?

      However, again, using your numbers, there's really only 2 valid, legitimate people who'd like follow-up info - 8 per month.

      Even the lousiest of true phone men would be able to close at least 25% of those...thereby giving you an extra 2 deals per month, or, 24 deals per year. Now, I don't know how good you have it, but, I'm certainly no Rockefeller. Having an - conservatively speaking - extra 24 deals yearly is nothing to sneeze at.

      We can dispute and argue the facts all day long. However, it will not change this...

      Nobody can sell everybody during the course of one phone call. So, if it takes two, or even three calls to close a sale, as long as your pocket will be fuller, what's the big deal?!

      @David Miller - David, anyone that claims, or has claimed, to close a six figure deal in a one call close IS A TOTAL BULL****TER! Even if it were a warm call or blazing, hot, return call, it's virtually impossible.

      Typically, the higher the dollar amount of the sale = more calls and a longer sales cycle. From my own experience, I'd say anything higher than a couple of grand and you're looking at a multi-call close scenario.

      For six figure deals, the typical sales cycle normally runs from a month to three months, to as much as a year. However, the people that do this ARE NOT considered true "phone men", in my eyes. At this level, it's more about that consultative selling BS, relationship building and all that jazz. You're simply a friendly order taker, IMO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088678].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author David Miller
        @The Sales Guy -
        Just for the sake of clarity...what I said was that there are people here who would claim that. Not that I have....I realize people say LOTS of things here!



        @David Miller - David, anyone that claims, or has claimed, to close a six figure deal in a one call close IS A TOTAL BULL****TER! Even if it were a warm call or blazing, hot, return call, it's virtually impossible.
        Signature
        The big lesson in life, baby, is never be scared of anyone or anything.
        -- FRANK SINATRA, quoted in The Way You Wear Your Hat
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088761].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The Sales Guy
          Originally Posted by David Miller View Post

          @The Sales Guy -
          Just for the sake of clarity...what I said was that there are people here who would claim that. Not that I have....I realize people say LOTS of things here!



          @David Miller - David, anyone that claims, or has claimed, to close a six figure deal in a one call close IS A TOTAL BULL****TER! Even if it were a warm call or blazing, hot, return call, it's virtually impossible.
          I realize that, David. I wasn't calling you out Surely, you wouldn't be foolish enough to say something like that, because, like me, you've been around the block a few times And we both know someone closing a six figure deal on a one-call-close would be akin to seeing a cow flying through Time Square.

          I was referring to you having seen others on here who have claimed that feat. Complete nonsense.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrew H
    YES YES YES. I needed this. I love this.

    Thanks!
    Signature
    "You shouldn't come here and set yourself up as the resident wizard of oz."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    You're posts excite me sales guy!

    This is some of the most on point telemarketing stuff I have read, and it's obvious that whoever wrote this has def spent some significant time in the booth.

    I am very anxious about you because it takes awhile to know at WF iwhether someone is legit or not, even though they seem brilliant... Please forgive me for that. If you are though, I want to hire you to mod my forum, in the event that its an interesting proposition for you.

    This stuff is the real deal and you communicated it well!

    I dont like to use the f word that much but F'n "A" !

    This is one of the best posts I have ever read, and reflects EXACTLY how it is done!

    Not that Im anyone except a guy who posts alot but Im watching you man!

    The one question that this comprehensive and BRILLIANT post leaves me with though is- "Where's co-co?

    If you read between the lines you will see the compliment in that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089726].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Sales Guy
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      You're posts excite me sales guy!

      This is some of the most on point telemarketing stuff I have read, and it's obvious that whoever wrote this has def spent some significant time in the booth.

      I am very anxious about you because it takes awhile to know at WF if someone is legit or not, even though they seem brilliant... Please forgive me for that. If you are though, I want to hire you to mod my forum, in the event that its an interesting proposition for you.

      This stuff is the real deal and you communicated it well!

      I dont like to use the f word that much but F'n "A" !

      This is one of the best posts I have ever read, and reflects EXACTLY how it is done!

      Not that Im anyone except a guy who posts alot but Im watching you man!

      The one question that this comprehensive and BRILLIANT post leaves me with though is- "Where's co-co?

      If you read between the lines you will see the compliment in that.
      J.D., thank you for the kind words. There quite a few "phoners" on WF, all with different skill sets and experience under their belts. For sure, based on your posts and track record, you are someone that's been in "the trenches."

      I actually checked out your forum for the first time, yesterday. I commend you for putting together such an informative TM community. Surely, I'll be posting there quite often in the future. Finding the time however is the tough part. Isn't that always the case?!

      Sadly, I'm quickly finding out that people on here don't want to "learn" anything. Rather, they're looking for the quick fix. The magic bullet. "Fix my script", "why can't I close anyone?", "help me make quick sales", etc., etc., etc. As you know, it does't work this way. People actually have to put the work in for themselves. Get their hands dirty.

      If posters would simply take the time to SEEK OUT and APPLY the priceless information that yourself and others take the time to share, it would open up completely new avenues of opportunity. However...

      We both know that only a miniscule minority will do this. Free information isn't appreciated. You know the saying; "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish.........."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089936].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by The Sales Guy View Post

        J.D., thank you for the kind words. There quite a few "phoners" on WF, all with different skill sets and experience under their belts. For sure, based on your posts and track record, you are someone that's been in "the trenches."

        I actually checked out your forum for the first time, yesterday. I commend you for putting together such an informative TM community. Surely, I'll be posting there quite often in the future. Finding the time however is the tough part. Isn't that always the case?!

        Sadly, I'm quickly finding out that people on here don't want to "learn" anything. Rather, they're looking for the quick fix. The magic bullet. "Fix my script", "why can't I close anyone?", "help me make quick sales", etc., etc., etc. As you know, it does't work this way. People actually have to put the work in for themselves. Get their hands dirty.

        If posters would simply take the time to SEEK OUT and APPLY the priceless information that yourself and others take the time to share, it would open up completely new avenues of opportunity. However...

        We both know that only a miniscule minority will do this. Free information isn't appreciated. You know the saying; "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish.........."
        Well, it "feels" like no one is listening at times... and yes, its easy to get a sense of apathy... I have fought it at times, however when you look at the grand scheme HUNDREDS of people HAVE gotten on the phone here and made sales, and thousands have had a seed planted in them that may grow down the road and enrich their life.

        If I were attached to a certain outcome, or felt the need to control what the universe already does, I would worry over every seed I plant...but as it stands, the best thing to do is plant the best seeds you can...and let the natural laws worry over the outcome.

        Its just like running a room, there are always complainers, and others who choose to excel... and on any given day the ones who excel could be complaining at the moment when one who used to be afraid is just blossoming.

        We have to be more concerned with our missions themselves than the outcomes, and do what we do...and guess what?

        The students appear.

        They ALL want to learn something, you just cant expect them to start responding like that your first week... Many people (and I have watched 50 of them come and go just over the last year) come here and want to become a "guru" (for lack of a better word).

        They all say they dont, but what they are doing is teaching and so the truth is self evident. You obviously came here to teach telemarketing and not learn it.

        Let's be real. Its okay. You are good.

        Just be legit, and show people that, and they will come to you in droves because what you are saying is true.

        If not, it was nice knowing you... I sincerely mean this, no sarcasm at all - It would be great to see an experienced teacher (Yes, its obvious you arent a newby) like yourself turn out to be legit. I would be your best advocate personally.

        As far as there being alot of "phone guys" here...That was a political statement.

        Sure, there are guys making sales on the phone , but a phone salesman and a pro telemarketing trainer are two different things, or else everybody in a call center would be each others supervisor. Just like a trainer and a "phenomenal" trainer are two different things. I know that because I have not opnly been the telemarketer and trasiner, but also a man who has spent alot of time and energy trying to train new trainers.

        Teaching and training and motivating is a separate thing on its own, from being a "phone guy".

        You have too much talent to ever feel the need to be pretentious, or give off false humility.

        Hey, Im a phone guy...remember? I can read people from a "hello".

        When I started doing this there wasnt enough "time" , I was running appointments and doing my own calling and I had two lead generation telemarketers on a dialer I was monitoring...but the universe always brings you what you need, in order to do what you do, and money came to justify the time.

        Im mature enough at this now to quit trying to hide the fact that I make money at it, that just insults people.

        You are too big for that too.

        Just say "Im a trainer", and let us start to embrace it... It would be a shame to waste all your talent and not keep spreading the love.

        Time tells all...and I hope to see you here for a long while.

        One thing time has already told is that you have alot of talent and alot to offer !

        Much love , much love.

        -JD


        Ps. Im more than someone who has been in the trenches my friend, I am a bonifide record breaking champion!

        Lol.

        And proud of it!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6090090].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The Sales Guy
          Jeepers, talk about a post, John, lol. I hope you didn't construe my rant as going all "negative nancy." Honestly, I'm a glass half full kinda guy. The reason I first landed here was because I was simply looking to pick up a few strategies on offline marketing, ie; postcards, direct mail, copywriting, etc. I know a fair bit on the topic, but, was looking for a new angle or two. An original hook. Then...

          I kept seeing posts pop up in relation to TM. As with any other forum out there, it's always better to be a giver rather than a taker. To ingratiate oneself. If I was seeking knowledge, I could surely dispense a tip or two in return. And sales happens to be my stock in trade. So...

          A post here, a post there, and voila, here I am.

          Not quite sure where you were going with the "political" statement you referenced, but, I can assure you the following...

          Mama always told me to NEVER discuss the following three topics in public:

          1. Sex

          2. Religion

          3. Politics

          So, as a new guy here, I don't have a dog in this race. Politics don't concern me. And even if they did...I ain't tellin

          As for the teaching, John, I'll leave that to others. I've already gleaned a ton of useful info from this site (especially Ewen's great advice on copywriting So, if I can help with any constuctive advice for others, I simply consider it a part of the process.

          Over and out...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6090308].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author John Durham
            Originally Posted by The Sales Guy View Post

            Jeepers, talk about a post, John, lol. I hope you didn't construe my rant as going all "negative nancy." Honestly, I'm a glass half full kinda guy. The reason I first landed here was because I was simply looking to pick up a few strategies on offline marketing, ie; postcards, direct mail, copywriting, etc. I know a fair bit on the topic, but, was looking for a new angle or two. An original hook. Then...

            I kept seeing posts pop up in relation to TM. As with any other forum out there, it's always better to be a giver rather than a taker. To ingratiate oneself. If I was seeking knowledge, I could surely dispense a tip or two in return. And sales happens to be my stock in trade. So...

            A post here, a post there, and voila, here I am.

            Not quite sure where you were going with the "political" statement you referenced, but, I can assure you the following...

            Mama always told me to NEVER discuss the following three topics in public:

            1. Sex

            2. Religion

            3. Politics

            So, as a new guy here, I don't have a dog in this race. Politics don't concern me. And even if they did...I ain't tellin

            As for the teaching, John, I'll leave that to others. I've already gleaned a ton of useful info from this site (especially Ewen's great advice on copywriting So, if I can help with any constuctive advice for others, I simply consider it a part of the process.

            Over and out...
            No I didnt interpret you as being negative, just discouraged, that you felt no one was hearing you.

            Whether you decide you be a trainer or not, you will be what you "are", and if you wrote those words in that OP, then I have spent years searching for guys like you.

            Sorry if I didnt communicate that.

            Ps. I can type almost as fast as I think. lol A post like this is what you do before breakfast to warm up.

            "Political" means I felt you held back your true confidence with that statement so as not to make waves, or hurt anyones feelings...step on toes... again, no ill intentions.

            Cya round.

            Originally Posted by The Sales Guy View Post

            Jeepers, talk about a post, John, lol. I hope you didn't construe my rant as going all "negative nancy." Honestly, I'm a glass half full kinda guy. The reason I first landed here was because I was simply looking to pick up a few strategies on offline marketing, ie; postcards, direct mail, copywriting, etc. I know a fair bit on the topic, but, was looking for a new angle or two. An original hook. Then...

            I kept seeing posts pop up in relation to TM. As with any other forum out there... So...

            A post here, a post there, and voila, here I am.

            Yup. Thats how it works. Your destiny's find you when you are in tune...and stuff just lines up.. and before you know it. "Viola, here I am! -Hey! How did I get here?"
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6090334].message }}

Trending Topics