Cold Calling So Frustrating...

25 replies
Yeah, I'm just venting. Sorry guys.

I understand that I can't know everything about cold calling. But the last call I had really made me angry.

I spent a couple minutes asking an electrician about his business, trying to qualify him. But I could tell he was just trying to find the intent of my call.

I was purposefully dodging the question, trying to dig for more info. He keeps telling me that he's 'flat out' and 'only works with builders' and 'isn't interested in domestic' (I can tell he's trying to suss if I'm even buying or not).

So just for fun (since at this point he's pretty sure I'm a sales guy), I say 'Yeah I just had a couple of friends needing their investment properties wired up'. Just hearing his complete turn around from 'oh we are too busy' to 'ummm ummm well ummm just hold on ummm i think we could...' made me pretty annoyed.

It really just seems like...if you aren't calling to give them money, they don't want to hear a word of it. I mean, when everyone on this forum, literally everyone says you are LUCKY to get a 3% interest rate...And that's just interest...How does anyone run a business around here?

Again, sorry about this. Just venting.

EDIT : Just for a funny update, I had an idea pop into my mind 'What if I just asked them what they would expect to pay for a site, then just massively undercut that?'

Literally did that on the next call, asked him what he would pay, he wasn't sure, so I just said '$300' (didn't include hosting) and he said 'Done'.

Maybe I should try this approach more often? It's not alot of money, but the cost of a site to me is less than $50 to make so it's still profitable.
#calling #cold #frustrating
  • Profile picture of the author Jerry Williamson
    Have you ever attended a BNI meeting? I think you would find that a very good alternative (or at least good addition) to cold calling. Happy to chat if you want.

    Jerry
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6454153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abbot
    Banned
    Originally Posted by payoman View Post

    Yeah, I'm just venting. Sorry guys.

    I understand that I can't know everything about cold calling. But the last call I had really made me angry.

    I spent a couple minutes asking an electrician about his business, trying to qualify him. But I could tell he was just trying to find the intent of my call.

    I was purposefully dodging the question, trying to dig for more info. He keeps telling me that he's 'flat out' and 'only works with builders' and 'isn't interested in domestic' (I can tell he's trying to suss if I'm even buying or not).

    So just for fun (since at this point he's pretty sure I'm a sales guy), I say 'Yeah I just had a couple of friends needing their investment properties wired up'. Just hearing his complete turn around from 'oh we are too busy' to 'ummm ummm well ummm just hold on ummm i think we could...' made me pretty annoyed.

    It really just seems like...if you aren't calling to give them money, they don't want to hear a word of it. I mean, when everyone on this forum, literally everyone says you are LUCKY to get a 3% interest rate...And that's just interest...How does anyone run a business around here?

    Again, sorry about this. Just venting.

    EDIT : Just for a funny update, I had an idea pop into my mind 'What if I just asked them what they would expect to pay for a site, then just massively undercut that?'

    Literally did that on the next call, asked him what he would pay, he wasn't sure, so I just said '$300' (didn't include hosting) and he said 'Done'.

    Maybe I should try this approach more often? It's not alot of money, but the cost of a site to me is less than $50 to make so it's still profitable.
    By no means am I an expert, or even consider myself to be experienced. But based on what I have learned here cold calling is a numbers game. You are going to get them tire kickers. And of course they won't want to hear you out if your selling them something. You should NOT be selling them anything...You are presenting a problem and pointing them in the direction to solve that problem ---> YOU.

    I think that may be part of your problem. You did exactly what I use to do. You going into this with the wrong mentality. YOU ARE GIVING THEM MONEY. By opening an online presence, you are exposing them to customers/clients that they were NEVER exposed to before. You are leveraging the power of the internet to funnel customers into their wallets. YOU ARE GIVING THEM MONEY. You just have to show them how. Offer them value, don't sell to them.

    Present a problem, show possible solutions, show them that by using your service to solve the problem(s) you are making them money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6454369].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author payoman
      Originally Posted by abbot View Post

      By no means am I an expert, or even consider myself to be experienced. But based on what I have learned here cold calling is a numbers game. You are going to get them tire kickers. And of course they won't want to hear you out if your selling them something. You should NOT be selling them anything...You are presenting a problem and pointing them in the direction to solve that problem ---> YOU.

      I think that may be part of your problem. You did exactly what I use to do. You going into this with the wrong mentality. YOU ARE GIVING THEM MONEY. By opening an online presence, you are exposing them to customers/clients that they were NEVER exposed to before. You are leveraging the power of the internet to funnel customers into their wallets. YOU ARE GIVING THEM MONEY. You just have to show them how. Offer them value, don't sell to them.

      Present a problem, show possible solutions, show them that by using your service to solve the problem(s) you are making them money.
      The problem, I think (and what has happened recently has proved this), is that people go into what you are selling with a pre-conceived mindset about the product or service.

      In this case, people listen for the absolute basics, which are 1. What are you selling and 2. What is a normal price for that.

      When they realise 1. I am selling a website and 2. That websites don't make money AND are usually expensive, they lose interest.

      ONLY by addressing number 2, in my last dozen calls, have I gotten SIGNIFICANTLY more interest. (To clarify, I just tried selling website for $300 over the phone. Out of the last 20 calls, I had at least 20% interested. Contrast that with not giving a figure in my last 230+ calls and having a 2.3% conversion rate, and you realise why I am having so much trouble.)

      Basically, people listen to what you have to sell, and for what price. If they don't see HUGE value (and they do when you tell them you can do a website for $300), they are instantly aversive to the idea.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6454680].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by payoman View Post

        The problem, I think (and what has happened recently has proved this), is that people go into what you are selling with a pre-conceived mindset about the product or service.

        In this case, people listen for the absolute basics, which are 1. What are you selling and 2. What is a normal price for that.

        When they realise 1. I am selling a website and 2. That websites don't make money AND are usually expensive, they lose interest.

        ONLY by addressing number 2, in my last dozen calls, have I gotten SIGNIFICANTLY more interest. (To clarify, I just tried selling website for $300 over the phone. Out of the last 20 calls, I had at least 20% interested. Contrast that with not giving a figure in my last 230+ calls and having a 2.3% conversion rate, and you realise why I am having so much trouble.)

        Basically, people listen to what you have to sell, and for what price. If they don't see HUGE value (and they do when you tell them you can do a website for $300), they are instantly aversive to the idea.
        1.) People that immediately dismiss you without understanding, are not your market.
        2.) People that are not interested, are not in your market
        3.) People that can't afford it, are not your market.

        You get them out of the way for the yes's.

        So you have a 2.3% sales conversion rate? That's nothing to complain about.. that's good. Most people are around .75%-1%.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6455083].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          1.) People that immediately dismiss you without understanding, are not your market.
          2.) People that are not interested, are not in your market
          3.) People that can't afford it, are not your market.

          You get them out of the way for the yes's.


          So you have a 2.3% sales conversion rate? That's nothing to complain about.. that's good. Most people are around .75%-1%.
          Payoman, this is basic, detailed telephone qualifying and the basics are important. Making all the blocks and all the tackles allows you to score in business.

          You simply cannot do this as efficiently in person, in e-mail or with TV, radio and print. This is why the telephone is the greatest business implement ever devised.

          Sales is a process and every "Not interested," "No budget," or "Go to hell" moves you further along in the process of calling qualified prospects you can sell to.

          You should end a day like you had feeling confident, not frustrated. You're doing everything right.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6456777].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          1.) People that immediately dismiss you without understanding, are not your market.
          2.) People that are not interested, are not in your market
          3.) People that can't afford it, are not your market.
          Great advice.

          In your mind you need to set that standard and tell yourself that you only work with the right type of person. You aren't for everyone.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6457177].message }}
        • Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          1.) People that immediately dismiss you without understanding, are not your market.
          2.) People that are not interested, are not in your market
          3.) People that can't afford it, are not your market.

          You get them out of the way for the yes's.

          So you have a 2.3% sales conversion rate? That's nothing to complain about.. that's good. Most people are around .75%-1%.

          Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6461670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
    Originally Posted by payoman View Post


    EDIT : Just for a funny update, I had an idea pop into my mind 'What if I just asked them what they would expect to pay for a site, then just massively undercut that?'

    Literally did that on the next call, asked him what he would pay, he wasn't sure, so I just said '$300' (didn't include hosting) and he said 'Done'.

    Maybe I should try this approach more often? It's not alot of money, but the cost of a site to me is less than $50 to make so it's still profitable.

    That worked for a variety of reasons, One of the reasons it worked
    happens to be one of the HARDEST lessons to learn.

    You were in control of that conversation, you did not care what his answer was
    you did not beat around the bush, you got right to business.

    If you can capture that feeling, if you can repeat the "i don't give a flying ***k if
    you buy from me or not " attitude

    your sales are going to go thru the roof.

    But you have to mean it, exude it, ( not be a cocky jack ass ) its not what you
    said .. its how you said it, it was the "vibe " they felt

    it put you in control, it gave them a connection to you
    it made them want you, and made them want your product

    Man you hit pay dirt, and you don't even realize it

    i really hope you read this reply, and try and recreate
    what you did .. it will literally change your life forever
    if you can
    Signature

    Selling Ain't for Sissies!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6456378].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
      Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

      That worked for a variety of reasons, One of the reasons it worked happens to be one of the HARDEST lessons to learn.

      You were in control of that conversation, you did not care what his answer was
      you did not beat around the bush, you got right to business.

      Payo, please pay very close attention to what he's telling you here
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6456670].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
      Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

      If you can capture that feeling, if you can repeat the "i don't give a flying ***k if
      you buy from me or not " attitude

      your sales are going to go thru the roof.
      This is gold. Once a sales professional stops caring about the sale. Once they realise that if someone qualifies themself out that is a good thing because they can talk to the next one. Once they truly have confidence the numbers change. They start closing more. They spend less time with strokers. Hell they spend less time with buyers.

      They finally get the point that people want to buy. The only question two questions are what are they going to buy and who will they buy from. If you don't have what they are going to buy they qualified themselves out, move on. If you do then why wouldn't they buy from you? I mean you have the best services, right? The best value, right? And people love working with you personally, right? So if they don't buy it is their loss, so move on to the smarter prospects.

      It's not cocky. It's not arrogant. It's confidence. It's belief in your products, services, company, and yourself. People love confidence. The vast majority of humans are followers. Even business owners. So they are drawn to listen to leaders. If you are confident people assume you are the leader. It is instinct.

      Be the leader.
      Be confident.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6457204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
    Originally Posted by payoman View Post

    It really just seems like...if you aren't calling to give them money, they don't want to hear a word of it.
    Payo, if you keep that in the front of your mind from now on you will be soon be a very successful salesman.

    Business people do not go to work to answer phones, read e-mail, have meetings etc. That's what employees do. Business people go to work to make money and only to make money.

    Originally Posted by payoman View Post

    I mean, when everyone on this forum, literally everyone says you are LUCKY to get a 3% interest rate...And that's just interest...How does anyone run a business around here?
    The critical thing to understand about this forum is that most people in it don't know what they're talking about and don't make any sales.

    Learn to distinguish between dials and calls, and between calls and presentations. Then divide your # of sales by your # of presentations made over a meaningful period of time and you'll see why certain people here always recommend telephone prospecting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6456641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Huskerdarren
    Good job on getting that sale. You are experiencing the harsh reality of cold calling. You're going to hear all kinds of things and deal with all types of people. It's frustrating to get 97 no's out of 100. It takes mental toughness that most people just don't have to keep with it. They will search high and low to find anyway that does not include the phone. There are other ways of course. It just depends how quickly you want to get to the dollar. The first 5 or so calls is the hardest, and then you get into a rhythm and the confidence that you can do it. Remember this, sales people are some of the highest paid people around and there's a reason for it. I almost never hear successful people brag about how easy it was. When they do, I don't believe them. Good luck and keep at it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6456842].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
      Payoman,

      You did good brudda. This is just me talking cuz I've been doing it for 27 years. Instead of frustrating I set my mind in a different tone. I called it fun. I couldn't wait to hear what the next gimoke was going to say.

      When I was a stock broker, I put 333 (funny # isn't it) on the books in 6 months all out of the white pages. Everyday at 8 a.m. I'd start calling. It got so some of the people remembered me and we actually had a good chat. Sometimes they even became clients.

      In 2008 when my son and I opened up an insurance agency the phone put 1200 clients on the books in a little over a year. The others came via word of mouth or drive bys. Today we don't cold call for insurance, we cold call for web biz.

      Tomorrow we will pick up one more check for $400 w/a 150 monthly recurring from a small paralegal biz. I got them from the local throw away ad paper. They were on the front page so that was my invite to call.

      You really don't have to work hard or get yourself all worked up in this biz. In fact, here's all I say when I call:

      Hi, Joe. My name is Tom Koziol. I own a local web design and marketing company. I was calling to see if we could get together about a web site or some marketing.

      I then shut up and let them talk. The most common objection is cost. Mind you I haven't given them a cost but that is their objection. When they say it, I tell them the website is free. Well sir, they have no more steam.

      Do I get them as a client. sometimes yes, mostly no. Why no? Because it is like IAmNameless says. Therefore they have eliminated themselves and I like that.

      My little speech can get picked apart by the phone guys all day long but it works for me (bank acct proves it). Find one that works for you and don't let anybody scare you off it. Remember you are giving them free money and what's doing that is your phone script. Keep it.

      Good luck and keep hustling. One day WOM will be the only source of your $$$. I guarantee it.

      Tom
      Signature
      Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

      The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6456968].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TheCG
        Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post

        I tell them the website is free.
        Alright Tom, I am intrigued. How exactly are you making money by giving away websites for free?

        Oh, I have heard all of the tricks like making your money by selling the hosting, etc. but I don't think you are doing this.

        Care to share?
        Signature

        Yes, by the way, I AM in the Witness Protection Program. I could tell you who I am but then I would have to kill you.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6457854].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
          Sure, I'll share. We don't give away free websites. That is my answer to the cost/ I can't afford objection. It always takes the steam out of their sails and we either have a meaningful conversation or we don't. Simple as that. If cost is truly the problem, we'll talk about it or we won't. BTW, I pick up a check tomorrow for $400 from a can't afford it prospect with a monthly recurring of $150. It'll be a simple site and I happen to like the ladies who run the business so we lowered the price just for them. That's how my free answer works.

          For me to continue talking w/the prospect as well their telephone demeanor has had to be polite up to that point. Remember I called them so I can hang up or discontinue the call just like they can.

          My attitude has always been I'm making you money so give me the courtesy of listening to me. If you don't, you are the loser. I simply move on to the next one. What I've learned over the last almost 30 years is the next call always brings a client. It can be five calls later but bingo! there's a client.

          That's how I put up the numbers I did and still do. My wife tells me my don't give a s*** attitude towards prospects seems wrong. My answer to her is to get on the phone and try your luck sweety. Let's see what kind of attitude you develop.

          I even use the two sentence script I listed. We are either gonna do biz or I'm calling the next prospect. Simple as that. They will be there in 3 months when I call back .

          OK, I'm blathering so I'll quit. Long answer but that's how I do it. I realize there are super sharper people at cold calling on this forum than I am but I found a script that works and I use it.

          Have a great day and thanks for asking the question.

          Tom

          Originally Posted by TheCG View Post

          Alright Tom, I am intrigued. How exactly are you making money by giving away websites for free?

          Oh, I have heard all of the tricks like making your money by selling the hosting, etc. but I don't think you are doing this.

          Care to share?
          Signature
          Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

          The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6458568].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TheCG
            Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post

            Have a great day and thanks for asking the question.
            I have only been doing this for a little while now and have a few clients but I know there are still alot of things I could be doing better so I am always looking for a new angle that might improve things.

            You have a great day as well and thanks for answering.
            Signature

            Yes, by the way, I AM in the Witness Protection Program. I could tell you who I am but then I would have to kill you.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6458639].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
              Originally Posted by TheCG View Post

              I have only been doing this for a little while now and have a few clients but I know there are still alot of things I could be doing better so I am always looking for a new angle that might improve things.

              You have a great day as well and thanks for answering.
              You say "I am always looking for a new angle that might improve things" and I believe you. Let me ask you a question. Have you cold called in person? That is definitely cold calling in the rawest form.

              If you haven't, let me suggest it will improve your demeanor, presentation and closing skills. There's something magical about being eye to eye with the decision maker. One of you is gonna best the other. Almost like combat.

              Of course if you've tried it then forget my suggestion. Here's something else I did. I had a friend call several of his friends and make an appointment for me to talk to them. I was a stock broker at the time. The friends knew who I was, what I did and why I was coming to talk to them.

              They agreed to the appt only because my friend was the go between. Other people will tell you that's a warm call. Yeah, right. Not when you set it up the way we did. That also helped me improve my face to face cold calling skills.

              Mind you, I was raw, wet behind the ears and green at cold calling at the time so I needed something, anything, to get my ass in gear. I realize there are folks on this forum who will tell you my method was idiocy but so what, they weren't in my shoes at the time.

              Not bragging but I put 333 clients on the books in six months starting from ground zero. That was before the Internet when all we had was the phone and eyeball to eyeball contact. Today, do one WSO and you have a thousand or more clients. Big difference.

              Guess what I'm trying to say is do something you haven't done before and you'll definitely improve.

              Tom
              Signature
              Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

              The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6458899].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author payoman
                Appreciate the replies, alot of excellent info here.

                In truth, it is becoming easier to take the no's. For some reason today, I had alot more leads than yesterday. Unfortunately, these haven't translated to sales yet, but I sent about 7 or 8 so it might take a couple of days.

                But here's a question : am I going to improve conversion rates by following up all my quotes over the phone? Or should I just send the quote and wait?

                I don't want to seem desperate by calling up the quote, but maybe it could help?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6461515].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Bucker
    1. As namless says its a numbers game. every failed call is one step closer to your yes.

    2. Purposly dodging what the customer wants to talk about will lose you sales.

    3. I like the fact that you did turn around and change the next call. tweeking your process continually will indeed help you make money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6457623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rbecklund
    Good info here.

    In almost a year of cold calling I've learned to expect that most people won't be interested in a website, but if I just make enough calls I will get sales. Cold calling is pretty easy when I keep this in mind. When I forget this simple fact is when I get frustrated and cold calling becomes a struggle.

    Related to the confidence thing, I used to hem and haw some with prices and ours were pretty low. Now I have no problem saying our prices (and they are double what they used to be). The price doesn't seem to matter in getting clients, but it does weed out the low ball pain in the arses.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6457735].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author newbizideas312
    Cold calling is a bitch. However it still has power. You have to know how to do it. If you're selling a "me too" type service, and have the same pitch.

    Hey this is ___ and I wanted to see if you would buy my **** today. The business owner doesn't even hear your words. They have telemarketers calling all day long. They're numb

    Be different. If you were buying what you sell, what would peak your interest? What would reduce the risk? what would make you buy?

    Some people might need to get in the right state of mind. If you are scared they will sense that. If you are mad, they will sense that too... It's in your VOICE.

    Did you know that tonality of your voice has way more to do then the words you use? Once I started training my voice, people listened to me more.

    Here is a good article that talks about some of the things you need your voice to do.

    Tips On Public Speaking - Using Your Voice To Wow Your Audience!

    Lastly, make sure you are in the right state of mind. Call 5 random companies or restaurants to get warmed up. Get excited. Sales is the transference of emotion.

    I sold my absolute best, when I was excited about helping them out, they sensed it, and I closed deals. Hope that helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6457871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Bucker
    I agree with newbiz here. Attitude is everything and it shows in your voice tones. One may want to go back to the ole using anchors to set your attitude in the right place.

    Anchor as associations in the mind used in advertising and often can create a mood out of thin air. They are created in our minds as we live life’s experiences yet we can also set our own anchors.

    Two ways to set anchors, Extreme emotion mixed with physical action and repetitive referencing. An anchor can take your from one extreme emotion to the next in matter of seconds. Set positive anchors.

    How do you set an anchor? Find a word or group of words that will link you to a positive experience that makes you feel good, Or motivates you whenever you think about it. You can also use these words to tie you to a song that inspires you. Music is a great motivator.

    Example, one way I handle my approach is I often say "sold" when approach and potential client. I do this because, say your family member is looking at your services you know that are going to buy. Since you know they are the questions, statements and objections don’t bother you. They roll right off you and you just a handle them with a smile and move on. You don’t get worked up because you already know you have a sale.

    Thus, I say "sold" before I approach my potential client. If they are indeed sold in my head then I will handle their questions, statements and objections as such and in a more positive nature. The attitude will be detected.

    Your attitude affects the customers, which affects the rapport, which affects the direction, which affects the gross and finally the sale.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6457998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rearden
    You've got -- what -- probably 7 to 15 seconds to establish who you are, why you're calling, and what you're value proposition is.

    Get to the point -- no need for gimmicky scripts -- just establish the purpose of your call with a goal to start a conversation, in order to disqualify.
    Signature
    David Duford -- Providing On-Going, Personalized Mentorship And Training From A Real Final Expense Producer To Agents New To The Final Expense Life Insurance Business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6458306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author everge
    Hi Payoman,

    I would follow up the quote by phone as it will increase your conversions. If you leasve it to them to get back to you, you could be waiting a long time.

    Give it a day or 2 and then call them, gives you an excuse to ask if they received your quote via email and then ask when do you want to get started.

    That should sort out the ones that a serious or not and you can move onto the ones that a keen to start.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6461658].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J smith
    Payoman, if they are only interested in you giving them money (and really, what else should they be interested in?) Then why not tell them that the purpose of your call is to do just that, give them money, in fact thousands of dollars. But unlike their regular customers, you don't need any work done, so the way you give them money is by getting them more clients.

    Now, you have a method/program (or w/e you are selling) that has worked well for others in their/related industry. But you need to see if they are a good fit for it, then ask if they have 5-10-whatever minutes to answer a few of your questions. If they say no, chances are you weren't going to sell them anything (to me it seems most business owners are absolutely horrible when it comes to looking at marketing as investment, worst yet they won't be swayed from that position no matter what you do) If they say yes, you have a chance to sell them on your offer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6461957].message }}

Trending Topics