help with cold calling..yes another newbie

39 replies
ok so i know what my approach is going to be and i know what i am going to say
but i make the first call and they answer and i get stuck i had to hang up.
this happened twice already.
what can i do to get rid of this fear?
i know i have to do it because my bank account has 2$ and getting a
job would mean quitting offline so that is not an option.
i know i have to get on the phone and dial all day long because i need at least
5 sales between now and next tuesday.

so please people what to do to get rid of this fear of cold calling.
i know once i do i will start to kill it in offline
#callingyes #cold #newbie
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Heres how

    Take the pressure off of yourself to get a result from each call, and just read your script. Write it in front of you, and put a note on your computer monitor that says "Just deliver the message".

    I felt like the pitch was stupid at a place I worked when I was younger, and so I wrote a note to remind myself that my job wasnt personal , and it helped me roll things off by realizing that my only job was "just to deliver the message", and the NUMBERS would take care of sales if I did that- no pressure on me, except to keep dialing and saying the message- if they hang up so what? Im not going to die from that. lol.

    The other thing is to realize that they dont really think much of getting a sales call. its part of business, and most of them are entreprenuers and will understand if you are new.

    Tell them,, I have never done this before but Im a web designer and I am trying to dig up some interest...Just wondering if there was any web projects on the back burner I could help you with"?

    see that was easy.

    Now if you are trying to sound like a big deal and your vibe doesnt match that pitch yet, I can see how you would be nervous.

    For nervous people, just be genuine... simplify your pitch to match your vibe- be real- the nervousness will go away after 20 calls or so.

    What is real?

    Real is: "Im just calling to find out if you folks have any web projects you have been thinking of that I could help you with".

    Thats as real as it gets. Nothing intimidating about asking that right?

    Whats the chance that you are going to dial a hundred numbers and NOBODY has a web oproject they have been thinking of?

    Not much.

    Dont take it personal, let the numbers do the work, if you mess up so what, just dial another number. I priomise those people arent thinking about it 60 seconds after you hang up.

    Take the pressure off yourself and act like its a job- "Just deliver the message" thats all, dont worry about whether they want it or not, your job isnt to create interest, its to "FIND" interest.

    Hope this helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6619880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author henry Argueta
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      Heres how

      Take the pressure off of yourself to get a result from each call, and just read your script. Write it in front of you, and put a note on your computer monitor that says "Just deliver the message".

      I felt like the pitch was stupid at a place I worked when I was younger, and so I wrote a note to remind myself that my job wasnt personal , and it helped me roll things off by realizing that my only job was "just to deliver the message", and the NUMBERS would take care of sales if I did that- no pressure on me, except to keep dialing and saying the message- if they hang up so what? Im not going to die from that. lol.

      The other thing is to realize that they dont really think much of getting a sales call. its part of business, and most of them are entreprenuers and will understand if you are new.

      Tell them,, I have never done this before but Im a web designer and I am trying to dig up some interest...Just wondering if there was any web projects on the back burner I could help you with"?

      see that was easy.

      Now if you are trying to sound like a big deal and your vibe doesnt match that pitch yet, I can see how you would be nervous.

      For nervous people, just be genuine... simplify your pitch to match your vibe- be real- the nervousness will go away after 20 calls or so.

      What is real?

      Real is: "Im just calling to find out if you folks have any web projects you have been thinking of that I could help you with".

      Thats as real as it gets. Nothing intimidating about asking that right?

      Whats the chance that you are going to dial a hundred numbers and NOBODY has a web oproject they have been thinking of?

      Not much.

      Dont take it personal, let the numbers do the work, if you mess up so what, just dial another number. I priomise those people arent thinking about it 60 seconds after you hang up.

      Take the pressure off yourself and act like its a job- "Just deliver the message" thats all, dont worry about whether they want it or not, your job isnt to create interest, its to "FIND" interest.

      Hope this helps.
      thanks a lot john this helped a lot
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6620090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

    ok so i know what my approach is going to be and i know what i am going to say
    but i make the first call and they answer and i get stuck i had to hang up.
    this happened twice already.
    what can i do to get rid of this fear?
    i know i have to do it because my bank account has 2$ and getting a
    job would mean quitting offline so that is not an option.

    i know i have to get on the phone and dial all day long because i need at least
    5 sales between now and next tuesday.

    so please people what to do to get rid of this fear of cold calling.
    i know once i do i will start to kill it in offline
    Yeah cold calling is a great way to start getting sales... however...

    I think you probably SHOULD get a job. Not everyone is meant to do this, not everyone has the drive to do it. You now, not only have a week to make "5 sales"..which is an amount you didn't disclose, but you have no experience with calling.

    Not everyone needs experience, you gain experience when you do it... but that isn't the issue.

    The issue is, you've waited however long it has been, to not do anything to generate sales or even leads. You've given yourself a deadline to make something work that you don't know if it will work by experience.

    John will be a better help than me, because I just don't think you have what it takes to do it. It's irresponsible to wait this long and put this much pressure on yourself. My advice would be get a job, save up money enough for 6 months of bills and then give it another shot. Call on your lunch break to "overcome your fear" and prospect at night when you're off work. That way you can have income while trying to see if this in fact IS something you can or even really WANT to do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6619935].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author somacorellc
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      Yeah cold calling is a great way to start getting sales... however...
      Yeah, this. I had a decent paying job when I started my business, and I waited 18 months between building my business and quitting my day job. During those months I called on my off time, spent a lot of time building my website, went to networking events, took on some clients and pretty much did everything I'm doing now, just to make sure it was something I wanted to do. Yeah, also I saved enough money for about 5 months of bills, which I can't put into words how much that helped.

      Right now, if I had two dollars I would be hammering the phones instead of typing this post, but I know I can generate sales. If you're intimidated by two hang-ups, it's either time to get over it quick or time to go pick up a newspaper and look at the classifieds.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6620000].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author henry Argueta
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      Yeah cold calling is a great way to start getting sales... however...

      I think you probably SHOULD get a job. Not everyone is meant to do this, not everyone has the drive to do it. You now, not only have a week to make "5 sales"..which is an amount you didn't disclose, but you have no experience with calling.

      Not everyone needs experience, you gain experience when you do it... but that isn't the issue.

      The issue is, you've waited however long it has been, to not do anything to generate sales or even leads. You've given yourself a deadline to make something work that you don't know if it will work by experience.

      John will be a better help than me, because I just don't think you have what it takes to do it. It's irresponsible to wait this long and put this much pressure on yourself. My advice would be get a job, save up money enough for 6 months of bills and then give it another shot. Call on your lunch break to "overcome your fear" and prospect at night when you're off work. That way you can have income while trying to see if this in fact IS something you can or even really WANT to do.
      so you are telling me i should just quit, that its impossible to make 5 sales in 8 days? if i dail all day??
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6620120].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

        so you are telling me i should just quit, that its impossible to make 5 sales in 8 days? if i dail all day??
        No.. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you haven't been able to dial daily in however long you have been doing this, you likely aren't going to have the success you expect all of a sudden with a sudden burst of action.

        I always suggest cold calling. It's a great addition to a marketing plan, however, I don't think you're up to the challenge. If you were, you wouldn't be asking how to overcome your fear, you would just do it because the need and desperation for money would throw away any kind of hesitation you would have, and that obviously isn't the case.

        I think you're setting yourself up for failure. The responsible thing would be getting a job, and save up some money. Work your offline thing on the side, at night, and on weekends until you achieve some level of success.

        There is a difference between being an opportunist and an entrepreneur. I just don't think you're ready. If you need cash fast, I'd suggest a job... or taking a look at martin buckly or martin someone, I forget who it is. He always posts some threads about new, or outside the box thinking to make money offline, that isn't about selling internet services.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6620509].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author henry Argueta
          Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

          No.. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you haven't been able to dial daily in however long you have been doing this, you likely aren't going to have the success you expect all of a sudden with a sudden burst of action.

          I always suggest cold calling. It's a great addition to a marketing plan, however, I don't think you're up to the challenge. If you were, you wouldn't be asking how to overcome your fear, you would just do it because the need and desperation for money would throw away any kind of hesitation you would have, and that obviously isn't the case.

          I think you're setting yourself up for failure. The responsible thing would be getting a job, and save up some money. Work your offline thing on the side, at night, and on weekends until you achieve some level of success.

          There is a difference between being an opportunist and an entrepreneur. I just don't think you're ready. If you need cash fast, I'd suggest a job... or taking a look at martin buckly or martin someone, I forget who it is. He always posts some threads about new, or outside the box thinking to make money offline, that isn't about selling internet services.
          i was looking for some help not for someone to put me down, i get that everyday at my house. but hey just one person to prove wrong.
          i am going to make it offline. like i said getting a job is not an option.
          a job is not going to make me the money i need.
          so i will just take action and make it happen
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6620655].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
            Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

            i always looking for some help not for someone to put me down, i get that everyday at my house. but hey just one person to prove wrong.
            i am going to make it offline. like i said getting a job is not an option.
            a job is not going to make me the money i need.
            so i will just take action and make it happen
            I hope you do prove me wrong man... I'm not trying to put you down, I'm trying to show you that responsibility is more important than a want.

            Taking action does not always provide results... it takes more than just action man. It's great you're looking for help, but you're too late in my opinion. If you weren't motivated before, that's your fault, right?

            Until your need to make money is great enough that you will do what it takes to push through your uncomfortable feelings, I'm just not convinced you'll do anything.

            I've been in bad situations before.. I just can't relate to waiting until the last minute to do something about it because to me, that's lazy. And you've been hearing about it at home? It's just irresponsible to do this when you have a family that depends on you, and you're just now getting motivated.

            I hope you prove me wrong.. good luck to you. It's a great place to learn here.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6620714].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author henry Argueta
              Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

              No.. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you haven't been able to dial daily in however long you have been doing this, you likely aren't going to have the success you expect all of a sudden with a sudden burst of action.

              I always suggest cold calling. It's a great addition to a marketing plan, however, I don't think you're up to the challenge. If you were, you wouldn't be asking how to overcome your fear, you would just do it because the need and desperation for money would throw away any kind of hesitation you would have, and that obviously isn't the case.

              I think you're setting yourself up for failure. The responsible thing would be getting a job, and save up some money. Work your offline thing on the side, at night, and on weekends until you achieve some level of success.

              There is a difference between being an opportunist and an entrepreneur. I just don't think you're ready. If you need cash fast, I'd suggest a job... or taking a look at martin buckly or martin someone, I forget who it is. He always posts some threads about new, or outside the box thinking to make money offline, that isn't about selling internet services.
              Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

              I hope you do prove me wrong man... I'm not trying to put you down, I'm trying to show you that responsibility is more important than a want.

              Taking action does not always provide results... it takes more than just action man. It's great you're looking for help, but you're too late in my opinion. If you weren't motivated before, that's your fault, right?

              Until your need to make money is great enough that you will do what it takes to push through your uncomfortable feelings, I'm just not convinced you'll do anything.

              I've been in bad situations before.. I just can't relate to waiting until the last minute to do something about it because to me, that's lazy. And you've been hearing about it at home? It's just irresponsible to do this when you have a family that depends on you, and you're just now getting motivated.

              I hope you prove me wrong.. good luck to you. It's a great place to learn here.
              well i dont understand why you keep saying that ive waited to the last minute? where did you get the from?
              im new to this forum, and ive learned a few things and i wanted to put them to action but i got stuck,
              im a young guy i dont have a family that depends on me, but im hispanic and working hard runs in our vanes, and my bro keeps calling me lazy cause i dont got a job, but im far from lazy man, so please stop talking as if you know what i am going through.

              i need 5 sales so that i can get some stuff i need, but i will be just fine is just get 1 sale.
              but i know if i only get 1 sale in 8 days i wont feel good about myself and will feel like i didnt accomplis anything. but i know 5 sales is possible even if am a newbie.

              i suck at sales, but i worked door to door selling uverser for about 2 months and i used to sale 1 per day working about 4 hrs per day, now of course Uverse was easier to sell because people will hear about it on tv and stuff but still, my point is that as a newbie i still sold one per day.
              i had a super hard time getting out there and i did it.

              So i know its possible and i will do it.
              so i will apreciate it if you could stop talking like that about me.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621099].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
                Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

                i know i have to do it because my bank account has 2$ and getting a
                job would mean quitting offline so that is not an option.
                Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

                well i dont understand why you keep saying that ive waited to the last minute? where did you get the from?
                so i will apreciate it if you could stop talking like that about me.
                I got it from where you said it yourself bro. Your bank account has $2 in it... that's where I got it from. THAT is putting it off. I don't know what race has to do with anything in here, and me saying you put it off too long isn't wrong to say.

                Fiscal responsibility and financial planning is important too.

                Anyway, sorry if you're offended, I just suggested getting a job, that's all. You being this sensitive kind of shows me you're still not ready.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621121].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author henry Argueta
                  Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

                  I got it from where you said it yourself bro. Your bank account has $2 in it... that's where I got it from. THAT is putting it off. I don't know what race has to do with anything in here, and me saying you put it off too long isn't wrong to say.

                  Fiscal responsibility and financial planning is important too.

                  Anyway, sorry if you're offended, I just suggested getting a job, that's all. You being this sensitive kind of shows me you're still not ready.
                  i guess you wont stop so watever dude.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Also you can try drawing pictures on paper while you talk. It takes the anxiety out of your voice to have a slight preoccupation going on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6620155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    The reason it helps Iamnameless is because it gives you a preoccupation so it doesnt sound like your whole world is hanging on the call, it helps you talk more casually.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6620573].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
    Henry, you certainly appear to be too sensitive for this kind of work. Better toughen up, because it's a mean old world out there and this guy was just trying to help you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621201].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author henry Argueta
      Originally Posted by beeswarn View Post

      Henry, you certainly appear to be too sensitive for this kind of work. Better toughen up, because it's a mean old world out there and this guy was just trying to help you.
      not sensetive but he just kept telling me to get a job when in the OP says getting a job is not an option.
      so why bring it up in every coment he wrote.
      certainly one who was trying to help me out was John durham.

      i just didnt get why kept trying to put me down, i was asking for help he for sure didnt provide any, if you dont have anything to add i dont understand why come and write stuff that is for sure not going to help anyone specially when i said getting a job is not an option.

      but it didnt affect me because im still going to get up and start dialing tomorrow and i will bring in leads regardless of what he or anyone else has to say!

      if i was sensative i would have already gone and started to look for whos hiring.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621314].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
        Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

        .

        but it didnt affect me because im still going to get up and start dialing tomorrow and i will bring in leads regardless of what he or anyone else has to say!

        if i was sensative i would have already gone and started to look for whos hiring.

        That's right, you tell'em big guy. Dont let the internet forum meanies get you down.

        When they pick up the phone tomorrow just show them the same spunk you are showing right now and remember proving other people wrong is always a more important motivator than having $2 in your bank account.

        Come back tomorrow and let us know how well you did.
        Signature
        Promise Big.
        Deliver Bigger.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621369].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author somacorellc
        Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

        not sensetive but he just kept telling me to get a job when in the OP says getting a job is not an option.
        Okay so here's where we are. You started this thread yesterday afternoon. It's gone on through the night and now here we are - a new day.

        Today is the day you succeed. If you're going to hit the phones today, start at 8am and don't stop until it's dark. Just dial, dial, dial. After call #5 or so, you'll start to toughen up, get into the routine - call, talk, hang up - call, talk, hang up - and everntually, today, you will get an appt or close a sale. You'll do it.

        Seriously man, that $2 isn't going to last much longer, so today is the day to prove it to yourself and hammer those digits. If a real job isn't an option, think of it like this:

        Today your job is to be on the phone no matter what. You'll be fired if you get off that phone for longer than 10 minutes. Don't get fired.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6623004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
    He does have something valuable to add. It's a message to get to work. If you don't get to work for yourself, you will be working for someone else very soon. I've seen it a thousand times.

    That's not an exaggeration. I know how to spell and type "a dozen" when I need to.

    Don't allow little things to bug you. That's what "too sensitive" means. Don't quibble about what you think other people's intentions are, or worry about what people you don't know think. Concentrate intently on what's important.

    Everyone has a different style. I like his and I've seen enough elsewhere to know he's experienced. Listen and learn and put what you learn to work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Henry, we are both effective at what we do, Iamnameless has good advice, and wants to help by offering his perspective which is just as effective as mine, just a different operating system slightly.

    Thank anyone (if only mentally) who helps you, and just keep what works for you, or what feels good to you, and do that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621383].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author henry Argueta
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      Henry, we are both effective at what we do, Iamnameless has good advice, and wants to help by offering his perspective which is just as effective as mine, just a different operating system slightly.

      Thank anyone (if only mentally) who helps you, and just keep what works for you, or what feels good to you, and do that.
      well i didnt like his style, i read his post in other threads and i know he knows what hes doing, but it didnt help me, but if it will help other warriors here
      than i guess thank iamnameless. i just didnt like your approach to me because obviously it wasnt what i was looking for
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621622].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

        well i didnt like his style, i read his post in other threads and i know he knows what hes doing, but it didnt help me, but if it will help other warriors here
        than i guess thank iamnameless. i just didnt like your approach to me because obviously it wasnt what i was looking for
        Alot of people dont like mine either...lol

        Thats what its all about though, targeting your specific audience that responds to what YOU offer, and not trying to be everything to everyone. I appreciate Iam because he is one of the few here who are non pretentious and speak honestly with his own voice.

        The tune can change, but the trumpet stays the same with Iam, and its a successful trumpet.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621702].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

        well i didnt like his style, i read his post in other threads and i know he knows what hes doing, but it didnt help me, but if it will help other warriors here
        than i guess thank iamnameless. i just didnt like your approach to me because obviously it wasnt what i was looking for
        If you knew what to look for you wouldn't be asking anyway, right? Sometimes the answer you don't want is an answer that makes sense. Happens to me all the time, happens to everyone. If you KNEW what you were looking for, you wouldn't ask.

        You don't like the approach and what I said because it went against what you want. Giving you a step by step plan in my eyes is a waste of time. You don't really need to know what to do, you need to overcome the fear. The fear is what is stopping you from success. An awful script with determination will STILL get you sales. The fear of talking which leads to procrastinating between calls is why you're going to fail.

        If you want to make these sales, you need to pick up the phone or do something to generate sales. If you're too scared to, or hesitate between calls, then how do you expect anyone to help you?

        The awkwardness goes away with experience. No one can teach you that... only you can do it. It's been like that the entire time, only you can control your outcome.

        If you want something... then get it.

        You're looking for lovey dovey, you can do it type responses, but that isn't really what you need. What you need is some kind of motivation to actually do what you say you want to do.

        Obviously you don't want to get a job... I don't know why.. I don't care to be honest with you. You're going to either get on the phone, be determined, persistent and hammer out the calls to make sales, or you're going to be working for someone else. Those are the options you have available right now. Whether I tell you that you can or can not do it, doesn't make a difference. What matters is what you decide to do.

        If you can offer something to someone that benefits them, solves a problem, makes them money, or saves them money, mainly filling a need, then you can be successful. If no one knows you can do these things, then what difference does it make?

        It's your choice... It doesn't matter what kind of replies you get on a marketing forum. You either decide to be a winner or loser. No one else can decide that for you.

        I've been there... You either succeed or you fail. There is no in between. When you're pinned up against a wall you either whimper away or you fight to break through. .

        Winners can see the value in this.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    @Iamnameless (he, he, I know his name).

    Such passion. I couldnt afford to keep a guy with that much talent but if i could he would make me a million dollars as a manager.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621729].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlexTee
    Hey Henry,

    You can do this...it's all about what's going on between your ears. Click the link below to get some free information then come back and let us know if it worked.

    * Full Disclosure...Shameless Plug Here *
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621866].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by AlexTee View Post

      Hey Henry,

      You can do this...it's all about what's going on between your ears. Click the link below to get some free information then come back and let us know if it worked.

      * Full Disclosure...Shameless Plug Here *
      Indeed and bad form. I am proud to say that I have never once pointed to my sig. (Edit , I actually did ONE TIME and was corrected) If people like your advice they will click. Bad form indeed. I was taught that by Mr. Paul Myers himself , so dont take my word for it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621879].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AlexTee
        Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

        Indeed and bad form. I am proud to say that I have never once pointed to my sig. (Edit , I actually did ONE TIME and was corrected) If people like your advice they will click. Bad form indeed. I was taught that by Mr. Paul Myers himself , so dont take my word for it.
        LOL.....I was wondering if I was going to get called on it!

        Thanks sir....duly noted and never again!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6622065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    @bhusan

    The one time I actually DID point to my sig long ago... Paul emailed me and said "Bad form". I have never done it since. Either the content is compelling or not.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621929].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author payoman
      I'll be honest, I kind of agree with nameless and I kind of don't.

      I agree that the OP isn't listening to advice because he just wants to hear 'you can do it, go for it!' BS that doesn't really equate to anything useful.

      But, due to my hatred of working for a boss, I couldn't recommend getting a job.

      My bank account was $150 overdrawn when I got my first sale. I was on unemployment but it just wasn't enough to pay the bills.

      Nothing gave me as much motivation as KNOWING I was getting in DEEP trouble. The pain was too much, so I hit the phones hard and bam, got my first appointment and sale.

      Cmon dude. If you can't get a job, then you KNOW there is no other option. Just keep picking up the phone ALL DAY until it's done.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6622050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Close the window to the forum. Get on the phone. Start dialing. Don't stop.

    People will either not be interested (and so what?) or they will be interested (and that's who you want to talk to and spend your energy on).

    Don't get excited about either one.

    Talk with those who want to talk about what you do.

    Find out what they don't like about what's going on in their world now.

    Find out what they think you could do to change it. If that's a good match with what you do, then you have a good prospect.

    Find out if they can afford your product or service.

    Offer the exchange of their investment for your product or service.

    If they say No, move on. If they say Yes, you have a customer.

    No big deal either way. The more you make each result into a big deal, the harder it's going to be for you.

    Just get on the phone and talk to people. They aren't nearly as scary as you think.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6623085].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Sell your way out. Its the only way. You can sell your way out if you truly want to today. There is no choice because money doesnt fall out of the sky, you have to make it happen for yourself- and you WILL- You will kick poverty's a$$ today!

    Unless you are comfortable with poverty that is... If not, repeat these words:

    "I will not fail as the others, failure does not course in my veins, I am not a lamb being lead to the slaughtehouse of failure, I am a lion and I do not DIAL sheepishly like a lamb. I do not fail.


    I do not need anyone to bring me my food, or to depend on anyone elses creativity or prowess, as if they are above me. I am a proud hunter and I hunt my own provisions, thank you. I do not accept failure as an option, and thus it does not overtake me, as it does others. Only failures do that and I am not a failure. NOW I AM GOING TO HUNT, AND AT THE END OF MY DAY I WILL BRING HOME THE PROVISIONS, BECAUSE I DO NOT FAIL!"

    SOMACORELLC, YOU ARE TALKING MY LANGUAGE, THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WHAT THIS GUY NEEDS TO NOT ONLY HEAR BUT INTERNALIZE.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6623427].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iThinkhard
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      repeat these words:

      "I will not fail as the others, failure does not course in my veins, I am not a lamb being lead to the slaughtehouse of failure, I am a lion and I do not DIAL sheepishly like a lamb. I do not fail.


      I do not need anyone to bring me my food, or to depend on anyone elses creativity or prowess, as if they are above me. I am a proud hunter and I hunt my own provisions, thank you. I do not accept failure as an option, and thus it does not overtake me, as it does others. Only failures do that and I am not a failure. NOW I AM GOING TO HUNT, AND AT THE END OF MY DAY I WILL BRING HOME THE PROVISIONS, BECAUSE I DO NOT FAIL!"

      SOMACORELLC, YOU ARE TALKING MY LANGUAGE, THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WHAT THIS GUY NEEDS TO NOT ONLY HEAR BUT INTERNALIZE.
      I would remove negative words form this as the subconscious mind cannot understand negatives

      now repeat these words:

      "I succeed, success course in my veins, I am lion eating other lambs..., I am a lion and I DIAL courageously like a lion...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6624210].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by iThinkhard View Post

        I would remove negative words form this as the subconscious mind cannot understand negatives

        now repeat these words:
        Thanks for correcting me...

        Lesson Time.

        You are thinking too hard, "Ithinkhard".

        This message is communicated emotionally...not through words, but rather feeling.

        In this case, the feeling of righteous indignation.

        These are the words (the ones you corrected) that changed my life. If you have never been surrounded by failures, then you wouldnt understand how motivating the desire to not be like them is.

        Most people will do more to avoid pain that top gain pleasure.


        On a deeper level- Here is the deepest truth of learning:

        The mind does not pick up everything its told as truth...it picks up rather the truth its told "THAT LINES UP WITH ITS LIFE EXPERIENCE".

        Now pause and think about that statement if you will....

        Okay.

        Why are you relating to what I just said right now?

        Here's why, because that bold statement lines up with your life experience.

        If you say you dont relate to the truth I just told you, take off the filters, and look at it again.

        The teacher that gets my attention is the one who understands how I feel and can relate to what I already know...then he will have credibility to teach me something, because my inward being has confirmed that he knows truth, and understands the reality of how things have worked for me....

        Now,

        Most people's life experience tell them that only 10% succeed in being above average, and there is a great motivation not to be as the 90%.

        If you tried to tell me that 60% of the people who try IM succeed, my mind would rejexct everything that comes out of you after that...because it doesnt line up with what I know to be reality.

        But if you tell me that only exceptional people succeed at being above average in any field, then I can relate to you because you speak truth that my reality confirms. I may listen to more.

        You could have told me everything in the world that was positive, and that all I have to do is click my heals 3 times and say magic positive words...and coming from my background I would have had very few reference points in order to be able to relate to that concept, however true it COULD be, it will do me no good because I cant grasp it....

        I would HOPE you were right, but I wouldnt BELIEVE it, because nothing in my reality confirmed it- but what fnally motivated me was being tired of failing , being as the failures...and it wasnt a positive statement in my mind the day I started succeeding ,

        it was "I am going to quit being at the bottom of the totem pole and hanging and eating and drinking with the losers, and I am going to become a lone Lion...far removed from this class of people who whine and make excuses..."

        That motivated me.


        Again, in short, text books say one thing, but in reality people dont believe what you say, they believe what you say that lines up with what they can SEE..."

        My friend use to tell me to put a timer on my desk and play a game like I was trying to beat the clock to be more productive...but in my mind I thought "Thats what losers do, just pick up the phone and get focused, I cant trick my mind into thinking its playing a game, Im dead serious about making money...YOU play games, thats for people like YOU..."

        Lastly,

        This isnt about what the mind picks up. Its about what the EMOTIONS pick up. This an emotional thing.

        So many people analyze the strategies to cold calling... but what really makes it work is an emotional determination to NOT be what you have been in the past...and to NOT fail like the others following bells and whistles..."

        If you had a silver spoon you wouldnt be trying to get yourself to make calls....

        Positivity works, but this person is tired of failing, and I believe they will be motivated to say "Im not going to be like those guys, Im going to seperate myself"

        Looking at failures and comparing provides the polarity that helps you recognize when you are not just a man, but a man among men.

        Observation of the difference between the way you do things and the way failures do them... Just like a man would not know he was a man unless he knew what a womabn was...".

        There would not be any distinction to it.

        Pride of being above average is a great motivator for many.

        Mostly though, again, we are motivated toward truth that lines up with what we see around us...and that is the most reliable thing to your mind, its what we pick up...and if you look around most are failing but you must say "I will not be as the others".

        Thats not the only thing that motivates, but the reality of it is alot easier to grasp than fluffy pie in the sky affirmations...it hits home harder and comes across to the subconcious as more real.

        You have to have that "admission of guilt" in copy as redshifted points out- even the copy you feed your own mind in order tyo fully believe it, it has to have some reality in it, and not just vague confessions and affirmations.

        You will be giving it something it believes, instead of trying to convince it of something it cant conveive yet, because there are no references.

        Many people dont succeed until they get tired of being a failure and they start to despise being in poverty.

        Of course you add positive imaging of what is wanted after you have convinced yourself through collecting mental data of what is NOT wanted, and you have polarity, that helps you know when you are moving the right direction..

        However, if you have never been poor and you have only been around success, then you may not have those blocks... Most people DO.

        Many peoples reality is not all airy fairy, and if you try to communicate that way to them, it wont line up with reality and their mind wont totally receive it because of that.

        If you tell them "you have to be hardcore" they relate to that because in their world only the hardcore succeed.

        My premise for adding pain and negativity , ALONG with positivity, is to create polarity for the positivity. It's not me seeing the world through my own eyes only- Its me seeing the world through the average PERSONS eyes, not the exceptions eyes only- but rather through most of the WORLDS eyes.

        How many times do you believe a person who is totally one sided....polarity is what helps us make distinctions. Without it there is no counter pressure to make us push.

        The way of least resistance is to work with the grain of our beliefs and not try to operate on things we arent convinced of.

        The average person is a sheep, they are not above average with the lions, and so that reality relates to more people. Its the rule as opposed to the exception, especially at the WF where people come because they havent experienced the success they want to achieve yet,, and their reality is that achieivng is not all airy fairy and rainbows.

        If you try to feed them strictly that, it wont line up with what they see around them.

        Dont tell me the grass is green when every where my eyes see its yellow- tell me the grass is yellow and show me how to make it green and I will believe you better.

        I wont believe that everything is positive until it IS...and yes, maintaining a positive mindset is part of that, but being SICK of being a sheep is even MORE powerful.

        Thats more than a "desire" to succeeed...its a gut wrenching MISSION.


        Much more powerful.

        If you read most of the stories around here you wuill see that what Im saying lines up with reality.

        People who want to try things around here rarely succeed as quickly as people who are sick and tired of being broke and dont want to be like the broke people anymore.

        And...lol...YES, Im passionate. What I do is much more than money to me. Money is not a big enough motivator, but thinking of a child who went to school embarrased of his clothes WAS a motivator.... Seeing those people rise above is more motivating than money, because trust me, I dont get rich posting this. There are alot more income producing things I could be doing ATM, but this is mo9re important than excess money.

        When we leave we are dust, and the only thing valuable is the inspiration we leave behind, thats the only thing that outlives our body...not our money. Someone could waste all your money within a years time and it would be forgotten within 5.

        Aside from that , I am such a hunter that I can pull money when I want to. I am NOT as the people who spam forums because they arent enough of a hunter to do anything else, and damn proud of it!

        I want others to be that proud, the ones who deservfe it. We are fishing that out of them here, and we are fishing THEM out of the pack...

        I didnt get this perspective from listening to Tony Robbins and Abraham Hicks...although I probably replayed the whole personal power seminar 20 times when I got it for a month straight...and studied Abraham Hicks for 8 years BEFORE the secret came out, back when they were obscure teachers- I rather got it from training alot of people over many years.

        I was a trainer before I was a writer. Which is rare online , and Im proud of that too.

        In any event "The career I have chosen is laid with opportunity, yet the truth is that its also fraught with heartbreak and dispair, in fact; the bodies of those who have come before me and failed, were they piled atop one another would cast its shadow down uipon all the pyramids of the earth...."

        THAT is the truth, you told it to me and you understood my view so now you can teach me...

        "But I will not be as the others..."

        That is the distinction...

        "For in my hands I hold the charts that will guide me through perilous waters to shores which yesterday seemed only a dream untill even apples made of gold will seem no more than my just reward!"

        Thats "Og Mandino", and he changed my life by telling me the difference between the two.

        So dont be surprised if I call myself a man among men in my field- it just means "the exception" and Im proud to be one, and want to help others find that place inside of determination to be more than average at what they do. Because the average person fails to ever become exceptional at anything, and they miss that pride which is worth more than money.

        Hope this helps somone,
        JD
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6626053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author henry Argueta
    question..is $599 a good price point for web design?

    this is what i did so far.

    i made about 20 calls and this is what i said

    hello my name is henry, i dont usually do this but i am a new web designer in town i am just looking around trying ti find some work, i realized you didn't have a website i was wondering if you are interested on getting one?

    if they sounded interested i said

    "I'm new so i don't expect you to trust my work, so what I'd like to do is take the time
    and create a mockup of what your website would look like. this way you know what you will be getting. does that sound okay for you?

    so far ive gotten 2 people said yes i will create them. i told them they will receive early tomorrow morning.
    i just prefer on keep on calling rather than stop to create the mockup right away. i figure i just get as many leads as possible and do the work tonight then follow up tomorrow morning with them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6625179].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
      Yes, keep calling.

      Pay Time = when your customers are available. Call then.

      No-Pay Time = when they aren't available. Do all the other work then.


      Originally Posted by henry Argueta View Post

      question..is $599 a good price point for web design?

      this is what i did so far.

      i made about 20 calls and this is what i said

      hello my name is henry, i dont usually do this but i am a new web designer in town i am just looking around trying ti find some work, i realized you didn't have a website i was wondering if you are interested on getting one?

      if they sounded interested i said

      "I'm new so i don't expect you to trust my work, so what I'd like to do is take the time
      and create a mockup of what your website would look like. this way you know what you will be getting. does that sound okay for you?

      so far ive gotten 2 people said yes i will create them. i told them they will receive early tomorrow morning.
      i just prefer on keep on calling rather than stop to create the mockup right away. i figure i just get as many leads as possible and do the work tonight then follow up tomorrow morning with them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6625198].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author henry Argueta
        Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

        Yes, keep calling.

        Pay Time = when your customers are available. Call then.

        No-Pay Time = when they aren't available. Do all the other work then.
        i gotta say i am feeling confident right now, and i have to agree with what you said they aren't as scary as i think. lol.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6625237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fleacheck
    I once worked in a call center. My job depended on me handling calls for a large insurance company. I will never forget the first time we were scheduled to get on the phones and actually talk to the customers. I was nervous, knew what I was supposed to say, was trained on how to handle all kinds of situations. We talked about it for weeks in training, the day arrived and the phone beeped in my ear... The words BARELY got out of my mouth, they weren't even what I was "supposed to say" and the caller asked if it was the correct company...

    I replied with yes, and "how can I help you" (still not the correct script) and there was sheer terror in my voice. The small amount of luck I had that day, the caller needed to do something extremely simple which could be handled in a short amount of time.

    After the call, I felt relieved, good I thought as I "handled the call" not gracefully, but handled the call. Fast forward 2 weeks, I was an old pro. Handled over a hundred calls that week, slowly getting less nervous, slowly gaining experience. I just kept saying to myself, with each call, I'm getting better. The more calls I take, the better I will be. Fast forward several months, I took a sales position within the company, all phone based.

    What everyone had said, its the law of large numbers, for every 100 calls you take, you will only make a sale on 10-17 of them. That is life, keep a tally, for every call and know for every "NO" you are one more closer to yes. You will develop thick skin, you will get hung-up on, someone will yell, but all of those scenarios will be worth it when you get to that sweet sweet yes.

    IT will get easier, hang in there, just shake it off, get better with every call. There is enough business out there to build a following of raving customers even if you make a few mad along the way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6630887].message }}

Trending Topics