Too of many us out there? Thoughts?

36 replies
So, I'm on the phone calling new clients at least 6-10 hours a week plus visiting many of them in person for another 10-15 hours.

Some have told me that they get so many marketing/advertising sale offers...it's crazy! I wonder - is there too many out there? How do we become "different"?
Of course, there's just one ME out there but that doesn't matter to them initially )

Just a thought I'm sharing for discussion.
Are you hearing the same message in your part of the world?
#thoughts
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    My thoughts exacly it's not that what we have isn't great...it's the fact it's absolutely saturated and the client has heard a similair 100+ pots this year that kills it.

    There must be tens of thousands of "off liners" if not hundreds of thousands (millions globally)?) all hitting Y.P. Cold calling, emailing. letter, etc....no wonder the biz owenr simply switches off. Don't forget you are competing with India/China rest of the word as well.

    The barriers to entry are almsot zero so you have HUGE competition.
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786127].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sadneck
      Originally Posted by sloanjim View Post

      My thoughts exacly it's not that what we have isn't great...it's the fact it's absolutely saturated and the client has heard a similair 100+ pots this year that kills it.

      There must be tens of thousands of "off liners" if not hundreds of thousands (millions globally)?) all hitting Y.P. Cold calling, emailing. letter, etc....no wonder the biz owenr simply switches off. Don't forget you are competing with India/China rest of the word as well.

      The barriers to entry are almsot zero so you have HUGE competition.

      Very well put. The business owner simply switches off. DAILY I get calls, emails, texts, faxes, junk mail, tv advertisements, radio advertisements, bathroom stall advertisements, and browsing popup advertisements, it is advertisement overload.

      Advertising is becoming extremely expensive, because people now know the difference between a natural google result and an advertisement result. You need to distinguish yourself.

      Offer two things to this world, and you might get one back.

      Andrew
      Signature
      THE BITCOIN BOSS WSO PACKAGE
      Special Launch Price!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6789004].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
        Originally Posted by sadneck View Post

        Very well put. The business owner simply switches off. DAILY I get calls, emails, texts, faxes, junk mail, tv advertisements, radio advertisements, bathroom stall advertisements, and browsing popup advertisements, it is advertisement overload.

        Advertising is becoming extremely expensive, because people now know the difference between a natural google result and an advertisement result. You need to distinguish yourself.

        Offer two things to this world, and you might get one back.

        Andrew
        everyone gets those, business owner or residential, always have always will.
        i mean after all, just turn on the tv.

        I own 2 B&M bizz, one i get sales calls often,,, by often i mean approx once a wk.
        the other... NOT ONE IN 8 YEARS.

        SO, its not that there is too much competition, its too many people
        are playing in the same sandbox.

        The key is to get out and find a different one.
        Signature

        Selling Ain't for Sissies!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6789041].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Durham
          Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

          everyone gets those, business owner or residential, always have always will.
          i mean after all, just turn on the tv.

          I own 2 B&M bizz, one i get sales calls often,,, by often i mean approx once a wk.
          the other... NOT ONE IN 8 YEARS.

          SO, its not that there is too much competition, its too many people
          are playing in the same sandbox.

          The key is to get out and find a different one.
          In "telemarketing" the translation of this would be that if EVERYBODY is using info usa, then YOU find another way to generate your leads.... I know Ken appreciates this being the most masterful lead generation person I have ever spoken to.

          Another way is like someone else said "Call manufacturers" ... I even heard someone say they were calling "injection molding companies" which I advised awhile back and they are doing well... Why?

          How many warriors do you think are calling injection molding manufacturing companies"?

          Its a different sandbox than lawyers and accountants which everyone else is focused.

          Someone told me that you can be a top competitor without even "competing" by doing what Ken says here, and finding a different sandbox.

          I promise you that nail salons might get 3 sales calls per week from web designers, but injection molding manufacturing companies dont.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6789445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
    or maybe ...you guys need to hit different niches.

    Most people starting out all go for what they think is the easiest sales in the beginning...

    Then on top of that, you have a 100 or so wso preaching to do just that.

    Once people get there sales chops and some money where they feel comfortable
    they need to think out side the box, i.e move to new niches...

    and of course... don't tell people what niche it is...
    Signature

    Selling Ain't for Sissies!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786153].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author .
      If they are so many out there
      USE IT as your advantage

      make yourself 100% different.
      sooo different they have no option but to pay attention to what you are saying.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786219].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tedgichia
        Originally Posted by rankinghero View Post

        If they are so many out there
        USE IT as your advantage

        make yourself 100% different.
        sooo different they have no option but to pay attention to what you are saying.

        My thoughts exactly. It's a matter of how you differentiate yourself.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Originally Posted by iInvent View Post


    Some have told me that they get so many marketing/advertising sale offers...it's crazy! I wonder - is there too many out there? How do we become "different"?
    Of course, there's just one ME out there but that doesn't matter to them initially )

    Just a thought I'm sharing for discussion.
    Are you hearing the same message in your part of the world?
    "Some" have told every sales person that ever existed that for 1000 years now.

    I always use the example of the construction company where I started telemarketing 25 years ago.... back then the company had been in the same local town, pounding the same phone book for over 20 years....the same phone book that 20 other construction companies were pounding every day...

    Now its almost 45 years that they have been in business, and they are still in the same town with even MORE competition, and pounding the same phone book, using the same script...

    They dont even get their customers from branding, its from COLD CALLING.

    20 years ago everyone said they would be out of business because there were too many other people calling and ringing peoples phones off the hook....but yet today all of those companies still exist in the same small town, pounding the same phone book, and their sales floors generate just as many leads as they did 20-40 years ago.

    The same guy that hung up on you yesterday saying "Im tired of construction companies calling me..."...has developed a leak in his roof and TODAY he's glad you called.

    In short,

    What you are referring to will never go away...but once you understand the principles involved, its a molehill that people make into a mountain.

    On another note, managing a wallpaper store years ago, I had various advertising type salesman come in at least once per week probably although I might have told you "everyday".... blah blah....

    The thing is, "sometimes I bought"

    In short, here is why it works in spite of what "some" say, in the words of Og Mandino, which are soooo true...

    "Today a man may not give you a single penny for an apple made of gold... but the tides advance and the tides recede- tomorrow the same man may give you everything he owns for a mere tree...".


    Yesterday someone may have turned down 3 web salesman, but today they like YOU for some reason and buy.

    If you work your numbers daily you will ALWAYS comes across that person.

    -JD
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786349].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Darren Tan
      Hi iInvent,

      First off, there's there are certainly too many of everybody in any industry. Take car grooming as an example - when your car is looking dull and you know in your area there's Car Grooming A, B, C and D but they all look the same to you, and the next thing you'll look at is pricing, which is cheaper right?

      But if the situation is like the below:
      • Car Grooming A - cheapest in town guaranteed or it's free
      • Car Grooming B - shine last 24 months with warranty
      • Car Grooming C - get your car back within 45 mins
      • Car Grooming D - free car wash for 3 months
      Now you have options, and you will choose based on your situation. Everyone has their own market and type of clients. Complaints are lesser. More happy clients.



      So the answer is create your USP (what can you provide that others can't?:
      • talk to your best clients and find out why they give you so much business for so long
      • act like a prospect and call up your top 3 competitors and find out what they have and what they are lacking
      • if you have staff, talk to your staff
      • once you determine your USP - Live It, Breathe It, Shout It Out Loud in all communication to your clients be it in human form, print form and whatever form you can think of
      USP is not your branding, it is not permanent, it changes as market changes.


      Regards,
      DT



      Signature
      "You are surrounded by simple, obvious solutions that can dramatically increase your income, power, influence and success. The problem is you just don't see them."
      Marketing Legend - Jay Abraham
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786453].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iInvent
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      "Some" have told every sales person that ever existed that for 1000 years now.

      I always use the example of the construction company where I started telemarketing 25 years ago.... back then the company had been in the same local town, pounding the same phone book for over 20 years....the same phone book that 20 other construction companies were pounding every day...

      Now its almost 45 years that they have been in business, and they are still in the same town with even MORE competition, and pounding the same phone book, using the same script...

      They dont even get their customers from branding, its from COLD CALLING.

      20 years ago everyone said they would be out of business because there were too many other people calling and ringing peoples phones off the hook....but yet today all of those companies still exist in the same small town, pounding the same phone book, and their sales floors generate just as many leads as they did 20-40 years ago.

      The same guy that hung up on you yesterday saying "Im tired of construction companies calling me..."...has developed a leak in his roof and TODAY he's glad you called.

      In short,

      What you are referring to will never go away...but once you understand the principles involved, its a molehill that people make into a mountain.

      On another note, managing a wallpaper store years ago, I had various advertising type salesman come in at least once per week probably although I might have told you "everyday".... blah blah....

      The thing is, "sometimes I bought"

      In short, here is why it works in spite of what "some" say, in the words of Og Mandino, which are soooo true...

      "Today a man may not give you a single penny for an apple made of gold... but the tides advance and the tides recede- tomorrow the same man may give you everything he owns for a mere tree...".

      Yesterday someone may have turned down 3 web salesman, but today they like YOU for some reason and buy.

      If you work your numbers daily you will ALWAYS comes across that person.

      -JD
      I love you John Durham! You always have good stuff to bring to the table

      Exactly my thoughts - it's all about ME...and I know I'm selling well cause my numbers are there every month. Once people get to know me, they want to do business with me.

      You are so right...this will never go away. Thank you for your perspective - love it!
      Signature

      Thanks for reading!

      Chantal
      "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6788005].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Quentin
    We specialize in Manufacturing clients and there is virtually no competition what so ever so maybe its the businesses you are targeting

    Q
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786401].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abbot
    Banned
    Yup, market is saturated. Might as well pack your shit and go home
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adrian Browning
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786605].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BrandonMHowe
      Originally Posted by Adrian Browning View Post

      So I got on the phone with a Publishing company and asked if they would be interested in doing a deal. Their first question to me was "do you represent this individual"? I said "yes, I'm one of her advisors" (because I knew that I would be.. once I brought this deal to the table)..
      Adrian,

      Does that mean you cold called the publishing company? :confused:

      Just wondering if that's a viable method for making these deals happen, as I would like to do something along these lines for some rising stars that are in my network already.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786658].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Adrian Browning
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787098].message }}
        • [DELETED]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787119].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jimbo13
            Originally Posted by kirbymarketingconcierge View Post

            Ab,

            didn't you see Paul Meyers post?
            It's ok. This isn't a cold calling thread is it?

            Also Adrian has written something of interest don't you think?

            Brokering.

            You can take a lot from his post.

            Nice to hear from him when he is civil.

            Dan
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787214].message }}
            • [DELETED]
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787281].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author iInvent
                Originally Posted by kirbymarketingconcierge View Post

                my apologies if I'm wrong.

                will wait for iInvent, who started this post

                Wrong about? :confused: I'm clueless.
                Signature

                Thanks for reading!

                Chantal
                "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6788023].message }}
                • Originally Posted by iInvent View Post

                  Wrong about? :confused: I'm clueless.
                  That I was in the wrong, about posting for AB.

                  I thought he wasn't supposed to post on "cold calling" threads.

                  sounds like I am, from your post of just getting along.

                  I am sorry.

                  deleting posts.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6788476].message }}
                  • Can I make it up worth a sales story? :confused:

                    a shoe company manager sends 1 of his people to a 3rd world country.

                    after a few days, he calls the manager in a panic saying over and over, "get me out of here they have no shoes"

                    He sends another person over.

                    and, after a few days He Calls the Manager in a panic saying...

                    double the inventory here "these people have no shoes".



                    *I have to watch what comes in my head, it effects so much.
                    is it marketing knowledge or my perspective???
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6788544].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iInvent
      Originally Posted by Adrian Browning View Post

      Of Course!! There are way too many guys out there saturating this once un-tapped market.

      However, this has been the case for a number of years.

      Three years ago, I had reached the pinnacle of success as a 'web guy'. I had over 40 clients and had built my business up to a point where it was producing staggering annual profits. I had some of the most distinguished clients and had the whole SEO, Web design, internet marketing thing down to an absolute science.

      But I came to a life changing realization... Why must I only provide internet based services? Why should I only provide SEO, ORM etc? Why is it that I should only mess around with the most mundane marketing activities when there are other much more profitable options out there?

      I began to realise that I was following an unwritten rule that only lead me into a path of mediocrity. I mean, Marketing is such a broad realm that if I can consistently rake in gargantuan annual profits just from providing SEO solutions, then surely there must be a bigger slice of the pie out there. - and there was!

      I decided I wanted to make millions every year.. But I also decided that I didn't want to work too hard to achieve it.

      So how did I do this? Simple.. I decided that I would break the mold.

      I decided to take the expertise I had gained as an "Offline Consultant" and transfer my skills into the Entertainment and Sporting industry. My interest was in becoming a middle man - finding an influential person, connecting them with a prominent company through either an endorsement deal or another working agreement and then taking a share of the proceeds. - Simple

      But this isn't Offline Marketing Adrian I hear some of you say... Well of course it's not Offline Marketing - it's MARKETING.

      Well how do you get a football player or a model or actress to put a piece of their career into your hands? How do you establish credibility? - EASY. You bring value FIRST before you make your approach.

      Without naming names - I decided that I would target a prominent individual in the sporting realm. First I looked at this person and worked out what they didn't have endorsement wise. In this particular case, i found that they didn't have a book deal. This person had never released an autobiography of any kind, and at the time this individual was receiving tremendous media coverage. - Opportunity.

      So I got on the phone with a Publishing company and asked if they would be interested in doing a deal. Their first question to me was "do you represent this individual"? I said "yes, I'm one of her advisors" (because I knew that I would be.. once I brought this deal to the table)..

      I prepared my proposal, went in, met with the publishers, told them WHY they should be doing this deal (at the time, the reason was obvious - but these are the formalities) we then worked out terms and they were happy with the figures.. SO I then approached this individual.. and, needless to say, after presenting her management team with this neatly wrapped pre-packaged deal I was welcomed with open arms. The publisher bought the rights to her story for a little over $2 Million.. I took an easy 10%. and that was only my first deal in the entertainment industry.

      I made more money from my FIRST deal as a broker, than I did during my first year as a consultant.

      This is still marketing.. Just a little more outside of the box.

      So Don't go with the tide.. Sure SOME niches are saturated.. But marketing is a realm were we are supposed to display flair and creativity (and get paid for it) .. So think outside of the box if you really want to strike oil.

      - Adrian
      Now you got my mouse running...thank you for sharing... appreciate it!
      Signature

      Thanks for reading!

      Chantal
      "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6788153].message }}
  • Originally Posted by iInvent View Post

    So, I'm on the phone calling new clients at least 6-10 hours a week plus visiting many of them in person for another 10-15 hours.

    Some have told me that they get so many marketing/advertising sale offers...it's crazy! I wonder - is there too many out there? How do we become "different"?
    Of course, there's just one ME out there but that doesn't matter to them initially )

    Just a thought I'm sharing for discussion.
    Are you hearing the same message in your part of the world?
    be careful. you don't want to be sold on that thought because it's negative and brings you down.


    Rebuttal to "so many marketing calls"

    I know what you mean, I get them too.
    how would you like a "go to marketing guy", so you could reduce the calls, and get off the phone when these calls happen?

    IMO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786736].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
    Just like everyone has already said, you need to differentiate yourself.
    Everyone is pushing the same products pushed on them in the WSO section.

    If you take the time to learn marketing you be in a much better position.
    Then your not coming in trying to sell SEO, website design, mobile, etc.
    You are improving their current marketing instead of selling your WSO product. Build a relationship, build trust, build credibility, then talk about different marketing options.
    Tell them they will still get calls and emails, but you will now be acting as their VP of Marketing so just refer the calls and emails to you. If someone has an idea you think the client should look at you will let then know.
    Signature
    Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
    - Neale Donald Wilson -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6786932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    Right up my street.

    I decided I wanted to make millions every year.. But I also decided that I didn't want to work too hard to achieve it.
    But...so you basically "lied" (bent the truth) to get your foot in the door right? I mean coat it how you want but it wasn't the truth was it? The client could easaiuly have refused your offer then what? You would have been breaking contracts before you started?

    But still I like your thinking. Definitley easier ways to make big money than working like a dog for it.

    Their first question to me was "do you represent this individual"? I said "yes, I'm one of her advisors" (because I knew that I would be.. once I brought this deal to the table)..
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787271].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Adrian Browning
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787506].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SQUARE NC
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Adrian Browning View Post

        Well when I decided that I was going to have a shot at the entertainment world, I knew what I was capable of doing. But it's no good approaching these people with a begging bowl thinking that they'll simply 'give you a chance'.. I had tried many other options, but it became all too clear to me that I needed to already have a track record of success in this realm before anyone will take me seriously.

        So my only available option was to first bring something attractive to that client and THEN make my approach. This way, they'll have no other choice but to accept what I'm bringing... I had to prove myself.

        I was reading something about how much money "Best-Sellers" were being paid, and then for some reason it just made sense to me... So I went out there and put together this deal. I literally had zero contacts in the industry, but I ended up making it happen.

        Sure I did 'bend the truth' and her team could have easily rejected my proposal... but big risk can have an even bigger reward.. deep down, I fully knew that absolutely no one turns down $2 million dollars. I mean ,even if she did, I could have approached someone else and brought them to the table instead. It wouldn't have been ideal, but I could have made it happen.

        The thing is, anyone will work with you if you are bringing them an opportunity. Especially in the entertainment game. And if you bring them yet another opportunity afterwards, then any human being will turn around and say 'well, this person is pretty good to have around.. - I need to consider working with this guy long-term'.

        The downside is, with so much money involved, things can get quite competitive. You may have to bend the truth every now and again, but it is no different from telling your SEO client that you are the reason their website is 1st on Google, when deep down you know that you outsourced the job to some kid in the Philippines.

        Nowadays, you can literally randomly pick any person that's in the public eye, find a product that would suit them and their demographic, then put together a deal and walk away with hundreds of thousands.. If you know what you're doing of course.

        - Adrian
        100% GOLD

        How can I not have realized this?

        I suppose you only realize things when they are put out there smack bang in front of your face.

        You have got some balls revealing this to us Adrian. Prepare from some serious competition!!!!

        But KUDOS for not being greedy :p
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6788054].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Yeah, there are a ton out there. A lot of people want to run their own business, but many don't succeed. We have new competitors daily, but they're also fading away pretty quickly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787599].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrandonMHowe
    Okay, forgive the question to Adrian...

    Yes, I was being a little facetious... given the thread from the other night.
    Yet, at the same time, I was being genuine about actually wanting to know
    more about brokering this sort of deal.

    Forgive the attempted hijacking...

    Thanks to Adrian for adding valuable insight, why don't we continue this
    conversation in another venue?

    EDIT:

    I did want to add this --

    "I don't think outside the box...
    I threw that m***er f***er out
    a long time ago!"

    Saturated market or untapped niche,
    be exceptional!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787608].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maxrezn
    Great post Adrian....keep up the newly found civility
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iInvent
    Just let it go guys honestly...is this needed?

    Just let it be for God sakes! Move on...

    I wasn't looking to start a debate - can we just not share & help each other?
    I love this forum but this is unecessary. Don't like what someone says - then ignore them!
    *sigh*

    I was just trying to create a new discussion! To share my thoughts without being told I should close up shop! I know I have to BE DIFFERENT (clearly stated in my initial post).
    I was just wondering how you guys are working it and overcoming this "issue".
    I'm also working on creating a niche...to find the loopholes...

    Thanks to those who shared constructive feedback! Always a pleasure
    Signature

    Thanks for reading!

    Chantal
    "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787951].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author maxrezn
      Originally Posted by iInvent View Post

      Just let it go guys honestly...is this needed?

      Just let it be for God sakes! Move on...

      I wasn't looking to start a debate - can we just not share & help each other?
      I love this forum but this is unecessary. Don't like what someone says - then ignore them!
      *sigh*

      I was just trying to create a new discussion! To share my thoughts without being told I should close up shop! I know I have to BE DIFFERENT (clearly stated in my initial post).
      I was just wondering how you guys are working it and overcoming this "issue".
      I'm also working on creating a niche...to find the loopholes...

      Thanks to those who shared constructive feedback! Always a pleasure
      I don't really do any selling. That's how I differentiate myself. Jason Kannigan has an awesome tactic of getting the clients to salivate on your service. It's rooted in the idea of having the clients determine themselves how much additional revenue your service can bring them. At each meeting, I guide them through the process of estimating their ROI. By the time I'm done, they've spent 95% of the time talking, and they discovered THEMSELVES they can earn tens and thousands of dollars if they use my service.

      All other salesmen will sell, use rebuttals, and other tactics. I do as much as I can to make sure they sell themselves.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6787993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rbecklund
    ivent - I'm contacting businesses in one of the largest 5 cities in the U.S., in one of those niches that newbies are told to contact and I'm getting some nice work and leads from this over saturated market. Don't get discouraged by what others say.

    I have a story - I ran a medium sized business and we were looking for a new health insurance provider for our staff. I put out feelers and met with some agents to see what they had. At this same time an agent cold called me and I took the call because I was in the market. I met with her and liked her and she got our business. Insurance has got to be one of the most saturated fields but people keep switching companies or needing new products. There is always opportunity.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6788237].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iInvent
      Originally Posted by rbecklund View Post

      ivent - I'm contacting businesses in one of the largest 5 cities in the U.S., in one of those niches that newbies are told to contact and I'm getting some nice work and leads from this over saturated market. Don't get discouraged by what others say.
      Oh no worries - I'm doing very well! I'm not discouraged.
      I just wanted to see what others were thinking/doing.

      Thanks for the encouragement!

      Chantal
      Signature

      Thanks for reading!

      Chantal
      "Before you try to satisfy the client, understand and satisfy the person."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6788265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    ok so out of interest how many of these deals have you closed?

    I like any buisness where it's big money fewer cleints. Sellnig cheap web sites/S.E.O....is simply to ohard and frustrating to work.

    It's not my thing but I like the idea behind it.
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6788299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane_k
    There are tons of tricks, pitches, rebuttals, and other sales/marketing techniques people can suggest but the problem is most other sales people out there are using the same little bag of tricks, pitches, rebuttals, and techniques to "sell" the prospect.

    And if you try and use the same bag of tricks, pitches etc you will be percieved as part of the same group.

    However, if you take the time to ask your prospect questions about their business, that in of itself will start setting you apart from the crowd.

    Why will this begin setting you apart? Because most sales people are only focused on making the sale. They don't really want to know about the prospects potential problems, or goals, or what the prospect wants with their business.

    Its easy to just move from one prospect to another without really learning what they want. It's easy, simple, and doesn't take much effort.

    But learning how to ask questions and gather information takes effort and work which is why most sales people/marketers don't do it.

    Some questions I like to ask are

    How long have you been in this business?
    How did you get started?
    Do you have a website?
    Is it making you any sales? Or What was your intent when you setup your site?
    What's important do you about X?
    Why is that important?
    How do you know when you have made a good (or right) decision?

    Chris Endres has this post back in the day where he asked these three questions when selling email marketing to offline clients.

    1) Are you getting everything you were hoping for out of the internet?

    2) If you wanted to tell all your customers in the city about a sale you were having tomorrow how would you do that?

    3) Would you like to be able to communicate with all your customers as often as you'd like in under an hour?

    I love these questions. I find that they work great.

    So do what others sales people/marketers don't do and that is ask questions and gather information.

    Then you will start setting yourself apart from the crowd
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6791216].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author coffeecashnow
    Adrian, so today you'd recommend to find a gold medal who doesn't have an autobiography, contact publishers and propose them the right the the book?

    Then you contact the man and tell him you have a deal for him. But he probably already has an agent, who will want a cut of the pie too maybe and to whom you may have to talk to instead of talking to the person you'd like to.

    Then who takes care of writing the book? The editor takes care of everything?

    Very nice concept, but I think athletes/stars are surrounded by agents already. Didn't you experience this?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6792059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imsolutionsgroup
    Most people will never choose a cheaper product or service when they think that what they’re paying for is better (has more value) than all the rest.

    So, figure out how you can express the value in your service and why/how it is different/better then everyone else!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6794073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaron Doud
    The biggest thing I can add to this thread is advice I have given time and time again on this forum.

    If you want to be seen as different do what few on here are doing. Go local to start. Cold walk even that way they can see you are local.

    Like I have told people before on here. I am one of the guys you would be pitching. And I have never once been approached by someone locally to do internet marketing for us.

    Do you think if someone local had approached them years ago that I would have ever been able to create this in house position for myself?

    On a side note I will say that the last few months I have been getting less and less cold calls and emails. Perhaps people have stopped offering in my niche. But I believe a lot of people have started to give up on this. Just like other IM experiences once the majority sees that the easy riches the WSO promised are not there they give up.

    So those that are successful will likely face less customers who will tell them they just got pitched the same crap a few hours ago.

    But for those who are not successful or just starting out take my advice. Unless you have a local competitor you will get business by doing this locally. And you will have a pretty large company by the time you ever even leave your local region(100 mile radius).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6794402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheyCallMeBE
    In my experience, the best way to get business is with networking. It is the only way to getting the huge corporate accounts that we all want to get to. My first client was my lawyer and I just happened to sit down with her and casually mentioned what I did for a living and she rambled on about how much she needed my services. My $.02
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6795269].message }}

Trending Topics