Need help setting up Host Gator Reseller account

19 replies
Hello -

So I have just been getting started offering website services to local business's, and actually in 2 weeks time I have gotten two clients, so things look like this may be something I can do. Anyway, I have read many people recommend setting up a hosting reseller account so I thought I would be a big shot and open up a reseller account and start offering hosting as well.

I got my account set up correctly (I think) but am at a loss for what steps to take when adding a new client, setting up their packages, etc. So, my question is this.....

Is there someone that is real familiar with using the host gator reseller platform, and would be willing to spend 30 or so minutes on the phone and walk me through setting up a new client? And of course I would be willing to pay someone via paypal for doing so.

I am located in Ohio, and can make the call. Just let me know.

Thanks,
Shaun
#account #gator #host #reseller #setting
  • Profile picture of the author gixmo
    I'm sorry to say this but if you can't use an Admin Panel then maybe you shouldn't be offering "web services" And host gator sucks btw if you're going to charge your clients for hosting get at least a vps that's the least you can do for them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7218686].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mintons
      Originally Posted by gixmo View Post

      I'm sorry to say this but if you can't use an Admin Panel then maybe you shouldn't be offering "web services" And host gator sucks btw if you're going to charge your clients for hosting get at least a vps that's the least you can do for them.
      While I appreciate constructive criticism, if you are unable to assist, why even bother responding? I have never used it, just got set up tonight, so yeah....I am not familiar with it. For some unlucky reason when I was born, God did not impart this "all knowing" ability that would serve me well in this situation. Therefore, it generally takes me some form of teaching or learning time to grasp something. Give me some time and I will be. I would consider this process to be a whole different animal than building a website, which is what my main service is. If I was to take your suggestion, then I would never branch out and try to create opportunities for myself. I am trying to do here what many people do not do, and that is take action, and try to build an income for myself.

      So, what to do....do I take your advice and stop trying to build something that lead to honest work, or do I go ahead, continue to service the two companies that I have provided services to and build on that momentum. I think I will do the latter and continue to stay positive.

      I would wish you the best of success, but I would assume by your post that you most likely are doing great and sitting on an empire of services since you have a higher understanding of these matters. So all I can offer is have a nice day!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7218752].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by gixmo View Post

      I'm sorry to say this but if you can't use an Admin Panel then maybe you shouldn't be offering "web services" And host gator sucks btw if you're going to charge your clients for hosting get at least a vps that's the least you can do for them.
      ?

      Hostgator sucks? It's been the best host I've come across after having a variety of servers. VPS and dedicated through over 14 different companies. Maybe you didn't realize this, but Hostgator also offers VPS but 99.9% of businesses do not need that.

      Desmond's response should help you, but if not, let us know and maybe I or others can help with additional questions you may have.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7219008].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gixmo
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        ?

        Hostgator sucks? It's been the best host I've come across after having a variety of servers. VPS and dedicated through over 14 different companies. Maybe you didn't realize this, but Hostgator also offers VPS but 99.9% of businesses do not need that.

        Desmond's response should help you, but if not, let us know and maybe I or others can help with additional questions you may have.
        If one of your sites is under ddos, Hostgator will suspend your account in 10 minutes, if you're offering SEO services this could send a client's site flying from page 1 to page 10 in a couple of hours.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7221049].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
          Originally Posted by gixmo View Post

          If one of your sites is under ddos, Hostgator will suspend your account in 10 minutes, if you're offering SEO services this could send a client's site flying from page 1 to page 10 in a couple of hours.
          That is simply not true. First, it is important to understand the nature of a DDOS attack, and how it isn't a specific domain targeted, it is the IP address itself. So if you're on a shared server, or reseller, they aren't going to suspend thousands of accounts for something they can't control.

          Now, lets say you were talking about a site on a dedicated server, that also isn't true because it happens to me regularly.

          Next, your thoughts on SEO are not accurate for many reasons. The index doesn't roll out every 2 hours, not even close. Data roll outs happen at specific times with specific servers across the world, and it isn't that often. Your site can be down often and still rank #1. Google knows things like this happen, Google also isn't at your website for 24 hours a day. Totally inaccurate information.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7221503].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author gixmo
            Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

            That is simply not true. First, it is important to understand the nature of a DDOS attack, and how it isn't a specific domain targeted, it is the IP address itself. So if you're on a shared server, or reseller, they aren't going to suspend thousands of accounts for something they can't control.
            DDOS has evolved in the last 20 years, I'm not talking about some tool you use from your computer to send requests to a website, In the case of a spoofed ip attack from a botnet most host will suspend the user account for at least 48 hours.
            If you have a botnet you can always try, NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO- will suspend, Hostgator will suspend I'm 100% sure about that.

            Now, lets say you were talking about a site on a dedicated server, that also isn't true because it happens to me regularly.
            No I wasen't saying that, I'm a big fan of dedi that's why I told him to at least get a VPS.

            Next, your thoughts on SEO are not accurate for many reasons. The index doesn't roll out every 2 hours, not even close. Data roll outs happen at specific times with specific servers across the world, and it isn't that often. Your site can be down often and still rank #1. Google knows things like this happen, Google also isn't at your website for 24 hours a day. Totally inaccurate information.
            Talking from experience google doesn't give a shit, page speed influences SEO and let alone if your website can't be reached and you get lucky and have to google bot crawling at that time. Then again this maybe is not the case for local low competition niches. I've only seen this happened in highly competitive keywords.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7222243].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
              Originally Posted by gixmo View Post

              DDOS has evolved in the last 20 years, I'm not talking about some tool you use from your computer to send requests to a website, In the case of a spoofed ip attack from a botnet most host will suspend the user account for at least 48 hours.
              If you have a botnet you can always try, NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO- will suspend, Hostgator will suspend I'm 100% sure about that.



              No I wasen't saying that, I'm a big fan of dedi that's why I told him to at least get a VPS.



              Talking from experience google doesn't give a shit, page speed influences SEO and let alone if your website can't be reached and you get lucky and have to google bot crawling at that time. Then again this maybe is not the case for local low competition niches. I've only seen this happened in highly competitive keywords.
              Denial of Service attacks, are not domain based but IP based. How will hostgator suspend your site if it is multiple server blocks and multiple IP's like 99.9% of DoS attacks are?

              I've dealt with it first hand, that's why I'm saying that isn't true.

              Of course page speed effects SEO... but so do 200 other factors. Having your site down for small periods of time do not effect SEO. Having your site down does not effect trust rank unless it is for LONG periods of time.. trustrank is what is important. As long as you're not on an overcrowded server that gets attacked a LOT, your trust rank won't be effected.

              Hostgator is a very good hosting company. Better than most out there.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7223607].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author gixmo
                Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

                Denial of Service attacks, are not domain based but IP based. How will hostgator suspend your site if it is multiple server blocks and multiple IP's like 99.9% of DoS attacks are?

                I've dealt with it first hand, that's why I'm saying that isn't true.

                Of course page speed effects SEO... but so do 200 other factors. Having your site down for small periods of time do not effect SEO. Having your site down does not effect trust rank unless it is for LONG periods of time.. trustrank is what is important. As long as you're not on an overcrowded server that gets attacked a LOT, your trust rank won't be effected.

                Hostgator is a very good hosting company. Better than most out there.
                HostGator is known to be overcrowded, and has one of the worst records for DDOS protection, they were attacked last June, they were down for a day it was just a test run performed by UGNazi they could have easily kept the site down for a week. A Zeus type botnet with only 600 bots could easily keep a site on hostgator down for a week and a week is a long time.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7224496].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author d0rhk
                  Originally Posted by gixmo View Post

                  HostGator is known to be overcrowded, and has one of the worst records for DDOS protection, they were attacked last June, they were down for a day it was just a test run performed by UGNazi they could have easily kept the site down for a week. A Zeus type botnet with only 600 bots could easily keep a site on hostgator down for a week and a week is a long time.
                  Stop rambling on about crap no one cares about and suggest another hosting company. One that "is protected from zeus" or whatever.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7224533].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
                  edit: this conversation is obviously going nowhere. Sorry for clogging the thread
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7224709].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cash89
      Originally Posted by gixmo View Post

      I'm sorry to say this but if you can't use an Admin Panel then maybe you shouldn't be offering "web services" And host gator sucks btw if you're going to charge your clients for hosting get at least a vps that's the least you can do for them.
      Two thirds of your post is garbage. Do you recommend he reads a whole bunch of books and info on webpages and wait a couple years to do anything? lol that's ridicules, I bet you haven't managed to get far in life with that attitude. Also, Host Gator is great, best host i've used.

      OP if you call their support will tell you how to do everything! They are top notch! Many times I have called to ask a question and they end logging in doing it for me instead of just telling me.

      I do recommend going with a VPS tho.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7224739].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
        Originally Posted by cash89 View Post

        Two thirds of your post is garbage. Do you recommend he reads a whole bunch of books and info on webpages and wait a couple years to do anything? lol that's ridicules, I bet you haven't managed to get far in life with that attitude. Also, Host Gator is great, best host i've used.

        OP if you call their support will tell you how to do everything! They are top notch! Many times I have called to ask a question and they end logging in doing it for me instead of just telling me.

        I do recommend going with a VPS tho.
        Even though I'm not an self proclaimed "SEO expert" or "internet marketer" I'd like to comment below regarding hosting as I am in this business & have been for quite some time.

        The OP is asking "how to setup as reseller account" and has no knowledge or very little about hosting. What exactly do you find ridiculous about someone questioning about them offering this service if they can't setup a reseller account? (no offense to the OP - you've got to learn, but I don't recommend selling until you know what you're doing)

        Why exactly do you recommend a VPS? Please, tell me.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7224871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author desmond11
    Hey Mintons, have you had a look at: Reseller Startup Guide

    I have several hostgator accounts and find their own website as well as their support system excellent. I think they should be your first port of call.

    I don't personally have a reseller account with them so couldn't guide you through the process I'm afraid. But, in the first instance, try the link above for more info.

    Good luck with your two initial clients. No matter what anyone says, at least you're taking action and driving your business forward. Hosting their sites is a great way to keep up the two-way communication and allows you to promote various add-on services.

    This is definitely the best route, just remember to have a signed contract regarding down time etc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7218838].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pizzatherapy
    I have a Hostgator Reseller Account, and I've been extrememly pleased with their support.

    I have dealt with Hostgator for a number of years and they have almost always manged to deal with my issues quickly.

    I recommend you go through the guide and set up an account yourself. Call support if you get stuck or ask in this thread and you will get some help.

    If you can build a website...you can easily learn how to set up someone's account in your reseller account. It just takes a bit of practice....

    Honestly once you do it once or twice, you will have it wired. Like anything else, it takes a little practice.

    You can definitley learn how to do this! No kidding! Hang in there my friend!

    I think you should try to learn how to set up accounts yourself. Take notes and write down the steps.. You will be way ahead of the curve if you learn how to do it yourself first!
    You can always farm it out later..IMO...

    I assume you will be setting up a wordpress blog. That is fairly easy to do once you have installed one or 2...

    Best of luck to you! And congrads on your new accounts! Upward and upward!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7219043].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Susan Hope
      I am with the others here, hostgator great hosting provider, have had reseller for a number of years now and it is easy to set up the accounts once you get the hang of it and best to just dig in and give it a go.

      Hint

      Set up your hosting packages first.

      Then practice, on the left hand side, look for Create New Account and just set up a dummy account, so you can see what happens, you can always delete it afterwards. Use the guides on HG as someone said and if all else fails, come back here for more help

      Sue

      PS - If you also use Namecheap to buy domains, you can tie in your main Namecheap account to your reseller hosting (so it automatically has the correct DNS) - saves a ton of time
      Signature
      One-to-One WordPress Coaching Service Available at Low Hourly Rate - Let the frustration end now! WordPress Installs, Theme Design, Site Tweaks & other WordPress services available
      Find me on Pinterest: PINTEREST
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SJJPFTW
    I love hostgator. There support has always been brilliant. To be fair to the OP WHM can be confusing if you are only used to Cpanel. But once you get it it is easy as pie. Add me on Skype and if we are on at the same time I will try to help you out. No charge.
    Signature

    If you want to learn more about making money with small business owners for FREE click here to be notified when review copies of my new offline course are available.

    Please remember if something I do helps you, the thanks button helps me :-) ------------------>

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DesertSand
    Host Gators support is top notch. They've always helped me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220680].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikey99
    Mintons,

    Be glad to walk you through it on the phone tomorrow if you are still in need of assistance.
    Shoot me a PM if needed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7224909].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nspire
    i agree Hostgator has excellent support. Just call them they will even help get set up. As mentioned earlier their tutorials are really helpful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7238487].message }}

Trending Topics