Cold Calling R U getting desperate?

38 replies
Recently read many threads and spoken to people completely lost.

Maybe we overpromoted it? Or maybe we didn't promote it properly.

If you're going to run a successful offline business (many of you were hoping to make big money online), the problems are different but you have to jump over the obstacles.

Cold calling time is only a short amount of time that YOU have to spend on the phone to find out what works to fill your bank account. You may be uncomfortable doing it but you only have to do it long enough to figure out what works. It's the bottom of the ladder.

Why do the multi billion dollar companies force their outbound employees to follow a script? or modified script? They've spent millions of dollars to find out what works.

Many of us don't have money to get others to figure this out for us. We need to do it ourselves. Every phone call that you make, look at it like a miniscule amount of time that you will spend on the phone to grow your bank account and have a PROVEN SYSTEM to pass along to sales staff who will make the money for you.

Now, after a small, short amount of pain, you will have more confidence. You'll be a REAL business owner.

My question to you is "Can you suffer through a couple weeks of cold calling to set up a system of recurring business income for yourself?"

Sue
#calling #cold #desperate
  • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
    Apparently a lot of the forum members, browsers, lurkers can't. That's why they keep asking for ways to "be successful."

    Could have read the tea leaves wrong but don't think so. Cold calling is like anything else, it takes preparation and then action. What, action? Oh no, I can't do that.

    Nice post sue.

    Tom
    Signature
    Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

    The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7402137].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KoolFM
      This is the wrong time of year to be lurking or browsing. I've seen this for years. Any minute now the questions will start on how to make money in 3 weeks, 2 weeks, oops it's the holiday week. Still broke!

      Guess I'll have to keep browsing and lurking in January.

      "Promote it properly"? It seems the best way to do this is to sell an offer. It's only 7 bucks, 47 for the OTO, 27/mo for coaching.

      But I have to keep lurking.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7402667].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author abbot
        Banned
        What it really comes down to is;

        People don't WANT it bad enough. Or they don't NEED it bad enough.

        If you are truly desperate to build a recurring income or a successful business, you will do anything.

        Talk to those that ARE successful. They will tell you the kind of situation they were in. Typically their backs were against the wall and they had no other options.

        Success is not served on a platter.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7402694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    I have done my best to give away the info people need to comfortably get started.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...beginners.html

    http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...ccess-tip.html

    This is training people pay thousands of dollars to hear. But since it's free here, it must be worthless. ("Give me the good stuff.")

    Frankly I find many of the posts from desperate people depressing. I know they're never going to take action, because they'd rather spend their days hunting for the silver bullet instead of grinding out calls that will improve their skill and get them sales.

    It's just too much easier to sit on one's duffer and wish than be a little uncomfortable and make calls.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7404385].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Irish Intuition
      I still hate cold calling... once I figured out a way to 'warm call' I
      never looked back
      Signature




      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7404727].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TheCG
        Originally Posted by Irish Intuition View Post

        I still hate cold calling... once I figured out a way to 'warm call' I
        never looked back
        What is really the point of posts like this that hint at "something" but don't give you the "something"?

        I always think a WSO is on the horizon.
        Signature

        Yes, by the way, I AM in the Witness Protection Program. I could tell you who I am but then I would have to kill you.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7405211].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sue Bruce
        Originally Posted by Irish Intuition View Post

        I still hate cold calling... once I figured out a way to 'warm call' I
        never looked back
        Know you're into direct mail. Some of the newbies don't have the money for postage, even for a small test.

        Maybe that's why a $7 report will sell but that's as far as they can go.

        I'm trying to think of cold calling as an obstacle, even though it isn't for me, now that I realize that it's a huge roadblock for some.

        Sue
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7407348].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sue Bruce
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      I have done my best to give away the info people need to comfortably get started.

      http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...beginners.html

      http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...ccess-tip.html

      This is training people pay thousands of dollars to hear. But since it's free here, it must be worthless. ("Give me the good stuff.")

      Frankly I find many of the posts from desperate people depressing. I know they're never going to take action, because they'd rather spend their days hunting for the silver bullet instead of grinding out calls that will improve their skill and get them sales.

      It's just too much easier to sit on one's duffer and wish than be a little uncomfortable and make calls.
      Know you've done your best Jason. I'm beginning to think that this cold calling fear is similar to the public speaking fear.

      Huge to get over, for some.

      Sue
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7407367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mwind076
    That's not a warm call...that's a cold call that you've named a warm call to make yourself feel better. Sorry. A warm call is when they have expressed interest, but not pulled the trigger, or when they have ASKED for you to call them by opting in etc.
    Signature

    Looking for answers on how to SUCCESSFULLY market your company?
    Cold Calling, Appointment Setting, Training, Consulting - we do it all!
    PM for more information

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7407381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mwind076
    I've called long enough to know the difference in leads, and calls. You keep enjoying whatever you want to call your stuff, the big question is, how is your conversion of any call you make?

    Here - this will help you out.

    http://www.businessknowhow.com/marketing/warm-call.htm
    Signature

    Looking for answers on how to SUCCESSFULLY market your company?
    Cold Calling, Appointment Setting, Training, Consulting - we do it all!
    PM for more information

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7409569].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sue Bruce
      Originally Posted by Mwind076 View Post

      That's not a warm call...that's a cold call that you've named a warm call to make yourself feel better. Sorry. A warm call is when they have expressed interest, but not pulled the trigger, or when they have ASKED for you to call them by opting in etc.
      Originally Posted by Mwind076 View Post

      I've called long enough to know the difference in leads, and calls. You keep enjoying whatever you want to call your stuff, the big question is, how is your conversion of any call you make?

      Here - this will help you out.

      Cold Calling: Telephone Prospecting Success Tips
      Sorry, don't know who you're directing your comments to

      Sue
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416230].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sue Bruce
        Jason, I'd like to add that it seems like it's falling on deaf ears.

        You can offer excellent, free advice. There are only a small percentage of people who will take free advice. It doesnt seem like free advice is valued.

        Having said that, there's a huge number of warriors paying for the weeks of hype, testimonials coming out of the woodwork, upsells, downsells you don't have to buy but will jumpstart your business.

        Need I say more?

        Sue
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416349].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Durham
          Originally Posted by Sue Bruce View Post

          It doesnt seem like free advice is valued.
          It use to be. Until the subject started getting attention from the main forum. Now it has gotten lumped in with all the other junk. The concentrated simple truth hasnt gone anywhere and still works though.

          What has happened is that people made so much of a science out of it, that they lost the basic truth.

          Every new element you add to the formula is an opportunity for new fangled WSO, so it has become very diluted here...the truth about the effectiveness of cold calling. It's probably more scary for people now because they see all these posts about how it is supposed to be scary... followed directly by a link to an easier way or a course on how to quit being scared.... They have raised a false awareness that you are supposed to be scared if you are a normal person.

          Hey if you are scared, go work in a factory...if you cant make a phone call, then why are you trying to be an offliner anyway?

          It worked alot better when we didnt cater to it, and just told people to quit being childish.

          Cold calling isnt something that makes you desperate- Its something you do when you want to get out of desperation.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    What has happened Sue is that we started teaching the real value of cold calling, and people were getting sales left and right...it was simple and focused.

    Then a bunch of IM'rs came in and fluffed up all the concentrated truth, tryng to put more "twists" on it to make WSO's.... and our cold calling talk became a "niche". Now people are confused, 90% of the teachers arent cold callers, they are IMr's trying to capitalize and throw links everywhere.

    Others saw an opportunity to capitalize on those who hate cold calling, and play them in the middle of our threads... and the teaching became diluted and hazy.

    Half the questions themselves arent even relevent and were created by all the BS floating around, and marketers trying to pull people every direction...not really caring what results they get.

    Sorry, I call it like I see it. These days, if I give someone a cold calling seed...an IMr comes and rips it out of the ground and plants doubts before it can ever even grow.

    Cold calling will always be the simplest and most guaranteed way to get a sale.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416333].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sue Bruce
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      What has happened Sue is that we started teaching the real value of cold calling, and people were getting sales left and right...it was simple and focused.

      Then a bunch of IM'rs came in and fluffed up all the concentrated truth, tryng to put more "twists" on it to make WSO's.... and our cold calling talk became a "niche". Now people are confused, 90% of the teachers arent cold callers, they are IMr's trying to capitalize and throw links everywhere.

      Others saw an opportunity to capitalize on those who hate cold calling, and play them in the middle of our threads... and the teaching became diluted and hazy.

      Half the questions themselves arent even relevent and were created by all the BS floating around, and marketers trying to pull people every direction...not really caring what results they get.

      Sorry, I call it like I see it. These days, if I give someone a cold calling seed...an IMr comes and rips it out of the ground and plants doubts before it can ever even grow.

      Cold calling will always be the simplest and most guaranteed way to get a sale.
      There are a few quotes I could use here. Top of mind is "reap what you sow" probably because you've said that in earlier posts.

      You have sown many seeds here and there's strength in numbers. There's nothing to stop IM'ers from taking these people's money, some of them will keep falling for it, some will run out of money and some will be smart enough to figure out that the answer will not come from an opportunity seeker.

      If we can give our best advice from the experience we have and keep putting the message out there, those who are ready will take action.

      Sue
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416404].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      Cold calling will always be the simplest and most guaranteed way to get a sale.
      Yup. If you are talking about marketing to strangers (non referrals) there is nothing that will take the place of cold calling. Every time I added something to make it easier; e-mails, direct mail, faxes...these things just proved to be an obstacle between me and the prospect.

      All these things ever did for me was create a reason to work. (I have to make the calls today, because I already sent out the direct mail 2 days ago.) But picking up a phone or knocking on a door were always the fastest path to the next sale.

      And I never got the same results as someone else calling. If I called, sales happened.

      In fact, even in my retail store, the single best marketing I do (even more productive than the online stuff I use and teach) is pick up the phone for an hour and talk to 6 or 8 past customers and make them offers. There is nothing else I do that pays as much. Not even close.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416412].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sue Bruce
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Yup. If you are talking about marketing to strangers (non referrals) there is nothing that will take the place of cold calling. Every time I added something to make it easier; e-mails, direct mail, faxes...these things just proved to be an obstacle between me and the prospect.

        All these things ever did for me was create a reason to work. (I have to make the calls today, because I already sent out the direct mail 2 days ago.) But picking up a phone or knocking on a door were always the fastest path to the next sale.

        And I never got the same results as someone else calling. If I called, sales happened.

        In fact, even in my retail store, the single best marketing I do (even more productive than the online stuff I use and teach) is pick up the phone for an hour and talk to 6 or 8 past customers and make them offers. There is nothing else I do that pays as much. Not even close.
        Your statements sound confident. I'm not feeling any confidence from the newbies, at all. Don't know how you teach or learn that but it seems to me that it's a giant problem that they have to overcome to get to the first step in business.

        Sue
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416459].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by Sue Bruce View Post

          Your statements sound confident. I'm not feeling any confidence from the newbies, at all. Don't know how you teach or learn that but it seems to me that it's a giant problem that they have to overcome to get to the first step in business.

          Sue
          Sue; I don't need confidence, I have experience. My only advice on training (to do any selling) is to let the new person see sales made. After they see that nobody really yells at them, and that selling is the natural conclusion to some calls, it goes easier. But my experience in pure cold calling to sell is very limited. John Durham is the Go To Guy on that subject. (And Ken Michaels when he joins in)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416477].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ERPLeadsWriter
          Originally Posted by Sue Bruce View Post

          Your statements sound confident. I'm not feeling any confidence from the newbies, at all. Don't know how you teach or learn that but it seems to me that it's a giant problem that they have to overcome to get to the first step in business.

          Sue
          I don't think lack of confidence is just a marketing problem. A lot (if not all) things in business require confidence. You may need confidence to be a marketer but you also need it to be a salesperson, job applicant, executive etc. Heck, even janitors do a lousier, lazier job if they're not at least confident that they know what they are doing.

          Back on the subject of cold calling, it remains a universal problem. I highly doubt that if you cannot help someone's lack of confidence, you will be beaten by some other guru advocating another marketing approach. You can do your best to try and help people but if they don't help themselves, you shouldn't blame yourself if they fail because of that decision.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7420491].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Sue Bruce
            Originally Posted by ERPLeadsWriter View Post

            I don't think lack of confidence is just a marketing problem. A lot (if not all) things in business require confidence. You may need confidence to be a marketer but you also need it to be a salesperson, job applicant, executive etc. Heck, even janitors do a lousier, lazier job if they're not at least confident that they know what they are doing.

            Back on the subject of cold calling, it remains a universal problem. I highly doubt that if you cannot help someone's lack of confidence, you will be beaten by some other guru advocating another marketing approach. You can do your best to try and help people but if they don't help themselves, you shouldn't blame yourself if they fail because of that decision.
            Basically just bouncing problems around to see if there's someone with more insight or better solutions.

            You know the saying, "No problems, only solutions"

            Sue
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7420861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Here is the best offline marketing advice I can give PERIOD!

    Call 200 people....forget your techniques and all that....just be nice....and tell them what you offer and see if they could use some help in that department.

    Now listen for buying signals and try to draw them in further when you see one, based on that buying signal... Dont put something on them...rather draw them further in to their own interest.

    Dont try to create it (interest) , rather "find" it, recognize it, and capitalize on it.

    Whooop! There it is. Make it more complicated than that and you are begging for distractions, disorienting thoughts and frustration. Keep it basic and you will get a sale.

    usually what happens is that there is a slight amount of interest shown, and the tm starts pitching immediately.

    What you need to do is simply make calls, say your simple friendly message, and find that slight hint of interest, but dont pitch it...rather, now nurture it to a point where it is closeable.

    TM is prospecting. Prospecting and Sales are different lessons. As has been stated; most people try to turn suspects into prospects...but the thing to do is find a "prospect" and turn them into a "sale".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416432].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      My mental breakthrough for cold calling was when
      I took over my present business.

      The previous owner didn't have any more drive than me,
      probably less charisma and social skills than me,
      but he brought on some national brand clients
      from cold calling.

      So that was an ego challenge to me.

      If he can do it I certainly could!

      Then I thought about how I could do it better than him.

      Well my confidence was high because I had these top clients
      and I was just calling to see if I could get them a better deal than what they are getting now.

      Just seeing if I can help them.

      I mean, what the heck is wrong calling to see if I could be of help?!

      Friggin' nothing!

      I have no hesitation at all to get on the phone and go talk to decision makers.

      Have brought in my own national retail chains and down to small retailers.

      For this product, nothing beats cold calling.

      Web design people call me to get me on the web.

      We end up butting heads even after I tell them Google tells me
      nobody is searching online for paper receipt rolls here.

      Fools keep pushing.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416461].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Jeez guys what are you doing up? It's 2AM on a Saturday night. As a matter of fact, what am I doing up??

    Anyway, if you look at the offline subforum lately, it's stagnant. Nothing's really moving. And people are looking for the magic bullet, not calling expertise.

    People are afraid of calling because of the visceral reaction it causes in them. Even the idea of calling is scary!

    I have solutions for people, but they take commitment. Unfortunately, commitment is precisely what is lacking in nearly all people. They want the easy solution, to do no work, and have a million dollars handed to them. Most people thinking they should start their own business because of the economy would never be thinking about it otherwise.

    If everyone was as committed and worked as hard as IAmNameless, for example, maybe they'd have some money and some good results. Instead, they're rainbow-chasing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    @ Jason,

    That's their issue. I just spit the truth. If no one wants to hear it, thats okay, I love the off topic section too and hanging out with friends in there!

    Doesnt do much for the post count, but if trying to increase post count was a priority, it would already be at 10k by now, thats an easy task. I try to focus on more quality posts than quantity.

    Suggestion:

    If you get bored with the offline section some of you should try to go make some friends in Off Topic sometime. It's pretty cool.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416723].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      @ Jason,

      That's their issue. I just spit the truth. If no one wants to hear it, thats okay, I love the off topic section too and hanging out with friends in there!

      Doesnt do much for the post count, but if trying to increase post count was a priority, it would already be at 10k by now, thats an easy task. I try to focus on more quality posts than quantity.

      Suggestion:

      If you get bored with the offline section some of you should try to go make some friends in Off Topic sometime. It's pretty cool.
      I'm not bored with it; I'm hardly here right now. And every time I come back, hardly anything has moved.

      Yes, the Off Topic forum is a lot of fun.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7417151].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

        I'm not bored with it.
        Didnt mean that to be for you specifically, just folks in general. Giving a shout out to my basement peeps.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7417208].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
        Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

        Anyway, if you look at the offline subforum lately, it's stagnant. Nothing's really moving.
        Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

        And every time I come back, hardly anything has moved..
        And people are surprised the forum has ground to a halt and also say they do not know why ? eyes wide open and ye will see.
        Signature

        .

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7419140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YellowGreenMedia
    Cold calling seem to be a religion for some, i think there are better ways to prospect then with a intrusive phone-call, i have much better results with direct mail and email then with cold calling... There is no need for a view "weeks of pain" to make money in the offline niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416788].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by YellowGreenMedia View Post

      Cold calling seem to be a religion for some, i think there are better ways to prospect then with a intrusive phone-call, i have much better results with direct mail and email then with cold calling... There is no need for a view "weeks of pain" to make money in the offline niche.
      Usually I argue with you, but Im just going to let you run your course this time and not debate.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416816].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sue Bruce
      Originally Posted by YellowGreenMedia View Post

      Cold calling seem to be a religion for some, i think there are better ways to prospect then with a intrusive phone-call, i have much better results with direct mail and email then with cold calling... There is no need for a view "weeks of pain" to make money in the offline niche.
      Yours is a different offline system. Addressed this in an earlier post. Many of these people don't have postage, funds for mail outs, etc.

      We're saying that you pick up the phone and start offering to help people, within a short amount of time, seed money will be available to follow whatever method they want.

      Sue
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7420834].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Sue Bruce View Post

        ...within a short amount of time, seed money will be available to follow whatever method they want.
        Sue
        Worth re-stating. That single line is going to jump out and change EVERYTHING for someone somewhere in a moment of epiphany at some point in time.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7420868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    cold calling is illegal in the UK. I for one are glad of it.

    so what next? import drugs and sell them as that's profitable!
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7421790].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    how would you lot feel if you were pestered 12+ times a day with cold callers trying to sell? Yeah I know...you'd all be as sweet as "apple pie"
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7421801].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
      Originally Posted by sloanjim View Post

      how would you lot feel if you were pestered 12+ times a day with cold callers trying to sell? Yeah I know...you'd all be as sweet as "apple pie"
      Depends how the calls are delivered. Most calls are so awful, especially the way they are begun, that a) the experience is bad for both sides and b) there IS NO "rest of the call."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7422342].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ERPLeadsWriter
      Originally Posted by Sue Bruce View Post

      Basically just bouncing problems around to see if there's someone with more insight or better solutions.

      You know the saying, "No problems, only solutions"

      Sue
      From my more personal experience, focusing on someone's confidence issues first before anything technical will get you more progress.

      Originally Posted by sloanjim View Post

      how would you lot feel if you were pestered 12+ times a day with cold callers trying to sell? Yeah I know...you'd all be as sweet as "apple pie"
      Depends on both who I am when that happens, what position I'm in, and of course, what the person is trying to sell.

      Naturally, I'd find it awkward if someone was trying to sell me a toaster over the phone in the privacy of my own home.

      On the other hand, what's 12+ calls from, say, an HR vendor if I were to also get about 20+ more from job applicants anyways? How about say another half dozen from my superiors and perhaps the occasional call myself to other organizations my own company works with?

      I'm actually neither a recruiter nor an HR manager but my point is you cannot just lump all cold calls the way you just did right now.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7425922].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    Right..sure! ^^^ of course.
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7426500].message }}

Trending Topics