Good Directory Plugin?

10 replies
Would any of you happen to know of a decent directory plugin? I don't necessarily want a theme (unless you can ultra customize it so that it looks nothing like it does out of the box). Just a plugin that has decent customization features and doesn't use custom post types to create the listings.

There is a free wordpress plugin called Business Directory that creates a decent listing but cannot handle creating subcategory pages, adds post id#s in the url, is a CSS "float" hassle and the $50 price, if you want to integrate a payment module, is a little steep for a plugin with so many oddities.

Thanks much,

Rashell
#directory #good #local #plugin #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author Marta K
    I checked million and one and wrote custom one and than completely backed out of it - 'great directory' depends on what you want to achieve with it. All I wanted is make profile pages for businesses as foot in the door for web design, as an add on service and to get relevant content to get established in the local niche.
    There is quite a nice theme called elist i think, from elegant themes. It enables you to add listing from the front end panel, which means customers can add themselves.
    Hope that helps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7856123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DianaHeuser
    Rashell,

    I have used a theme called Directory Press for a few of my sites. It is not a plugin but it is really powerful from PremiumPress. It is a little pricey but really worth the investment as you can install on more than one site.

    Di
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7856156].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Soumitra
      Originally Posted by DianaHeuser View Post

      Rashell,

      I have used a theme called Directory Press for a few of my sites. It is not a plugin but it is really powerful from PremiumPress. It is a little pricey but really worth the investment as you can install on more than one site.

      Di
      Yes , I am also using this on 2-3 of my sites, costing around $77 :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7862401].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SoundsGood
    I've looked too. I'm not sure a good one exists.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7856368].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MarkJez
      Hi Rashell,

      I have started looking at a WP directory plugin called Connections.

      It has recently been updated - and looks very powerful.

      Definitely worth a look.

      Also, have a look at example sites which use this plugin, and you will see why I like it so much.

      Advertisers can add/edit/delete their own details via one of the Connections Add-on plugins which is extremely useful. (Saves me having to do it!)

      Best regards

      Mark
      UK
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7856500].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MarkJez
        Here's the link to the Connections directory plugin.

        WordPress › Connections Business Directory « WordPress Plugins
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7857195].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Rashell
          Thank you all so much for giving me your input.

          Originally Posted by DianaHeuser View Post

          Rashell,

          I have used a theme called Directory Press for a few of my sites. It is not a plugin but it is really powerful from PremiumPress. It is a little pricey but really worth the investment as you can install on more than one site.

          Di
          Diana,

          With Directory Press is it fairly customizable? I'm trying to add the directory section onto a website so I would need to be able to make it match. And there are some additional plugins I wanted to add. For instance I'd want to swap out any review system that it would have for one of my own.

          I was able to hack a little bit more of the Business Directory Plugin making the CSS more "workable". But it's still not an ideal solution.

          Originally Posted by MarkJez View Post

          Here's the link to the Connections directory plugin.

          WordPress › Connections Business Directory « WordPress Plugins
          Mark,

          For what I'm trying to do Connections won't quite work. I actually wanted each listing to have it's own separate searchable page. Can't seem to find where that would work with this one. Perhaps I'm missing something.

          Rashell
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7861441].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DianaHeuser
            Originally Posted by Rashell View Post

            Diana,

            With Directory Press is it fairly customizable? I'm trying to add the directory section onto a website so I would need to be able to make it match. And there are some additional plugins I wanted to add. For instance I'd want to swap out any review system that it would have for one of my own.

            I was able to hack a little bit more of the Business Directory Plugin making the CSS more "workable". But it's still not an ideal solution.

            Rashell
            I don't know if you can replace the review system, but I really like the review system it uses. It has a comment field and then a 5 start rating system. You can change the order of the listings based on the ratings of the reviews as well.

            Originally Posted by Rashell View Post

            Mark,

            For what I'm trying to do Connections won't quite work. I actually wanted each listing to have it's own separate searchable page. Can't seem to find where that would work with this one. Perhaps I'm missing something.

            Rashell
            Each listing is created as a post in DirectoryPress and it creates a separate page as a result. Not sure if that would help you.


            Di
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7862791].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Rashell
              Diana,

              Thank you so so much for your feedback. It is genuinely appreciated.

              Originally Posted by DianaHeuser View Post

              I don't know if you can replace the review system, but I really like the review system it uses. It has a comment field and then a 5 start rating system. You can change the order of the listings based on the ratings of the reviews as well.
              I actually wanted to use the WPSocial Review Engine so the reviews would be pushed into fB, etc. And to send an email to the business owner that a review was just left.

              But looking over the options I'm thinking

              1-Directory Plugin by WPMU Dev (depending on a few ?s I sent)

              2-Directory Press (I was told I could customize but no guarantee the plugin will work so...??? what to do, what to do? )

              3-Connections (emailed to ask if I could have listings in individual pages-just in case I was missing something)

              4-Business Directory Plugin (as the absolute last resort & only b/c it's already installed and I've haggled with it over the past few days. Should have come here 1st.)

              Rashell
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7864080].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Rashell
                Marta,

                Just noticed your mention of the eList theme. Thanks for that. Almost missed it. Did you ever get your directory site off the ground?

                Rashell
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7864109].message }}

Trending Topics