Targeting Multiple Towns With WP

by rugman
7 replies
Found a site today (non WP) that gets found all over my area for a service they perform - usually listed above the 7 pack. I found this in their code:
<meta name="geo.region" content="US-NY" />
<meta name="geo.placename" content="Middletown,NY" />

They get found in every town in the surrounding area with a page for each town. is there a plugin that does this or would have to inserted manually into each pages code?
#multiple #targeting #towns
  • Profile picture of the author Colm Whelan
    If they're ranking on google I don't think its becasue of geo tags. As far as I'm aware Google almost completely ignores them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7910725].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rugman
    Just was wondering if it helps. They rank in EVERY town - same article on every page - just a few small changes in the first paragraph. I am talking a 3 state area here.
    Signature

    Growing older but not up!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7910769].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bawls
      Originally Posted by rugman View Post

      Just was wondering if it helps. They rank in EVERY town - same article on every page - just a few small changes in the first paragraph. I am talking a 3 state area here.
      just mod the header.php in the theme, but their ranking has little to do with the that meta data
      Signature
      Dominate Craigslist
      ~1.50 Per Post * 90 Day Min Run * Ghost Free Guarantee~
      ~Full Phone & Skype Support * PM or Skype for Details~
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7911129].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rugman
        Originally Posted by bawls View Post

        just mod the header.php in the theme, but their ranking has little to do with the that meta data
        So your saying that it's mostly the page title with the town in it and the 99% duplicate article? I puled up the sitemap last night - the site is huge! 100's of towns being targeted.
        Domain has a little age as well.
        Signature

        Growing older but not up!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7912164].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Colm Whelan
          Originally Posted by rugman View Post

          So your saying that it's mostly the page title with the town in it and the 99% duplicate article? I puled up the sitemap last night - the site is huge! 100's of towns being targeted.
          Domain has a little age as well.
          Maybe it's low competition?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7912370].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author rugman
            Originally Posted by Colm Whelan View Post

            Maybe it's low competition?
            Nope - not even close! Huge competition and a high dollar service. Keeping the niche off as I am in it myself but we don't have a website up yet.
            Signature

            Growing older but not up!

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7912502].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Colm Whelan
    Just look at the whole package. Ignore the geo-tags and check out the usual suspects - domain age, authority, pr, backlinks, social media etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7912786].message }}

Trending Topics