23 replies
I am looking to find a mentor who has successfully landed clients with a rent a website model. I like the idea of passive monthly income. However the model itself seems flawed. As Google places dominate the first page listings. Which means this lead generation website would get minimal traffic and leads for the business owner. Which means that they would be have a negative ROI with this rent a site model. Yes I am aware that a few listings can rank above google places but that is the exception to the rule. The vast majority will not. I would appreciate anyone feedback on how this model could possibly work.
#model #rent #website
  • Profile picture of the author trader2300
    For someone who had landed clients with the rent a site model I would be will to pay you to mentor me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8037594].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
      Originally Posted by trader2300 View Post

      For someone who had landed clients with the rent a site model I would be will to pay you to mentor me.
      How much is a mentor worth to you?
      Signature
      Promise Big.
      Deliver Bigger.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8037778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trader2300
    Have you successfully landed clients with a rent a website model? If so to what extent?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8037780].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eddie Spangler
    Sorry should have been more clear, Im not offering you my services was trying to find out what you think something like this is worth.

    Research.
    Signature
    Promise Big.
    Deliver Bigger.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8037812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YellowGreenMedia
    Originally Posted by trader2300 View Post

    I am looking to find a mentor who has successfully landed clients with a rent a website model. I like the idea of passive monthly income. However the model itself seems flawed. As Google places dominate the first page listings. Which means this lead generation website would get minimal traffic and leads for the business owner. Which means that they would be have a negative ROI with this rent a site model. Yes I am aware that a few listings can rank above google places but that is the exception to the rule. The vast majority will not. I would appreciate anyone feedback on how this model could possibly work.
    The world is bigger than Google...

    There are many ways to get traffic, if the ROI is not positive you should not be building a rent site in the first place.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8038092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trader2300
    I appreciate your response. What would be the different ways of getting traffic. Also I am looking for other ways to build value for the advertiser. Other than they get a premium listing in my directory. Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8038357].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shockwave
    Originally Posted by trader2300 View Post

    I am looking to find a mentor who has successfully landed clients with a rent a website model. I like the idea of passive monthly income. However the model itself seems flawed. As Google places dominate the first page listings. Which means this lead generation website would get minimal traffic and leads for the business owner. Which means that they would be have a negative ROI with this rent a site model. Yes I am aware that a few listings can rank above google places but that is the exception to the rule. The vast majority will not. I would appreciate anyone feedback on how this model could possibly work.
    Hi Trader,

    1. "Google places dominate the first page listings." - So what? Outrank them.

    2. "Which means this lead generation website would get minimal traffic and leads for the business owner. Which means that they would be have a negative ROI with this rent a site model. Yes I am aware that a few listings can rank above google places but that is the exception to the rule." - Then by implication, it sounds like you are unsure how to outrank GP? So then, do you believe that simply outranking GP will get you the ROI you're looking for? (hint: it will take more than outranking GP to convert a tire-kicker into a buyer (or to convince them to take some other CTA i.e. Call or Email)

    3. "The vast majority will not." - That's a pretty broad statement. I think it will depend more on the specific type of business you are trying to help.

    I'll be surprised if you actually find someone who is willing to mentor you AND help you get results (not just throw random theories at you) for an affordable price. I suppose "affordable" is a subjective term, but I'm betting that kind of information will at least be at a premium. Afterall, they would be creating more competition for themselves by giving you the instant, push-button, auto-pilot, passive income, super-duper, magic wand formula . Why do you think people that pump out WSO's sell them so cheap? If their info was that awesome, do you think they would really be telling everybody for such little money?

    ....if you're smart, you don't advertise a gold mine....you keep it to yourself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8040059].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author trader2300
      great post. I was looking for other ways to help add value for the painting contractors to advertise on the site other than a directory site. Any ideas would be appreciated. Something more than just traffic.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8040140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Craig McPherson
    Trust me Trader, it works. I dont have a directory like you are going to do though. I have individual sites that I lease to tradies all over the world. (sounds like a lot but it aint. I lease 11 sites in 3 countries.)

    I rank for the ridiculously easy terms to start with then zero in on the ones I want.

    Trader, it does work, you just have to make it work. Cheers mate
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8040451].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Huskerdarren
      Originally Posted by Craig McPherson View Post

      Trust me Trader, it works. I dont have a directory like you are going to do though. I have individual sites that I lease to tradies all over the world. (sounds like a lot but it aint. I lease 11 sites in 3 countries.)

      I rank for the ridiculously easy terms to start with then zero in on the ones I want.

      Trader, it does work, you just have to make it work. Cheers mate
      Why do you only have 11?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8040986].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mojo1
      Originally Posted by Craig McPherson View Post

      Trust me Trader, it works. I dont have a directory like you are going to do though. I have individual sites that I lease to tradies all over the world. (sounds like a lot but it aint. I lease 11 sites in 3 countries.)

      I rank for the ridiculously easy terms to start with then zero in on the ones I want.

      Trader, it does work, you just have to make it work. Cheers mate
      Trader listen to what this man has to say and read every post he's written and responded to on the subject. Craig is what I'd call a true Subject matter expert on local lead gen sites.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8069164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BenQ
    Don't rent the site, sell the leads instead.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8040457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trader2300
    I appreciate your responses. What are the best types of businesses to approach by selling leads.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8040719].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zashraf
      This is definitely still very possible even with Google Places taking up more and more space, and from my experience the easier way to get an offline income going.

      There are certain searches that have merged the organic results with the places, and these are your cue to hit them up as you can rank above places (among other things like normal competition research).

      The way I do it is rank for a moderately easy semi-long-tail term, get proof of traffic, put up a form, trackable phone number (callfire.com), and then once you have the authority, you can expand to try and net the bigger terms.

      Focus on keyword research though...and have a budget, because your not going to rank semi-competitive terms that agencies are going after without some real juice.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8041018].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author trader2300
        zashraf, I appreciate your post. I would like to know have you tried this rent a site in any niches and what was the response? If anyone else has tried the rent a website concept I would like to hear their feedback. Also any other ways to increase the value proposition for the advertiser.

        Thanks!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8041166].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author zashraf
          Originally Posted by trader2300 View Post

          zashraf, I appreciate your post. I would like to know have you tried this rent a site in any niches and what was the response? If anyone else has tried the rent a website concept I would like to hear their feedback. Also any other ways to increase the value proposition for the advertiser.

          Thanks!
          I do it in niches where I'm familiar with smart people in the industry. For example, contractors who realize the value of Google traffic, and will openly pay me per lead, or % of revenue, or flat fee per month. I get traffic stats, leads via form submission, and proof of calls before I even approach someone to rent (if I don't know them already), to sweeten the deal and make it a no brainer.

          I also only target niches where competition is not super competitive (if you live in a major city, forget dentists IMO). Also if your new to SEO, expect to have your first few sites tank, which is fine as long as you learn from them.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8041247].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trader2300
    Thanks for the fast response. How many paid advertisers do you have? I have a noticed a lot of free directories so I wonder if business owners just expect it to be free to list. Are the websites you build full pages or just landing pages? Any other ways to provide more value to the advertiser?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8041253].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kayster13
    This model is new to me, I appreciate the insights.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042243].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bawls
      If the site gets use then lead generation, if not that much use, then rent it or sell it
      Signature
      Dominate Craigslist
      ~1.50 Per Post * 90 Day Min Run * Ghost Free Guarantee~
      ~Full Phone & Skype Support * PM or Skype for Details~
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042296].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author asred
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8064532].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dimasfly
      i'm thinking about this model too, what i'm doing now is working on my friends website to target local traffic. I have done SEO work at first, and now i start the branding job. Oh..and he pay me monthly.

      I have several websites which rank on first page, when someone from the net call me, i always redirect them to my partner (the real business owner)..and when there is a deal, then i will get commision.

      Commision model is good, but it will be nice if i can secure a regular income. And i always dream of multiple source and type of income. From the smallest to the biggest type.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8074803].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author YellowGreenMedia
        Originally Posted by dimasfly View Post

        i'm thinking about this model too, what i'm doing now is working on my friends website to target local traffic. I have done SEO work at first, and now i start the branding job. Oh..and he pay me monthly.

        I have several websites which rank on first page, when someone from the net call me, i always redirect them to my partner (the real business owner)..and when there is a deal, then i will get commision.

        Commision model is good, but it will be nice if i can secure a regular income. And i always dream of multiple source and type of income. From the smallest to the biggest type.
        Build more sites than, dreaming about income is nice but actually having that extra income is much nicer lol. if you use the commission way to get paid then you can make a nice piece of change when you build only 10 sites.

        Setting up 10 sites is easy, even a beginner can have 10 sites within 3/4 months, so my advice is stop dreaminh for a while and take some freaking action lol
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8076709].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8076721].message }}

Trending Topics