First experience with cold calling

14 replies
I have never done this before, but I got a nice job where I cold call +-150 people a day. I have grown a lot in the first week, my sales are already "average" compared to employees who have been doing this for years.

The job itself is rather lame and the pay is quite pathetic but I love this new job.

when I look and listen to my co-workers I see mostly unmotivated voices and faces, most of them have zero motivation in their voices and act zombie like by repeating the same phrases over and over again, yet their success rate is similar to mine. It's not bad to be average after just one week after the first call, but I know I can be among the best, I'm very passionate about every call, and to be honest I receive a serious adrenaline rush with every sale I make. Especially when the customer is not ready to purchase the product but needs convincing, working with the brain of such customer and having success gives me a rush.

Are there any tips you guys can give me ?

I started rather low, currently I'm calling bank clients and offer them to buy new insurances AND also call newspaper buyers who I offer a two year subscription and a free samsung tablet.
#calling #cold #experience
  • Profile picture of the author imsirigiri
    Acquisitor, you need to read this

    http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...lling-fun.html

    Simple to follow and one of the best methods you can use. After this, get Tom Hopkins audio books and derive your own formula to make things happen.
    Signature
    Need a Technical Support VA on an Hourly Basis? || Need AdSense Microniche Sites Research and Development? PM me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8924686].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Acquisitor
      yes thanks, I will read it right now.

      I even like the title, and of course its fun. How can it not be fun, I feel my communication skills improving day by day (in Dutch which is my second language after Russian), I play with people's minds and get the results. It gives me such a boost. It might be naive to say this but I feel that with some experience I could be selling far more interesting things than lame insurances and tablets.

      Cold calling just seems so powerful, so mind raping and so manipulative that I feel great at work, contrary to most of my colleagues who are merely robots.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8924708].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author imsirigiri
        mind raping and so manipulative that I feel great at work
        WTF are you saying? If you do not believe that what you are offering WILL be beneficial to your customers, then it's YOU who are gonna be a loser.

        Do good and get something good from it. Period.
        Signature
        Need a Technical Support VA on an Hourly Basis? || Need AdSense Microniche Sites Research and Development? PM me.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8924721].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Acquisitor
          Originally Posted by imsirigiri View Post

          WTF are you saying? If you do not believe that what you are offering WILL be beneficial to your customers, then it's YOU who are gonna be a loser.

          Do good and get something good from it. Period.
          I do believe in WHAT I'm offering, the convincing part is the "mind rape" I was referring to.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8924733].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Russell Hall
      Originally Posted by imsirigiri View Post

      Acquisitor, you need to read this

      http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...lling-fun.html

      Simple to follow and one of the best methods you can use. After this, get Tom Hopkins audio books and derive your own formula to make things happen.
      Great advice,.. I can't tell you how refreshing it was to read your recommendation to "Tom Hopkins" I saw him live a couple of times in the 1980's and he was brilliant, - a true master of selling!
      Later I went into real estate in 1999 and used his audio visual (tapes and booklets) course on Real Estate selling and it turned my career on its head. I devoured the cold calling and phone marketing section and had a lot of fun getting listings and making money where others would simply struggle. I kept fresh by hitting the phone for 3 hour stints 3 times a week and it really worked. Before Tom Hopkins I was a cold calling coward,.. but after I became a top gun appointment getter!

      Again.. great advice you gave and I truly hope the OP follows through and continues to add momentum to what is apparently an excellent start.
      Signature

      Mvlti svnt vocati, pavci vero electi - Many are called [but] few are chosen

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8926304].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Acquisitor
        Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post

        Great advice,.. I can't tell you how refreshing it was to read your recommendation to "Tom Hopkins" I saw him live a couple of times in the 1980's and he was brilliant, - a true master of selling!
        Later I went into real estate in 1999 and used his audio visual (tapes and booklets) course on Real Estate selling and it turned my career on its head. I devoured the cold calling and phone marketing section and had a lot of fun getting listings and making money where others would simply struggle. I kept fresh by hitting the phone for 3 hour stints 3 times a week and it really worked. Before Tom Hopkins I was a cold calling coward,.. but after I became a top gun appointment getter!

        Again.. great advice you gave and I truly hope the OP follows through and continues to add momentum to what is apparently an excellent start.
        going to read it now, thanks again
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8927049].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8924810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rory Singh
    Cold calling can be very fun. Most people in the home based business industry struggle because they are afraid of the phone and lack the relaxed confidence in themselves and what they are doing.

    It sounds like you are more brave than the majority of people out there. Good for you.

    The skill set that you are learning can be worth millions if you ever find an offer and the 'mindset' to match.

    For me personally, when I call some one back that has asked me to call them through my website below, I don't try to sell them anything. I just present them with a few questions and let them sell themselves.

    And the best way is to do this without any 'attachment' to the sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8925606].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Acquisitor
      Originally Posted by Rory Singh View Post

      Cold calling can be very fun. Most people in the home based business industry struggle because they are afraid of the phone and lack the relaxed confidence in themselves and what they are doing.
      when they put a headphone with a mic on my head and told me to press a button which would start the first call, I was also afraid, especially because the boss decided to listen to me and how I respond to the client. So I was almost literally shaking with fear, however after a while I began to gain confidence, conversations became longer and longer, I made customers laugh and answer rather difficult questions, my sales improved dramatically.

      It sounds like you are more brave than the majority of people out there. Good for you.
      I didn't notice much fear in my colleagues, but rather indifference, they hated to say the same welcoming line over and over again, and it surprises me that they managed to get a sale here and there.


      For me personally, when I call some one back that has asked me to call them through my website below, I don't try to sell them anything. I just present them with a few questions and let them sell themselves.

      And the best way is to do this without any 'attachment' to the sales.
      that's a great tip. thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8926436].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Acquisitor
      double sorry, forum was malfunctioning.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8926462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xverify
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8927260].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mark healy
    I have done cold calling, i would say you need to start the call of very well from the start and develop your rapport and product knowledge skills.Remember to always close even if you think the customer is not interested as with cold calling you get judged on your results you get so if you close more often this will increase the chances of getting some sales.

    Have a good script prepared and tweak daily for whats working well for you.

    hope that helps and most of all have FUN!

    Mark
    Signature

    Build a Real Online Business from scratch today!
    Get Your FREE Webinar Training Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8927694].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Acquisitor
      Originally Posted by mark healy View Post

      I have done cold calling, i would say you need to start the call of very well from the start and develop your rapport and product knowledge skills.Remember to always close even if you think the customer is not interested as with cold calling you get judged on your results you get so if you close more often this will increase the chances of getting some sales.

      Have a good script prepared and tweak daily for whats working well for you.

      hope that helps and most of all have FUN!

      Mark
      thanks.

      I'm already making sales, in fact I make on average as many sales as those who have been doing this for years. Simply by sounding very enthusiastic. I'd love to continue doing this (cold calling) for another month or two, just to get the experience.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8927839].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Gylseth
    Acquisitor, with that attitude towards cold calling you are bound to either get promoted or be offered a higher paid job where you can continue to learn and enjoy cold calling.

    I know the situation you describe. I once worked at a call center where our particular team sold antivirus software b2b. At first we had 7 or 8 people on our team, but really just three of us committing ourselves to making sales (we averaged 200 calls/person/day). Our colleagues averaged about 60 calls a day, made very few sales, and generally just complained. Needless to say, they soon left the team. Once they were gone and it was only the three of us left, we nearly tripled our sales because we no longer had the distraction of demotivated co-workers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8933346].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AlexTee
      Here's a quick way to ramp up!

      Find out how much money the top earners make:
      • Find out who the top earners are
      • Before you start your day or when the opportunity arises ask them this question:
      • If you were me, knowing what you know now, what would you do to make money?

      Then do it....

      In addition, read articles, listen to CDs and attend workshops, etc.,

      I learned this from Tom Hopkins way back in the day when I first began selling.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8934077].message }}

Trending Topics