Cold Emailling Secrets

24 replies
I see lots of people asking questions about how to prospect using cold emailing.

Some of you are pushing products, benefits, or getting them to buy right there on the same email!!

All of this is bound to fail.

Cold emailling can generate PROSPECTS that want to talk with you, but it's up to you to phone that lead and take the sale to the next level.

Here's a template that I use, which I send from my individual work email address with my signature at the bottom.

'Hi,

I am wondering who is the best person to speak with in your organisation regarding sending SMS messages to your customers.

I am curious to see if we can supply a better value service and reduce your cost per message

Thanks for your time..'

If anyone has any improvements to the above copy I would love to hear them!!

The reason it works is that the emails you are sending it to are going through a gatekeeper first. The gatekeeper usually fwds it to the IT manager/marketing person and then you can have a real discussion with someone.

Out of 500 successful sends I usually end up with at least 10 leads that are open to me phoning them.

Another reason why is that you are not selling anything.. it's far to early for that. You just want the person who manages the inbound emails to send it to the right person.. and if it looks like a blatant advertisement it's not likely to reach them!
#cold #emailling #secrets
  • Profile picture of the author jsherloc
    Hey Matthew,

    What kind of companies are using SMS messaging these days do you find? I haven't worked on anything SMS-related so I am curious to see what is going on with the strategy these days, where and how it is being used etc.

    Just curious who your target market would be for a service like that. Seems like a lot of enterprise-level packaged phone/sms/tracking solutions are available out there too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958724].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
      Originally Posted by jsherloc View Post

      Hey Matthew,

      What kind of companies are using SMS messaging these days do you find? I haven't worked on anything SMS-related so I am curious to see what is going on with the strategy these days, where and how it is being used etc.

      Just curious who your target market would be for a service like that. Seems like a lot of enterprise-level packaged phone/sms/tracking solutions are available out there too.
      Hi,

      There are two categories of SMS and each have different laws per country and target markets.

      There's alert messaging, which could be a reminder for a patient's appointment, a notification to a technican that a server has gone down, a notification on a manager's phone that they have a priority email etc.

      Then there's promotional SMS, which in most countries is opt in. So bars advertising a drink special, a hair salon offering a free cut and colour etc.

      So to answer your question there is a broad market.

      But the best way we've found is to be integrated with software developers so it is harder to be shopped around like a commodity. For instance we work closely with point of sale developers to build in SMS functionality on a reseller model; the software developer uses our API and gets a commission on each SMS sent by their end users (restaurants, bars, cafes etc)

      On a more direct scale we have best success with pharmacies, car/truck hire places, taxi services. On a larger enterprise scale: banks, power companies, VOIP/Telco companies.

      There's a lot that goes into selling and developing SMS because it can be used for virtually anything and is heavily commoditized. We have had to work extra hard to include several advantages and skip several market segments where they just want to send a blast to 1000 people and not care about delivery or reliability.

      I hope this helped.
      Signature

      you cant hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958752].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author joe ferdinando
      Local Business and marketing $M$

      Almost any business these days can use an SMS System!

      you wrote: What kind of companies are using SMS messaging these days do you find?

      1) Restaurants
      2) Real estate
      3) Clubs and Bars
      4) Taxi and car service
      5) Auto repair and auto sales
      6) Any service provider
      7) Pharmacies and drug stores
      8) Local small businesses

      They only want to see how your going to bring them more customer clients and help make them more money!

      So you must show them how $M$ marketing can enhance their business and attract new customers plus retain old customers!

      That's why Loyalty card programs work well in the real world, they retain customers and bring in new customers by word of mouth - they go viral!

      And going digital with SMS Marketing is the way to go, specially if you have a digital loyalty program!

      1) Everyone has a website and will tell you this even if they dont!!!!
      2) The minute you walk into a local business what ever you market to them they will brand you with that. Example if you walk in and try to sell a website even mobile then thats what they will brand you with!
      3) Remember a hundred walked before you and tried to sell them!
      4) Price only matters after you got them interested, if they ask what does it cost then its show time. You show them the packages with differant prices!

      What grabs there attention
      1) Loyalty cards and programs
      2) SMS coupled with Loyalty card programs
      3) SMS programs, systems with appointment reminders, customer waiting notifications and coupon promotion delivery's

      What are some questions I can ask my prospects to narrow down their problems? So, that I can connect my solution to their problem?

      A) I usually go into the business and evaluate them
      1) Do they use a paging system for waiting customers
      2) Do they advertise locally
      3) Do they have a website and if so is it mobile ready
      4) How busy are they

      I have something to show them, I have a sample sms system setup to show them. I bring an Ipad and laptop with me. If they have wi fi I can bring up my sms system and show the owner the system.

      I found that if I show them before I ask any questions there is no confusion! And if they like it they will ask away!

      It goes like this. Excuse me is the owner here, Ok can I see him, can you please ask him for a minute of his time.

      when he/she comes I simply have my system up online on my tablet.

      I say lets say I just walked in to your restaurant and have to wait a few minutes. I enter my name and number into the system. I then say ok now my table is ready watch this and I click and its sends me a text saying my table is ready. This works with non restaurants to example "your watch is ready", "Your car is ready", "Your suit is ready", "Your order is ready", "Your food is ready", Your Meat is ready", "Your prescriptions are ready".... you got the idea!

      I then say watch this and I go and click to send me a coupon and my phone beeps and I open the text and click a link and show him the sample coupon.

      I then pull out a printed QR code and scan it (pre setup for there website if they have one) Once scaned their website opens on my mobile phone to there menu page or any page you pre configured to come up!!

      Then I ask them do you have any questions?

      Selling SMS and Loyalty card programs is not just a sale its a commitment to help them launch and build there list and program!

      1) Flyers and post cards
      2) QR codes
      3) List build - email, real mail, SMS

      Ok so once you work with and help setup and work with them and build the list you have to help them send out promotions, discounts special deals to there member list

      1) coupons
      2) flyers
      3) emails
      4) mail

      Once you have success you can get testimonials and recommended friends and other businesses coming to you!

      1) word of mouth
      2) refferals

      If you need a good Digital Loyalty card system or an SMS system contact me for more information

      Originally Posted by jsherloc View Post

      Hey Matthew,

      What kind of companies are using SMS messaging these days do you find? I haven't worked on anything SMS-related so I am curious to see what is going on with the strategy these days, where and how it is being used etc.

      Just curious who your target market would be for a service like that. Seems like a lot of enterprise-level packaged phone/sms/tracking solutions are available out there too.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author karenfisher252
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8960923].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bobby_shahzad
      Originally Posted by karenfisher252 View Post

      Another thing that works for sure is personalizing your emails. If an email is addressed by name to a user, he/she tends to read it with interest.
      Yeah for that you need to to upload the data with first and last name in the document....
      Signature
      BulkResponse.com Email marketing service , single and double optin accounts. List Hygiene Service Available.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8964260].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author karenfisher252
        Originally Posted by bobby_shahzad View Post

        Yeah for that you need to to upload the data with first and last name in the document....
        Yes but it will make that impact that a generalized email will not make.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8979963].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post


    If anyone has any improvements to the above copy I would love to hear them!!
    Matthew, this is a proven winner in my company...
    just changed it to your service.

    Subject: right person?

    Hi [name],

    Who should I be speaking with there about getting you people
    a better deal on your SMS service please?

    [sign off]

    We keep it to one sentence and we say better deal
    even though we may not, but we won't know until we talk.

    It gets a higher response rate than what you've mentioned.

    Best,
    Ewen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8961057].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dmarc
    Try highlighting your credentials, credibility, authority, and value a bit more. Your message comes off as pretty easy to dismiss. You give no real reason why the gatekeeper should bother giving you the relevant contact info.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8961216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author James English
      Originally Posted by dmarc View Post

      Try highlighting your credentials, credibility, authority, and value a bit more. Your message comes off as pretty easy to dismiss. You give no real reason why the gatekeeper should bother giving you the relevant contact info.
      Thats exactly why it works. You don't give the gatekeeper enough information to make a buying decision before you even have a chance to speak to the right person.
      Signature
      HandRaise.co Performance Driven B2B Prospecting and Appointment Setting
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8962666].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
      Originally Posted by dmarc View Post

      Try highlighting your credentials, credibility, authority, and value a bit more.
      This is exactly what I do. I tell the gatekeeper exactly who I am (the owner), where I'm at and what I do. I then ask for the individual who's in charge of purchasing.

      It may raise a red flag for a few gatekeepers here and there, but for the most part, I've found that 100% transparency has produced great relationships that are long lasting.

      I don't know your industry, but I'd almost guarantee that you'd get a better response if you called those 500 companies than you do by emailing them.
      Signature

      My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

      http://www.UnCENTSored.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8980683].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mark healy
    Hey matthew nice email template i shall start using this, thanks.

    Regards
    Signature

    Build a Real Online Business from scratch today!
    Get Your FREE Webinar Training Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8961917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
    For fun, I'm testing both versions in small doses. So far Ewen's is the only one that got a response. A negative response, but I see that as a positive:

    "I’m the guy, but we have no need for your assistance at this time."

    I'll keep you updated.
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8962743].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by joe golfer View Post


      "I'm the guy, but we have no need for your assistance at this time."
      Joe, "I'm the guy" is a common reply I've gotten.

      I'll still ask even if I know the email is going to the decision maker.

      It seems to create a response.

      Best,
      Ewen
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8962836].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        Joe, "I'm the guy" is a common reply I've gotten.

        I'll still ask even if I know the email is going to the decision maker.

        It seems to create a response.

        Best,
        Ewen
        Cool, I love it. I like both swipes. Good approaches you can use right away.
        Signature
        Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
        - Jack Trout
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8962979].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
    Matt,

    Good post, and GREAT band under your name... was just listening to them this morning.

    For what it's worth... here's an email template that used to work VERY well for my in the past, anytime I had to drum up some leads.

    I no longer use it, since I'm mostly managing my writers at my ad agency... so anyone who wants to tweak it to their needs, feel free.

    This would get 3 responses for every 10 emails sent, and is directly responsible for well over $100,000 in fees in 2009 or so, the last time I used it.

    Subject: your Clickbank ebook

    Hey ________,

    I noticed your program in the Clickbank marketplace.

    Like you... I also have a business on Clickbank.

    Actually... I used to.

    I recently sold it to one of my competitors for a VERY large
    amount of money.

    These days, I help fellow Clickbank business
    owners increase their sales and profits.

    That's why I'm contacting you.

    I'd like to help you sell more of your product... so you
    make more money.

    What's in it for me?

    Well, when there comes a time you're looking for copywriting help,
    you'll think of me.

    I welcome anyone to Google me to find out that I'm for real.

    When I was actively promoting on Clickbank, each of my 10 ebooks
    made six figures a year before I sold my business.

    In fact, just one of my fitness ebooks sold over $2.2 million dollars.

    And I've helped my clients sell over $18.5 million dollars' worth of their
    programs.

    I only mention this because I want you to feel comfortable following my advice.

    Now, I've been studying your site __________ and I have some ideas to share
    with you that could immediately increase your conversion rate and profits.

    On my site, _________ I'm offering a free copy critique.

    I'll look at your site in depth and send you over some steps you can use to
    immediately increase your sales and cash flow.

    There's no charge or obligation and I can usually get it done in 48 hours or less.

    I can also do your critique over the phone, together as I go through your site.

    You can call me XXXXXXXX.

    We'll go over your business and talk about some things you can do to get more
    sales and profits coming in.

    Again, this is a free critique, no strings attached.

    So go ahead and visit ___________ for your free critique

    Sincerely,

    Shawn Lebrun
    ----------------------------

    Of course, for those who responded... I actually did take
    a look at their site and give them a few things they could
    do ASAP to improve conversions.

    In other words, I proved my expertise to them.

    And then I would close for the sale... sending a proposal
    and follow up.

    Out of the 2 years or so that I used this off and on,
    never once did I get someone email back and complain.

    MOST were super happy that I was willing to help.

    And again, it was responsible for six figures in fees,
    simply by email and follow up.

    So, just figured I'd throw this out there, since it had a little
    to do with the thread.

    Good job, Matt.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8963019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
    The next step in the process is to qualify the lead a little bit.

    If they don't reply then I don't flag them for a follow up.

    'Hi John,

    Thanks for your email.

    Would you be available for a brief telephone discussion sometime this week to see if it makes sense for us to talk further?'

    If it's a good lead they usually reply back with some questions or what they're using now.

    Only follow up on the responsive prospects, not the people that just want to send emails back and forth.

    Matthew.
    Signature

    you cant hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8963332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author goharnett
    Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

    'Hi,

    I am wondering who is the best person to speak with in your organisation regarding sending SMS messages to your customers.

    I am curious to see if we can supply a better value service and reduce your cost per message

    Thanks for your time..'

    If anyone has any improvements to the above copy I would love to hear them!!
    Try something like this:

    [no "hi" skip it, wasted space]

    Ever thought about how using mobile phones to market your business works?

    Then let's talk.

    Call me on my cell at 222-2222.

    ----
    this goes right to their pain point (marketing on mobile). it's a question they can answer in their mind right away. (yes or no) it draws them in if they answer in their mind "yes" (let's talk) and it feels personal (on my cell)
    it's quick. as short as an sms message. people skim through emails fast

    BUT the SUBJECT line is most important...
    even more important.

    it has to get them to see your email.

    something dry and salesy will not be looked at

    make it intriguing like

    "You may not have asked this question..."

    "Have you got an answer to this yet..."

    It takes thought. I would definitely improve your short letter by making it less about you and more about their issue.

    Good luck.

    love to hear more from your efforts.

    Eugene
    Signature
    Eugene Harnett's Official Website
    ...no longer In the Pursuit of Happiness!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8963618].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
      Originally Posted by goharnett View Post

      Try something like this:

      [no "hi" skip it, wasted space]

      Ever thought about how using mobile phones to market your business works?

      Then let's talk.

      Call me on my cell at 222-2222.

      ----
      this goes right to their pain point (marketing on mobile). it's a question they can answer in their mind right away. (yes or no) it draws them in if they answer in their mind "yes" (let's talk) and it feels personal (on my cell)
      it's quick. as short as an sms message. people skim through emails fast

      BUT the SUBJECT line is most important...
      even more important.

      it has to get them to see your email.

      something dry and salesy will not be looked at

      make it intriguing like

      "You may not have asked this question..."

      "Have you got an answer to this yet..."

      It takes thought. I would definitely improve your short letter by making it less about you and more about their issue.

      Good luck.

      love to hear more from your efforts.

      Eugene
      If you write emails like that it won't reach the inbox of the right person.

      The person that manages the inbox of a small business is usually the gatekeeper... she just forwards the emails as they come through to the correct department.

      It reads and feels like an offer.. it's too early for that.

      Subject lines are not that important imo for B2B emailling.. what business does not open their email? Seriously. Especially when you use the subject line 'Enquiry' it is guarunteed to be opened. This isn't the same as affiliate marketing.

      Emails that look like sales letters or prompt direct contact look and read like spam.
      Signature

      you cant hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8963694].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
        Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

        If you write emails like that it won't reach the inbox of the right person.

        The person that manages the inbox of a small business is usually the gatekeeper... she just forwards the emails as they come through to the correct department.

        It reads and feels like an offer.. it's too early for that.

        Subject lines are not that important imo for B2B emailling.. what business does not open their email? Seriously. Especially when you use the subject line 'Enquiry' it is guarunteed to be opened. This isn't the same as affiliate marketing.

        Emails that look like sales letters or prompt direct contact look and read like spam.
        I agree. Don't bite off so much. Create a step they can respond to easily, and then move them down the funnel step by step.
        Signature
        Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
        - Jack Trout
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8964369].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KMalo
      With respect, your email screams "spam" to me.

      It isn't supposed to feel salesy, and more importantly it has to get the gatekeeper to forward it to the right person, which I'd suggest your email fails to encourage.

      Originally Posted by goharnett View Post

      Try something like this:

      [no "hi" skip it, wasted space]

      Ever thought about how using mobile phones to market your business works?

      Then let's talk.

      Call me on my cell at 222-2222.

      ----
      this goes right to their pain point (marketing on mobile). it's a question they can answer in their mind right away. (yes or no) it draws them in if they answer in their mind "yes" (let's talk) and it feels personal (on my cell)
      it's quick. as short as an sms message. people skim through emails fast

      BUT the SUBJECT line is most important...
      even more important.

      it has to get them to see your email.

      something dry and salesy will not be looked at

      make it intriguing like

      "You may not have asked this question..."

      "Have you got an answer to this yet..."

      It takes thought. I would definitely improve your short letter by making it less about you and more about their issue.

      Good luck.

      love to hear more from your efforts.

      Eugene
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8964321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amcg
    I'd add a caveat' don't use cold emailing with a web based email marketing program like Mailchimp. In all likelihood, your account will be suspended or worse terminated completely.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8964058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
    Matthew,

    I'd say maybe even try targeting-down your message even more. As you mentioned in your second post/reply, you also offer "appointment reminders" as SMS service --- this has an even more targeted niche(s) that each have their own pain points.

    For ex: you may want to contact medical/dental providers or other businesses that set appointments and rely on those clients to show up.

    'Hi,

    I am wondering who is the best person to speak with in your organisation regarding sending SMS messages to your customers. I am curious to see if we can reduce the numbers of no-shows and last-minute cancellations to your scheduled appointments.

    Thanks for your time..'
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8964367].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
      Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

      Matthew,

      I'd say maybe even try targeting-down your message even more. As you mentioned in your second post/reply, you also offer "appointment reminders" as SMS service --- this has an even more targeted niche(s) that each have their own pain points.

      For ex: you may want to contact medical/dental providers or other businesses that set appointments and rely on those clients to show up.

      'Hi,

      I am wondering who is the best person to speak with in your organisation regarding sending SMS messages to your customers. I am curious to see if we can reduce the numbers of no-shows and last-minute cancellations to your scheduled appointments.

      Thanks for your time..'
      The problem in dealing with direct users is that they usually have practice management software that automates reminders already.

      If they are sending SMS it's not possible for them to change providers without changing the entire system.

      This is why integration on an application level locks the user into using the gateway..

      To be honest, with a product like SMS I do get sales and new clients, but these are low-volume type customers.

      I'm sure that the above swipe will work well for over products, but for SMS it only yields low-value prospects.
      Signature

      you cant hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8966237].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
        Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

        The problem in dealing with direct users is that they usually have practice management software that automates reminders already.

        If they are sending SMS it's not possible for them to change providers without changing the entire system.

        This is why integration on an application level locks the user into using the gateway..

        To be honest, with a product like SMS I do get sales and new clients, but these are low-volume type customers.

        I'm sure that the above swipe will work well for over products, but for SMS it only yields low-value prospects.
        Agreed.

        There's so many other niche's or sub-markets of medical that dont have or want a complete solution or integrated IT solution that I focus on rather than battling dental practices and general physicians.

        There is a ton of opportunity in alert messaging with a subscription model as it generates recurring revenues.

        I was just of the mindset you mentioned in your second post.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8966316].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
          Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

          Agreed.

          There's so many other niche's or sub-markets of medical that dont have or want a complete solution or integrated IT solution that I focus on rather than battling dental practices and general physicians.

          There is a ton of opportunity in alert messaging with a subscription model as it generates recurring revenues.

          I was just of the mindset you mentioned in your second post.
          There is business out there if you want to go get it. 5,000 messages a month recurring is good coin if you can get them.. SMS as you know also has an organic increase of messaging across accounts that compounds at around 2% per month.. we are just positioned differently in the market and have systems better suited towards application developers. If I had more time I WOULD go and sell to end users.. but that's not what I'm paid to do. B)
          Signature

          you cant hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8966326].message }}

Trending Topics