My site (David Simple Photography - Simple Flash Photography Tips, Beginner's Lessons, all Free! - non-IM related) has been experiencing CPU Throttling penalties for quite some time. To the point that bluehost shuts down my site once in a while as my site's server load is affecting the other sites, according to them.
One of the most obvious problems may be plug-ins, so I turned off and deleted quite a few of them and saw some improvements in terms of CPU Throttle stats the past few hours (used to be 800sec-4000sec per HOUR last night to this morning - note, I'm in Asia), then after I removed like 5-6 plugins, mostly social sharing, related post/linkwithin, ppinger, cloudflare, etc. The CPU Throttling report on BH dropped to between 300-800 sec. per hour.
The site's still quite slow according to Google Site Speed (new Analytics).
- Nissin Di622 Review page logged in 352.72 average load time (11 views)
- Flash Buying Guide is next at 151.31 average (3 page views)
The rest drops gradually from 80 to 8 sec rather quickly after those two pages.
Some site info:
- Hosted on Bluehost
- Latest WP install with a custom theme made by a friend
- Site is >2years old, about 100+ posts and articles.
- Site average stats: 29K Visits/Mo, 24K Unique, 44K Pageviews, 2:16 Ave Visit.
My other sites (much smaller sites, some are niche sites) don't have a problem with load time, they pretty much load between 2-10sec depending on image load).
- Based on those info above (I know they're not much), can you pinpoint what the problems may be?
- If not, is it possible to start from scratch (clean WP install, clean DB, use a standard theme for test) without losing posts and comments? Will the problems just repeat itself when I restore the DB?
- If that's not possible or too complex, what's your best suggestion on tracing the root cause and how do I track site performance?
I apologize if my questions aren't that techy. I know very little about PHP and databases, but I do pick things up quickly if they're not too complex.
Hope you can help me out. Thanks.