What Can Be Modified For An App In iOS?

6 replies
I was looking for a resource that explains what parts of iOS and the Android OS can be changed and what parts can't be. I have an idea for an app and I wanted to do my due diligence before contacting a developer.

I have Googled a couple different terms but I have had no success. Any help is appreciated.
#app #ios #modified
  • Profile picture of the author Valdor Kiebach
    I dont think any part of iOS can be changed as its closed source.

    The Android OS is open source so every part of it can be changed, it is based on Linux.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Farish
    Originally Posted by Breakinglink View Post

    I was looking for a resource that explains what parts of iOS and the Android OS can be changed and what parts can't be. I have an idea for an app and I wanted to do my due diligence before contacting a developer.

    I have Googled a couple different terms but I have had no success. Any help is appreciated.

    Do you mean an app that you already have the source code to?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006223].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Breakinglink
      Originally Posted by Farish View Post

      Do you mean an app that you already have the source code to?
      No I mean I am looking to find out what functions in the code can be messed with in iOS. Like a list or something that says that I can change things like the call screen or can make the light cut on but I can do something else.

      I am trying to figure out how to make an app work but I am not sure what my limitations are.
      Signature

      "Someday" is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you.


      Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of. -Ben Franklin

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9007916].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Farish
        Originally Posted by Breakinglink View Post

        No I mean I am looking to find out what functions in the code can be messed with in iOS. Like a list or something that says that I can change things like the call screen or can make the light cut on but I can do something else.

        I am trying to figure out how to make an app work but I am not sure what my limitations are.
        Apple developer documentation lists everything on what you can do or not do.

        https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/navigation/

        If you are trying to figure out how an existing app works, you need to jailbreak an idevice and then you can reverse engineer the application.

        You can easily find out how to do this in Google. I believe the software that does this is Mac only.

        The posters above already answer about this in Android.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9008104].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author KirkMcD
        Originally Posted by Breakinglink View Post

        can make the light cut on
        Turning the light on is not "changing the OS."
        What you want to do might be simpler than you think.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9009887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KirkMcD
    Unless the device has been rooted, you can't change anything.
    For android, look at the app ROM Toolbox for things that can be done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006266].message }}

Trending Topics