If Google Were To Do SEO

25 replies
  • SEO
  • |
If Google were to do SEO to rank google. com on their search engines....

Where will they end up? Considering their bounce rate should be on the high side?
#google #seo
  • Profile picture of the author David Beroff
    Interesting; their own front page doesn't even appear on the first three SERP's for https://www.google.com/search?q=search+engine
    Signature
    Put MY voice on YOUR video: AwesomeAmericanAudio.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9778505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amenwolf
    Yup....
    Funny how the one everyone wants to be on.... isn't on...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9778510].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seoboyz01
      Originally Posted by amenwolf View Post

      Yup....
      Funny how the one everyone wants to be on.... isn't on...
      Ironically, Google doesn't need to rank to get traffic to their homepage.

      They used good old fashioned word of mouth and advertising to achieve fame and notoriety. And, so many people love them and will happily refer others to Google.com search for use. At this point, Google doesn't need to advertise anymore, they are so well known. Also, Google is the built in search function for many browsers, so it's default search engine for many users, even ones who have never seen the site before.

      Pretty much everyone knows about Google.com search now. There's no reason for them to even try to rank. After all, it's not like anyone will go to a website to search, 'best search engine'. They will just go to Google and make a search. Google does the best job of providing comprehensive search results, so most people will just automatically use them.
      Signature
      Google DOMINATION SEO service - Take your site 1st page of Google.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9786795].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    You're already on Google searching for Google.

    It's like walking into McDonalds & asking for directions to McDonalds.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9778650].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author amenwolf
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      You're already on Google searching for Google.

      It's like walking into McDonalds & asking for directions to McDonalds.
      Searching for search engines...

      It's more like going into macdonalds, asking for burgers and they show you burgers of other fast food chains.

      Originally Posted by AffiliatingAlan View Post

      It creates a paradoxical loop in space time.
      I just divided zero i guess...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9780260].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by amenwolf View Post

        Searching for search engines...

        It's more like going into macdonalds, asking for burgers and they show you burgers of other fast food chains.
        ...because that's the business they're in, showing sites from the entire web.

        Even If you searched for search engines on Google & clicked the Google search result you would land on the same website (Google).

        You have arrived at your destination...
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9781337].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author PaidAllDay
          Originally Posted by yukon View Post

          ...because that's the business they're in, showing sites from the entire web.

          Even If you searched for search engines on Google & clicked the Google search result you would land on the same website (Google).

          You have arrived at your destination...
          It's not like they made a logical decision to not rank for "search engine" because it just makes too much sense. It's because the word "search engine" appears nowhere on their homepage like it does in the other results.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9781752].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Banned
            Originally Posted by PaidAllDay View Post

            It's not like they made a logical decision to not rank for "search engine" because it just makes too much sense. It's because the word "search engine" appears nowhere on their homepage like it does in the other results.
            Nonsense.

            Their very existence is search.

            Amazing this thread is even happening.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9781768].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author PaidAllDay
              [DELETED]
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9781770].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tech84
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      You're already on Google searching for Google.

      It's like walking into McDonalds & asking for directions to McDonalds.
      Signature

      Insert Sig here for ***** Moolahs ,,I,,

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788610].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by tech84 View Post




        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9789926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shirlyn
    It's a mystery should be explain by matt but he is not in office now a days.....

    Happy holidays matt...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9778770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AffiliatingAlan
    It creates a paradoxical loop in space time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9779920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadamson
    They would use their already huge presence to gain attention and incoming links to their site via things like social media and other marketing techniques that big businesses can leverage to create a bus around their own site.

    It is something that small businesses cannot utilise to the same extent.

    They say just build great content and people will come, but this doesn't make any sense to most businesses that do not have an established client base or following.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9780328].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9781549].message }}
  • As pointed out, Google doesn't need to SEO their site. I too searched on Google for "search engine" and they show nowhere. Not surprising since looking at their code, there's not even description or keyword metatags and certainly nothing that says "search engine".

    I also did the same search on Bing and their site is listed second behind Dogpile for the plural and third (behind Wiki) for the singular term.

    As for bounce rate, why should it be high? It likely is extremely low, on the home page anyway. Who goes to Google and not do a search, land and bounce right out?

    Actually, thinking more about it, it may be higher than I think. Lots of people have Google set as their browser's home page. But my guess is those people do a search every time they open their browser. Even doing searches for the domain when all they have to do is type it in the address bar. But whatever their bounce rate, I doubt Google gives it any thought.

    Anyway, if they really wanted or needed to, I'm sure Google could SEO for "search engine" or any other term they want.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9782691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Here's how Google does SEO.

    Launch a product offering like Authorship, then have everyone link to them, then discontinue the service, and essentially build an enormous link profile in the process.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788697].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      The people that ask that question, and don't understand the answer, are also
      on google searching for:

      facebook, apple, twitter, amazon, ebay, yahoo, ...

      Funny thing...you are on google...and do a search for a search engine...
      since you are on google, what does the algo think? That you WANT
      google to show up in the results? Yeah. That would be three-stooges-searching.

      When doing three-stooges-searching, one expects to get three-stooges-answers.

      "Mom, I'm in the basement! I'm googling for a search engine. Oh look mom!
      There's one here in the results called google. I'll check it out. By the way,
      hope we aren't having meatloaf again. After 35 years, I'm sick of it."

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788763].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author godoveryou
      Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

      Here's how Google does SEO.

      Launch a product offering like Authorship, then have everyone link to them, then discontinue the service, and essentially build an enormous link profile in the process.
      This is exactly why so many of us freaked out about Google+ Authorship to begin with.
      Signature
      Don't Know Me? - Read my interview at Matthewwoodward.co.uk
      http://www.godoveryou.com/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9789976].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by godoveryou View Post

        This is exactly why so many of us freaked out about Google+ Authorship to begin with.
        Google is consistent with social fails (seriously).

        The only thing Google ever did right on their own was Google Search, Youtube was already successful when they bought them out so that doesn't count.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9790256].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author paulgl
          Originally Posted by yukon View Post

          Google is consistent with social fails (seriously).

          The only thing Google ever did right on their own was Google Search, Youtube was already successful when they bought them out so that doesn't count.
          Agreed. But that youtube? They took a money-losing enterprise and saw a HUGE
          potential. Not sure if youtube even makes money now, but I doubt if google
          cares. It's about a huge web presence.

          Ditto for blogspot.

          Those 3 sites alone, google.com (et. al.), youtube, and blogspot control
          a vast amount of internet real estate.

          And that's priceless.

          Now contrast that to MS. Everything they have touched online has turned
          to stone.

          Paul
          Signature

          If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9790370].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Banned
            Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

            Agreed. But that youtube? They took a money-losing enterprise and saw a HUGE
            potential. Not sure if youtube even makes money now, but I doubt if google
            cares. It's about a huge web presence.

            Ditto for blogspot.

            Those 3 sites alone, google.com (et. al.), youtube, and blogspot control
            a vast amount of internet real estate.

            And that's priceless.

            Now contrast that to MS. Everything they have touched online has turned
            to stone.

            Paul
            I wouldn't say Google saved Youtube because they didn't, YT had massive traffic from the start which is what Google paid for when they bought the site. The whole money pit thing was the media doing what they do best (guessing). Anytime there's massive traffic, there's money.

            I have no idea how blogspot breaks even money wise other than using those millions of sub-domains to promote Adsense.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9790770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ventureprofits
    Ridiculous, Google is Google. They play by their own rules.

    Oh and i'm pretty sure they have a bajillion links pointing to their domain that already ranks them...
    Signature
    Want ASM 2014? contact me
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9788812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kingoptimizer
    If Google would do SEO, then they would the biggest hypocrites known to humanity! LOL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9790343].message }}
  • Its funny to know that

    Well Google has many other options to gain popularity and to get incoming links so they perpetually requires SEO but for them to rank on Page#1 with Keyword like "search engine" is not possible of many reasons not only the one that they are not having Meta Title, Description.....etc.

    Google doesn't need to rank to get traffic to their homepage. As their Brand is popular now so they hardly need any SEO and regular updates from them is their real SEO. They are not playing for keywords as they have many other channels to earn and are not having any such nearby big competitor. Google being search engine itself is being picked by many other search engines or
    Signature

    Lance Bachmann

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9790715].message }}

Trending Topics