Here are some of the things you must keep in mind if you want to see organic traffic.
- Make sure you are using correct grammar in your content
- Internal linking is playing more role in link building now
- Use LSI keywords to give more keyword diversity to search engine crawlers
- Keep keyword density around 1% only
- Links are the KING, so try to grab from high DA, PA sites rather than high PR sites
- Web 2.0 links are working like a charm
- Your hosting plays a HUGE role in your ranking
- You website loading time is one of the big ranking factors
- Make sure you have no broken links on your blog
- Keep all the external links nofollow if it's not an authority site
- Social signals from high authority sites (FB, G+, Twitter, Pinterest) are must to have
- Frequency of your site updation is a good ranking factor
- Use Schema optimized theme for your blog (e.g Genesis Framework)
- Select SEO plugin very carefully because 2 SEO plugins can create conflict
- Select the theme having clean code
- Don't do over link building for same anchor text
I hope you'll keep them in your mind.
Feel free to suggest if there are any more guidelines.