Domain and Hosting affect to SEO website ?

21 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello everybody. I come from Hanoi Capital, Vietnam.
I bought domain .com for our company Vietnam Travel Advice
and hosting in Vietnam with internet provider in Vietnam. However, our customers come from USA, UK, Australia and another countries.
Kindly tell me Domain and Hosting affect to SEO Website in another countries such as USA, UK or Australia?
Thank you very much and glad to meet you all.
#affect #domain #hosting #seo #website
  • Profile picture of the author drschool
    Yes, it will have some effect. I can't tell you how much exactly though because there are a lot of other things that have to be taken into account. site speed is also a factor so it depends on how fast your hosting is, and how fast your site will load for people in US/Canada/etc..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9984639].message }}
  • Thanks Mr drschool & Mr AntonioSeegars1 a lot. You mean If our website bought hosting in Vietnam. but I still can SEO our website keywords in page 1 google.com.au if our website is fast.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9985169].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Blogdum
      Originally Posted by vietnamtraveladvice View Post

      Thanks Mr drschool & Mr AntonioSeegars1 a lot. You mean If our website bought hosting in Vietnam. but I still can SEO our website keywords in page 1 google.com.au if our website is fast.
      Yes, It doesn't matter where you are hosting and can still rank your site in any country.
      Signature
      ➨ Calculate your website worth ► webvaluecheck.com
      ➽ Find list of Ad networks to monetize your website at Ads Network Review
      ➨ Ultimate Google, Yahoo, Bing SERP Keyword Ranking Tracker ➥ Free Trial
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9985657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndresNWD
    I think you did well taking a .com domain as they are internationally known.

    The location of your hosting's IP is a ranking factor, but it's way more important the speed. I would recommend to use a Content Distribution Network such as cloudflare to make your website content perform better in distant countries.
    Signature

    SEO consultant at www.automaticbacklinks.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9985719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author multiplecloud
    Yes, it may. Google have pagespeed score. However, that's not much affect your ranking.

    The real situation can affect your sell when people from UK or USA come to website hosted in Vietnam and found that very slow to connect (Above 3 mins) They will click close and never come to your site again.
    Signature

    SafePBN - PBN on different shared hosting company
    █ 100% no bad neighborhood | host pbn at safest
    MultipleCloud - Multiple location hosting provider
    █ 200+ worldwide location | different server | different ip owner | best for pbn

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9985746].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aceriker
    Hi,

    Hosting should not be the largest concern you have in your SEO strategy, but there are certain exceptions to that. It can be penalized by Google for content reasons, and this may affect your site’s performance. So, it is also preferable to look for individual IP address so that risk of index removal is minimized.
    But, Matt Cutts says that the location of your server, the IP address affects seo. If you have a country specific domain, then you should not worry where you are hosted. There are also another two factors that have a real impact on the fortunes of your SEO, they are Page speed and Uptime & downtime.
    Signature

    Interested to develop booking and rental website then choose booking software , popular in developing clone script like groupon and airbnb clone

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9985864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alvinchua91
    As mentioned earlier, hosting affects but it is not the #1 ranking factor. As long as your SEO strategy is sound and of quality and quantity, then it would be safe to say that your SEO will not be really affected by hosting.
    Signature
    SERIOUS ABOUT SEO RESULTS? Stop looking for sleazy 'experts' on WF and start working with actual SEO firms.

    Check out how Shark Web, Singapore's leading SEO and SEM services company, can help you get on Google page #1 with our effective and safe white-hat SEO techniques.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9988131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
    If if was in your situation, I'd get a site built for each country .co.uk, com. com.au etc then get good hosting in each country.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9989883].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scottmacair
      Check out this article: The Impact of IP Host Location on Your Site SEO - Builtvisible

      Also before you make a strategy around many ccTLDs ask yourself, can you effectively maintain numerous websites? Many people find it hard to maintain one website to a good standard.

      Also if SEO is a part of your strategy can you build links to all of the sites?

      Nearly everyone I know who opts for many ccTLDs over one international domain struggles to maintain the sites and struggles even more with building links to many sites.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9990305].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        You people just keep peddling junk SEO, and it's a shame people blindly
        listen and follow such advice.

        Of course the location of your server plays a major part in SEO. And,
        contrary to the lunacy above, it could be the #1 thing, especially if
        you are targeting people in a specific country.

        Then we also have countries like pakistan, india, russia, china, venezuela,
        cuba, iran, (the list is endless) You don't think location of hosting plays
        a MAJOR part? I dare you to host a site in turkey and see how you
        friggin' fare.

        Go out and get any extension you want as well. Try a .tk.

        Obviously, you people have little history of the internet and how it works.

        You cannot read someone's blog post and think you are now an SEO
        expert. And not know the basics of the internet, as well as a little
        history. Keep up to date.

        .com is the default for the United States, which I'll bet few of you above
        SEO wannabes even know. Seriously. THINK: Why were other TLDs
        created? Just because? You can add .net and .org on the list
        of default U.S.

        No way would I ever host a site in vietnam if I were targeting people who
        wanted to travel there. It's rather silly, in a logical sense that wannabes
        show they have no clue. After all, vietnam hosted would be a sure tipoff
        that you are targeting people in vietnam. But then, those people are already there
        and have no need for travel info on vietnam.

        Of course location, hosting, TLD, all play major, major roles.

        But then, we see the minor leagues of seo abound here.


        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9990337].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
          Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

          .com is the default for the United States, which I'll bet few of you above
          SEO wannabes even know. Seriously. THINK: Why were other TLDs
          created? Just because? You can add .net and .org on the list
          of default U.S.
          Google claims they view the .com TLD as neutral. They've got this list of generic top level domains that aren't really tied to any country. Yes, there's many on that list that were originally meant as a country TLD such as .tk that you mentioned. (Wether or not people trust obscure TLDs is another discussion.)

          I don't think that hosting is #1 or even a major factor, but it's something that I'd look into. Nowadays everybody is able to use global CDNs that spread the site across the globe so it's getting harder and harder to draw any solid conclusions from IP addresses alone.

          But if my audience was in US, I'd go there in a heartbeat. Shorter connections definitely don't hurt. Your site would be hosted in the right country. But especially because US hosting sector has a lot of competition, and you tend to get better bang for your buck.
          Signature
          Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
          Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

          What's your excuse?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9990488].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author paulgl
            Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post

            Google claims they view the .com TLD as neutral. They've got this list of generic top level domains that aren't really tied to any country. Yes, there's many on that list that were originally meant as a country TLD such as .tk that you mentioned. (Wether or not people trust obscure TLDs is another discussion.)

            I don't think that hosting is #1 or even a major factor, but it's something that I'd look into. Nowadays everybody is able to use global CDNs that spread the site across the globe so it's getting harder and harder to draw any solid conclusions from IP addresses alone.

            But if my audience was in US, I'd go there in a heartbeat. Shorter connections definitely don't hurt. Your site would be hosted in the right country. But especially because US hosting sector has a lot of competition, and you tend to get better bang for your buck.
            They would never claim its "neutral" without an explanation. And that seems lacking.
            Neutral for what? China? Sure. Yeah. Japan? Let's see, yahoo.jp would be nonexistent.

            Why on earth does google put a country tld after virtually every major market
            they are going for?

            I cannot believe you people.

            Go visit india. Start surfing the internet. Go to a free blogspot blog....created in
            the US with a .com...booom. You'd be friggin' amazed at what shows up.

            In fact, put a tld after your blogspot blog....

            Try this, go to margsanimals.blogspot.com (picked at random)
            then try it using .ru instead of .com? Now ask yourself, WHY??????????

            Now, when amazon wanted to target the UK, did they get some lame domain
            like amazonuk.com? Or did they go for a .co.uk? Why if you claim that
            google could care less? Neutral? Fat chance.

            (Besides, "neutral" does not negate the fact that .com is the default
            for the US, and always has been.)

            If you do not think that location of server is a major factor, you sadly mistaken.

            And if you don't have one, and if you are targeting a country, where do you think
            your site will end up? And yes, that is a clear case that it is the #1 factor.

            The very first factor that you should consider if you are target a specific country.

            But hey, more power to you! If you want to target UK tourists to vietnam, go
            ahead...get a .com and hosting in dallas.

            Paul
            Signature

            If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9990919].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
              Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

              They would never claim its "neutral" without an explanation. And that seems lacking.
              Neutral for what? China? Sure. Yeah. Japan? Let's see, yahoo.jp would be nonexistent.

              Why on earth does google put a country tld after virtually every major market
              they are going for?
              You're talking about two different categories here like they were the same thing. Google considers some TLDs geo-targetable, and others not. And the explanation is really so simple and obvious that they don't need to spell it out.

              History. Wasn't this something you claimed that you know?

              There's the common TLDs that have been used all around without any consideration for years before this search stuff even began to be important. And then there's a bunch of newer ones that typically are from some godforsaken island nation that sold their TLD to a company, and that practically ceased to be a country TLD.

              Google's own use of domains is a way for them to separate their search in a way that makes sense for their users. It's got almost nothing to do with this discussion.

              Google is wrong on some poorly specified stuff just because? You've got to do better than that.

              Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

              Now, when amazon wanted to target the UK, did they get some lame domain
              like amazonuk.com? Or did they go for a .co.uk? Why if you claim that
              google could care less? Neutral? Fat chance.
              No, I'm claiming the opposite. The TLD they chose does affect geo-targeting of the site! And Google cares enough to put out a list like the one I linked.

              Also, it makes a lot of sense for someone like Amazon to choose country extensions because people already know them, and because they want to run separate shops (for several reasons that are not relevant to the discussion). They don't need Google's geo-targeting as a reason, and it probably wasn't working like this when they first opened a shop abroad.

              Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

              If you do not think that location of server is a major factor, you sadly mistaken.
              Maybe, maybe not. I happen to come from a country that has very distinctive language, so Google is able to detect it even if you mess up everything on your site. Makes server location much less important, you know...

              But as you can read from my previous comment the location of the server is something I would look into. I'm hosting my site in Finland partly for this reason, and have even got IPs in that are registered to the right country from a multinational host that I'm using (just love that service idea).

              You can safely tone down the hyperbole. I'm not claiming that this is bogus.

              (Some of the more important considerations: for my customers to get service in the local language, and for me to get my invoices the way I want. Electronically, directly to my ERP.)

              Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

              The very first factor that you should consider if you are target a specific country.
              In my opinion the very first would be making sure that Google knows what country you're trying to target (Webmaster Tools), making sure the language codes of your site are correct (if applicable), and making sure you mention the country (if applicable).

              Of course the large and geographically diverse english-speaking part of the world makes language a factor that's quite hard to use efficiently.

              Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

              But hey, more power to you! If you want to target UK tourists to vietnam, go
              ahead...get a .com and hosting in dallas.
              Not something I've said. Are you replying to an argument that just exist in your head?
              Signature
              Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
              Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

              What's your excuse?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9991554].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author talfighel
      Originally Posted by Michael Nguyen View Post

      If if was in your situation, I'd get a site built for each country .co.uk, com. com.au etc then get good hosting in each country.
      Yeah, but it will not make any difference when it comes to the search engines and getting their site ranked.

      I think that a .com for all sites is the way to go. This extension is recognized in many countries.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9990739].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    You can increase your chances of showing up high in the USA by going to Google webmaster tools and select USA as the target country.

    Right now, you're somewhere on page 6 for vietnam travel advice.

    Very crowded homepage. I, for one, would bolt.

    Have some white space between things.

    Originally Posted by vietnamtraveladvice View Post

    Hello everybody. I come from Hanoi Capital, Vietnam.
    I bought domain .com for our company Vietnam Travel Advice
    and hosting in Vietnam with internet provider in Vietnam. However, our customers come from USA, UK, Australia and another countries.
    Kindly tell me Domain and Hosting affect to SEO Website in another countries such as USA, UK or Australia?
    Thank you very much and glad to meet you all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9990429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Quotesa Ali
    Domain affects in ranking the keyword. While hosting affects the speed of website. So SEO is dependent on these two things.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9991822].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jaintechnosoft
    Web hosting can affect your search engine ranking for a variety of reasons. Firs thing is, does your host have reliable or guaranteed uptime? If your web host can guarantee that your site can be up about 100 percent of the time and accessed from any computer with internet access 24 hours a day, you are doing a good job!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9991832].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hemanth Malli
    Hello,

    Yes, There is some effect of Domain and Hosting. There is some dependency for SEO but, the content and quality of your website will have a greater part in determining the Page Rank of the website..
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9991882].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author damoncloudflare
    Server location has little, if any, play relative to SEO in most cases. Google has even stated this in public.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10035850].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author steveorg
      I was surprised to see that damoncloudflare say that server location isn't important. However, he's an authoritative source.

      I actually was going to recommend using Cloudflare's free CDN so that your pages would be served from a local IP address. In any case, the speed improvement that you get through Cloudflare can also play a small part in SEO.

      You may also want to learn about hreflang tags for more effective international SEO. However, that will not do much good if you do not want the extra work connected to having URLs targeted at individual countries such as:
      mysite.com/en-us/pagea (United States)
      mysite.com/en-au/pagea (Australia)
      mysite.com/en-gb/pagea (Great Britain)
      Signature
      Amz Review Fetch - Display Amazon Reviews On Your Site Automatically!
      Receive Daily Emails with New Reviews - Respond to Negative Reviews Quickly & Easily
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10036051].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Devilfish168
        huh I also keep question myself about this too. about hosting in different countries will affect target audiences.

        as my host cover 3 areas , USA side that include canada etc
        europe and asia

        I from asia so default my server using all be asia but I more target on USA audiences not my local people.

        but After I see all replies it seem like overall depend how your site been design and easy to load , speed .

        also best use .com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10054851].message }}

Trending Topics