What's up with the Wikipedia Mafia?

by PBMax
16 replies
  • SEO
  • |
They quickly concrete booted TWO of my genuinely great efforts to add a legitimate page. I followed the "cheat sheet" and did what they asked, but my pages were nominated for "speedy deletion." Come on, man. Speedy? Seems like an unnecessary suckerpunch.

Anyone here a Wikipedia pro who can get a few clients of mine on there? I have clients who seriously deserve placement.
#mafia #wikipedia
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by PBMax View Post

    They quickly concrete booted TWO of my genuinely great efforts to add a legitimate page. I followed the "cheat sheet" and did what they asked, but my pages were nominated for "speedy deletion." Come on, man. Speedy? Seems like an unnecessary suckerpunch.

    Anyone here a Wikipedia pro who can get a few clients of mine on there? I have clients who seriously deserve placement.
    Are the clients Amazon affiliate review sites or real businesses?
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071359].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PBMax
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Are the clients Amazon affiliate review sites or real businesses?
      Real, legit, award-winning surgeons. I don't mess with affiliate shenanigans.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071434].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        It most likely needs to be a content page.

        Come up with a page on some type of surgery, technique, etc.
        that does not have a page yet.

        If I were a real surgeon, I would hardly give a rat's behind about
        spamzola, unchecked, unreliable wikipedia.

        Wouldn't it be your job to tell them that?

        If any of them were famous, they already would have a page.

        I can't imagine why a client would need or even warrant a page.
        Nobody is entitled to anything on the net.

        Why would any normal person want a page on them that can be
        changed with spam and other crapola by anyone?

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071470].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author PBMax
          Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

          It most likely needs to be a content page.

          Come up with a page on some type of surgery, technique, etc.
          that does not have a page yet.

          If I were a real surgeon, I would hardly give a rat's behind about
          spamzola, unchecked, unreliable wikipedia.

          Wouldn't it be your job to tell them that?

          If any of them were famous, they already would have a page.

          I can't imagine why a client would need or even warrant a page.
          Nobody is entitled to anything on the net.

          Why would any normal person want a page on them that can be
          changed with spam and other crapola by anyone?

          Paul
          You may have a point there.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
    Originally Posted by PBMax View Post

    Anyone here a Wikipedia pro who can get a few clients of mine on there? I have clients who seriously deserve placement.
    Why would they even want that? It might stroke their egos, but that's the only benefit. Link on some obscure page isn't going to drive traffic, and it's nofollow.

    BTW, this has been the way of the Wikipedia for years. It's been about seven years since the local branch speedily deleted a page that I posted for a long-running and locally well-known restaurant in a cool historical building. Five years earlier a friend of mine had the hardest time to post a page for a CMS project he ran even with several decent offline and online mentions.
    Signature
    Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
    Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

    What's your excuse?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10071573].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post

      Why would they even want that? It might stroke their egos, but that's the only benefit. Link on some obscure page isn't going to drive traffic, and it's nofollow.

      BTW, this has been the way of the Wikipedia for years. It's been about seven years since the local branch speedily deleted a page that I posted for a long-running and locally well-known restaurant in a cool historical building. Five years earlier a friend of mine had the hardest time to post a page for a CMS project he ran even with several decent offline and online mentions.
      It's not always just about getting a link from Wikipedia. It's also about brand protection and reputation management. Creating a Wikipedia page and getting a few solid links to it will pretty much ensure that if anyone searches your name or brand, it is going to show up on the first page somewhere. Most companies want to control the first page (and sometimes the second page) for brand related terms.
      Signature
      New Private Mastermind Group Discussing SEO, Local SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and more -
      Open for A Limited Time!

      Request to Join
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072245].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author patadeperro
        Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post

        Why would they even want that? It might stroke their egos, but that's the only benefit.
        Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

        It's not always just about getting a link from Wikipedia. It's also about brand protection and reputation management. Creating a Wikipedia page and getting a few solid links to it will pretty much ensure that if anyone searches your name or brand, it is going to show up on the first page somewhere. Most companies want to control the first page (and sometimes the second page) for brand related terms.
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post


        If I were a real surgeon, I would hardly give a rat's behind about
        spamzola, unchecked, unreliable wikipedia.

        If any of them were famous, they already would have a page.
        OMG!! I honestly cant believe some of your opinions!! many of you have years in the forum (and I want to think in the industry as well) and all you can think is SEO.... what a shame, let me tell you why somebody would want a wikipedia page, and not just that, but pay big money for it.

        When you are making a PR (Public Relationship) work many people look for sources and many lazy reporters/bloggers dont go deeper than wikipedia, then having a wikipedia is a form of controling the information sources and it creates a positive feedback loop meaning that when you send your press release (A real one, not one just looking for backlinks) people will Google the name and they will see they have a Wikipedia page and they will get the same conclusion Paul wrote: "They must be somebody where they have a wikipedia page" then they get interviews, tv spots etc..... that if it were paid they would be super expensive!!!

        And then you add those TV interviews, radio spots to your wikipedia page as more sources and you keep going creating a real expert position.

        But that is an hypotetical case.... not that I have ever done it
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072351].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
          Originally Posted by patadeperro View Post

          OMG!! I honestly cant believe some of your opinions!! many of you have years in the forum (and I want to thing in the industry as well) and all you can think is SEO.... what a shame, let me tell you why somebody would want a wikipedia page, and not just that, but pay big money for it.

          When you are making a PR (Public Relationship) work many people look for sources and many lazy reporters/bloggers dont go deeper than wikipedia, then having a wikipedia is a form of controling the information sources and it creates a positive feedback loop meaning that when you send your press release (A real one, not one just looking for backlinks) people will Google the name and they will see they have a Wikipedia page and they will get the same conclusion Paul wrote: "They must be somebody where they have a wikipedia page" then they get interviews, tv spots etc..... that if it were paid would be super expensive!!!

          And then you add those TV interviews, radio spots to your wikipedia page as more sources and you keep going creating a real expert position.

          But that is an hypotetical case.... not that I have ever done it
          That's pretty much what I was getting at. It's about branding.
          Signature
          New Private Mastermind Group Discussing SEO, Local SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and more -
          Open for A Limited Time!

          Request to Join
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072362].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author patadeperro
            Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

            That's pretty much what I was getting at. It's about branding.
            Mike to me saying that Wikipedia page is for branding is like saying that the Internet is for porn and cats, I think it is an oversimplification and I was just trying to explain in a deeper detail how a wikipedia page can go beyong just branding and backlinks; anyway just trying to expand the issue.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072377].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
              Originally Posted by patadeperro View Post

              Mike to me saying that Wikipedia page is for branding is like saying that the Internet is for porn and cats,
              There's also dogs.
              Signature
              New Private Mastermind Group Discussing SEO, Local SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and more -
              Open for A Limited Time!

              Request to Join
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072418].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author paulgl
          Originally Posted by patadeperro View Post

          OMG!! I honestly cant believe some of your opinions!! many of you have years in the forum (and I want to thing in the industry as well) and all you can think is SEO.... what a shame, let me tell you why somebody would want a wikipedia page, and not just that, but pay big money for it.
          Yeah...right....wikipedia is the most copied site. What happened to unique?
          Wikipedia is open to anyone to spam you page.

          If I was a real surgeon, promoting my practice, and some clown who had
          a bone to pick with it or me.

          You have zero control over what gets put on wikipedia

          If you are Joe Shmo with a "brand," wikipedia is hardly the place.

          If you are walmart, mcdonalds, or even bill cosby, you can weather
          what gets put there.

          Repeat:
          You have zero control over what gets put on wikipedia

          Paul
          Signature

          If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072620].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author patadeperro
            Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

            Yeah...right....wikipedia is the most copied site. What happened to unique?
            Wikipedia is open to anyone to spam you page.

            If I was a real surgeon, promoting my practice, and some clown who had
            a bone to pick with it or me.

            You have zero control over what gets put on wikipedia

            If you are Joe Shmo with a "brand," wikipedia is hardly the place.

            If you are walmart, mcdonalds, or even bill cosby, you can weather
            what gets put there.

            Repeat:
            You have zero control over what gets put on wikipedia

            Paul
            Yes Paul, why don't you just keep plundering the web and ranting instead of talking about things you know nothing about? Why don't you simply accept you don't know how to do it instead of saying you have zero control over it? Why do you think OP is looking for an admin or a wikipedia Pro? Do you think he is just going to tell you "thank you"? anyway... I guess is better to simply deny and attack ideas instead of learning them.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10072830].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
          Originally Posted by patadeperro View Post

          OMG!! I honestly cant believe some of your opinions!! many of you have years in the forum (and I want to think in the industry as well)
          I'm honestly finding this "all you people" stuff pretty tired. There's been enough of it already.

          What you describe is out of reach for most average companies as was described in OP. When you're in that position it's the job of a PR company to get you "Wikipedia worthy". Sure, things may get easier when you're a bit more well-known.
          Signature
          Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
          Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

          What's your excuse?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10074842].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarksWineClub
    Wikipedia is a big enough site....it's got it's own culture. I don't know much about getting an entire article written, but I can attest that adding a link to something you've written yourself....will absolutely get deleted.

    I have had success though, reaching out to some of the folks most active writing in my nice (wine) and asking them if they thought the content I had produced was worthy to be mentioned in a Wikipedia article. Really, if the content is good enough (say information directly from winemakers about fermentation of different grapes) it's been pretty good-
    Signature

    Read our most recent articles on wine, this month it's that unappreciated region called Napa Valley.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10075896].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author FBGuruWA
      It's entirely about sources. To get a new page up, you need high quality sources. For people in particular, those sources must demonstrate why the person is notable enough to deserve a Wikipedia page, which generally means at least one source must be a profile from a publication with national reach. The only real way around this is if the person in question is a high ranking employee of a major company or organization, which would be enough to indicate that they deserve a place in an encyclopedia.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10076583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mkgg
    If they deserve a page, then they will get it. By the sound of it, either your clients aren't simply wiki worthy or your content writing skills sucks in a major way that you should attend high-school (no offense meant). I am going to assume its the former.

    I have edited several and authored two wiki pages related to my niche, then went and shamelessly targeted the keywords once i realized i could. Guess what, it does squat for rankings because the links are no-follow. So if your sole purpose is for getting a link from there, don't waste your time.

    Wikipedia doesn't need a cheat-sheet, their rules are simple. Use your judgment whether what you are writing actually deserves a wiki page or not and if people reading it will be helped in anyway. Unless the surgeon clients you have are celebrities in their field or published some amazing new technique then they don't deserve a wiki page. What did they receive awards for ? probably for something nobody gives a crap about except the surgeons and their immediate circle of friends.

    If they deserve to be on this list then try and reason with "wikipedia mafia" and if they truly deserve it, the page will stick otherwise never.
    List of surgeons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10076712].message }}

Trending Topics