Visits from YouTube can affect the ranking of a website?

22 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello mates,

I have a question from experts please,

I have a website which is in the second page of G and gets almost 10-15 visits every day.

My question is, if I put the link of the said website in the description of one of my YouTube videos, so that increase the website visits, can this affect the ranking of my website, and say for instance help the website to come up to the first page of G?
#affect #ranking #visits #website #youtube
  • The link sure will help in rank, but I don't think increase website visit this way can "instance help" your website rank. However if your website content good enough to keep visitor here, it will be another story.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10320667].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      The link will not help help your rank.

      Why on earth would anyone even suggest that it does?

      And traffic, well, unless you offer something good, like
      guitar lessons on a guitar lesson video, recipes on a cooking
      channel, you will get zero traffic.

      Oh but then you would need viewers of said videos, and lots
      of 'em.

      I use youtube all the time for watching videos of stuff I want.
      I cannot remember clicking more than 3 or 4 links in the past
      10 years total. And I have watched zillions. If people actually
      need to visit your site, they will surf out of your video to another
      one that gives them what they want.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10320785].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brendan Mace
        It all depends on the call to action that you use for your links.

        I've gotten a TON of traffic from my YouTube channel to my affiliate offers and email list.

        To the point where it's actually a nice $2,000+/month income stream for me.

        I agree with Paul, that if you just leave a link in your description, it won't get much traffic.

        BUT!!! If you tell people about it, and ask them to click it. You can get a very significant amount of people to visit your link.

        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        The link will not help help your rank.

        Why on earth would anyone even suggest that it does?

        And traffic, well, unless you offer something good, like
        guitar lessons on a guitar lesson video, recipes on a cooking
        channel, you will get zero traffic.

        Oh but then you would need viewers of said videos, and lots
        of 'em.

        I use youtube all the time for watching videos of stuff I want.
        I cannot remember clicking more than 3 or 4 links in the past
        10 years total. And I have watched zillions. If people actually
        need to visit your site, they will surf out of your video to another
        one that gives them what they want.

        Paul
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10321700].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
          Originally Posted by Brendan Mace View Post

          I've gotten a TON of traffic from my YouTube channel to my affiliate offers and email list.
          That's very nice, and getting conversion should be your real goal. Ranking higher just helps to reach whatever you're trying to reach.

          However, question was about ranking, and for that the YouTube doesn't help. Traffic is not directly a ranking factor.
          Signature
          Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
          Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

          What's your excuse?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10321986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dynamicsuccess1
    Its hard to tell if a link from YouTube will directly affect the ranking of your website without looking at your website and all its metrics. But the general thing is that any link from an authoritative website such as YouTube will benefit your website. It acts like a reference to your website. Now, if that video is within the niche of your website and optimized for YouTube's search engine, this could mean increase of traffic flowing over from YouTube.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10321552].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author st0nec0ld
    Every platform is a possibility. So I'm pretty sure it'll help.
    But with regards to traffic, ranking is not an assurance that it will increase traffic generation.
    Once again, ranking on SERP will just give you more visibility and possibilities.
    Signature

    12BET | Live Casino Malaysia

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10321759].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joeseobread
    The link will not help help your rank.You will get traffic id service is good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10321887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasminemartin
    No there is no any link with youtube visitor with search algorithm its only increases video's view.
    Signature

    Custom website design by professional website designer

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10322317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wizard12
    Thanks all mates for your replies,

    As "nettiapina" mentioned I just meant, If I support and increase the traffic of my website by say the traffic of my YT video (and yes I am sure that people will click on my link via YT too) Can It affect the ranking of the website in Google? I didn't mean if the website link itself in the video description can affect theranking or not (cause I know that the links from YT are nofollow). Just wanted to see if more traffic for my website can lead to higher ranking (ie for instance causing my website to come to the first page of G from the second page?)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10322747].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Synnuh
    It's a nofollow link, so it won't move your rankings from the power of the link itself. Google is spending more time trying to focus on user interactions with a site, so over time, people visiting your site from the YT link could improve your "onsite metrics". If Google should ever be able to do away with links, "user metrics" are going to be what they utilize to replace them with. Your YT links with visitors "sticking" to your site afterwards will only help you in that case.

    There are services now that use microworkers to click through to your site from the SERPs, browse around, and then move onto other things. I haven't checked much into it, but it looks like they've been able to successfully manipulate the rankings on the 1st page through user interactions with the site. It's purpose is to show Google that people use and like your site.

    To answer your question: yes. More (targeted, sticky) traffic to your website will increase it's rankings over time. Keyword there is 'time'.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10322768].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

      To answer your question: yes. More (targeted, sticky) traffic to your website will increase it's rankings over time. Keyword there is 'time'.
      That is one huge, fat falsehood. Complete utter nonsense.

      Not just that one statement, but the whole enchilada.

      I have no idea where you people live, but it's not on Earth.

      Do you people actually read what you write? I doubt it.

      I can only guess the country of origin of that trash.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10323274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Synnuh
    Crawl back in your hole, I haven't seen you contribute shit lately other than negativity. Starting to sound like my ex.

    Test it, you'll be enlightened. Use "user interaction" on a site on the second page, watch what happens.

    Yuh, yuh, you can pay me later.

    - Syn

    P.S. You doing ok? Bank account in good order? If you need coaching, I might consider a charity case for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10323483].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

      Crawl back in your hole, I haven't seen you contribute shit lately other than negativity.
      You are part of the blind leading the blind. This useless thread
      should have been stopped after the first useful answer, which I
      keep repeating:

      Visits from youtube don't do squat for rankings.

      You, my friend, are what is wrong with the whole SEO business.

      You keep telling people nonsense.

      I wish people like you would crawl into a hole and die. You just muck up
      this forum with junk, idiotic, nonexistent SEO. I pity the fools.

      Your whole reply is just on HUGE FAT falsehood. But, no
      wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes.

      The problem, is you are the Pied Piper leading unsuspecting
      children down a sewer hole with you. And that's tragic.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10323703].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Synnuh
    ..........

    It smells good down here.

    User interactions with your site (especially ones coming from a Google owned property) are being worked into the algorithm.

    It doesn't matter whether you've clicked links under videos before. I have, and do quite often. My daughter does it more than I care to imagine.

    You really think Google has lost millions (billions) of dollars on social signals without doing anything with the data? You're not that naive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10323732].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
      Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

      User interactions with your site (especially ones coming from a Google owned property) are being worked into the algorithm.
      So your statements are speculation on some potential future development of Google search? Fair enough, but there's no need to treat speculation as a fact of current situation.

      Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

      You really think Google has lost millions (billions) of dollars on social signals without doing anything with the data? You're not that naive.
      Well, that's just silly. Google hasn't lost anything. They're The Big Brother of the web, trying to track everything they can. They just don't apparently use that data in the way you fantasize them using it. The data in itself is enormously valuable to a company that sells advertising and targeting to go with it.

      Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

      There are services now that use microworkers to click through to your site from the SERPs, browse around, and then move onto other things. I haven't checked much into it, but it looks like they've been able to successfully manipulate the rankings on the 1st page through user interactions with the site. It's purpose is to show Google that people use and like your site.
      And this is a completely different topic. It'd make sense for Google to track clicks from their search, and bounces back to the search. That's directly related to the popularity of the results in the SERPs. YouTube is not Google Search, and they'd get no such insight from other properties.

      As far as I know that manipulation method was more successful in the past, but it's something that people do.
      Signature
      Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
      Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

      What's your excuse?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10323897].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Synnuh
        Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post

        So your statements are speculation on some potential future development of Google search? Fair enough, but there's no need to treat speculation as a fact of current situation.

        And this is a completely different topic. It'd make sense for Google to track clicks from their search, and bounces back to the search. That's directly related to the popularity of the results in the SERPs. YouTube is not Google Search, and they'd get no such insight from other properties.

        As far as I know that manipulation method was more successful in the past, but it's something that people do.
        No speculation or fantasizing here. Test it. Clickthrough effects rankings. That clickthrough doesn't just mean from the SERPs. Right now it is, and has been proven.

        Edit: I see where you're getting the "speculation" from -- because of paulgl trying to shoot down the whole post.

        Yes, YouTube links effecting rankings is speculation with the "voodoo" (all signs point to it being retarded for Google not to look at) backing it up -- I said that in the first post.

        There's no scientific proof that Google utilizes CTR data from their own properties, outside of the SERPs, to influence rankings.

        The speculation comes from knowing that if you're cookied, coming from Google.com, and can be tracked to influence a site's rankings, why wouldn't the same cookies from other Google owned properties function the same way?

        Google has patents for it. They already stated they used the data from SERPs to determine rankings. It's a natural progression for their algorithms, to implement more human based signals.

        Clickthrough data from SERPs effecting rankings is not speculation. It's easily manipulated, still.

        Sorry if I wasn't clear? I just re-read the whole thread twice and it makes perfect sense to me.

        Google is going to use as many metrics as possible to determine who ranks. Not including information they can gather from their own properties, that is the same information already used to make comparisons for SERPs, would be amateur.


        Well, that's just silly. Google hasn't lost anything. They're The Big Brother of the web, trying to track everything they can. They just don't apparently use that data in the way you fantasize them using it. The data in itself is enormously valuable to a company that sells advertising and targeting to go with it.
        I used the wrong word. Replace "lost" with "spent". We're on the same page.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10324339].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
          Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

          No speculation or fantasizing here. Test it. Clickthrough effects rankings. That clickthrough doesn't just mean from the SERPs. Right now it is, and has been proven.
          Citation needed. If it's proven you only need to link a source.

          And if you're using only yourself as an authority on this matter that's a very poor argument. You don't get to use that kind of language if it's only something you happen to believe in.

          Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

          Edit: I see where you're getting the "speculation" from -- because of paulgl trying to shoot down the whole post.
          I was referring to your posts. Even the way you phrased it made it sound like pure speculation. And, you even use the word "speculation" in your own post when referring to your own comment!

          Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

          The speculation comes from knowing that if you're cookied, coming from Google.com, and can be tracked to influence a site's rankings, why wouldn't the same cookies from other Google owned properties function the same way?
          The fact that cookies exist doesn't really prove anything other than that the cookies exist. Why would they function in the way you claim? It's your argument, you've got to show how and why it works. Incredulity isn't an argument, and neither is speculation of a potential usage.

          Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

          Google has patents for it. They already stated they used the data from SERPs to determine rankings. It's a natural progression for their algorithms, to implement more human based signals.
          Google has patents for all sort of stuff. That's also not a solid argument for anything. I tend to disregard the claims for entity X doing something because they hold a patent for the very reason that all the huge companies patent everything they can even if they have never had any intention to use the invention.

          I did say that I believe that they use stats from their SERPs to evaluate the rankings. There's no need to argue about this. However, that's a completely different discussion. I'm not sure why you're constantly derailing your own argument to some other web properties (i.e. Google search) that exist for a completely different reason.

          Seems like a red herring to me.

          I don't need "scientific" proof, nor do I need arguments that are perfectly laid out. I just need something. You know, anything that isn't just merely circumstantial, speculation, or referring to your own authority.

          Why do you say what you say? What proof are you referring to? Please point us to the right direction.

          Originally Posted by Synnuh View Post

          I just re-read the whole thread twice and it makes perfect sense to me.
          Well, I guess that explains a lot.
          Signature
          Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
          Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

          What's your excuse?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10329433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author antonyperk
    with the YouTube link you, will increase your traffic. in time you will see if you increase also your rank, anyway this link will not affect you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10324242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wizard12
    So mates what would be the final decision in this regard?

    Can we expect any ranking improvement for our website just because of views coming from social networks like Youtube? If not, then this means that Google just uses the the bounce rate of for the people who come from search engines (organic traffic?)?

    Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10330679].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
      Originally Posted by wizard12 View Post

      Can we expect any ranking improvement for our website just because of views coming from social networks like Youtube? If not, then this means that Google just uses the the bounce rate of for the people who come from search engines (organic traffic?)?
      No. It's a nofollow link, and there's no mechanism that's known to affect the results.

      Also, it doesn't even necessarily mean that Google uses the clicks from the search. It's not "either this works, or it has to be this other thing". However, I think it'd make sense for Google to take these actions in account. And as far as I've understood Synnuh's position we agree on this.

      At least don't build any expectations on those YouTube links affecting your SEO. Do something else too. Of course it's possible to get a new fan or follower who likes your content so much that they're going to link you from their own properties.
      Signature
      Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
      Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

      What's your excuse?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331689].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kherk Roldan
    No. it wont affect your ranking. that's it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author remcuaanhtai
    Link on description video is nofollow,but you still get backlinks in google webmaster. So your website will have more traffic. However, whether you put links in the description as a violation of YouTube policies may be reported and account termination youtube
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331769].message }}

Trending Topics