Potential Client Issue - HELP!!!!

25 replies
  • SEO
  • |
We've had an inquiry from a local business who's SEO guy has walked away from their website, as he cannot do anything to improve the rankings.

Looking at the site, it does appear to have been hit with a penalty - low quality spammy links.

The issue is the possible client wants to still use their existing domain name as so many people know it...Our thoughts are, to start on a clean sheet with a new website and redirect the penalised domain to this, will this also redirect the panelty??

Any thoughts or work arounds would greatly be appreciated.
#client #issue #potential
  • Profile picture of the author KinneyJ2014
    How to Remove a Google Penalty

    Once you've determined that your site has indeed suffered a penalty by Google, whether through an algorithm update or manually, and you've taken the appropriate steps to fix the issue(s), you can submit a Reconsideration Request.



    What should be included in a proper reconsideration request?

    Signature
    Set S.M.A.R.T. goals
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726556].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DexterGallagher
    Thank you for that, the client does not know if it was a manual or algo penalty! Never used webmaster tools!
    Signature

    We offer mobile optimized websites at http://mobilewebsitecreationltd.co.uk/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    You're the expert but the client fights you. I foresee a problematic relationship.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726712].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DexterGallagher
      I haven't said they are a client have I? I said we have've had an inquiry. Before we take them on, we want to make sure we can help, if not we will not take them on.

      Also, I do ask if you can offer a work around, what infromation you offered was useless and only used to boost your posting numbers. If you have nothing to contribute, move on.


      Originally Posted by DABK View Post

      You're the expert but the client fights you. I foresee a problematic relationship.
      Signature

      We offer mobile optimized websites at http://mobilewebsitecreationltd.co.uk/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726818].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DABK
        Let me rephrase my contribution: Your inquiry is coming from a person you're going to have a hard time. You, probably, can help. But will it be worth it?

        The thing to consider when cleaning up and resubmitting is this: has all the crap been done and found already by Google or will you be cleaning up only to find out there's new stuff to clean up? (Set expectations properly.)

        From my experience, some of the people who don't know how crappy links ended pointing to their site are the very people who bought them. And who will buy more, while you're working to clean up the site. Might not be your guy, but you should make sure.

        In your place, I would not take on the job. But, if I did, I'd start a new site and not redirect the old one.

        By the way, good morning, sunshine!

        Originally Posted by DexterGallagher View Post

        I haven't said they are a client have I? I said we have've had an inquiry. Before we take them on, we want to make sure we can help, if not we will not take them on.

        Also, I do ask if you can offer a work around, what infromation you offered was useless and only used to boost your posting numbers. If you have nothing to contribute, move on.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726945].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by DABK View Post

          Let me rephrase my contribution: Your inquiry is coming from a person you're going to have a hard time.
          Nothing in the OP suggests a difficult client. A local business owner is much less likely to have placed their own links. They are generally busy running their business not doing SEO. Second the request and desire to keep a domain that existing customers know and may even search for in the search box is perfectly rational and not having the same domain can result i n losing business from existing customers who may think the site is no longer available when the name of the site without the tld shows nothing.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726983].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DABK
            local business who's SEO guy has walked away from their website

            That, to me, suggests difficult clients. You don't fire good clients.

            You "walk away" from clients who don't pay as you agreed, clients who want you to do things you don't want to do, clients who annoy you, etc.



            Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

            Nothing in the OP suggests a difficult client. A local business owner is much less likely to have placed their own links. They are generally busy running their business not doing SEO. Second the request and desire to keep a domain that existing customers know and may even search for in the search box is perfectly rational and not having the same domain can result i n losing business from existing customers who may think the site is no longer available when the name of the site without the tld shows nothing.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728388].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
              Originally Posted by DABK View Post

              local business who's SEO guy has walked away from their website

              That, to me, suggests difficult clients.
              Well I try to go with what the OP actually says in these cases

              We've had an inquiry from a local business who's SEO guy has walked away from their website, as he cannot do anything to improve the rankings.
              That says pretty directly that he could not improve the rankings not that he caused a drop or that the customer was difficult. I'm sure they asked him what was up after many months as most customers would do. If he didn't know how to fix it then walking away is a good option without it being the customers fault.
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743372].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        Originally Posted by DexterGallagher View Post

        I haven't said they are a client have I? I said we have've had an inquiry.
        WE? And you can't figure out staying or going?

        You hang around the wrong people.

        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        Follow these steps...

        Do a site:domain.com search, either their pages are indexed or they're not.

        If their pages are still indexed move on...
        I guess "we" could not figure that out. So "we"come to the WF.

        SEO Work by WF.....does anybody ever get any cash for this?

        The way it works in the real world, is that one company contacts another....a colleague, a network, a friend,...

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727098].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DexterGallagher
          Paul,

          So rather than answer the question with something constructive, you'd rather be pedantic, some people...LOL!

          We are fairly new to this and have only made $232,791 in invoice value since we started this venture in Jan 2016. With a core of 15 customers, but we never have experienced such an issue as this customer. Hence the guestion to the alledged gurus, that seems to attract people like you.

          The REAL gurus's have provided options and recommendations due to their experience, not like you whos only been critical.

          Real World Paul...REALLY!
          --

          As for the POTENTIAL client, we have declined their request to quote, because they unrealistic expectations - want to be ranked in 3 months back on first page - no one can guarantee that after a penalty.

          Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

          WE? And you can't figure out staying or going?

          You hang around the wrong people.



          I guess "we" could not figure that out. So "we"come to the WF.

          SEO Work by WF.....does anybody ever get any cash for this?

          The way it works in the real world, is that one company contacts another....a colleague, a network, a friend,...

          Paul
          Signature

          We offer mobile optimized websites at http://mobilewebsitecreationltd.co.uk/

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
    Originally Posted by DexterGallagher View Post

    We've had an inquiry from a local business who's SEO guy has walked away from their website, as he cannot do anything to improve the rankings.

    Looking at the site, it does appear to have been hit with a penalty - low quality spammy links.
    The problem is there is no way for anyone here to know if a site is penalized unless they see it and can check it out.

    However please ignore the advice above. Redirecting the old domain may work at first but it it was dinged by a penalty for spammy links the penalty will return. That's the whole point of a redirect!!

    Second its generally easier for YOU to start out fresh but it generally no good for a business if they have built a business around that domain and branding. A lot of newbie SEOs not used to dealing with REAL businesses love to suggest starting over (which is easy for junky affiliate and review sites but not for a business). Long term if they have branded the name to their clients (and your posts suggests they have) they need to clean up the links (but I am not even convinced they were penalized), try disavow (doesn't always work) and add strong non-spammy links to counteract bad links (provided its not a real penalty).
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10726976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Follow these steps...

    Do a site:domain.com search, either their pages are indexed or they're not.

    If their pages are still indexed move on...

    Make up a bogus but relevant keyword that has no competition, try and rank a page on the old domain for that zero comp. keyword. If the page ranks (it should) then move on to a real but still weak keyword, If that 2nd weak keyword ranks (it should) then move on to a 3rd keyword with real mid level competition. If these 3 keywords rank then there's obviously no problem, just typical SEO/competition.

    The 3 weak keyword test removes competition from the equation so you're not confusing SERP competition with a Google slap.

    Next... start ranking for real competition keywords.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Dexter,

    I agree with Mike that redirecting to a new domain is likely to see the penalty, if there is one, follow you to the new domain.

    Along with what Yukon suggested, I would encourage them to setup Google Search Console. If there is a manual penalty, they will get a notification message in there, even if they were not using Search Console before. It might take 3-4 days, but it will show up.

    For identifying an algorithmic penalty, it is mostly educated guesswork.

    And I have to ask, what makes you think they might be penalized?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727208].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DexterGallagher
      Their old seo guy told them, when he confirmed he could not increase the site in the serps, due to a penalty...AFTER buying links from fiverr!

      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      Dexter,

      I agree with Mike that redirecting to a new domain is likely to see the penalty, if there is one, follow you to the new domain.

      Along with what Yukon suggested, I would encourage them to setup Google Search Console. If there is a manual penalty, they will get a notification message in there, even if they were not using Search Console before. It might take 3-4 days, but it will show up.

      For identifying an algorithmic penalty, it is mostly educated guesswork.

      And I have to ask, what makes you think they might be penalized?
      Signature

      We offer mobile optimized websites at http://mobilewebsitecreationltd.co.uk/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Fiverr gig sellers aren't SEOs.

    You can't expect to pay $5 to some 3rd world hack and they'll fix all your problems, even the problems they create.

    I guess OPs client experienced the it's only $5 dream.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728839].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DexterGallagher
      Absolutely! Anyone using fiver gigs for seo is insane. We have discussed our charges and we have proposed $799 per month IF we take the job and they have agreed.

      The original SEO guy never got the site past the 3rd page in 6 years, so it was not a hit em run type of guy. When the client put pressure on them why the site had not increased in the past 6 motnhs, he just said he did not know what to do...so he left.

      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Fiverr gig sellers aren't SEOs.

      You can't expect to pay $5 to some 3rd world hack and they'll fix all your problems, even the problems they create.

      I guess OPs client experienced the it's only $5 dream.
      Signature

      We offer mobile optimized websites at http://mobilewebsitecreationltd.co.uk/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10729686].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by DexterGallagher View Post

        Absolutely! Anyone using fiver gigs for seo is insane. We have discussed our charges and we have proposed $799 per month IF we take the job and they have agreed.

        The original SEO guy never got the site past the 3rd page in 6 years, so it was not a hit em run type of guy. When the client put pressure on them why the site had not increased in the past 6 motnhs, he just said he did not know what to do...so he left.


        Wow, 6 years of milking.

        I'd have to say the client is at fault more than the fiverr guy on this one since they let it last 6 years, assuming the keyword is inline with the SEO budget. I mean nobody is ranking for keywords like buy auto insurance for $400 a month or even $800 a month.

        What type of keyword/niche is the client targeting and is there a lot of strong competition on the SERPs?
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10729901].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DexterGallagher
          Yukon - it is a local niche (keyword they arget is city niche) and to help the Poenteial client we uploaded a video to yt for the same kw they are targeting and got it in top 3 in under 3 hours.

          When the client saw this, this woke them up! We have told the client, IF we take the project it will be a long process, betting the original site back up, since then we have heard nothing. So a colleague is thinking to create a lead gen site, get it ranked then go back to them and offer it to them



          Originally Posted by yukon View Post

          Wow, 6 years of milking.

          I'd have to say the client is at fault more than the fiverr guy on this one since they let it last 6 years, assuming the keyword is inline with the SEO budget. I mean nobody is ranking for keywords like buy auto insurance for $400 a month or even $800 a month.

          What type of keyword/niche is the client targeting and is there a lot of strong competition on the SERPs?
          Signature

          We offer mobile optimized websites at http://mobilewebsitecreationltd.co.uk/

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10731172].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
            Originally Posted by DexterGallagher View Post

            Yukon - it is a local niche (keyword they arget is city niche) and to help the Poenteial client we uploaded a video to yt for the same kw they are targeting and got it in top 3 in under 3 hours.

            When the client saw this, this woke them up! We have told the client, IF we take the project it will be a long process, betting the original site back up, since then we have heard nothing. So a colleague is thinking to create a lead gen site, get it ranked then go back to them and offer it to them
            That's not a bad idea.

            If their site is damaged, you could probably rank a new one faster than recovering their site.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10731236].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by DexterGallagher View Post


        The original SEO guy never got the site past the 3rd page in 6 years, so it was not a hit em run type of guy. When the client put pressure on them why the site had not increased in the past 6 motnhs, he just said he did not know what to do...so he left.

        Yep missed this before but pretty much what I thought might have happened.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dokemion
    Just drop this client. You will not get anything good but stress to this type of client.
    Signature

    Contact me for any SEO Services you need I'm glad to be of your service.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10729129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RennieBottali
    You can build backlinks from high PA & DA sites to increase your site ranking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10729710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nummero
    If your website hacked by third party then you will find these issue. For this you have to remove all these bad redirection or bad links which are generated by third party then only you submit reconsideration request by google.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743335].message }}

Trending Topics