I have been having this blog in the Internet Niche and decided to turn it into a web design service website. I was ranking before for completely different keywords and I needed to rank to web design related keywords in order to get clients.
So this is how I managed to rank for the new keywords within a week.
- I used Keyword Planner to get low competition keywords, I found none since this is a Web design Niche.
- I checked the leading pages on the first page and used the free version of Ahrefs and Semrush to check for keywords and links (Note: I did not build Links) - This is what I discovered, most of these website had footer links (What web designers do -Leave a design by bla bla link on every website they create).
- R-optimized the homepage with the target keywords. I had to use all of them. Mostly placing the H2, H3, H4 with keywords and made sure all the images on the homepage had ALT descriptions with the target keywords.
- Created Internal links to other pages using the keywords. I bought some articles on iWriter for these pages. Optimized these pages and made sure they were having the Htags and linked them back to the homepage... (SILO Structure)
- Created two to three links from the homepage to an external site.. Wikipedia.
- At this level I started seeing some dance on Google, I was now on page 5 for the specified keywords.
- Next I checked Google Pagespeed and started optimizing the site for speed. I was on WordPress and this was easy.. Used W3 Total Cache and Autoptimize. The two did magic. -Trick is to let w3 total do everything apart from Minification which I leave to Autoptimize.
- Speed only did the magic and the keywords were now on page 3 and 2 of the same week.
- Now the magic happened when I added an SSL certificate and switched to HTTPS. After switching, I redirected the non https to https and added the HTTPS version to Google Webmaster tools. Then used the fetch option.
- The rest as they say is history... Next day the keywords were on page one.. Although they keep on dancing going up and down.
- I am now considering backlinks to have them permanent on page one.