15 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Looking for a SEO Tool suggestion. I currently use Ahrefs and SEOProfiler, but both are being blocked by a clients robots.txt file or server. The website hosting platform that they currently have to use will not remove these restrictions.

What are some good suggest alternatives for doing website SEO evaluation and monitoring?
Majestic?
#seo #suggestion #tool
  • Profile picture of the author Derick D
    Serpstat is inexspensive and works well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11035712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Asif Bin Yousuf
    "Semrush" is one of the best SEO Tool.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11035727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gprialde
    Banned
    I would recommend this Directory Submitter that's very effective and on the spot results https://www.captchasolutions.com/submitters/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11035733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author victorwelfred
    It's difficult to change to a different tool, the best tool you are currently using, and add both the Majestic @ @
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11035847].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Toukir Ahmed
    You should Use alexa, Moz
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11036065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by HangTenSEO View Post

    Looking for a SEO Tool suggestion. I currently use Ahrefs and SEOProfiler, but both are being blocked by a clients robots.txt file or server. The website hosting platform that they currently have to use will not remove these restrictions.

    What are some good suggest alternatives for doing website SEO evaluation and monitoring?
    Majestic?

    Why not have the client unblock it?

    Anyhow, I wouldn't go searching for another tool. Your client blocking Ahrefs in robots.txt file doesn't mean that Ahrefs doesn't still find their backlinks. It prevents Ahrefs from crawling THEIR site, not all the other sites linking to them.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11036071].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      Why not have the client unblock it?

      Anyhow, I wouldn't go searching for another tool. Your client blocking Ahrefs in robots.txt file doesn't mean that Ahrefs doesn't still find their backlinks. It prevents Ahrefs from crawling THEIR site, not all the other sites linking to them.


      Technically it doesn't prevent ahrefs from crawling their site.

      Bots don't have to follow anything in a robots.txt, it's only a recommendation, not a requirement. Matter of fact a bot doesn't even have to look at a robots.txt file.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11036102].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        Technically it doesn't prevent ahrefs from crawling their site.

        Bots don't have to follow anything in a robots.txt, it's only a recommendation, not a requirement. Matter of fact a bot doesn't even have to look at a robots.txt file.
        Well, that's true too, but I've seen Ahrefs follow robots.txt. I just don't know if they always do it or not.

        Either way, blocking Ahrefs does not matter. Ahrefs is for analyzing backlinks. Blocking their bot on your site does not in any way prevent them from finding the links pointing at that site, so there is no point in looking for another tool if you are satisfied with Ahrefs.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11036152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stanton
    Originally Posted by HangTenSEO View Post

    Looking for a SEO Tool suggestion. I currently use Ahrefs and SEOProfiler, but both are being blocked by a clients robots.txt file or server. The website hosting platform that they currently have to use will not remove these restrictions.

    What are some good suggest alternatives for doing website SEO evaluation and monitoring?
    Majestic?
    If ahrefs is blocked then majestic will be as well. You can use this Wilson Bloom Digital Marketing: SEO Audit for onsite optimisation and ahrefs and seoprofiler will still monitor and report offsite.

    Why do they block it btw?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11036080].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HangTenSEO
      Their website is part of a larger website provider, so they don't have control over it. Basically it's in the car industry and they are forced to use certain website providers.

      The reason for blocking Ahrefs is because they said it was slowing down their system and supposedly tested it blocked and unblocked.

      Alexa looks interesting, but I couldn't find on their site if the pricing was for a single website or you could track multiple ones. Also their SEO Audit only seems to run monthly or bimonthly.

      I guess I need to contact them. Looks interesting though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11036084].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author goldincome
    Edit the Robot.txt file on your client's server and remove what is causing the access blockage and then continue with Ahrefs and SEOProfiler that you have been using and you will see a good result.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11036097].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HangTenSEO
      The client doesn't have access or rights to modify the robots.txt file. They have to use and rely on a specific website and hosting provider and that provider stated they will not modify it.

      Thus I need to find other options.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11036156].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by HangTenSEO View Post

        Thus I need to find other options.
        Why? What is it that Ahrefs does that you are looking to replace?
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11036212].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author goldincome
        if their website is done with WordPress, then you can get a plugin that will allow you to edit the robot.txt file.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11038262].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Son Phan
    have u tried out MOZ. it is a really good site for SEO, providing many tools
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11037815].message }}

Trending Topics