SEO for a logged in page

by Trix8
11 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi There,

Does it make sense to do SEO for a page that you can only access when you are logged in?

Thanks,
T
#logged #page #seo
  • Profile picture of the author Ashwin Galhotra
    Not really Because this is basic concept of any website which has no content. Unless you can add up a backlink and gain traffic through SEO Logged page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11129011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by Trix8 View Post

    Hi There,

    Does it make sense to do SEO for a page that you can only access when you are logged in?

    Thanks,
    T
    Nope. Search engines cannot log in and see it, so what's the point?
    Signature
    Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
    Delivered to you each week!

    >>> Sign Up Now <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11129058].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      Nope. Search engines cannot log in and see it, so what's the point?
      I think you're wrong.

      SE Bots have no idea or care what your login restriction is all about.

      If your restricted pages have hyperlinks pointing to them, then Bots
      fill follow them... that is at least you restrict access in robots.txt

      Example: this forum
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11129377].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pehlavoon
        Agreed. I had the exact same problem with another website. Had to do everything in my power to block bots.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11129420].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by pehlavoon View Post

          Agreed. I had the exact same problem with another website. Had to do everything in my power to block bots.
          Of course because if its something like wordpress it allows anyone to access the post content and displays it for them. Ever seen your admin panel page indexed? Nope because Wordpress access protects the admin area.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11130009].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by fastreplies View Post


        If your restricted pages have hyperlinks pointing to them, then Bots
        fill follow them... that is at least you restrict access in robots.txt

        Example: this forum
        This forum is not general access protected. You misread the OP

        Does it make sense to do SEO for a page that you can only access when you are logged in?
        In many modern web applications content is stored in a database and served dynamically when called. If the system requires a login to display the data then the server will show nothing (and then usually redirects to an error or login page after access is denied). It doesn't matter fig newtons whether the SE bot knows or doesn't know your login restrictions. the reason why theres nothing to crawl if the content is access protected is because the server of the site will not supply the data stored in the database

        This forum allows posts and threads to be displayed without login. It does NOT allow display of PMs. You can link all day and Tuesday to a particular PM in my private message area and you will not get anything and neither will google

        The answer for the OP is if he wants Google to access the content showing after a login page (I guess without user information) he can create a separate page that is accessible without logging in.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11129999].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        Originally Posted by fastreplies View Post

        I think you're wrong.

        SE Bots have no idea or care what your login restriction is all about.

        If your restricted pages have hyperlinks pointing to them, then Bots
        fill follow them... that is at least you restrict access in robots.txt

        Example: this forum
        Um...yeah. Did you actually read what you wrote?

        Login restrictions slam the door on bots.....the crawler cannot get past the login page....

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11130264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author expmrb
    Its pretty damn useless.
    Signature
    SEO Motionz Forum & Blog- Digital Marketing Forum & Blog,
    Forum Management & Promotion, SEO Tips, Money Making tips etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11129127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pehlavoon
    Zero sense. I would go as far as no indexing those pages.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11129327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by pehlavoon View Post

      Zero sense. I would go as far as no indexing those pages.
      There is no reason to noindex them. Search engines cannot reach to even see the noindex directive.
      Signature
      Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
      Delivered to you each week!

      >>> Sign Up Now <<<
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11129374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamie3000
    No, if Google can't log in then it can't see it. In fact you could even no follow the login link so more juice goes to your other internal pages
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11130297].message }}

Trending Topics