Search Console: Impressions Crazy Up & Positions Crazy Down

6 replies
  • SEO
  • |
He folks,

is there any explanation for that crazy change?

Impressions Crazy Up & Positions Crazy Down

Have you ever seen something like that? What does it mean?

Thanks for your help!

#console #crazy #impressions #positions #search
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author HokuRaj
    Suffering the same problem... Don't know the exact reason
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11312033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEOptimization@1
    Google is dancing these days, cleaning up some spammy links.

    Website without SSL will get affected more in coming days.

    Nothing to worry if you comply with all standards.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11312116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ClaudeMonet
    I have no SSL but will have it soon.

    And I only have like 40 links or so. Not really spammy.

    But I do not understand why I got MUCH more impressions but worse average ranking position.
    Signature
    I need a very skilled web developer for my growing project! Long term cooperation appreciated!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11312341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by SEOptimization@1 View Post

    Google is dancing these days, cleaning up some spammy links.

    Website without SSL will get affected more in coming days.

    Nothing to worry if you comply with all standards.
    That is total BS. Having or not having SSL has nothing to do with it.


    Originally Posted by ClaudeMonet View Post

    I have no SSL but will have it soon.

    And I only have like 40 links or so. Not really spammy.

    But I do not understand why I got MUCH more impressions but worse average ranking position.

    Impressions will be impacted by search volume. No keyword get searched the same number of times per day. A keyword could be searched 300 times one day and 120 times the next day.

    Impressions means your listing showed up to a searcher in the SERP. A site ranked #2 and a site ranked #7 is going to have the same number of impressions. They are both showing up on page one. So a site could lose rankings but maintain, or even increase, impressions.

    Lastly, the rankings are an average. That is an average across all of Google. You might have a high ranking in the United States, but very low rankings or ranking that recently dropped in other major countries. That would bring the average position down, but you might actually see higher impressions still.

    There are just a ton of variables involved.
    Signature
    Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
    Delivered to you each week!

    >>> Sign Up Now <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11312397].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ClaudeMonet
      Thank you for your reply. It's frustrating because I have over 500 great pages in the index, I don't perform bad SEO practices and work since 2014 on the project. Still 100 to 150 visitors a day :-(
      Signature
      I need a very skilled web developer for my growing project! Long term cooperation appreciated!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11312406].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by ClaudeMonet View Post

        Thank you for your reply. It's frustrating because I have over 500 great pages in the index, I don't perform bad SEO practices and work since 2014 on the project. Still 100 to 150 visitors a day :-(
        Well, having 500 pages does not really mean much.

        "I don't perform bad SEO practices..."

        That doesn't necessarily mean you perform good ones either...
        Signature
        Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
        Delivered to you each week!

        >>> Sign Up Now <<<
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11312460].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics