Website Suddenly dropped on probably all keywords

14 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I have a website that was ranking on the first page on many keywords
but 10 days ago (maybe from the 24th or the 23rd of May) rankings started to drop MASSIVELY on probably all keywords
Now this website ranks mostly in the 10th page or the 8th page...which is pretty terrible
I have lost almost 60% of the organic traffic due to this drop
Before this drop I was getting like 2500 visitors daily..Now I barely get 1000

I have checked my backlinks more than once through ahrefs and GSC..they are all good and I see no spam links built and also no manual actions in GSC..and I still rank on some keywords but they are very few
This is really frustrating to me

What could be the cause of this?
#dropped #keywords #suddenly #website
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Rank Watch
    Hi! Sorry to hear that your website has been losing rankings. Try working harder to enhance your site's content, on-page and off-page SEO as well. Many a times, the reason behind a website's loss in rankings is because of a competitor being much more active on their SEO game. So, fret not, and try to analyze your competition a bit deeper. That might help you better. Cheers!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
    It's always content or links. Far more often than not, I see people saying that they have great, non-spammy links and when I look at them, they are all absolute garbage.

    Most of the major algorithm updates this year have been about content, so chances are, it's the content that is causing problems (but I still would not be shocked if your backlink profile isn't nearly as good as you think it is).
    Signature
    StoreCoach.com - FREE TRAINING - Learn How to Build Your Own eCommerce Website
    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox Business News, the NY Times & Flippa
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431164].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chuckholmes
      Originally Posted by dave_hermansen View Post

      It's always content or links. Far more often than not, I see people saying that they have great, non-spammy links and when I look at them, they are all absolute garbage.

      Most of the major algorithm updates this year have been about content, so chances are, it's the content that is causing problems (but I still would not be shocked if your backlink profile isn't nearly as good as you think it is).
      Good content is enough. I've never built links or checked my incoming links, and I have a ton of traffic ton two blogs. As long as the content is high quality, has at least 1,500 words and over delivers it's almost guaranteed to rank high.

      People just have very broad definitions of what great content is. My theory is someone should read your post and say "damn" that was epic. If it's that good, it will rank.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431167].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    I'd look at your site versus all the sites that rank; how does your content look compared to theirs? As quality? As in-depth?

    As for backlinks, do said links come from the top sites in your niche?
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431195].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by chuckholmes View Post

    Good content is enough. I've never built links or checked my incoming links, and I have a ton of traffic ton two blogs. As long as the content is high quality, has at least 1,500 words and over delivers it's almost guaranteed to rank high.

    People just have very broad definitions of what great content is. My theory is someone should read your post and say "damn" that was epic. If it's that good, it will rank.
    That's just flat out BS. Google doesn't give a shit if you write 1,500 words, 1,200 words, or 500 words.

    There is no guarantee your content will rank high just because it is good.

    If you truly never built any links, you either got them through promotion by other means or you are not ranking for anything that is the least bit competitive.

    Content alone is not enough. It's a shame so many people lie through their freaking teeth about it. It totally misleads people and sets false expectations.

    You could write the greatest piece of content the world has ever seen about life insurance. I can tell you right now, without links, it won't rank anywhere in the top 500 in Google.
    Signature
    New Private Mastermind Group Discussing SEO, Local SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and more -
    Open for A Limited Time!

    Request to Join
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spartan14
    Google altgoritm its very strange sometimes it can consider your backlinks spamy links and it can drop you for no resons on ranking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431215].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
    Originally Posted by sunshine1236 View Post

    Before this drop I was getting like 2500 visitors daily..Now I barely get 1000
    WOW, lucky you.
    Some people would kill for study stream of 1000, never mind 100,
    make it 50 visitors per day and hopefully 1 or 2 sells, which brings
    me to my point: stop counting visits and start counting money you're
    putting in your bank.

    Give me 10 visitors and 10 sells per day and I'll stop bitching forever.



    fastreplies
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stefano benco
    there was the mobile first index algorithm change, this has triggered rankin changes. Make sure your mobile speed is doing top , even if your users are desktop mainly, google applies mobile first anyhow. Also itś possible that there is an issue in content / domain authority, but it was trigger with the shook of mobile first index that came in july and august , I would check those things. It really is not a hard equation, itś one of three suspects:

    Or domain authority is less than your competitors for the keywords you are targeting
    Or your content got out dated
    Or your technical SEO failed.

    Check and benchmark this three thoroughly and you will find your way, young padawan.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431236].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarahboyer
    Hi

    The majority of the main algorithm upgrades this season have been around articles, therefore odds are, it is the material that's causing issues (but I still wouldn't be amazed if a backlink profile just is not quite as great as you believe that it's .

    Have a proper work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431272].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Elena Gibert
    Hey,
    Please check that your content should be good or not because sometimes bad content may affect your rankings. Your content should be updated on a regular basis and content should be unique and good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11432431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nitishaugust
    there could be various reasons to that, i think you should you your competition more thoroughly- know there backlink profile too, their content could be latest or more valuable than yours.
    Many factors to keep in consideration- Do a thorough check on On page and off page signals
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11432469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jesse Brownstein
    Originally Posted by sunshine1236 View Post

    I have a website that was ranking on the first page on many keywords
    but 10 days ago (maybe from the 24th or the 23rd of May) rankings started to drop MASSIVELY on probably all keywords
    Now this website ranks mostly in the 10th page or the 8th page...which is pretty terrible
    I have lost almost 60% of the organic traffic due to this drop
    Before this drop I was getting like 2500 visitors daily..Now I barely get 1000

    I have checked my backlinks more than once through ahrefs and GSC..they are all good and I see no spam links built and also no manual actions in GSC..and I still rank on some keywords but they are very few
    This is really frustrating to me

    What could be the cause of this?
    Google just released a "small" algorithm update this past week.

    https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...ate-26437.html

    It tanked my traffic and search analytics performance severely.




    Prior to this, Google released the major "Medic" update that largely affected sites in the YMYL (your money your life) category, and more specifically, sites in the medical, health, fitness, healthy lifestyle space.

    https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...ate-26177.html

    They recently released updates to image search and mobile-first indexing which could all be factors affecting rankings, but this most recent "small" change has proved to negatively affect many sites, including mine, in a not-so-small way.

    It's too early to tell which which type of sites were affected and how. We can only speculate at this point.

    Check back here for algorithm updates as more info becomes available:

    SEO Roung Table
    Moz
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11433111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janvi Arora
    I would suggest you to update your website content as google search liaison Team has confirmed their content related update called "Broad Core". The update is all about the relevancy of the content to the search queries. So create a quality and relevant content keeping in mind the user intent, keep your website architecture easy and clean. Also get rid of irrelevant backlinks, analyze on your competitors link profile and work on it to get useful backlinks.
    Signature

    Want to Future-Proof Your Online Business? Make Your Website SEO Friendly. Click here -> https://www.radon-media.com/services...-optimization/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11433237].message }}
  • It's happened to everyone at some point. You take a snapshot of your current keyword rankings and discover, to your horror and confusion, that you've dropped significantly for at least one query. It isn't the end of the world, of course--in most cases these inexplicable drops are only a few ranks at a time--but it's significant enough to bear an impact on your inbound organic search traffic, and it's frustrating because you can't immediately pinpoint the reason behind the drop.

    Fortunately, the world of search rankings have become much more logical. While the inner workings of Google's search algorithm are still draped in secrecy, the day-to-day fluctuations of rank are usually the result of an explainable change.

    If you've noticed one or more of your keyword rankings have significantly dropped, it's probably the result of one or more of these motivators:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11433487].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics