First official post besides the welcome thread. Thank you for the warm welcome.
I'm going to summarize my observations from my towing service websites and hopefully provide a few suggestions that a professional might be able to monetize and provide this as a service...
"Change your site to HTTPS".
Google likes Https.
You'll be fine.... they like https.
Sure! Maybe after 3-6 months.
1. What they don't explain is that Google treats the Https as a total new URL. In fact, you have to go into search console and add the property.
2. The old http URL will be condemned in Google Fetch and can't be crawled because it's now a 301 redirect.
3. Any ranking you had? Well you can kiss it goodbye. With any luck, you'll bounce back in a couple months.
4. As time goes on, you'll scour the internet hoping to find a few clues on how to get it to bounce back.
5. I noticed a jump once I upgraded the .ht access file. but we both know any link juice isn't passing along at 100% so you'll need to go change a gazillion urls across the entire web.
6. all this chaos happened because you felt it was worthwhile to https and upgrading was the responsible thing for the long term.
Https is great.
Sure Just plan on killing your revenue, ranking and sales while in transition. The entire reindexing process begins from scratch. All because you added Security to your website.
I feel if Google wants this and it's for the greater good, then throw out a better "change of address" system.
The way it's set up now? Your URLs die a ranking death. The https starts as brand new URL and then gets reborn.
I'm hoping someone with professional experience and knowledge will read this and choose to offer a streamlined niche service that is specific to https upgrade.
If you strike gold, remember who gave you the idea and be sure to share the love. I'll accept shares!
Let's make it happen, Warriors!