Good title and description writing tips needed.

by aprilm
14 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Anybody have any good methods or suggestions for writing compelling SERP titles and descriptions?
#description #good #needed #tips #title #writing
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Becks
    Great tips Daniel..

    If it is a product based site I also like to throw in how you can get the cheapest prices anywhere by shopping here! (even if the site isn't actually selling the product) and add that we have the largest selection to choose from! I'll say whatever I have to in order to get them to click through! Shame on me...:p
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1854947].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aprilm
      Originally Posted by Embions View Post

      Great tips Daniel..

      If it is a product based site I also like to throw in how you can get the cheapest prices anywhere by shopping here! (even if the site isn't actually selling the product) and add that we have the largest selection to choose from! I'll say whatever I have to in order to get them to click through! Shame on me...:p
      LOL! Gotta do whatever it takes right? Thanks Embions, you are always a huge help!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1855117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aprilm
    Originally Posted by Daniel McGonagle View Post

    Put Keywords close to beginning and after that add anything that compels readers to pick your SERP-ed url over another, which will get more clicks and end up ranking better due to that

    Ask a question ( is XYX really all that?)
    Cause fear (is xyz a scam?)
    Position yourself as the authority (XYZ- unbiased honest review)
    Make it seem like your the only truth teller out there ( XYZ review , the truth about XYZ, or XYZ review, from a real buyer/member etc...))
    Thank you so much. I am writing my site's description now off of the above 3 questions. Do you have any advice on coming up with a good title? Or should the above also be applied to the title?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1855108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
    Originally Posted by aprilm View Post

    Anybody have any good methods or suggestions for writing compelling SERP titles and descriptions?

    a) keyword research using tools like market samurai

    b) provide a solution to a problem
    (aka "ten tips to [insert whatever problem here]")

    combine a) and b)
    Signature
    *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
    -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
    *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
    Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1855111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lucid
    Use the same methods and principles as you would writing PPC ads. Your title and description IS your ad for natural results. I talk about those methods and principles in my book. In fact, test with PPC ads. This way, you'll have real, hard data on what works or doesn't.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1855208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zoobie
    April. It depends on what type of offers you are having
    but I would say for example "Cheap Domain Name Registration - Just $0.01 Each!"
    for example the "cheap domain name" is the focused keyword
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1855284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasonmorgan
    you want something that grabs the google searchers attention... short, snappy and to the point... preferable something that says exactly what they are searching for or what they are secretly thinking.

    Weight Loss | How To Lose 10 Pounds By Summer
    Lose weight and look great this summer with these easy to follow exercise and diet tips.

    Six Pack Abs | 10 Easy Steps To Get Ripped
    Shread the fat and get a six pack! 10 easy diet and exercise tips to get your body ripped!

    Top 10 Places To Meet Women
    Insiders report of the top 10 places to meet women and how to get them back to your place!

    Wanna learn from the best... go to the grocery store and look at the covers of all of the magazines like cosmo and men's health. Those guys aren't payed the big bucks to write crappy sales text.

    Notice in my examples I threw in 'easy' and 'quick' , people are lazy and want the quick and easy solutions. Also, men don't want to meet women, they want to have sex with women so my description fulfills that desire. They may not be searching for 'how to get laid' but it's what they are thinking.
    Signature

    I'm all about that bass.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1855908].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aprilm
      Ok....I think I am getting the general gist...short, to the point, and give the user what he/she is wanting. This is what I came up with...feel free to completely rip it apart...

      My main keyword is 'legitimate XYZ Sites' ...I am promoting a specific website...(obviously it's not 'XYZ'...but you get the point)


      Legitimate XYZ Sites - Best FREE XYZ Site Revealed (Title)

      (Description) Do legitimate XYZ sites actually exist? The shocking truth behind 'so called' free XYZ sites. What you need to know to protect yourself from being scammed.

      this is actually a CPA offer I will be promoting, and it is free for the visitor to sign up, that's why I didn't mention anything about cost. (well I mentioned 'free')

      Let the shredding begin..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1857039].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aprilm
      Originally Posted by jasonmorgan View Post

      you want something that grabs the google searchers attention... short, snappy and to the point... preferable something that says exactly what they are searching for or what they are secretly thinking.

      Weight Loss | How To Lose 10 Pounds By Summer
      Lose weight and look great this summer with these easy to follow exercise and diet tips.

      Six Pack Abs | 10 Easy Steps To Get Ripped
      Shread the fat and get a six pack! 10 easy diet and exercise tips to get your body ripped!

      Top 10 Places To Meet Women
      Insiders report of the top 10 places to meet women and how to get them back to your place!

      Wanna learn from the best... go to the grocery store and look at the covers of all of the magazines like cosmo and men's health. Those guys aren't payed the big bucks to write crappy sales text.

      Notice in my examples I threw in 'easy' and 'quick' , people are lazy and want the quick and easy solutions. Also, men don't want to meet women, they want to have sex with women so my description fulfills that desire. They may not be searching for 'how to get laid' but it's what they are thinking.
      Thanks to everyone that has replied so far! I think having a good title and description is just as important as having good copy within your site. If you are banking on most of your traffic being from organic searches, a good title and description is the only thing standing between your visitor and your content.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1858425].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hotftuna
    Here are my rules:

    1) Keep title to 8 or 9 words max. & keep description to 25 words max.
    2) Do not repeat any word more than twice in title & three times in desc.
    3) Use as few "stop words" as possible. Stop words are non-keywords.
    4) Make sure title & desc. read well for humans.
    Signature
    HeDir.com ranks #1 for "human edited web directory"


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1857131].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aprilm
      Originally Posted by hotftuna View Post

      Here are my rules:

      1) Keep title to 8 or 9 words max. & keep description to 25 words max.
      2) Do not repeat any word more than twice in title & three times in desc.
      3) Use as few "stop words" as possible. Stop words are non-keywords.
      4) Make sure title & desc. read well for humans.
      Thank you! That is very helpful
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1858412].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hotftuna
    More...

    Start with a list of keyword phrases in order of importance.

    In both the title & desc., you want the most important phrases closer to the front.

    If you want to use keyword tags, just list your top five phrases making sure that yiu do not repeat any word more than three times.
    Signature
    HeDir.com ranks #1 for "human edited web directory"


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1857176].message }}

Trending Topics