Dmoz Directory Submissions

7 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hey Warriors,

I've been trying to submit my website to the DMOZ directory but even a year later I still am not in their directory.

Also, a guy from an internet marketing company came to our business yesterday and he said that he ussually registers a business-website in MULTIPLE categories.

They charge a huge sum and don't seem very legitimate, but I'm still wondering if this is true.

What can I do to get my website submitted (even to multiple categories)?

Thanks in advance,
Collatio
#directory #dmoz #submissions
  • Profile picture of the author hotftuna
    You can submit to multiple cats, but there is no way to get listed unless an editor wants to list your site.

    Google now realizes that even good, useful web sites may not be able to get a dmoz listing and they have reduced the "vote" power of those listings.
    Signature
    HeDir.com ranks #1 for "human edited web directory"


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2120652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shaktimaan
    If you want to be listed for seo then you are just wasting your time.
    Signature

    Shaktimaan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2120983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author licketysplit
    Submissions to DMOZ go straight into a trash bin where they will never even be looked at. Don't waste your money.

    If you want your site to be listed in an authority directory, just go ahead and bite the bullet and pay the submission fee to Yahoo's directory and Best of the Web. At least they actually have a review process. You aren't getting into DMOZ unless an editor finds your site on their own and likes it enough to add it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2121312].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
      Originally Posted by Collatio View Post

      Hey Warriors,

      I've been trying to submit my website to the DMOZ directory but even a year later I still am not in their directory.

      Also, a guy from an internet marketing company came to our business yesterday and he said that he ussually registers a business-website in MULTIPLE categories.

      They charge a huge sum and don't seem very legitimate, but I'm still wondering if this is true.

      What can I do to get my website submitted (even to multiple categories)?

      Thanks in advance,
      Collatio
      I'm sure you know that Google now owns DMOZ and knowing G, they are tinkering with DMOZ and will soon release an updated, most likely paid version.

      Having said that, prior to the take over, the editors developed an IMMENSE hatred for sites with Adsense, Affiliate Programs, Squeeze Pages and the like. If your site has or is comprised of any of the above; you can essentially forget about.

      P.S. Don't pay those dudes; the only way they can guarantee an insertion is if they are DMOZ editors. Keep your money, it will be better served elsewhere!

      Originally Posted by hotftuna View Post

      You can submit to multiple cats, but there is no way to get listed unless an editor wants to list your site.

      Google now realizes that even good, useful web sites may not be able to get a dmoz listing and they have reduced the "vote" power of those listings.
      His only other option would be to see about becoming and editor...

      Originally Posted by shaktimaan View Post

      If you want to be listed for seo then you are just wasting your time.
      Pretty much.

      Originally Posted by licketysplit View Post

      Submissions to DMOZ go straight into a trash bin where they will never even be looked at. Don't waste your money.

      If you want your site to be listed in an authority directory, just go ahead and bite the bullet and pay the submission fee to Yahoo's directory and Best of the Web. At least they actually have a review process. You aren't getting into DMOZ unless an editor finds your site on their own and likes it enough to add it.
      Actually, there are a number of great web directories out there, check them out and don't get stuck on DMOZ. If the site in question warrants it and you can afford the Yahoo insertion fee of $300.00 bucks, I'd say go for it.
      Signature
      Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

      ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2123186].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author camm
        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        Having said that, prior to the take over, the editors developed an IMMENSE hatred for sites with Adsense, Affiliate Programs, Squeeze Pages and the like. If your site has or is comprised of any of the above; you can essentially forget about.
        I had a site with a couple of banners get listed several years ago and think it probably just slipped through the cracks. I think a lot of the editors had an immense hatred for any site that was not theirs or that they did not receive any benefit from. I also heard rumors that a lot of the editors would only list if they were paid, but of course I can not verify this.
        Signature
        Second Chance Checking - Free directory of second chance checking accounts
        Get news, info and current money saving deals on shared hosting - sharedhostingblog.com


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2123272].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abelacts
    I have got a content site listed on DMOZ for free but I think I waited for about two years to get listed. But I am not sure the impact of this listing on my SEO ranking.

    Listing in multiple directories in a big no-no and this will piss the editors off. And this is also clearly stated in the submission guideline. Be careful who you listen to.

    I agree that it is not worth it to pay a huge sum just for your site to get listed on DMOZ. There are many ways you can do to rank high which you can find in WSO section.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2123228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Negotiator74
    I submitted my high quality PR4 website 2 1/2 years ago and have never got in.

    I do question the "power" of the DMOZ listing. Market Samurai lists it as a factor but I am ranking higher than my competitors in my niche who are listed in DMOZ so who knows.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2123302].message }}

Trending Topics