Pagerank 4 to 0! Help getting it back

30 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi I have my site which has been a PR4 for about 3months. However last week it went to a PR0.

I do not know why this is? They have not indexed me, just dropped me from position 1 in google to about 15.

I have a link on a site on a site wide basis creating a few thousand backlinks.
I have a link on a homepage of a PR8 site.

Does anyone have a kind of action plan which I could follow in order to try to get it back?

many thanks in advance
#back #pagerank
  • Profile picture of the author StupidCupid
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283230].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usearchme2
    What is ur site webber ? its difficult to say whats gone wrong without looking at your site !

    Woc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webber1
    Hey thanks I have just double checked it today and between last week it has went back to PR4 but I did not do anything at all-bizarre. When I click on the "4" it comes up Pagerank 1:1:0. What does this mean? So is it really PR4 again?

    It still remains position 15 or so. usearcheme2 its www.myfacilitiesmanagementjobs.co.uk thanks for any advice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283284].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Intrepreneur
      It's PR 0 on my end and I see you've got over 11k backlinks. What do you think that will look like to your competitors? That you were spamming for links. Think about it dude if you do what looks like spam you get penalized for it. Think before you act next time.
      Signature

      Owner bestfivereviewed.com

      Started this stuff 2009. Time is what will teach you the skills you need.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283381].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom Goodwin
        Originally Posted by Intrepreneur View Post

        It's PR 0 on my end and I see you've got over 11k backlinks. What do you think that will look like to your competitors? That you were spamming for links. Think about it dude if you do what looks like spam you get penalized for it. Think before you act next time.
        To the OP, I would caution you against following this poster's advice as it just doesn't hold water

        In any event, if Google penalized a site for incoming links, you could just blast your competitor's sites and you would be #1, voila! Sure, google can decide to discount certain links, but to say that one get's penalized for it is hogwash.

        Note that there are lots of reasons a site might (hopefully temporarily) get knocked to a PR0. I've seen this with sites that have been offline for even a very short time before. During the next PR update though they always bounced back up.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2285928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webber1
    There are probably about 4-5k from site wide links, about 3k manually submitted blog comments, about 200 profile backlinks, and the rest are generated from my content being submitted to job search engines which link to my site. So I would not call it spam as such.

    Anyone any ideas for getting it my PR4 back? I.e. removing site wide links on 2 sites, resubmitting to google? or is resubmission only valid if your site is blocked completely?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283450].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Intrepreneur
      Originally Posted by webber1 View Post

      There are probably about 4-5k from site wide links, about 3k manually submitted blog comments, about 200 profile backlinks.
      And that's not spam?

      If it's not I don't know what is!
      Signature

      Owner bestfivereviewed.com

      Started this stuff 2009. Time is what will teach you the skills you need.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283595].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author woodymcgrath
    Is your site hacked by a malicious code that you're unaware of?

    I had a PR3 drop to PR0 until I discovered someone injected a javascript at the bottom of my page and google flagged it as a malicious site
    Signature
    Make an easy *$45* commission per sale... Promote a $67 product with 22% conversions!

    BIG $$$ with TedsWoodworking.com - *16,000* Woodworking Plans - Click For Affiliate Tools

    Other products: Ideas4Landscaping Landscaping Ideas - Landscaping Design
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283490].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webber1
    Thanks woody, checked that...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webber1
    lol its an argument though that all links are spam! so where is the line? going of topic...any suggestions?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283633].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JoshBrown
    You were penalized. Buy some more links in a less aggressive nature (say, 20 quality links per week), and you will be fine on the next update. You still have your pages indexed by Google, and have a 0 PR (not a grey bar, which I received for cloaking).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283647].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webber1
      Originally Posted by JoshBrown View Post

      You were penalized. Buy some more links in a less aggressive nature (say, 20 quality links per week), and you will be fine on the next update. You still have your pages indexed by Google, and have a 0 PR (not a grey bar, which I received for cloaking).
      Do you think I should get those site wide links removed? then ask for reconsideration?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283674].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Intrepreneur
        Originally Posted by webber1 View Post

        Do you think I should get those site wide links removed? then ask for reconsideration?
        That won't change anything. If you've been penalized for your actions it is only removed at Google's discretion. Reconsideration requests are really only for hacked sites. What you gotta do is lay off all that linking you've done and just keep the site flowing in good nature.

        Eventually you'll get reconsidered by the web spam team. Just chill is your new motto and add more useful content to the site. Things like how to write a good CV and other useful info like bureaus people can go to for advice etc.
        Signature

        Owner bestfivereviewed.com

        Started this stuff 2009. Time is what will teach you the skills you need.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283795].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author webber1
          Originally Posted by Intrepreneur View Post

          That won't change anything. If you've been penalized for your actions it is only removed at Google's discretion. Reconsideration requests are really only for hacked sites. What you gotta do is lay off all that linking you've done and just keep the site flowing in good nature.

          Eventually you'll get reconsidered by the web spam team. Just chill is your new motto and add more useful content to the site. Things like how to write a good CV and other useful info like bureaus people can go to for advice etc.
          Cheers for the advice. Do you think I shouldnt do any blog commenting backlinking then?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FrankBowman
    Forget about your PR, worry about your SERPs. Are you ranking for your keywords or have you dropped down in the search results.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bioss
    mybe you build most faster the backlinks do chack links at majestic
    Good Luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Domenic Carlson
    I thought Page Ranks were reset if new content was added to the page. As in, the crawler sees new content, and resets the rank, then the rank is restored after a given time when it is seen that the page is still just as relevant with the new content. Am I way off here?
    Signature

    Always interested in news about Bing, SEO, SEM Internet Marketing and Search Engine Optimization.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2283878].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ~kev~
    How old is the site? Its normal for google to drop all of your links for new sites - especially after a - page rank update.

    One site that I have, it was about 8 or 10 months old, page rank 3, had a couple of dozen links showing up in the link:sitename command.

    Overnight all of the links were gone.

    A couple of months later - after the next page rank update - all of the links came back.

    I have another site that is 4+ years old, page rank 5, and backlinks disappear for it all of the time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2284805].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webber1
      Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post

      How old is the site? Its normal for google to drop all of your links for new sites - especially after a - page rank update.

      One site that I have, it was about 8 or 10 months old, page rank 3, had a couple of dozen links showing up in the link:sitename command.

      Overnight all of the links were gone.

      A couple of months later - after the next page rank update - all of the links came back.

      I have another site that is 4+ years old, page rank 5, and backlinks disappear for it all of the time.
      Site is exactly 6 months old. Google a strange thing. on one hand I wish it didnt exist but on the other...where would we be without it...i suppose its a blessing in disguise as everyone uses it and as long as we can do the SEO to get it to the top we will make our sales...just wish they would stop google slapping people after they do such hard work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2285096].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author FranksToys
        There was a wide spread "negative" pagerank update that has occurred in the past few days. I've only seen a pagerank update that brought websites to zero, none that dropped by one or any that were raised.

        I personally lost a PR 4 site as well, and I know of several others that lost PR 3, PR4's, etc...
        Signature
        "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this - that it connected, in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity."
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2285874].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom Goodwin
      Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post


      One site that I have, it was about 8 or 10 months old, page rank 3, had a couple of dozen links showing up in the link:sitename command.

      Overnight all of the links were gone.

      A couple of months later - after the next page rank update - all of the links came back.

      I have another site that is 4+ years old, page rank 5, and backlinks disappear for it all of the time.
      Wow, people actually use the "link:" command? It is about as worthless as a Corvette with 50 horsepower.

      The link command gives only a small handful of links usually. In my experience, this is typically somewhere around 1-2% of the links you might see if the site in Spyglass. Why on earth would google give you a truthful answer as to how many backlinks it had for a site?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2285944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Groovystar
    I heard the average age of a web page is 75 days. So of course you get them disappearing all the time.

    200 profile links? That might seem a little unnatural to google, just tossing out ideas here. That's a lot of people out there theoretically linking to your site in their profile proportionate to its visibility.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2285017].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author websun
    only penalize can get such kind of result. i have got penalize for keyword staffing for last time and dropped 2nd to 30th!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2285085].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    I have quite a lot of experience with this and I am almost sure that it is a glitch at Google. In fact, I have just had two PR5 sites come back that dropped to 0 3 weeks ago. I would suggest you just wait and see. I cannot see any reason why your site should be penalized and the PR will probably come back very soon.

    http://digpagerank.com/

    your site is still showing up PR4 at a few datacenters using the above tool

    Derek
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2286504].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Smith22
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2286849].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lucasstarks
        Originally Posted by Domenic Carlson View Post

        I thought Page Ranks were reset if new content was added to the page. As in, the crawler sees new content, and resets the rank, then the rank is restored after a given time when it is seen that the page is still just as relevant with the new content. Am I way off here?
        No. PageRank differs from page to page of a website or blog.
        For example, your website's main page is PR3, your website's blog is PR2 and so on. A lot of people boost their site's main page PR because it is the first one to be seen.

        Google updates every webpage's PR and other stats every now and then so that people know what websites are being frequently updated or not.

        Originally Posted by webber1 View Post

        Cheers for the advice. Do you think I shouldnt do any blog commenting backlinking then?
        Well just make it quality commenting. Not just commenting something like "nice post" or "thanks". Share your opinions, ideas and other suggestions providing that you are still in the same topic as the blog post you are commenting on.

        Originally Posted by Groovystar View Post

        I heard the average age of a web page is 75 days. So of course you get them disappearing all the time.

        200 profile links? That might seem a little unnatural to google, just tossing out ideas here. That's a lot of people out there theoretically linking to your site in their profile proportionate to its visibility.
        That is quite a lot of profile links. Did you made all this in one day?

        Originally Posted by Smith22 View Post

        As per my knowledge, Your backlinks were not maintain quality, there is a one reason behind your site page rank gone 4 to 0!
        Agreed. Quality before Quantity!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2286915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webber1
    Thanks guys for all the quality comments I think il take all in mind.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2287463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rahulr
    Sometimes its a toolbar error.
    Signature
    {$5 ONLY}750 word article written on your keyword.
    GET IT NOW -http://goo.gl/gXH4m
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2352992].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author samualdany
      Page rank score has pretty much nothing to do with the whole indexing process. Not keeping up with decent rank sites might be the reason.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2573810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jordan Kovats
    Did you ever buy a link, or trade a link? That is bad news if you did.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2574682].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoindiaforu
    May be you have gone wrong with your seo strategy.But do not worry...resolve all the black hat techniques and you would gain the rankings.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2576117].message }}

Trending Topics