Xfactor sites deindex

46 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi,
Many of site recently deindex,i use xfactor design on all of my sites. Making around $80+ per day.. Now $15 per day.

I come to know about this post
How Not to Make Money Online | How to Make Money Online with SEO

this person mention many good points.. There one major mistake i did, i use same xfactor design on all sites.
Then i also notice a non wordpress site also deindex, i use that design on few of my other sites as well. those all also deindex. so i think google don't like same design anymore.

I have few question.

Can i have 200 sites on one adsense account?
Can i have 200 sites on one google analytics account?
Can i have 200 sites on one hosting account?

If no, then how many sites do you think should be on one account.

I believe google follow footprint and deindex site.

One of my site deindex,it have many many unique content pages and making very good money every day (non wordpress site). but that site design i use on few of my sites. Same design is one big reason.

Give me your thoughts. Its really big issue now a days.

Thanks.
#deindex #sites #xfactor
  • Profile picture of the author TristanPerry
    Yep, that blog post is fairly well known now.

    Anywhoo, the 'xFactor method' simply revolves around making good sites with good content.

    If someone makes 100s of websites all with the exact same look, and a small amount of content, naturally this will look suspicious to Google.

    You've got to ask yourself - when building a website (especially with AdSense on it) - "Does this offer good value to visitors?" If not, then chances are the AdSense team aren't going to think it offers good value to their advertisers either. And if they think this (sometimes even for 1 of your sites), you can say goodbye to your AdSense account unfortunately.

    To answer your questions:

    >> Can i have 200 sites on one adsense account?

    Yep. As long as they are good sites, have different designs (making 200 replicas won't go down well) and offer good value to their visitors, then sure. Although if they are spammy, 1 page websites with poor content, you'll lose your account quickly.

    I'd personally prefer to have (say) 3 big sites compared to 200 smaller sites (especially since I think that managing 200 sites would be a nightmare), although it depends on the person. There's no reason why you can't do very well (with no bans/de-indexes) with 200 sites.

    >> Can i have 200 sites on one google analytics account?

    Yep, there's no hard limit as far as I know. But be sure that none of the sites are spammy.

    >> Can i have 200 sites on one hosting account?

    Impossible to answer. Depends on traffic your sites get, CPU/bandwidth/space usage, 'type' of host (extreme overseller, quality host, etc), type of hosting (shared, VPS, cloud, dedicated etc).

    If it's a standard shared host, probably not.
    Signature
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2611137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author miranon
    Originally Posted by idealscripts View Post

    Hi,
    Give me your thoughts. Its really big issue now a days.
    I think you will be save with 50 sites per adsense account, hosting account, google webmaster/analytics account and IP address! Make sure that per adsense account you will earn not more than 70-80$/day, otherwise you will get a manual review.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2611151].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TristanPerry
      Originally Posted by miranon View Post

      I thin you will be save with 50 sites per adsense account, hosting account, google webmaster/analytics account and IP address! Make sure that per adsense account you will earn not more than 70-80$, otherwise you will get a manual review.
      If the sites aren't good enough to pass a manual review, I think it's best for the webmaster to make the sites good enough ASAP otherwise they're just playing with fire.

      Especially if the AdSense team track that the person has multiple AdSense accounts.

      In-short, I'd always suggest to make good sites which can pass a manual review. Otherwise it just takes one spam complaint or something similar..
      Signature
      Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2611155].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Talar
        Originally Posted by TristanPerry View Post

        ...

        In-short, I'd always suggest to make good sites which can pass a manual review. Otherwise it just takes one spam complaint or something similar..
        Amen to that. Frankly I wish there was a way to force a Google review _before_ making a site live. If you are putting up spammy stuff that you feel, inside, will not pass a review by Google, then you are knowingly cheating the AdSense advertisers who get displayed (remember, Google doesn't pay for AdSense clicks, ordinary people like you and me buy AdWords ads and then Google charges per click and share part of the revenue with the AdSense publisher.)

        Doesn't matter if your business is based on Google, or off line mowing lawns or something, if your business is based on a lie or deception, how long can you expect it to stay afloat?

        Personally, my name is on all my sites if I have AdSense on them, wouldn't dream of trying to hide from Google, they've been paying me since 2005 ... why hide?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2613648].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author inter123
          I have been runing across XFactor type sites and some of them in terms of content are really good. The standard of langugage and the information is first class, its certainy much better then Amazon ecommerce authority type of sites.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2613915].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kakashi
            Originally Posted by inter123 View Post

            I have been runing across XFactor type sites and some of them in terms of content are really good. The standard of langugage and the information is first class, its certainy much better then Amazon ecommerce authority type of sites.
            same with me ...

            I'm running xfactor site.
            page 1 in google ,rank# 8,
            but got 3 visitor per day!
            monthly search is around 20k.

            I dont know what goes wrong here:confused:
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2614354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
    Firstly, check this thread out - http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...e-indexed.html

    99% of time people say they are de-indexed, they are not really de-indexed. They are usually trying to check by searching for the domain in google or something which doesn't indicate in a site is de-indexed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2611313].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    Originally Posted by idealscripts View Post


    I have few question.

    Can i have 200 sites on one adsense account?
    Can i have 200 sites on one google analytics account?
    Can i have 200 sites on one hosting account?
    Given your history, I somehow suspect that you won't be able to clean up all the sites in time to pass a manual review. Therefore, I would suggest that you do not put Adsense on all your sites, especially those earning good affiliate commissions.

    I recommend against using Google analytics, you are simply giving them an easy way of identifying all your sites.

    I strongly recommend that you split your hosting, especially among different Class C clusters. Once a site is reviewed manually and de-index, the Google staff may go on to review all the sites sites on that ip, that is unless there are thousands of sites on it.

    Other steps you can take include protecting / scrambling your WHOIS info.
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2611789].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nexus7
      My understanding about that post from Grizzly is that he was using Blogger to put up hundreds of MFA sites and was telling his followers how to do the exact same thing. He even posted about using ugly themes because they get higher CTR. He made the mistake of telling everyone that this was a get rich quick method, when in reality it's a slow and steady process if you stay white hat and don't break the adsense TOS.

      It's no surprise his sites and many others got de-indexed by using his method. I once thought of doing that because there would be no hosting and domain costs involved, but soon learned that it was the wrong way to do it.

      I am starting to believe that having larger authority sites is the best way to go in the long run, but you can still have a handful of smaller 'set-and-forget' sites that bring in some passive income via adsense. The 100+ sites in a few months method is simply too risky and too much work. There's no guarantee that even half of those sites will rank well in the serps, so if you can make $100+ a day in 2-3 months from adsense alone consider yourself lucky.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2612236].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author idealscripts
    Thanks for thoughts.

    Ok i admit, that one page sites are not good.

    BUT, I have one good medical sites, more then 50 unique pages, earning very good. But that site design, i use on few of my sites. Now that site and other sites(there i use same design) all are deindex.

    what you guys say about it? Using same design is plenty from google? I am sure people using and downloading same wordpress themes again and again, even matt cutts blog design is not unique.

    I hope to get some good answer on it.
    Signature
    Build a Coupon site Must check
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2612821].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TristanPerry
      Originally Posted by idealscripts View Post

      Thanks for thoughts.

      Ok i admit, that one page sites are not good.

      BUT, I have one good medical sites, more then 50 unique pages, earning very good. But that site design, i use on few of my sites. Now that site and other sites(there i use same design) all are deindex.

      what you guys say about it? Using same design is plenty from google? I am sure people using and downloading same wordpress themes again and again, even matt cutts blog design is not unique.

      I hope to get some good answer on it.
      Were they all in the same Google Analytics account? If so, I'd imagine it was this.

      I've heard that Google sometimes might deindex all sites listed in Analytics and/or Webmaster Tools if some of them break their guidelines.
      Signature
      Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2612840].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jacob Martus
        Originally Posted by TristanPerry View Post

        Were they all in the same Google Analytics account? If so, I'd imagine it was this.

        I've heard that Google sometimes might deindex all sites listed in Analytics and/or Webmaster Tools if some of them break their guidelines.
        If they were running Adsense it wouldn't matter if they were in analytics or WMT anyway. Adsense has equally capable tracking features if not more so than analytics or WMT.

        Anyone with adsense on a site might as well run analytics and WMT. The data is irreplaceable and if they are going to de-index you they can definitely track you with your publisher ID.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2612967].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Suka
          I have read through Googles TOS 3 times and there is no mention of "having to many sites" or "having the same template design" not being allowed..

          I am sure that if you offer visitors something good to read on the product, and have a amazon link in there to avoid the MFA label and with all the proper pages you should be good to go..

          If you look at the Xfactor them, theres nothing bad about it, and who is google to tell me i cant use the same theme on all my sites.. Thats got nothing to do with them. we are simply connecting advertisers with potential buyers.. everyone wins if your not taking shortcuts. (treat each site as your baby until it is DONE)

          i wish i could get google to take a look at one of my sites and advise if something is not right so i can fix it (apparently google sends you a warning email telling you to fix your site before they ban and they give you 2 days to do it or something.. So check your mail everyday i guess)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2613178].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jacob Martus
            Originally Posted by Suka View Post

            I have read through Googles TOS 3 times and there is no mention of "having to many sites" or "having the same template design" not being allowed..

            I am sure that if you offer visitors something good to read on the product, and have a amazon link in there to avoid the MFA label and with all the proper pages you should be good to go..

            If you look at the Xfactor them, theres nothing bad about it, and who is google to tell me i cant use the same theme on all my sites.. Thats got nothing to do with them. we are simply connecting advertisers with potential buyers.. everyone wins if your not taking shortcuts. (treat each site as your baby until it is DONE)

            i wish i could get google to take a look at one of my sites and advise if something is not right so i can fix it (apparently google sends you a warning email telling you to fix your site before they ban and they give you 2 days to do it or something.. So check your mail everyday i guess)
            I doubt that it is the Adsense team de-indexing big networks of sites. It is probably Google's quality reviewers which from what I've read will give your site a 30 second glance.

            If your site doesn't meet the quality guidelines, they probably just track down the rest of your sites via your Adsense publisher ID or analytics, etc, and then de-index the lot of them.

            There are documented cases of good quality sites being de-indexed. I doubt it is Adsense doing it, but rather a quality reviewer who finds something wrong with your business model or strategy.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2613590].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
            Originally Posted by Suka View Post

            I have read through Googles TOS 3 times and there is no mention of "having to many sites" or "having the same template design" not being allowed..
            This point is one that many people should consider...
            • Avoid "doorway" pages created just for search engines, or other "cookie cutter" approaches such as affiliate programs with little or no original content.
            Source: Webmaster Guidelines - Webmaster Tools Help

            Another big one...
            • Thin affiliate sites: These sites collect pay-per-click (PPC) revenue by sending visitors to the sites of affiliate programs, while providing little or no value-added content or service to the user. These sites usually have no original content and may be cookie-cutter sites or templates with no unique content.
            Source: Little or no original content - Webmaster Tools Help

            Argue all you want but I come across heaps of these "xfactor" sites every day and it is laughable that people are shocked that they either get penalised or banned for the rot they are creating.

            If your sites are decent you have nothing to worry about but I know that a lot of them are not decent...

            Some people even interlink their entire network of rubbish sites. This is a bad idea whether you are running AdSense or not - it is a sign you are trying to manipulate Google rankings.

            Start making some real websites and you won't have to rely on 200+ sites to make a full time income.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2613615].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
              Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

              Avoid "doorway" pages created just for search engines, or other "cookie cutter" approaches such as affiliate programs with little or no original content.

              Thin affiliate sites: These sites collect pay-per-click (PPC) revenue by sending visitors to the sites of affiliate programs, while providing little or no value-added content or service to the user. These sites usually have no original content and may be cookie-cutter sites or templates with no unique content.
              You mean sites like thefind.com, nextag.com and bizrate.com?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2614378].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
                Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

                You mean sites like thefind.com, nextag.com and bizrate.com?
                It is apparent that some large site seem to get special dispensation from Google to spam. I hope that ongoing investigations into Google's practices will yield something.
                Signature

                Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2614552].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
                Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

                You mean sites like thefind.com, nextag.com and bizrate.com?
                Those sites provide obvious value via a service to the reader.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2616869].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
                  Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

                  Those sites provide obvious value via a service to the reader.
                  They're virtually the same as BANS, WP-Mage, WP-Robot and other affiliate feed scrapper scripts people around here commonly use. The difference is that they've got a custom written script and millions of dollars from venture capital firms which are also on very friendly terms with Google executives. What they actually provide to visitors is no better and no worse than what you so easily put people here down for doing.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2617355].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author TristanPerry
                  Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

                  Those sites provide obvious value via a service to the reader.
                  I think the first 2 do (to some extent), however Bizrate amazes me.

                  They have absolutely zero original/unique content, and then they do loads of keyword stuffing (which breaks Google Webmaster Guidelines). I just picked a page out at random and they have two 'related keywords' blocks which give rise to the following:

                  chuck taylor converse shoes converse high top converse chuck taylor converse all star leather hi converse converse chuck taylor ox ox converse converse chuck taylor all star converse double upper converse all converse white all star converse converse all star canvas converse all star shoes converse taylor all star chuck taylor converse all converse converse low converse all star double converse double tongue converse john varvatos

                  Polo Shoes, Polo Boots, Dress Boots, Adidas Porsche Design Shoes, Cole Haan, Casual Oxford, Dress Shoes, Mens Leather Sandals, Mens Zipper Boots, Running Shoes Closeout, Boat Shoes, Adidas Porsche Mens Shoes, Converse, Nike Shox, Work Boot, Cole Haan Nike Air Mens, Reebok Pumps, Nike Shoes, Retro Sneaker, Nike Cortez, Jordan Shoes, More
                  That's 100% keyword stuffing and technically is grounds for de-indexing.

                  The page I'm looking at as a reference for typing this article has pretty much zero unique content, and then loads of keyword stuffing. It's by definition the worst type of 'thin' affiliate site.

                  Off-topic I know (since this thread is about 'xFactor' style sites), although it's worth pointing out that some big sites (including ones like Bizrate which use AdSense) do use really spammy 'techniques' that would get smaller sites kicked off AdSense and deindexed very quickly.

                  Bizrate provides less value to the user than the average xFactor site (even a poor xFactor site with 1 page of re-written and spun content would technically provide more value to the user than Bizrate)
                  Signature
                  Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2618412].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
            Originally Posted by Suka View Post

            and have a amazon link in there to avoid the MFA label
            Waving around a voodoo charm while working on your site more effective. :rolleyes:
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2614371].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TristanPerry
          Originally Posted by Jacob Martus View Post

          If they were running Adsense it wouldn't matter if they were in analytics or WMT anyway. Adsense has equally capable tracking features if not more so than analytics or WMT.

          Anyone with adsense on a site might as well run analytics and WMT. The data is irreplaceable and if they are going to de-index you they can definitely track you with your publisher ID.
          Yep, you're 100% right. For some reason I'd forgotten the OP used AdSense (thought he was doing affiliate stuff; DOH!)... anywhoo, I agree entirely.

          If all the sites are listed in AdSense, that's probably the way Google knew to deindex them all.
          Signature
          Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2613179].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author idealscripts
    One more question, since my sites deindex, i do some changes on site, and submit
    reconsideration request

    How long it will take ? any one have experience with it OR got reindex site?
    Signature
    Build a Coupon site Must check
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2612836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author idealscripts
    Amen to that. Frankly I wish there was a way to force a Google review _before_ making a site live. If you are putting up spammy stuff that you feel, inside, will not pass a review by Google, then you are knowingly cheating the AdSense advertisers who get displayed (remember, Google doesn't pay for AdSense clicks, ordinary people like you and me buy AdWords ads and then Google charges per click and share part of the revenue with the AdSense publisher.)

    Doesn't matter if your business is based on Google, or off line mowing lawns or something, if your business is based on a lie or deception, how long can you expect it to stay afloat?

    Personally, my name is on all my sites if I have AdSense on them, wouldn't dream of trying to hide from Google, they've been paying me since 2005 ... why hide?

    Totally agree. why hide us from google, why use different analytics , adsense accounts. We should not do it.

    We have to ask our self, is this site is good for visitors, is this site can pass manual review, then site is fine. else one single complain can down your site.

    Final result is: Do site for visitors, do good contents on site not just one or 2 page site. Put products that people looking for .

    Now i am changing my sites . i recommend if anyone not did it, please do it.

    One more question, since my sites deindex, i do some changes on site, and submit
    reconsideration request

    How long it will take ? any one have experience with it OR got reindex site?
    Signature
    Build a Coupon site Must check
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2614334].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Suka
    This "quaility" score that google strives for is a bit hypocritical.

    Last night, i was searching for something, and inorder to watch it i had to fill out CPA lead to watch what i want. almost ALL the sites that have what i want do this which makes it a "bad user experience" There are so many junk sites out there that dont care about "quality content" or "good user experience", They are simply there to make money.
    If i compare my site to the general population of crap sites, atleast people can read about what they are searching for, and if they WANT, they can click and add..

    I offer a WAY better user experience than any of the other "crap" sites out there.. so on that note, i shouldnt stress.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2614709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
    I'm not putting anyone down for making sites like those you just rattled off, or wp-robot and mage style sites.

    The "xfactor" sites are not in the same class as those ones...

    The "xfactor" sites that a lot of people rely on are absolute rubbish. 1 page of content about how they like a product and that's it. Not everyone is doing that but a lot are. That is what Google is referring to as a doorway page in their quality guidelines.

    The sites in the list do add value to the user and if a wp-mage or wp-robot site does more than just display scraped content I am sure they'll be fine.

    Product comparison, alerts, favourites, discounts etc are things online shoppers use and find handy.

    These sites are also easy to overtake in the SERPs as they don't do much deep page SEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2617612].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
      Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

      The "xfactor" sites that a lot of people rely on are absolute rubbish. 1 page of content about how they like a product and that's it.
      As best I can tell, they're essentially not following the "X factor" pattern as it's been laid out in posts here (I haven't purchased the product so I don't know for sure).

      Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

      The sites in the list do add value to the user and if a wp-mage or wp-robot site does more than just display scraped content I am sure they'll be fine.
      Ask anyone who bought and used the BANS script or other feed site generator scripts if their sites are OK. Anyone who's had any experience and numbers with them have had multiple sites deindexed by Google. What's more, these sites usually had comparable or better content to the well heeled scrapper sites I mentioned.

      Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

      These sites are also easy to overtake in the SERPs as they don't do much deep page SEO.
      I suggest you do a little more research on this, particularly taking a look at thefind.com and their deep linking strategy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2617715].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom Goodwin
      Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

      I

      The "xfactor" sites that a lot of people rely on are absolute rubbish. 1 page of content about how they like a product and that's it.
      Just a bit of a clarification, but xfactor himself has explained here at WF he recommends building up the sites with quite a few pages and his sites in fact tend to have large number of pages (I believe >100 for several of them at least).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2617885].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Suka
    Basically what we are all saying is that our "xfactor" sites may be deindexed by some admin who glances over it and deems it MFA. Sowhat do we do to avoid this?

    1.)Obviously follow all webmaster guidelines.
    2.)add a few discriminate affiliate links (maybe even a link to a High PR site just to be safe)
    3.)Build 5 sites over a week or 2, and then stop and add a new page of content once a month or two to all existing sites, then continue building sites and rinse and repeat. (should be earning by then so you can outsource when it gets hectic.) in a year, you might have a few authority sites and can flip! its all about hard work now, and rewards later....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2618375].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
      Originally Posted by Suka View Post

      2.)add a few discriminate affiliate links (maybe even a link to a High PR site just to be safe)
      A common bit of voodoo SEO. MFA doesn't just mean "Made For Adsense" but also "Made For Affiliate". If your site looks like a thin affiliate site it doesn't matter how many types of monetization you use, how many pages the site is, who you link to or whatever other lucky charms you're using for your mojo, you're site(s) will be deindexed in a standard 30 second quality inspection.

      Originally Posted by TristanPerry View Post

      it's worth pointing out that some big sites (including ones like Bizrate which use AdSense) do use really spammy 'techniques' that would get smaller sites kicked off AdSense and deindexed very quickly.
      Exactly my point. I don't see nextag or thefind being much better, virtually none of their content is hand edited and they use keyword stuffing as well, although they both make it a little less blatant than bizrate does.

      Originally Posted by Dellco View Post

      Oh well....There really isn't anything much you can write about for a 4 slice toaster, is there?
      Sure there is.

      Toaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Amazon.com: toaster

      If you can't put together a 50-100 page site with adequate content using those two sources and maybe a couple of others within a day or so then you may want to consider a different online business model.

      Originally Posted by Dellco View Post

      As for Bizrate, they are a premium publisher. Premium publishers can even put Adsense on semi porn sites and get away with it. That's their privilege.
      The point is that Adsense and Search Quality are two different departments in the Google corporation. I suspect they find themselves in conflict from time to time. I'd guess that there are premium publishers like bizrate that Matt Cutts' boys would love to deindex but aren't allowed to simply because those sites bring in so much Adsense revenue or someone higher up in management has money invested there. So, therefore, they take out their frustrations on us little folks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2618755].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peter Lee
        I really don't think the real issue is using the same xfactor design - it's MFA, poor content, not unique content or something else. Most people just don't reveal the real reason. You still can have a small site but with very good contents that provide useful information to searchers and I don't think Google can fault that.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2631001].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Nexus7
          Sites are more likely to get de-indexed for using black hat methods to rank higher or have violated something in the adsense TOS.

          I wouldn't worry too much if you have a lot of so-called MFA sites as long as they provide well written content that is relevant. Google would have no reason to de-index a site based solely on the look of the theme or too little content if it's useful. Matt Cutts stated in a video that a one page site can be just as good as a site with hundreds of pages, so focus on providing good content and Google will reward you.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2631234].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
            Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post

            Google would have no reason to de-index a site based solely on the look of the theme or too little content if it's useful.
            In my experience they do deindex sites on the look of the index page alone. If it looks like a common MFA (meaning 'Made For Affiliate or Adsense in this case) template site during a 30 second long visual inspection, it gets deindexed. If not, it gets a pass. In some cases, such as the ones mentioned at the start of this thread, they deindex based entirely upon an Adsense ID or other common marker without even bothering to visually inspect the sites. In others, such as the popular 4 slice toaster site, they get deindexed just to set an example.

            Bear in mind that most of this deindexing is done manually by a group of people who can be quite arbitrary and inconsistent in their decisions. Their reason may well be that they're pissed off somebody cut them off during their commute to work that morning and they take it out on your perfectly decent content site. You don't know why and probably won't be able to find out why other than some very vague reason.

            I do agree though that site size typically isn't a factor in this.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2631377].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author FreshMedia
              I'm not sure what an Xfactor theme looks like, but here is a pic of one theme that it's surely over exposed. There are so many sites out there with this theme it's almost hard to believe. Most of them have one page of content and add no real value.

              They have adsense above the fold and adsense links on the side bar, right below the categories with no spaces, in order to fool people. The amazon image is also directly below the adsense links with no spaces.

              Seriously, if I were Google I would slap this site to oblivion. But this is the kind of stuff that makes all of us look bad, people looking for shortcuts. It may work for a while until it finally catches up with you and your site gets de-indexed.



              I was expressing my disappointment with sites like these in another post a few months ago, and there were many people ready to defend this business model. Well, this isn't a real business. It's just another way to try and fool the system to make a quick buck. The truth is, that if you see a site like this with only 1 to 3 pages of content, you can blow it out of the water if you can get the .net or .org keyword domain and doing things right.

              The main reason captcha was invented is because spammers flooded the system. The reason Google is taking down sites like this, is because too many people are looking for shortcuts, and trying to trick the system. For every action, there is a reaction.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2632779].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jacob Martus
                Originally Posted by FreshMedia View Post

                I'm not sure what an Xfactor theme looks like, but here is a pic of one theme that it's surely over exposed. There are so many sites out there with this theme it's almost hard to believe. Most of them have one page of content and add no real value.

                They have adsense above the fold and adsense links on the side bar, right below the categories with no spaces, in order to fool people. The amazon image is also directly below the adsense links with no spaces.

                Seriously, if I were Google I would slap this site to oblivion. But this is the kind of stuff that makes all of us look bad, people looking for shortcuts. It may work for a while until it finally catches up with you and your site gets de-indexed.



                I was expressing my disappointment with sites like these in another post a few months ago, and there were many people ready to defend this business model. Well, this isn't a real business. It's just another way to try and fool the system to make a quick buck. The truth is, that if you see a site like this with only 1 to 3 pages of content, you can blow it out of the water if you can get the .net or .org keyword domain and doing things right.

                The main reason captcha was invented is because spammers flooded the system. The reason Google is taking down sites like this, is because too many people are looking for shortcuts, and trying to trick the system. For every action, there is a reaction.
                That would be the "xfactor" theme. But really it was just an example that John used in his ebook that many people took for gospel and decided to build their entire business model on that look.

                I do however feel that a 1 to 3 page site can do a great job of providing a user what it wants. A site doesn't have to be big to provide value and it is definitely a legitimate business.

                Often times, people build these small sites to take advantage of the boost they get from an exact match domain and the low cost of a domain name in the first place.

                It's much easier to get a exact match website ranked than it is to get a broad domain to rank for many many different terms. It's definitely a business and one which when done correctly is both perfectly in lines with Google's webmaster guidelines, and very profitable.

                Providing a side by side comparison of two toasters for example is one way to provide value while writing about a very focused product.

                I do agree with Bgmacaw though that MFA looking sites get de-indexed just on look and feel. Quality reviewers should just be called 'lookers'. They aren't reviewing for quality. They are quickly looking at a website and then making a decision on whether it meets a specific set of criteria. In all but extreme cases, you can't review a website in 30 seconds. Sure there are exceptions to that rule, but in most situations, it would take much longer than 30 seconds to review a website for quality.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2632989].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author FreshMedia
                  Unbelievable, I've never seen the Xfactor theme, but yet through doing my keyword research I come across unlimited amount of sites using it. That goes to show you how over saturated it is. The sites do rank well, and have keyword rich domain names that would make anyone jealous, but too bad most marketers don't take these sites to the next level. Leaving it with one page of content and adsense scattered is surely a red flag for Google.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2633114].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author reapr
                    Originally Posted by FreshMedia View Post

                    Unbelievable, I've never seen the Xfactor theme, but yet through doing my keyword research I come across unlimited amount of sites using it. That goes to show you how over saturated it is. The sites do rank well, and have keyword rich domain names that would make anyone jealous, but too bad most marketers don't take these sites to the next level. Leaving it with one page of content and adsense scattered is surely a red flag for Google.
                    Interesting! Seems to be much like a default wordpress install!
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2658277].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Nexus7
              Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

              In my experience they do deindex sites on the look of the index page alone. If it looks like a common MFA (meaning 'Made For Affiliate or Adsense in this case) template site during a 30 second long visual inspection, it gets deindexed. If not, it gets a pass. In some cases, such as the ones mentioned at the start of this thread, they deindex based entirely upon an Adsense ID or other common marker without even bothering to visually inspect the sites. In others, such as the popular 4 slice toaster site, they get deindexed just to set an example.
              I disagree. I asked you in another thread to point to any evidence of this and you gave no answer other than "in my experience." Again, I'll kindly ask you or anyone else to provide the evidence that Google does this. But, assuming that they base the theme as the sole reason for de-indexing a site, then why aren't other sites that use the same themes getting de-indexed? And I don't just mean the Xfactor theme. What about the popular Thesis or Flexible themes? The list is endless.

              I think the 4 slice toaster site got de-indexed for poorly written content and not because it used the common Xfactor theme. That site doesn't contain any helpful info for visitors other than click on the blue links. Any site that does this, regardless of the theme it uses, is suspect.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2633877].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jacob Martus
                Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post

                I disagree. I asked you in another thread to point to any evidence of this and you gave no answer other than "in my experience." Again, I'll kindly ask you or anyone else to provide the evidence that Google does this. But, assuming that they base the theme as the sole reason for de-indexing a site, then why aren't other sites that use the same themes getting de-indexed? And I don't just mean the Xfactor theme. What about the popular Thesis or Flexible themes? The list is endless.

                I think the 4 slice toaster site got de-indexed for poorly written content and not because it used the common Xfactor theme. That site doesn't contain any helpful info for visitors other than click on the blue links. Any site that does this, regardless of the theme it uses, is suspect.
                He didn't say that they de-index based on a particular theme. He said that they de-index based on the look and feel of a website. If it looks like a common MFA site, it is more likely to get de-indexed.

                There are definitely google quality reviewers out there, that's a fact. And MFA themes are a big stretch from Thesis imo.

                And I'd agree with Bgmacaw that 4 slice toaster got de-indexed as a warning to others not to follow suit. 4 slice toaster got lots of attention and probably persuaded many people into following its lead. So, Google de-indexed it as fair warning.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2634145].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Nexus7
                  Originally Posted by Jacob Martus View Post

                  He didn't say that they de-index based on a particular theme. He said that they de-index based on the look and feel of a website. If it looks like a common MFA site, it is more likely to get de-indexed.
                  He said 'template,' so where's the evidence? If the site looks like MFA, what are they basing it on? The look alone can not be a reason or there would be thousands of sites getting de-indexed. I can point to hundreds of tech blogs that have the 336x280 ad block under the post title and say "yep, that's a MFA site." Those sites have been around for years. Why? Because the provide good content.

                  Originally Posted by Jacob Martus View Post

                  There are definitely google quality reviewers out there, that's a fact. And MFA themes are a big stretch from Thesis imo.
                  Sure, but if you look at Google's Webmaster guidelines there is no mention of what themes or any kind of "look" that is subject for de-indexing a site.

                  Originally Posted by Jacob Martus View Post

                  And I'd agree with Bgmacaw that 4 slice toaster got de-indexed as a warning to others not to follow suit. 4 slice toaster got lots of attention and probably persuaded many people into following its lead. So, Google de-indexed it as fair warning.
                  Again, where is the evidence? Was it the poorly written content or just the so-called "look" of the site that got it de-indexed? Why are there several other 4 slice toaster sites still indexed in Google search results?
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2634203].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
                Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post

                I disagree. I asked you in another thread to point to any evidence of this and you gave no answer other than "in my experience."
                That's all you're getting no matter how much you want to whine about it. You can trust me or not, believe me or not. I don't freakin' care. But you and others here have been warned about this situation. It's your choice as to how you want to respond to it.

                Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post

                But, assuming that they base the theme as the sole reason for de-indexing a site, then why aren't other sites that use the same themes getting de-indexed?
                Basically, the reason is that the site looks like other MFA sites and when the visual inspector has 100's of sites to go through in a day, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck to them. Another inspector might look at a similar site and give it a pass for whatever reason. It's a very arbitrary process it seems although Google has given the inspectors certain guidelines (a number of documents detailing the process have been leaked, you can, ironically, Google for them).

                Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post

                I think the 4 slice toaster site got de-indexed for poorly written content and not because it used the common Xfactor theme.
                It was most likely deindexed because it became well known as an example MFA site and it was deindexed as an example and warning to others. There are 1000's upon 1000's of similar sites that aren't deindexed simply because they aren't being splashed all over this forum, Digital Point and other popular SEO/IM type forums. In other words, it was a STFU penalty.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2634540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
    I know that Xfactor isn't teaching people to make these ordinary sites but people are still believing this is what he meant; there are many threads in this forum about the misunderstanding.

    The single page (+About, Contact, Privacy) MFA sites are everywhere and are nothing like the shopping sites listed. They are spam. The 4 slice toaster site is a joke among many but the sad thing is there are heaps of these sites out there; people are building their business off them (just follow the trail of interlinked sites). Most, but not all, are using the xfactor theme...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2618456].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dellco
      Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

      I know that Xfactor isn't teaching people to make these ordinary sites but people are still believing this is what he meant; there are many threads in this forum about the misunderstanding.

      The single page (+About, Contact, Privacy) MFA sites are everywhere and are nothing like the shopping sites listed. They are spam. The 4 slice toaster site is a joke among many but the sad thing is there are heaps of these sites out there; people are building their business off them (just follow the trail of interlinked sites). Most, but not all, are using the xfactor theme...
      I'd have to agree with you. A lot of them are a joke....I see them now everywhere. Sooner or later this is going to lead to a backlash from either Google or web surfers, since a lot of them look the same + crappy design and crappy content.

      Oh well....There really isn't anything much you can write about for a 4 slice toaster, is there?

      As for Bizrate, they are a premium publisher. Premium publishers can even put Adsense on semi porn sites and get away with it. That's their privilege.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2618667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author debtdue
    I find it hard to believe that a theme will deindex a site....There must have been other issues with the site. Possibly duplicate content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2633941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    I have had hundreds of turnkey PLR sites de-indexed before. However the de-indexing stopped once I changed the template but re-used the same content. So that the new sites were basically the same sites using another template.

    I believe that the de-indexing was done automatically rather than through a manual review. I believe that there is a team at Google who had identified common characteristics of certain turnkey sites in order to identify and de-index them.

    Please note that I am talking about turnkey sites here. These are 100% duplicate sites with thousands of copies around. I am not talking about sites with poorly written or re-written PLR content which seems to apply to many X-factor sites.

    But there must be a possibility that Google may decide to take action against sites with a particular template where the vast majority of sites are of low quality.
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2634610].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Suka
    Shortcuts are never are good idea. I dont think John should have promoted the "set and forget" mentality. (build 20 sites and submit articles and youll make cash)

    Thats why so many of these have poped up..

    All i know is, im concentrating on 5 sites at a time untill they are 100% "legit" and then rinsing and repeating, rather than build 8 sites a month and forgetting about them..

    Oh, and i am NEVER using Xfactors theme ever again!

    Using Micro niche finder, I see this template all the time!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2658501].message }}

Trending Topics