by twersk
54 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I wanted to try AdSense. It is one of the areas of internet marketing that I don't know anything about.

So I bought a course and tried it. I created an MFA site, in the way the course suggested, and then back linked it to a few sites of 3 or better page rank. I even did a couple of anchored back links using my site's main keyword.

The site has not been found after three plus weeks and I went on to Google's webmaster forum and a few of their "Top Contributors" said that creating sites strictly for AdSense was useless. Does anybody concur?

(I am not sure if I am allowed to show the site here, but the course had me word the copy so that I reaffirmed the keyword a lot. It also has a .me extension because I chose a domain name based on a keyword that had significant monthly searches so it could be part of the url.)
#adsense #useless
  • Profile picture of the author TristanPerry
    The question in your title is different to the one in your post.

    To answer your two questions:

    Is AdSense Useless? NO

    Are MFAs useless? Google AdSense don't really want you making websites specifically for AdSense (I guess since this can lead to people making loads of thin sites with poor content etc). So if you just made a small build-and-forget MFA, chances are it's not what AdSense (or Google) will be looking for.

    But AdSense isn't useless, no.

    Out of interest, what course did you buy?
    Signature
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2619169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
    You have just answered your own question as soon as you mentioned that you took a course on building MFA sites.. The question should be "Are made for Adsense (MFA) sites useless?" The answer is YES they are!

    Adsense is great, it is the most liberating monetization model of the past 20 years in my opinion. It has allowed ordinary people like myself to build an online publishing business and get paid for not directly having to sell something. Learn how to create great sites that last and how to drive traffic to them and you will realise how great Adsense can be.


    Originally Posted by twersk View Post

    I wanted to try AdSense. It is one of the areas of internet marketing that I don't know anything about.

    So I bought a course and tried it. I created an MFA site, in the way the course suggested, and then back linked it to a few sites of 3 or better page rank. I even did a couple of anchored back links using my site's main keyword.

    The site has not been found after three plus weeks and I went on to Google's webmaster forum and a few of their "Top Contributors" said that creating sites strictly for AdSense was useless. Does anybody concur?

    (I am not sure if I am allowed to show the site here, but the course had me word the copy so that I reaffirmed the keyword a lot. It also has a .me extension because I chose a domain name based on a keyword that had significant monthly searches so it could be part of the url.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2619271].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2619320].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author twersk
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        So a +500 page $1,400.00 profit MFA site is useless?

        This site would never have happend If Adsnese didn't exist, so yes it's a MFA site. It's sole purpose is to earn money, has been since day #1.

        Hasn't been updated in over 9 months.
        Yukon....your site has 500 pages...mine has 4.
        Signature

        Over 30 years of Wall Street experience has enabled Lince Capital to develop some of the strongest relationships with 50+ lenders and private investors.

        www.lincecapitalgroup.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2619604].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author twersk
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        So a +500 page $1,400.00 profit MFA site is useless?

        This site would never have happend If Adsnese didn't exist, so yes it's a MFA site. It's sole purpose is to earn money, has been since day #1.

        Hasn't been updated in over 9 months.
        Yukon....your site has 500 pages...mine has 4. I wanted to post this after Yukon's post.
        Signature

        Over 30 years of Wall Street experience has enabled Lince Capital to develop some of the strongest relationships with 50+ lenders and private investors.

        www.lincecapitalgroup.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2619610].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          [DELETED]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2619657].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author twersk
            But what I just realized, and I guess I already knew deep down, it doesn't matter which pages are giving you the revenue, it's that Google recognizes a site that has that much content as legitimate and worthy of being indexed. I should have realized that the page I put up (with a sterile contact and policies page attached) would not be very successful...shame too because the content was properly researched by me.
            Signature

            Over 30 years of Wall Street experience has enabled Lince Capital to develop some of the strongest relationships with 50+ lenders and private investors.

            www.lincecapitalgroup.com

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2619765].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
        If it is MFA then it probably is useless to the visitor.. That goes without saying. However, I am sure if you are earning a good Adsense income from it then it isn't useless to you. You will probably find a far better return on 500 pages if you had actually put some effort into them.

        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        So a +500 page $1,400.00 profit MFA site is useless?

        This site would never have happend If Adsnese didn't exist, so yes it's a MFA site. It's sole purpose is to earn money, has been since day #1.

        Hasn't been updated in over 9 months.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2620206].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          [DELETED]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2620453].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
            Then what you are doing is very far removed from MFA! You have researched your niche, you know what they are looking for and you are obviously giving it to them. That is the perfect model for Adsense. Why put your site in the spammy bracket of MFA? You are doing things the right way in my opinion!


            Originally Posted by yukon View Post

            What takes me 10min. to complete would take most folks in my niche hours to finish.

            I'm not bragging, it took me 2 years of work to fine tune my site, & my own skills in creating files.

            People come to me, they know I'll give them the highest quality free files.

            I draw them into my site, because most have friends that have suggested they visit me for files.

            This all started as a hobby, then grew into IM a few years ago.

            I first started posting my files on forums, then realized the forum webmaster was making money from my content with adsense. Two years later my adsense site is on auto-pilot & still makes the same money.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2621697].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
          Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

          You will probably find a far better return on 500 pages if you had actually put some effort into them.
          Sometimes though you have to wonder just how much effort bizrate.com or even icanhascheezburger.com puts into each and every post. The fact is the amount of effort you spend often has little to do with how much value visitors place on a site.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2620454].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
            I would imagine those sites put in a lot of effort to get the brand out there and obviously keeping the database of products and funny images updated and fresh takes some effort. Also, the reason people visit those sites are because people like to compare products and prices with bizrate and people like funny pics using Icancheezeburger. Although I personally don't like those sites, they are filling a market need. I certainly wouldn't class those sites as MFA..


            Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

            Sometimes though you have to wonder just how much effort bizrate.com or even icanhascheezburger.com puts into each and every post. The fact is the amount of effort you spend often has little to do with how much value visitors place on a site.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2621714].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
              Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

              I would imagine those sites put in a lot of effort to get the brand out there and obviously keeping the database of products and funny images updated and fresh takes some effort. Also, the reason people visit those sites are because people like to compare products and prices with bizrate and people like funny pics using Icancheezeburger. Although I personally don't like those sites, they are filling a market need. I certainly wouldn't class those sites as MFA..
              Yes, but my point is that a lot of so-called MFA sites you, Fraggler and others around here routinely trash as garbage sites are essentially the same kind of thing. Individuals and corporations use various forms of automation and management systems to build Adsense and/or affiliate sites that provide entertainment or info that some people like and find useful. Some do it better than others and, from my perspective, bizrate.com does a lot worse job of providing useful content than many 'XFactor' or 'sniper' style sites I've run across. Yet, many, including Google, wants to give bizrate a free pass. It annoys me greatly that they can get away with something that would be a short trip to the deindex bin if you or I did it.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622151].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
                No, I don't routinely trash sites like the examples you gave because they are providing some sort of service to their visitors. Like I said before, they are not my personal cup of tea but I am sure they have a good level of returning visitors.

                The types of sites that I regard as garbage are the ones that just scrape (steal) content or worse, badly spun content.. The sites that give zero thought to what their visitors are actually looking for when they search for the keywords that the garbage site is optimised for.

                I have no problem with automation except when that automation means that the resulting content is nonsense, irrelevant and designed purely with the intention of gaming the system than giving something of value. That is the big problem with automated systems like autoblogs, the lack of quality control on what gets published. It is just plain lazy and deserves to get de-indexed. Automation does not have to be like this, it is just that some marketers fall into the trap of thinking they can just push a button, set and forget and hopefully watch the money come rolling in, it just isn't the way ahead any more.

                Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

                Yes, but my point is that a lot of so-called MFA sites you, Fraggler and others around here routinely trash as garbage sites are essentially the same kind of thing. Individuals and corporations use various forms of automation and management systems to build Adsense and/or affiliate sites that provide entertainment or info that some people like and find useful. Some do it better than others and, from my perspective, bizrate.com does a lot worse job of providing useful content than many 'XFactor' or 'sniper' style sites I've run across. Yet, many, including Google, wants to give bizrate a free pass. It annoys me greatly that they can get away with something that would be a short trip to the deindex bin if you or I did it.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622238].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
                  Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                  The types of sites that I regard as garbage are the ones that just scrape (steal) content or worse, badly spun content.. The sites that give zero thought to what their visitors are actually looking for when they search for the keywords that the garbage site is optimised for.
                  But Steve, you're giving bizrate.com a pass for doing exactly that.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622276].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
                    No, not true. Whilst I don't want to fall into the trap of being the defender of bizrate, far from it in fact, they obviously scrape products and prices of other sites and recompile it on their own site. They are an example of a thin affiliate site but they do what they do well and fill a gap in the market when it comes to comparison shopping. I don't however see any poorly spun content, they offer a rating system, popular searches, price comparison, their results are quite relevant for the searches, they offer some good filtering. I would say this is a good example of automation and database retrieval.

                    Rather than concentrate on borderline sites, let me address the balance by showing an example of a really good site that everybody could create with some effort, enthusiasm, patience and time. DIY, Do It Yourself Home Improvement - DIY-HQ It is on page 1 of Google for the term "diy", it is the perfect example of what a site with Adsense on can be. It isn't made for Adsense, Adsense was made for it and others like this..

                    For good measure here is another example that is very achievable and is a great example of a good site with Adsense on.. http://www.floristryexpert.co.uk/ Once again, it is on page 1 of Google for the keyword "flower arranging".

                    Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

                    But Steve, you're giving bizrate.com a pass for doing exactly that.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622348].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author L41db4ck
                      Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                      an example of a really good site that everybody could create with some effort, enthusiasm, patience and time. DIY, Do It Yourself Home Improvement - DIY-HQ

                      For good measure here is another example that is very achievable and is a great example of a good site with Adsense on.. Choosing, Arranging and Displaying Flowers at Floristry Expert (UK) Once again, it is on page 1 of Google for the keyword "flower arranging".
                      Funny, I opened floristryexpert and there was a 'Wedding Flowers' ad then I went to DIY-HQ and there too was a 'Wedding Flowers' ad!

                      P.S. I'm not going to a wedding soon so Google has me all wrong.
                      Signature

                      Rgds, our password-named poster

                      Google LOVES aged domains!
                      Premium Aged Domains - - Make An Offer Now!


                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622722].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
                        What you are seeing is the DoubleClick cookie in action. What you are looking at online is being recorded in a cookie and then Adsense uses that to show ads not only that are contextually relevant but also relevant to what you like. It just so happens that you looked at Wedding flowers and now you are labeled as someone who is interested in wedding flowers.

                        Originally Posted by L41db4ck View Post

                        Funny, I opened floristryexpert and there was a 'Wedding Flowers' ad then I went to DIY-HQ and there too was a 'Wedding Flowers' ad!

                        P.S. I'm not going to a wedding soon so Google has me all wrong.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622751].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author L41db4ck
                          Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                          What you are seeing is the DoubleClick cookie in action. What you are looking at online is being recorded in a cookie and then Adsense uses that to show ads not only that are contextually relevant but also relevant to what you like. It just so happens that you looked at Wedding flowers and now you are labeled as someone who is interested in wedding flowers.
                          Like I said, they have me all wrong!

                          I didn't realise it did that.....or maybe I did and just forgot :rolleyes:
                          Signature

                          Rgds, our password-named poster

                          Google LOVES aged domains!
                          Premium Aged Domains - - Make An Offer Now!


                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622770].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
                    Steve, do you know what the real issue is?

                    Throughout the WF you have shown a literal propensity to hammer every Adsense Business Model that doesn't follow after or believe in the Adsense Business Model you took years to develop.

                    Case in point...

                    If a person went back and read many of your Adsense related posts, they'd find that you usually pepper your statements with Nostradamus like prophetic utterances such as this.

                    Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                    ...it just isn't the way ahead any more.
                    Steve, if you were the CEO of the Adsense division of Google, we might believe your Nostradamus like prophetic utterances. But you are not and therefore, you are merely offering up your opinion... which I should emphatically reiterate is fueled and energized by the fact that YOU believe that YOUR Adsense Business Model/System is THE model for everyone to follow for the future.

                    BUT, most importantly, you are pushing for people to subscribe to your Adsense subscription service where you teach The Way Ahead.

                    Steve, I know of a restaurant owner who passionately sells what he calls, "Healthy Hamburgers" His restaurant does real well but the problem is, he essentially decries ANYONE who does not make hamburgers like he ascribes they should be made.

                    Like you, he claims that his model/system of making hamburgers is THE WAY ahead and that McDonalds, White Castle, Rally's, Jack In The Box, Burger King, Carl's Jr, Wendy's, Fat Joes, Krystals, Johnny Rockets, Fuddruckers, Checkers, What-A-Burger, Five Guys, Hardee's, Zesto's, In-N-Out Burger, Dairy Queen, Red Barn, Sonic's, and Fatburger are all going to eventually somehow fall by the wayside.

                    Yeah right!

                    Obviously, he is off point, but his passion, drive and desire to push his system and model of making "Healthy Hamburgers" is preventing him from seeing reality. Which is, those other Business models of making and selling hamburgers WORKS and they ALWAYS will work no matter how much he hammers, trashes and otherwise speaks ill of them.

                    Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                    No, I don't routinely trash sites like the examples you gave because they are providing some sort of service to their visitors. Like I said before, they are not my personal cup of tea but I am sure they have a good level of returning visitors.
                    Here we go, with YOUR opinion, once again...

                    Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                    The types of sites that I regard as garbage are...
                    Once again, it's your personal opinion! The thing about it, that you seem to wholeheartedly reject is, you are rendering your personal opinion and not incontrovertible irrefutable Adsense Law.

                    You have a Adsense Business Model that you believe in and that works for you just like the guy who sells the healthy hamburgers has a system and business model.

                    But your Adsense Business Model isn't THE WAY anymore than healthy hamburgers is THE WAY and only way to make and sell hamburgers.

                    Your dislike/disdain of badly spun content is moot because the fact is... badly spun content... WORKS great with Adsense!

                    I know its real hard but try and get over it!

                    Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                    The sites that give zero thought to what their visitors are actually looking for when they search for the keywords that the garbage site is optimised for.
                    Again, Steve, this is obviously not your Adsense Business Model but it WORKS! There are countless Adsense Publishers making a killing and they could NEVER sit down and tell you what their visitors are looking for... because THEY DON'T CARE!

                    Their sites were built on properly researched keyword phrases based on the numbers, and they have great SEO that gets them laser targeted traffic and because of those two criteria, they have HIGH CTRs. However, their content, by your estimation, opinion and judgment is GARBAGE, But, guess what?
                    • The site owner is happy because he or she is making great Adsense income.
                    • The visitor to the site is happy because they landed on the site and it was the garbage content that led/incited/inspired them to click on the link which landed them on a site that was exactly what they were looking for. [Some people call that a miracle!]
                    • The advertiser is happy because they received laser targeted high converting traffic.
                    • Google Adsense is happy because their advertising revenue has just increased even the more.
                    Apparently, the ONLY peeved, perturbed or unhappy individuals in this equation are people like yourself who go around rating and judging content and systems as if they are the Adsense brigade, police, jury and judge and prophet.

                    Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                    I have no problem with automation except when that automation means that the resulting content is...
                    Ok, but you don't control Adsense... and that's why the people who put out what you consistently classify as garbage don't give a flying flip about your opinion or assessments of their content.

                    My only reasoning to responding to such threads, posts and comments is to help noobs and those who would like to make money with Adsense understand that Adsense has many successful business models. And just because a Adsense Publisher dislikes a particular Adsense business model because it's different than his doesn't mean squat!

                    Any Adsense Publisher can make money with any of the proven Adsense Business Models once they learn the ebb and flow and nuances of that particular Business Model.

                    Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                    That is the big problem with automated systems like autoblogs, the lack of quality control on what gets published.
                    You don't get it and I see why; in your Adsense Business Model, quality control is obviously a critical element. But in the Business Model of those who implement certain types of Auto Blogging systems, it is obvious that they ARE NOT the slightest bit concerned about QC anymore than Fatburger is concerned about calories, grease or salt.

                    Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                    Like I said, I have no problem using automated solutions when quality control and added value is used along with it...
                    Ok, I get it, in your Adsense Business Model, using auto blogging systems is OK as long as one is implementing QC and adding value. But, if they are not following your auto blogging Adsense Business Model, then their site is GARBAGE?

                    Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

                    It is just plain lazy and deserves to get de-indexed.
                    OK, so let me get this straight, I've been at this for a while and do extremely well with Adsense and personally know other Adsense Publishers who also do extremely well. They/we make Adsense and ourselves a lot of money using the very systems you claim is garbage. In spite of that, you assert that we are lazy?

                    How can a Premium Adsense publisher be lazy???

                    You are too funny Steve, just way too funny...

                    Giles, the Crew Chief
                    Signature
                    Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

                    SEO G.O.L.D. = Genuine Overall Link Diversity
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2623102].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
                      I read the bit about it being "just my opinion" and then my eyes just clouded over.. sorry. Yes, you are absolutely right it is all my opinion because funnily enough that is my frame of reference just like your opinion is yours.. By the way, my real opinion is that you ought to lay off the caffeine buddy!

                      Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

                      Steve, do you know what the real issue is?

                      Throughout the WF you have shown a literal propensity to hammer every Adsense Business Model that doesn't follow after or believe in the Adsense Business Model you took years to develop. BLAH... BLAH... BLAH
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2623146].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
                Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

                Yes, but my point is that a lot of so-called MFA sites you, Fraggler and others around here routinely trash as garbage sites are essentially the same kind of thing.
                The only sites I am trashing as garbage sites are the single page (+contact, about, privacy) MFA sites with useless content on the homepage. I have told you this before.

                Edit:I just came across this thread at the Google forum. This is the crap I am talking about:

                http://www.google.com/support/forum/...eb0e9380&hl=en

                Towards the bottom someone has posted a large list of the user's sites. The ones in the OP are the better ones.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2624206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author twersk
    It was really two courses, serpmasterplan dot com

    ...and the other was part of a lot of courses; a week long trial of IM Advantage which included a bunch of courses. The template I used was html from them and they really seemed to know what they were talking about. They had spreadsheets of competitive keywords that you could create a domain from etc.
    Signature

    Over 30 years of Wall Street experience has enabled Lince Capital to develop some of the strongest relationships with 50+ lenders and private investors.

    www.lincecapitalgroup.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2619597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author twoverun
    I haven't tried AdWords yet, but sounds like a good concept. I see it is spread throughout your website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2620074].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
    Your site, not being found, has nothing to do with Adsense.

    Are you getting and spiders crawling your site from Google?

    Have you submitted your site to Google Webmaster Tools? What does it say about your site?

    Did you buy a dropped domain? Do you know its history? It is possible you have a domain that has previously been removed from the index. If that's the case you will need to submit a reconsideration request..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2620401].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2620477].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author twersk
      Yukon, are you for hire? I'm glad I started this post. The wide range of ideas is awesome, but I also loved when you replied to my post "A person just needs to know how to make it happen."
      Signature

      Over 30 years of Wall Street experience has enabled Lince Capital to develop some of the strongest relationships with 50+ lenders and private investors.

      www.lincecapitalgroup.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2620554].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
      Absolutely.. You make some great points! Articles certainly have their place on a site and probably 90% of the content on my sites are articles. The other 10% is made up of videos, images, diagrams, forums, downloads, flowcharts, scripts, games etc.. In my experience not only is that 10% of the content the best linkbait which is great for off page SEO but it also attracts the most referral traffic compared to articles.

      Even though the "best" content tends not to be article based, I still believe that articles are essential. The secret is to mix it all up with other forms of content as well.

      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      I'm not saying I know everything about IM, If I did I wouldn't be here.

      The biggest misperception I see on this forum, is that most folks think content can only be text.

      When it comes to content for adsense sites this is 100% not the case.

      Do you realize the amount of free content that is available on the net, that can be presented in a better way, to monetize adsense.

      Public domain includes a huge amount of content.

      About a week ago I found an entire series of vintage movies on a public domain site, like maybe 30 movies.

      That one find will be an entire 30 page adsense site, the content is there (for free).

      Another cool thing about this video find, Amazon sells the complete set of vintage movies on DVD, & I'm an affliate for Amazon.

      Best part, I don't need to write a single article.

      [edit]

      BTW, do your own research for public domin laws, etc...

      In the U.S., any work published before January 1, 1923 anywhere in the world is in the public domain
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622130].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoweb2000
    Use content targeting for your content so that the better paying ads will show instead of the lame ones. There's a special code that tells the google bot which part of the content is the "main content" for the article. It has been a log time since I worked with adsense so I can recalled the code, but I am sure you can google it.

    If you are seriously considering making money with adsense, I would recommend investing in an adsense course. Only years after I started with adsense did I watch some adsense videos that came as an bonus course. I learn more in 1hr than I learn during the year that I play around with adsense. And if I had to do it all over again I would fork out the money to buy it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2621681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author julie9999
    Adsense is not useless. Adsense is very important and helpful i do that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2621770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jslee
    There are some great ideas here. However, I could not get adsense work for me. I even bought ppc traffic and did not pay at all. If you do not get it right. You will be wasting your time and money.

    I am doing well with a new site with original content. But it takes ages to create the content, get indexed and show in searches. At least I don't worry about being black listed by google or anyone.

    There are some niches that are cheap to buy PPC. If you could find a monatization for your site, it could pay to buy PPC trafic. Some people put only an e-book download on their site and make decent money.

    I guess you need to try and see what works. There is no one method that works for everyone
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622255].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jslee
    One other things is that it is not difficult to find content for any site. There are 1000 of articles for free. If you optimize your site well, you benefit from the articles more than the people who wrote it.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622262].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jacob Martus
    I think the point bgmacaw is trying to get at is:

    If myself or any other small business on this forum were to take some sort of automated script to scrape content, product reviews, comparisons, etc and put it on our nobody site that doesn't have contacts with Google, that'd we'd be de-indexed in short order.

    I'm not familiar with BANS Wp-mage and the like, but from what I understand they do a very similar process to what's described above and yet most BANS sites get de-indexed very quickly because Google has outlawed their footprint.

    Like I said, not an expert on these things, but I have read about scrips like that getting the de-index buttons pushed just because they are associated with many people using them. Switch it up and program you're own custom script and get some investments from a Google exec and you'll be fine.

    That's the gist of what I've read from Bgmacaw and in my opinion I agree completely with his feeling of that being hypocrisy.

    If I'm off base on that, let me know Bg, but I remember reading something similar several times here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622611].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
      Hi Jacob, nice to hear from you again.. I get the point that bgmacaw was making but I don't agree that any site trying to do something similar will get deindexed. In fact I even have some sites that are still indexed in Google and earning me a small income that uses the PHPBayPro script and basically scrapes ebay 's listings for relevant products.

      The difference is I didn't just chuck this script onto some rough template and let it run, I actually mixed up these listings with some actual content about the various product categories. I tried to add some extra value like reviews, tutorials etc and that sat alongside the results that PHPBay pulled in.

      Now I haven't touched these sites for a year or so, they just tick over earning me about $100 a month on average and a lot of the traffic still comes from Google. Like I said, I have no problem using automated solutions when quality control and added value is used along with it. I think bizrate actually add some value like I said before and of course they have established their presence over a number of years and become an authority at what they do. There is no conspiracy against new sites trying to use automated solutions, it is just that they follow some flawed strategies. I have seen the type of sites that people using wpmage spit out and they are garbage. I am not saying that WPMage is garbage, it is just a tool at the end of the day. The results are only as crap as the user want them to be.

      Originally Posted by Jacob Martus View Post

      I think the point bgmacaw is trying to get at is:

      If myself or any other small business on this forum were to take some sort of automated script to scrape content, product reviews, comparisons, etc and put it on our nobody site that doesn't have contacts with Google, that'd we'd be de-indexed in short order.

      I'm not familiar with BANS Wp-mage and the like, but from what I understand they do a very similar process to what's described above and yet most BANS sites get de-indexed very quickly because Google has outlawed their footprint.

      Like I said, not an expert on these things, but I have read about scrips like that getting the de-index buttons pushed just because they are associated with many people using them. Switch it up and program you're own custom script and get some investments from a Google exec and you'll be fine.

      That's the gist of what I've read from Bgmacaw and in my opinion I agree completely with his feeling of that being hypocrisy.

      If I'm off base on that, let me know Bg, but I remember reading something similar several times here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2622694].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
        Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

        I don't agree that any site trying to do something similar will get deindexed.
        Sorry Steve, but they do. Just ask anyone who's used scripts like BANS. The content can be first rate but that doesn't matter, you're deindexed automatically simply for using the script.

        PHPBay and probably WP-Mage seem to be harder for them to nail down since they're running under WP and, if they blanket penalize, they'll have the "baby out with the bathwater" problem. However, I've heard of quite a few of WP affiliate feed plugin based sites getting deindexed after a 30 second manual review regardless of content quality. Such inspections are based entirely on immediate look and feel.

        Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

        There is no conspiracy against new sites trying to use automated solutions
        It's not so much as conspiracy but an ongoing policy of Google's to destroy affiliate marketing and some other types of online marketing. This is typical monopoly behavior, using dominance in one market sector to dominate yet another related market sector. Standard Oil did it. AT&T did it. Microsoft did it. And now Google is doing it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2623724].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Stephen Crooks
          I am not that well up on BANS sites so I can't offer an opinion on that (I am sure some people will be happy about that around here ) All I can say is that in my experience I don't think it is the tools or the fact that the tools are automated that is the problem. The problem is how some people use these tools without offering value to the visitor. In terms of how Google sees these types of sites, I am sure that leaving easily traceable footprints all over the place is probably the biggest problem.

          I don't understand why you think Google are on a mission to destroy affiliate sites. I see a ton of affiliate links in Google's top 10 for all sorts of keywords. I agree that they are on a mission to get rid of affiliate sites that are blatantly just there to flog products for a juicy commission or so called thin affiliate sites, yes, bizrate can be regarded as a thin affiliate site but then authority does go a long way with Google.

          Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

          Sorry Steve, but they do. Just ask anyone who's used scripts like BANS. The content can be first rate but that doesn't matter, you're deindexed automatically simply for using the script.

          PHPBay and probably WP-Mage seem to be harder for them to nail down since they're running under WP and, if they blanket penalize, they'll have the "baby out with the bathwater" problem. However, I've heard of quite a few of WP affiliate feed plugin based sites getting deindexed after a 30 second manual review regardless of content quality. Such inspections are based entirely on immediate look and feel.

          It's not so much as conspiracy but an ongoing policy of Google's to destroy affiliate marketing and some other types of online marketing. This is typical monopoly behavior, using dominance in one market sector to dominate yet another related market sector. Standard Oil did it. AT&T did it. Microsoft did it. And now Google is doing it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2624006].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
            Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

            The problem is how some people use these tools without offering value to the visitor.
            Then we're right back to the bizrate.com problem of automated feeds with keyword stuffed content. They get away with it while you and I, the average guy or gal working alone, can't, at least not as easily.

            To a non-IM savvy user, bizrate.com, thefind.com or StevesUnderwaterBasketEmporium.com is simple a listing of the best prices for a product, most likely exactly what they're looking for and thus has value to the visitor and to the advertiser.

            Originally Posted by Steve Crooks View Post

            I don't understand why you think Google are on a mission to destroy affiliate sites.
            Not sites so much as they want to control as much of the online marketplace as they can. To achieve that goal they have to make sure that advertisers and publishers see them as virtually the only game in town. It's a game pioneered by J. D. Rockefeller and Standard Oil over 100 years ago except they traded in oil. It's called "blocking the tracks".
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2625642].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
          Has anyone tried Google's Affiliate Network that they just reopened up? I'm a bit scared of it now...it sounds like they might be baiting affiliates to register so they can easily ban their websites.

          Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

          It's not so much as conspiracy but an ongoing policy of Google's to destroy affiliate marketing and some other types of online marketing.
          The BANS script probably got abused pretty bad so it was easier for Google to chase the footprint rather than looking at each site individually.

          Other Amazon autoposters (including WP-robot) still work fine. I use them myself and haven't had one deindexed yet. I use the scripts to supplement original content though.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2624180].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nomar86
    adsense still works google wants you to make something informative / useful for the visitor. not only a money making site for you
    Signature

    Web Development, SEO, Wordpress, Money Making Ideas

    - Nomar

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2623321].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2623437].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HorseStall
    AdSense is not useless but as others have pointed out MFA sites very well could be ;-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2623498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2623833].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2625692].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hyaku_Man
      I`m currently making about $175 a day from Adsense so it isn`t useless. You could say my sites are MFA because I make them to make money, but when people say MFA they`re usually talking about sites that have no value to the visitor and exist ONLY to make money.

      My best site makes about $50 a day from 200 pages. I have others that have only 2-5 pages and they make some money, but only like $0.50 to $1 a day even after building backlinks. Why not just make a few big sites rather than a zillion small ones. 90% of my money comes from 4 sites.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2625816].message }}

Trending Topics