1. Relevancy is Key - Not every backlink to your website is good for you. Google's main concern is that the link comes from a valuable and relevant website. Its relevancy that will get your website ranked on more keywords for your nitch.
2. Quantity - Having a lot of relevant backlinks will make you stand out as the authority figure on your nitch. If your competitors have 5o0 backlinks and you only have a few, Google looks at them as the authority figure. However if you had 900 High quality backlinks, Google will forget about the other guy and you will find your way to tons of traffic.
3. PR Rated Links - Not only do the relevancy of the websites you obtain backlinks from matter, but so does the websites Page Rank or (PR). Page Rank is Google's Estimation of how relevant a certain website is. The higher the score the better, PR Scores are show as 1/10 to 10/10.
4. Types of Backlinks - The best backlink's in our minds are created in blog and forum commenting with a link to your website wrapped in Anchor Text and tied to specific keywords. Social bookmarking is also key in addition to creating permanent backlinks on Relevant PR rated websites.
5. Outsourcing your backlink creation - The quickest way to obtain a massive amount of backlinks is to hire a company who outsources the work to India or other third world countries where workers are cheap yet produce great results. There are a lot of companies out there offering these services but you must be careful that they are only creating relevant non Link-Farmed backlinks. You can easily get your website blacklisted if you're not careful. Do some research before hiring a company to do this for you. You can also check out our resource center for referrals.
6. In-Links - This involves creating a series of blogs, websites, and landing pages which all link back to each other. Each Cog in the wheel is heavily back linked and all the content is unique. You can include videos on You Tube, PDF Files, Image Files, Shopping comparison Links, and Articles submitted to article submission websites. All of these pages show up in different search engines within Google and if they are all related and point back to your main website, it's just a matter of time before you're credibility grows on Google.
These are just a few tips to get you started in your link building.