Does addon domain affect SEO ranking?

by CS
15 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I registered few of domain names and put it as addon domains in my Bluehost recently.

Later a week, I noticed Google has dropped my primary domain ranking tremendously. From position 5 to position over 400 now

Would the addon domains really affect Google position my sites in the search engine?

From what i understand, addon domain is basically a subdirectory of primary domain. I actually have similar contents at www.primarydomain.com/addondomain/ and www.addondomain.com/ sites.

Does Google treat these as duplicate contents? If yes, how to overcome it?
Is it better to invest separate hosting for each domain?
#addon #addon domain #affect #domain #hosting #ranking #seo
  • Profile picture of the author Alexander CPA
    Nope, this is just a feature with your web hosting companies control panel, it has no effect/effects on SEO. A addon domain is another domain name you attach to your webhosting account, allowing you to host 2 websites within the same hosting account. As long as you don't have the exact same website on both domains. You'll be fine, you shouldn't inter-link websites on the same host, as they'll all be on the same IP.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2889876].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Originally Posted by Alex Brooks View Post

      you shouldn't inter-link websites on the same host, as they'll all be on the same IP.
      That is complete nonsense. You'd be a fool not to interlink. Easiest backlinks you
      can get. Why is this such a big secret????

      Where do people get such misinformation from?

      Here's a huge example. Ever hear of digital point?
      You don't think digitalpoint.com links to forum.digitalpoint.com?
      Check it out. First page link! I guess they did not get the memo.

      Get a grip on reality people.

      Do this stuff right, the first time.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2922745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ashique
    Originally Posted by CS View Post

    Does Google treat these as duplicate contents? If yes, how to overcome it?
    Is it better to invest separate hosting for each domain?
    Yes, Google treats them as duplicate content if you use the exact same article in both the sites.

    The solution is: to write unique content for your new site (add-on domain).

    Even if you invest in separate hosting for each domain, your rankings will still have a negative effect due to duplicate content.
    Signature
    Here's the Formula to Make a Lot *More* Money FASTER in ANY Profitable Niche:
    Figure out who your Top Competitors are + Spy on their websites to find their targeted keywords + Do Article Marketing 'like a pro' to Rank #1 in Google for those competitive keywords + Drive warm targeted traffic faster from those articles to your 'money page' = $$$. (Click Here To Learn How To Find Your Competitors' Keywords)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2890092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CS
    Hi Alex, Thanks for the explanation.. i can put all my domains at one hosting, to save all my money now

    I also have a good news want to share with you, I just checked Google ranking of my site just now, it actually goes back to position 5 now
    What i did was just set Disallow code for all the addon domains, in primary domain robots.txt file.

    Hi Ashique, I think you misunderstand what my previous question means.
    What i tried to explain was
    addon domain is basically a subdirectory of primary domain. so I have 2 urls www.primarydomain.com/addondomain/ and www.addondomain.com/ sites, all are pointing to the same directory, and i worry this would be duplicate contents from the search engine point of view.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2890701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clickbump
    Originally Posted by CS View Post

    From what i understand, addon domain is basically a subdirectory of primary domain. I actually have similar contents at www.primarydomain.com/addondomain/ and www.addondomain.com/ sites.

    Does Google treat these as duplicate contents? If yes, how to overcome it?
    Is it better to invest separate hosting for each domain?
    Hi CS, don't worry about this. The great majority of IM'rs use add-on domains. HostGator and Bluehost are two of the top hosts in this regard. I have lots of top 10 ranked sites on both using add on domains exclusively.

    Also, if you try to get to primarydomain.com/addondomain.com you will find a 404 so no issues with google associating your addon domains as links off your primary domain.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2891027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IwebSeo
    Banned
    Duplicate content are very harmful for any website ranking.
    so please you can add on many domain in your hosting account but try to make different content for each website.
    and don't exchange link same ip's website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2922566].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CS
      Originally Posted by IwebSeo View Post

      so please you can add on many domain in your hosting account but try to make different content for each website.
      and don't exchange link same ip's website.
      Sorry, I think you didn't understand my question as well, I don't create duplicate contents, just the two different urls point to the same contents.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2923112].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dburk
        Originally Posted by CS View Post

        Sorry, I think you didn't understand my question as well, I don't create duplicate contents, just the two different urls point to the same contents.
        Hi CS,

        Actually, using more than one URL to point to the same document is one of the most common forms of duplicate content, as defined by search engines. Yes, I know that you didn't actually create a new separate document, however a search engine treats each unique URL as if it is a separate document. So, from the perspective of search engines you are creating duplicate content when you serve that same content from more than one URL.

        As you have already discovered, this is a very bad idea as it only serves to dilute your PageRank. Keep the add-on domains if you wish, just create unique content for each URL.

        For some specific information about exactly how Google defines duplicate content and ways you can avoid problems associated with duplicate content see this link:

        Duplicate content - Webmaster Tools Help
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2923572].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author CS
          Originally Posted by dburk View Post

          Hi CS,

          Actually, using more than one URL to point to the same document is one of the most common forms of duplicate content, as defined by search engines. Yes, I know that you didn't actually create a new separate document, however a search engine treats each unique URL as if it is a separate document. So, from the perspective of search engines you are creating duplicate content when you serve that same content from more than one URL.

          As you have already discovered, this is a very bad idea as it only serves to dilute your PageRank. Keep the add-on domains if you wish, just create unique content for each URL.

          For some specific information about exactly how Google defines duplicate content and ways you can avoid problems associated with duplicate content see this link:

          Duplicate content - Webmaster Tools Help
          I don't wish to create 2 urls points to the same location, it's bluehost creates an addon domain for me, evenever i add my new domain to the same host. How do i inform bluehost to stop create the extra url?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2925660].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author dburk
            Originally Posted by CS View Post

            I don't wish to create 2 urls points to the same location, it's bluehost creates an addon domain for me, evenever i add my new domain to the same host. How do i inform bluehost to stop create the extra url?
            Hi CS,

            Typically when you create an addon domain for your account the control panel will allow you to create a separate subdirectory folder on the web server for your addon domain. In other cases you use your .htaccess file or scripting, depending on the platform of your web server.

            When done properly your addon domain will point to it's own directory on the server and that is where you upload your web page files for your addon domain.

            I recommend you contact your hosting company's support and ask for a little help.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2925883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialbookmark
    Addon domains can't change the position of your websites at all. Its totally unrelated and i think the reason of your problem is something else. Maybe your content, your backlink or something else. But i want to make you sure that addon domains can't help or hurt your ranking on Google.
    Signature

    I love warriorforum.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2923226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hardik Jogi
    Nope! They don't affect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2923410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sandra98
    Ethan,

    It seems a lot of sites have gotten away with the duplicate content penalty in this add on domain duplicate content issue. But it's an issue for a few.

    To be safe, you may want to try to add a few lines to the .htacess file to show a permanent redirect for www.primarydomain.com/addondomain/ to www.addondomain.com/.

    This issue is described here and if you scroll down to a reply by Matthew (September 2, 2010), he lists the problem he faced and the lines of code used to overcome it.

    Please read before creating an Addon Domain. « HostGator.com Support Portal

    Hope this helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2925893].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author revjoe
      It might be best to transfer that url to hostgator and just use it
      as a primary domain.
      Signature

      Keep the faith and never give up!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5831239].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author riship316
        First off, please excuse my ignorance.

        Lets say i have domain1.com as high ranking.

        Domain2.com is not high ranking.

        If i add domain1.com as an "addon" domain to domain2.com, meaning all of the contenr of domain 1 will now become domain 2's content, and you cam navigate through each website as if they were the same. Will domain1.com loose its rank?

        If it will, what if i point domain2 to domain1?
        Meaning if someone goes to domain2, on the Address bar it will show domain1.com.

        Please explain in detail because as you can see I am not very knowledgeable.

        Thank you
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7066912].message }}

Trending Topics