Didn't See This Coming... Google Dance?

19 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I have a website that was ranking very well for a number of key terms and was making me about 45 dollars a day. Although it first obtained it's ranking about 2 weeks ago the site itself has been around for several years and has a page rank of 2.

Due to the sites long standing I figured any rankings I achieved would be stable. However yesterday at about 5:45 it fell from the first page to the 6th, 7th, 8th or gone altogether for they key words that it was doing so well in before.

I'm trying to figure out if this is just the "Google Dance" or something more sinister.

So the facts are.

2 Year old Domain (I purchased it 3 months ago)
PR2
374 backlinks
13 pages
3 post

The backlink building that I'm having built by others weekly is a consistent mix of.

Blog Comment
Profile
Social Bookmarking
Press Releases
Article Marketing- GoArticles, Article Base...

It has only been 24 hours since the move so I know I'm going to hear a lot of sit tight and wait but when Google snatches over $1200 dollars a month worth of revenue from you it makes you want to take action.

Taking Suggestions
#coming #dance #google
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Sorrell
    The only changes you are likely to have been punished for in any way is your on site content. Have you changed the meta descriptions, the post and page titles or added in some crappy spun content? Or maybe you've added some poor outbound links in there?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3665859].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BulletheadX
      Originally Posted by sorrellaff View Post

      Or maybe you've added some poor outbound links in there?
      Could you elaborate on "poor outbound link"; how Google defines/determines that and how that affects the site?

      Thanks,
      Robert
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3667557].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RealEcon
        Your guys that are link building probably blasted your site with a large number of spammy links. That or someone scraped all your backlinks and then pinged them causing Google to go check them out and see that some dont have your link anymore. Link loss sabotage. It hurts;-)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3667720].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author NetWorth
          I haven't linked to other sites that are of poor quality. Only other sites in my niche as well as wiki and other resource sites.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3667771].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author briantalk
            I would keep backlinking. Keep up the trend and it will get back up in the SERPs.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3668591].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ElectronPlumber
              Check the steps I outlined in the FAQ I'm working on to see if you might have received some manual action from Google:

              FAQ 8.1: PLEASE READ - Your Traffic Dropped and Your Site Was Buried/Deindexed/Sunk

              If you pass the tests, the biggest question is what did you do recently as in the past few weeks or months? Anything? Changed your theme? Removed any internal links? Added nofollows? Changed your robots.txt?

              If you changed nothing, you might have lost some backlinks. When you bought the site, did you buy it based on revenue or get it on the cheap? The person who sold it to you might have had some high power backlinks from their other sites that they have removed since you bought it.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3668630].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author rvrabel2002
                Im in the same boat as you right now. Big drop in traffic almost about the same time you experienced.

                I have seen this time and time again with many of my sites. I wouldnt get too worried about it, they do this all the time. Every change in their algorithm seems to set off a dance on my sites as well.

                Don't worry, as long as your not doing anything black hat, or even grey hat for that matter, rankings will probably reappear in anywhere from 2 - 10 days.
                Signature

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3668810].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author NetWorth
                  Originally Posted by rvrabel2002 View Post

                  Im in the same boat as you right now. Big drop in traffic almost about the same time you experienced.

                  I have seen this time and time again with many of my sites. I wouldnt get too worried about it, they do this all the time. Every change in their algorithm seems to set off a dance on my sites as well.

                  Don't worry, as long as your not doing anything black hat, or even grey hat for that matter, rankings will probably reappear in anywhere from 2 - 10 days.
                  Thanks for the vote of confidence. Are you experiencing this with older sites or newer sites?
                  Signature

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3669496].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author rvrabel2002
                    Originally Posted by NetWorth View Post

                    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Are you experiencing this with older sites or newer sites?
                    The one site that is getting tossed around the most is a pr0, but its about 1 year old and 235 pages of unique content. This is probably the 4th time this has happened to this site, and almost everytime it ended up back in the same position or better.

                    The key to this IM thing is diversify, because putting all your eggs on one site is too risky given the unpredictable nature of google and your serps.

                    Hope this helps.
                    Signature

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3669843].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author NetWorth
                Originally Posted by ElectronPlumber View Post

                Check the steps I outlined in the FAQ I'm working on to see if you might have received some manual action from Google:

                FAQ 8.1: PLEASE READ - Your Traffic Dropped and Your Site Was Buried/Deindexed/Sunk

                If you pass the tests, the biggest question is what did you do recently as in the past few weeks or months? Anything? Changed your theme? Removed any internal links? Added nofollows? Changed your robots.txt?

                If you changed nothing, you might have lost some backlinks. When you bought the site, did you buy it based on revenue or get it on the cheap? The person who sold it to you might have had some high power backlinks from their other sites that they have removed since you bought it.
                I picked it up for about $35.00 on GoDaddy. I purchased it because of the PR. Then I started building with unique content and backlinks from 5 to 7 different people. Using the tactics above. I really don't understand what happened if this was a new domain I would just say. Ok Google Dance but given then time the domain has been around and the PR I feel like this is bigger than the normal bouncing around you see.
                Signature

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3669487].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LawrenceTam
    whatever you do.... don't stop backlinking that's for sure.

    and it just goes to show you that income diversification is needed.
    Signature
    The 17 Affiliate Programs and platforms I've worked with and how Some Sucked while others pay out like a boss.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3665864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kenwa87
    keep on back linking!! could be google dance I have hard many of the same stories. if you changed anything at all on your site change it back! good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3666014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wechito
    Is the content of your site unique?

    Google last update is slapping sites that have auto-generated content.

    Whatever it is, keep building backlinks (it they can be hight quality, better) consistently and adding new, original content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3666112].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetWorth
      Yep content is all hand written and unique. I was really trying to get away from the whole MFA type site. (I got wiped out during that whole thing too). I was really attempting to build a legit business and not just work the system. It seemed like it was working too, until yesterday.

      It brings me to another question... Is there any link building outside of article writing that couldn't be seen as spamming by google. I will say that I have people building links to this site but on at least 6 to 9 different key phrases and using many different methods.

      Thoughts?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3667524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dburk
    Hi NetWorth,

    Relax, it sounds like the temporary boost from QDF has worn off and your page is ranking where it should. You just need to continue promoting targeted traffic and you will eventually earn the higher rankings you seek.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3669471].message }}

Trending Topics