Almost number 1 on google

28 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hey guys,

I made a site about 2-3 months ago and have been working on trying to get it to the number one spot on google, and I'd even settle for top 3. Its currently number 5. The keyword I am targeting has very little competition, and the site holding the number one spot is not that "powerful" so to say, so taking number one/top3 is definitely do able.

So far the SEO methods I have used are:
On site keyword optimization
Keyword in description
Keyword in title
Keyword in URL
Linkwheel
Lots of profile backlinks
Lots of blog comments linking back
Signatures on sites
Articles
Press release
Social bookmarks
And I have also pinged and set up feeds in attempt to get more backlinks indexed.

So basically after all that, I'm still not where I want to be and dont have a clue on what else I can throw at google in hopes to have my site pulled up further

Any tips would be great

Thanks
#google #number
  • Profile picture of the author scott g
    Your site is still young and taking over the number one spot takes time. Go on a backlinking rampage then leave it alone... Go on a backlinking rampage then leave it alone.

    Sooner than late Google will recognize your growth and will shift rankings accordingly.

    I've been in the same predicament with multiple sites trying to rank #1 for a specific search term... One site I just couldn't figure out how or WHY the two sites that sat in front of me SAT in front of me?!??!

    Persistence and time. The last Google algo change that everyone was freaking out about (why? I have no clue) gave my site the weight that it deserved and I bumped the other two sites.

    Google changes it's algorithm like twice a day... One of them will be to your benefit and will readjust your ranking. Just keeping grinding away - Persistence and time is all it takes!

    CHEERS!


    P.s. Your list of On- and Off-site optimization is perfect!
    Signature
    scott g
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3754711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mandark
    I suggest you get one or two high PR paid links on blogrolls of sites in your niche. That helped me boost one of my new sites from page 4 to page 1 for many keywords.

    The WSO in my sig offers a good resource for doing this cheaply, by the way

    But anyway, your overall strategy looks great, but it looks like what you're missing is a few relevant high PR links.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JayVance
    I agree with mandark, you might be able to find a fiverr gig or a service on another outsourcing website where you can get a cheap blogroll backlink, those have serious link juice if they have good PR.
    Signature
    Free Article Directory -> Free Expert Article Directory, High Quality Submissions Only! Your-Answers.com PR3

    SEO Passive Income -> Learn how to make a Passive Income Online
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author caseycase
    I am with Scott G - links+time will get you there! The High PR suggestion is not bad either!
    Signature

    Free IM Info, No Junk - http://www.ironcladim.com



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755218].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BrainCandy
      A nice .edu link can also do the job
      Signature
      Outsourcing is becoming a way of life

      Outsourcing provide you leisure time, more profits and reduced costs.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755387].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rovi
      Without seeing your site, and going only on what you have in your done list, I think you could do more on-page SEO and probably make good progress for low/no cost and a modest time investment.

      Especially since your competition is not that strong, on-page done really well reduces the amount of off-site seo (and therefore time, effort and expense) you need to get high ranking.

      Here's a short list of things I would add to or double check on your list:

      Meta tags: Title (10 words max, include main keyword)
      Description (25 words max, include main keyword at start and variation towards end)
      Keywords (main keyword first, 4 to 8 variations)

      html tags: <h1>one or two on page, include main keyword
      <h2> one or two for each <h1>, include main keyword and variation
      <h3> one or two for each <h2>, main and related keywords

      images - wherever possible, include keyword in name of image, title attribute, alt attribute, and link

      Text - At least a 500 word article. Use main keyword a few times in first 50 words of the page. Include main keyword in bold or italic tags. Go for 1% + keyword density for main keyword. Add variations of keyword also. I find 4% density starts to sound like drivel and you'll wreck conversion, making ranking pointless (just my 2 cents worth - ymmv).

      Include internal links to pages and articles using related keywords.

      Include link(s) to external authority site on main keyword topic, like wikipedia. Or link to social media resources using main keyword as filter. Tuck it away where it will not draw clicks away from your CTA.

      There's much more, but these basics have helped some of my sites get to the top 3 with no backlinking effort at all.

      Get that solid basis in place and your back linking will be even more effective.

      Cheers,
      Rovi
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755493].message }}
    • Originally Posted by caseycase View Post

      I am with Scott G - links+time will get you there! The High PR suggestion is not bad either!
      Yes this is very true. More link, ideally high quality links and time will get you to where you want to be. Remember SEO is a patience game. Just stick at it and you will come right.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3759013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author taxi952
    You can try to contact some of the sites owner in your niche and make a link exchange. This is one of the things that gave my sites a little boost. Is not that easy but it works. Hope it works for you also.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755519].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author diablostoo
    Rovi, you are spot on.. i have done all this with 3 of my websites which are, in my opinion, easy to rank for the keywords i needed, and i have got top spot.. i think 4,000,000 results for my main keyword.. so im pleased with that, but it did take me a while to beat my main comp.. PR3 high ALexa much larger website..hehe

    But basically i used all the techniques as Rovi mentioned, except the new one for me.. the external link to High Authority.. which i will look in to doing. Thanks for that
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755605].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jhnbrwn
    You are almost done with the efforts ( as you stated your result as well ), in order to get the higher spot, make relation with good and noble neighbours, more particularly, URLs that has higher PR.

    Regards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3756421].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Luke112346
      Originally Posted by scott g View Post

      Your site is still young and taking over the number one spot takes time. Go on a backlinking rampage then leave it alone... Go on a backlinking rampage then leave it alone.

      Sooner than late Google will recognize your growth and will shift rankings accordingly.

      I've been in the same predicament with multiple sites trying to rank #1 for a specific search term... One site I just couldn't figure out how or WHY the two sites that sat in front of me SAT in front of me?!??!

      Persistence and time. The last Google algo change that everyone was freaking out about (why? I have no clue) gave my site the weight that it deserved and I bumped the other two sites.

      Google changes it's algorithm like twice a day... One of them will be to your benefit and will readjust your ranking. Just keeping grinding away - Persistence and time is all it takes!

      CHEERS!


      P.s. Your list of On- and Off-site optimization is perfect!
      Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to hear, I was thinking that my site is old and that ~3 months was plenty of time for it to age but i guess not

      Originally Posted by mandark View Post

      I suggest you get one or two high PR paid links on blogrolls of sites in your niche. That helped me boost one of my new sites from page 4 to page 1 for many keywords.

      The WSO in my sig offers a good resource for doing this cheaply, by the way

      But anyway, your overall strategy looks great, but it looks like what you're missing is a few relevant high PR links.
      Thanks
      I really like the sound of that idea, and if I don't get my site to where I want it, im thinking throwing some money at it the way you are talking should really help.

      Originally Posted by BrainCandy View Post

      A nice .edu link can also do the job
      I've got a nice amount of .edu profile links already

      Originally Posted by Rovi View Post

      Without seeing your site, and going only on what you have in your done list, I think you could do more on-page SEO and probably make good progress for low/no cost and a modest time investment.

      Especially since your competition is not that strong, on-page done really well reduces the amount of off-site seo (and therefore time, effort and expense) you need to get high ranking.

      Here's a short list of things I would add to or double check on your list:

      Meta tags: Title (10 words max, include main keyword)
      Description (25 words max, include main keyword at start and variation towards end)
      Keywords (main keyword first, 4 to 8 variations)

      html tags: <h1>one or two on page, include main keyword
      <h2> one or two for each <h1>, include main keyword and variation
      <h3> one or two for each <h2>, main and related keywords

      images - wherever possible, include keyword in name of image, title attribute, alt attribute, and link

      Text - At least a 500 word article. Use main keyword a few times in first 50 words of the page. Include main keyword in bold or italic tags. Go for 1% + keyword density for main keyword. Add variations of keyword also. I find 4% density starts to sound like drivel and you'll wreck conversion, making ranking pointless (just my 2 cents worth - ymmv).

      Include internal links to pages and articles using related keywords.

      Include link(s) to external authority site on main keyword topic, like wikipedia. Or link to social media resources using main keyword as filter. Tuck it away where it will not draw clicks away from your CTA.

      There's much more, but these basics have helped some of my sites get to the top 3 with no backlinking effort at all.

      Get that solid basis in place and your back linking will be even more effective.

      Cheers,
      Rovi
      Thank you so much for this post, I'm going to try some more onsite SEO like your talking about I'm thinking that should make a world of difference on my site in the eyes of google

      Originally Posted by Rovi View Post

      Without seeing your site
      its in my signature if theres anything you can add, very much appreciated
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757198].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rovi
        Originally Posted by Luke112346 View Post

        its in my signature if theres anything you can add, very much appreciated
        Hi Luke, so I took a quick look and I wonder - it must be your sales page that you have ranked? I would be reluctant to do a lot of rearranging for better on-page SEO, for fear of disrupting your sales flow. You have some nice testimonials and it does occur to me that you could repeat one or two of them at the top of your sales letter with emphasis, so people see it/them straight away.

        Now your article pages could do with a lot of rearranging for SEO as they have the potential to rank up there with your sales page, and so far you are not doing much of any on-page SEO with them.

        You might consider going to a 2 column layout so you can include some of the extra on-page SEO ingredients in a sidebar. I would certainly suggest creating a navigation menu there so you can link internally to other articles ad to your sales page.

        It might streamline things to create an article template page, working your way through the SEO to do list, then drop in each article with its main keywords. Since your sales letter page is ranking, I bet your articles would get there too.

        The logic of course is that you attract search visitors to the articles and use plenty of text and graphic links strategically placed to drive visitors toward your order page.

        If any of the articles share keywords, try putting them on the same page together. Encourage people to spend longer on the page = better ranking, in addition to more keyword content.

        Hope these random thoughts help - all the best.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3772559].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author masterjani
    Try to get many number of backlinks from your competitor that will get and stick the spot for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758363].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author App Developers
    Links plus time work every time! I have also been there done that and almost pulled out all of my hair over it!! but..........just keep on doing what you are doing . You will get there!! It just doesn't happen as quickly as we would like it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Google.me
    im wit scott g on this
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIGITALCHAMELEON
    Your on page optimization is very good the presence of your keyword in the description, title and domain is very considerable and I see your link building campaign is very strong, keep it up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3772752].message }}
  • Yes this can take a few months which in my eyes is a good thing. If you could just build a site and rank it number one in 2 months then anyone could do it and it wouldn't be worth doing. Remember the things that are worth doing are often the hardest to achieve.

    Keep on doing what you are doing. I would also try and throw in some powerful backlinks there say from blog with high PR pages. Try to find those and add a few comments here and there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3773087].message }}
  • Search is a moving Target. What is #1 for you may not be for the next guy.

    Just today I was doing some research on Health Supplements. I went to a famous Doctors site. Suddenly on my own site I was seeing Advertising in my Adsense Blocks for this Doctor. Yep Google was using cookie tracking to follow me around.

    You don't think they use this for Regular Search? You bet they do.

    So chase away on that elusive #1 for whatever that means.

    And remember last year Boston was ALMOST the NBA Champion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3773219].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hurn
    cool man.. try to get no 1 and share it with us.
    Signature
    247 Techies listed in crunchbase.com as a reputed online tech support company in US.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadamson
    Just keep on building backlinks and keep the momentum going!

    I'm expecting your next thread to read: "I AM NUMBER ONE IN GOOGLE!!! "

    And you will get hundreds of hits

    -Dave
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StoneWilson
    Just 2-3 months get your website on the first page, nice work! Since you've done so many link building strategies, my suggestion is try more press release and article submission to get higher PageRank, or exchange links with PR3 or PR4 websites, it definitely will work!
    Signature
    Looking for godaddy renewal coupon? Check GodaddyRenewal.com!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Caragui
    Good for your Luke. You mentioned the keyword you're targeting doesn't have much competetion and the #1 may alsoi be shaky so continue link building and you'll eventually get there.
    Signature
    Join Me In My Internet Marketing Journey at Nomasir Marketing

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danlew
    As my saying goes "Give your site a chance to breathe" your site is still young and needs to gather some natural authority and some age! Do things consistently and over time and it will come, you cannot force it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kapoki
    I missed Facebook and Twitter in your schedule. Especially Facebook can give just that extra boost. Works for me!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim Wallace
    Not only blog comments can be used, you can build blogs at wordpress or other, then write articles which contain the links of the keywords, I think it is useful.
    Signature

    So crazy about Neodymium Magnets.
    So crazy for Meuble salle de bain and Wholesale Chinese Products.
    So cazy about Toy Bus Model

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luke112346
    Thank you all for the words of wisdom. Im very glad to hear that for the most part I'm doing everything right, just takes more time then I expected.

    I was gonna post a new threat to ask this question but maybe I can get it answered here.

    When making backlinks can I rank for part of the anchor text?

    For example in my signature the backlink is "WoW PvP Guide"
    Does this also give me link juice for the keyword "WoW PvP" Or is it strictly only the keyword "WoW PvP Guide"

    I ask this because I have a bunch of backlinks for "wow pvp guide" and want to try to rank up on "wow pvp" but why go back and make another 300 forum profiles if it wont do anything. Like if adding wont give it anymore link juice if you guys get what im trying to say.

    Thanks again everyone
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786803].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kiranraj19
    Keep on building quality backlinks for your website to get proper results
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3787051].message }}

Trending Topics