Tough Keywords vs. Easy Related KWs

12 replies
  • SEO
  • |
THE KEYWORDS IN THIS EXAMPLE ARE FICTITIOUS, but the situation I describe in the example and my dilemma I'm asking for advice about is real:

Say I have a couple keywords: [BAR BELL] and [BAR BELLS]. The top 5 websites already ranking for these KWs have very high page rankings (PR5 and PR6). I know that is extremely competitive, so ordinarily I would not be inclined to target these KWs with a brand new site.

Thing is, I've discovered a couple dozen related keywords that I believe would be super easy to target, like:

[metal BAR BELLS]
[heavy BAR BELLS]
[adjustable BAR BELLS]
[BAR BELLS galore]
[training BAR BELL]
[BAR BELL calibrator]
[light weight BAR BELL rack]

...etcetera, such that the exact main keyword is part of the related keyword, though none of these related keywords have further refined related keywords of their own (like [electronic BAR BELL CALIBRATOR] and [self calibrating BAR BELL CALIBRATOR]).

The sites currently ranking for these related keywords are PR 0 to 2 and a few PR3's, thus I feel a brand new site can compete for these targeted KWs. Would you agree?

My question regarding my dilemma is, should I target the tough main KWs so that I can target the easy related KWs, or would I just be better off looking for a different niche where the main KWs can be targeted with as much ease as the related KWs with a brand new site?

Thanks for any insight.
#competitive keywords #competitive niches #easy #keywords #kws #new website #pagerank #related #tough
  • Profile picture of the author Clyde
    The only thing you need to care about is the number of backlinks to page (BLP) the top 10 sites have.

    You'll learn more with doing rather than asking. Look at the number of backlinks site ranking #1 have and see if you can beat that.

    You'll learn with experience.
    Signature

    Generate Unlimited Number of Micro Niche Keywords, Multi-threaded EMD Finder PLUS More!




    50% OFF WSO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3940979].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author businessbanking
      Don't compare your site with high pr sites. If you want to get pr then you should get more and more quality backlinks. If you want to rank your site then you should optimize the website very perfectly which includes content optimization, url optimization etc.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3941689].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Pepperfly
      Originally Posted by uniches View Post

      The only thing you need to care about is the number of backlinks to page (BLP) the top 10 sites have. Look at the number of backlinks site ranking #1 have and see if you can beat that.

      I appreciate the valuable responses from all. I'll definitely check out the tools @cha.se suggested, and as I grow the site I'll keep in mind the suggestions from @businessbanking.

      To be sure I'm clear about the point that @uniches made, do I need to be concerned about beating the total number of backlinks to a given site, or just the number of backlinks to a given site for a specific KW?

      Thanks again!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3943093].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Chase
    Try the SEO Quake toolbar (free) to track the backlinks of the top sites. Also Backlink Watch is good for researching them further, as is SEO Spyglass.
    Signature

    Hello!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3941684].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author razorico
      Originally Posted by cha.se View Post

      Try the SEO Quake toolbar (free) to track the backlinks of the top sites. Also Backlink Watch is good for researching them further, as is SEO Spyglass.
      I've seen here that they released SEOQuake for Opera:
      http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...ake-opera.html
      Awaiting full version!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3958210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author janhindrik
    I have the same dilemma. My thought was I would start with building pages with low competition keywords and when that works start with higher competition keywords later.

    I'm not a big fan of SEO but I always like to learn more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3949094].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Pepperfly
      Originally Posted by janhindrik View Post

      I have the same dilemma. My thought was I would start with building pages with low competition keywords and when that works start with higher competition keywords later.

      I'm not a big fan of SEO but I always like to learn more.
      I don't mind SEO. It's easiest to stay on top of from the start, but if you have to go back and tweak (e.g., page titles) then do it systematically so that you can keep track of your progress as a project. If you're using Wordpress, I'd recommend "WordPress SEO by Yoast" and "SEO Friendly Images", which will fix a lot of stuff for you without much work at all. (Sorry, I don't have enough forum clout yet, so no privs to post the links.) In one month I had keywords go from no where on Google's radar to page 5 and 3 and even page 1, and a couple hit #1. Now just continuing due diligence to get 'em all to #1 on page 1.


      Originally Posted by cha.se View Post

      Try the SEO Quake toolbar (free) to track the backlinks of the top sites.
      I'm using the Chrome extension. Not sure I have it configured correctly. Which parameter reflects the backlinks? And how do I use it to check backlinks for specific keywords? Not asking for a tut, just a quick tip. ;-)

      Thx!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3949857].message }}
  • You don't have to worry about the PR of your competitors to figure out if you can outrank them. Rather, you must look closely at how many backlinks they have using the specific keywords as anchor text.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3958239].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Pepperfly
      Originally Posted by strategic seo services View Post

      You don't have to worry about the PR of your competitors to figure out if you can outrank them. Rather, you must look closely at how many backlinks they have using the specific keywords as anchor text.
      Many people have mentioned this, and I keep asking "how is this done?" How do I check the backlinks to a domain or web page for a specific keyword? Is there an advanced Google search trick or a (free) tool? It was eluded earlier in this thread that SEO Quake can do this, but I haven't read anywhere in the user guide how to accomplish this. Is anyone willing to share the secret? :-) Thx!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3962396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jhonsean
    pr is less important to me because i can out rank them with the same keyword in search engine, while your site has 0 pr and your competitors have pr of 5.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3958297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rising_sun
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Pepperfly View Post

    The sites currently ranking for these related keywords are PR 0 to 2 and a few PR3's, thus I feel a brand new site can compete for these targeted KWs. Would you agree?

    My question regarding my dilemma is, should I target the tough main KWs so that I can target the easy related KWs, or would I just be better off looking for a different niche where the main KWs can be targeted with as much ease as the related KWs with a brand new site?
    well, my opinion is that your dilemma is ok and I do not thing that searching different niche is difficult and finding new niche is more tough; but if you are able to get a new niche then you will make great success soon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3963226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoguru13
    I think you can still compete with HIGH PR sites by having some quality backlinks and there is every chance that you can still come on the first page with 0 PR.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3963319].message }}

Trending Topics