Profile backlinks - are they worth it?

75 replies
  • SEO
  • |


Are profile backlinks with Angela and Pauls Style any good as I heard google doesnt like them.
#backlinks #profile #worth
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Speaking from personal experience - no, I dont think so.

    I've tried this numerous times with the same results. Lousy.

    The majority of them arent indexed, and if they are, they're a PR0 anyway, so the impact is probably minimal.

    Its interesting to note the amount of people offering 50,000 backlink profiles for $1.99. Now I know why.

    Personally, I think you'd be better off finding alternative backlinking methods. Ive never had any luck with them. Ive always had better luck blog commenting.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230845].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

      Lousy.

      The majority of them arent indexed, and if they are, they're a PR0 anyway, so the impact is probably minimal.

      Its interesting to note the amount of people offering 50,000 backlink profiles for $1.99. Now I know why.

      Personally, I think you'd be better off finding alternative backlinking methods.
      I agree with every word, so I have no need to say it all myself, now.

      "Profile backlinks" are possibly even so bad, collectively, that they're worse than "article directory backlinks" ... and believe me: that's saying something.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230867].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author roddyfonline
        Lucky it only cost me $5 lol


        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        I agree with every word, so I have no need to say it all myself, now.

        "Profile backlinks" are possibly even so bad, collectively, that they're worse than "article directory backlinks" ... and believe me: that's saying something.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230878].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RonnyRaygun
        Profile backlinks as a means to increase your ranking for a specific term is most likely gone.

        As a means to increase the likelihood of getting indexed, I think it would be more effective. Granted, there are better ways to get indexed.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230881].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author barry500
          Profile backlinks do seem to get lost in th e white noise and difficult to measure, yet lots of WSO' lead out with them and get good reviews cannot all be B/S ....as an alternative what is working for people?? - I still think blog comments are useful but again, in the hyper activity it is sometimes difficult to definitely say what is pulling results.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230955].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
            Originally Posted by barry500 View Post

            Profile backlinks do seem to get lost in th e white noise and difficult to measure, yet lots of WSO' lead out with them and get good reviews cannot all be B/S ....as an alternative what is working for people?? - I still think blog comments are useful but again, in the hyper activity it is sometimes difficult to definitely say what is pulling results.
            I can only tell you what Ive tried and whats worked/hasnt worked for me.

            And profile backlinks have never worked. They've just been a great waste of time.
            Signature

            BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230971].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author beccol
              I have tried A&P backlinks with no effect..........I found high PR contextual backlinks being the most effective....a few of my sites have got page rank now from this
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230991].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
                Originally Posted by beccol View Post

                I have tried A&P backlinks with no effect..........I found high PR contextual backlinks being the most effective....a few of my sites have got page rank now from this
                Contextual backlinks have been the most powerful for me as well. I HIGHLY recommend them.
                Signature

                BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231005].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kay King
              lots of WSO' lead out with them and get good reviews cannot all be B/S .
              Why not? Its easy to tell people to use methods they've seen "mentioned" elsewhere - it sounds like an "insider idea" and it takes some time before they realize what a waste of time and effort it is. WSO's on such methods are "monetizing the trend"!

              By the time you realize it isn't working, the WSO's are selling the next new method that is "fast, easy, backdoor way to make bucks". If you are going to use methods like profile links - you need to be at the front of the pack. The first people who try it may have profited - but the real value was selling the idea to hundreds of others. That's marketing - but you want to be the seller, not the "others".

              For most things you do online - if promotional methods provide no value to anyone except yourself...it's usually worthless in the end.

              When someone talks about the "PR of the site" - it's misleading. It's called PAGE rank for a reason.

              kay
              Signature

              Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231037].message }}
              • Good points, Kay, and I agree wholeheartedly, but don't you ever feel like a voice in the wilderness?

                There are people all over WF talking about how they're using profile links as the backbone of their SEO strategy. SEO fallacies are notoriously hard to kill, like "you have to get your site into DMOZ because Google loves directories."

                The top seller on Fiverr got there selling worthless profile links on Asian .edu sites. Anyone who tries to post neg feedback for the guy is shouted down by hundreds of ignorant hopefuls who are just sure this gig will do the trick for them.

                fLufF
                --
                Signature
                Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
                Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231098].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                  don't you ever feel like a voice in the wilderness
                  Yeah - many times. But, then, I enjoy time alone in the woods so I don't mind.
                  Signature

                  Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231112].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                    Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

                    Yeah - many times. But, then, I enjoy time alone in the woods so I don't mind.
                    My Lady, You are never alone around these parts. You are one of my favorite posters though I have never said it before.

                    Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

                    Hilarious dude.

                    BTW, theres About 3,830,000 results according to Google.

                    Definitely high competition marketplace
                    You like it. this thread is now ranked number one for the term (temporarily). I'll do a quick screenshot and I am off to the WSO section.
                    Signature

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4232693].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        I agree with every word, so I have no need to say it all myself, now.

        "Profile backlinks" are possibly even so bad, collectively, that they're worse than "article directory backlinks" ... and believe me: that's saying something.
        Article directory marketing.

        I tried that once
        Signature

        BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230882].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author killer1211
      Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

      Speaking from personal experience - no, I dont think so.

      I've tried this numerous times with the same results. Lousy.

      The majority of them arent indexed, and if they are, they're a PR0 anyway, so the impact is probably minimal.

      Its interesting to note the amount of people offering 50,000 backlink profiles for $1.99. Now I know why.

      Personally, I think you'd be better off finding alternative backlinking methods. Ive never had any luck with them. Ive always had better luck blog commenting.
      Same results for me.
      I even pinged them.
      Still i din't got any positive results in search results.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4236304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roddyfonline
    Ive received a completed profile backlinks the sites are between pr3 - pr5 on ave ....Ill have to wait and see
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230874].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
      Originally Posted by roddyfonline View Post

      Ive received a completed profile backlinks the sites are between pr3 - pr5 on ave ....Ill have to wait and see
      No you're not. The pages that contain your actual backlink will most likely be PR0
      Signature

      BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230885].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

        No you're not. The pages that contain your actual backlink will most likely be PR0
        Actually more likely N/A - the ultimate backhand
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231842].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by roddyfonline View Post

      the sites are between pr3 - pr5
      It doesn't matter much what the sites, are Roddy. Only pages have page ranks.

      "The sites" means the page rank of their home pages. If your links aren't on their home pages, it isn't very relevant (as people discover when they submit articles to EZA imagining that it's "a PR-6 site": their articles still have PR-0 backlinks because they're on PR-0 pages).

      Many backlink sellers offer "links on high PR sites"; call me a skepchick but they're of very limited value indeed if they're on PR-0 pages of "high-PR sites". :p

      Originally Posted by barry500 View Post

      cannot all be B/S ...
      Really? Call me a realist, then, rather than a skepchick, because my opinion's different ... :rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230959].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by roddyfonline View Post


    Are profile backlinks with Angela and Pauls Style any good as I heard google doesnt like them.
    I guess it depends on whether you are buying or selling...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230886].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trapped
    Umh profile backlinks are not worth at all. Ramone highlighted some of the main points why profile backlinks are not worth even the time nor the effort to build them (let alone to spend money).

    The other drawback of profile backlinks is that they are known to be "spam" links, are easily detectable and would possibly do more harm then good (had sites where this negative impact was experienced, the solution? build more quality links).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4230985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Well there you go Roddy. I think you got your answer
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author christopher jon
    My $.02

    If you've got a couple of bucks to burn, they aren't going to hurt.

    Something to keep in mind, the golden days of mass profile spamming for backlinks are behind us but a couple thousand junky backlinks, as weak as they are, could be the extra bit of oommph you need to bump your site up a couple of spots. Just don't expect them to be game changers, they aren't.

    The backlink sellers who point to sites as proof they work, if you dig deep enough you'll see a lot more going on. Those products didn't achieve those rankings alone.

    Now, everyone will say Get quality backlinks. Yeah, no duh Einstein.

    Unfortunately, for most newbie and broke-ass marketers, low quality backlinks are the only option. Profiles, comments, article directories, pick your poison. Mix n' match and you'll do OK if your keywords aren't very ambitious.

    The smarter long-term way to go is to buy up expired domains and use them for backlinks. It's a business investment.
    Signature
    It buys my product or it gets the hose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231246].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author glinda2011
      Yes, I agree that buying old domains is that cost-effective. Those domains already has backlinks.

      I have used Angela and Paul's packet links before. It works but that was a year ago.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231343].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author barry500
        @ Alexa, Kay, Johnny,

        Hey guys I'll take a kicking on this !

        Was really just trying to articulate that some of the guys that offer WSO's are credible and have gained their clients some results. However I just see it as part of the mix.

        One of the greatets frustrations is the amounts of WSO's from those who cannot give first hand examples of their results ( and I don't much buy into commercial confidence) As the vendors who say ... "I am number one in fifty niches but cannot reveal my secret keywords."

        Going a bit of track from profile conversation I would just say that if anyone uses a services here or elsewhere - then, just as you would in the real world be sure that you are getting what you are being told will be delivered.

        @Roddy...The greatest thing about these forums is the amount of time, energy, money and effort you can save because of people like the above mentioned sharing thrir opinions and experiences.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LetsGoViral
    I'd say not really. I believe Google has caught up to them. Personally I optimized one of my sites focusing a lot on profile backlinks, but I didn't see significant improvements. I believe modesty and diversity is the key. Not using the same keywords, keyphrases and text combinations in every profile. Naming each profile differently and even tailoring it a bit is also important. Google has become pretty good at recognizing spammy patterns, therefore natural link building is the best option in my opinion. At least, make it seem natural
    Signature
    Time of thinking is over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231486].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr Lim
    N/A Page Rank, Unindexed Pages.

    I think this will help you solve the mystery.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Originally Posted by Bragah View Post

    They work out very well for me if you know how to proper do linkbuilding with this technique.
    Show us some evidence then.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231696].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HostStage
      Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

      Show us some evidence then.
      PM sent ! Please validate and confirm my words since you have a nice reputation on this forum.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4231827].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
        Originally Posted by Bragah View Post

        PM sent ! Please validate and confirm my words since you have a nice reputation on this forum.
        Okay. This is a completely unbiased look at what you've sent me. Because if profile links DO actually work, Id like to know HOW, because I never had any luck with them.

        Having said that, here's what Ive concluded given what you PM'd me. Ive performed these tests using Market Samurai which is quite accurate.

        Your site has a total of 10 backlinks (according to Yahoo site explorer) with 6 of them being profiles - the other 4 are backlinks from your other sites I can only gather as the designs are identical.

        2 of these profiles appear to be indexed in google, but none of them even have a PR of zero. Upon checking, they all display "Current page not indexed" - even the two that I found were, which is odd?


        I also noticed that one of your profile links uses the hyperlink and not anchor text, and another actually came up with a "This site may harm your computer." link in the search results.

        As for competition, which you failed to mention but must be checked - here are the top 10 sites along with their backlinks.

        Position 1 - 28 BL
        Position 2 - 14 BL
        Position 3 - 7 BL
        Position 4 - 0 BL
        Position 5 - 1,110 BL
        Position 6 - 10 BL (you)
        Position 7 - 4 BL
        Position 8 - 447 BL
        Position 9 - 2 BL
        1Position 0 - 2 BL

        To me its obvious. For your chosen keyword, your competition is EXTREMELY weak, which is why Id say you've ranked (along with the fact that you've used an exact match domain) and NOT because of the method you've used.

        I still stand by what I said earlier. Profile backlinks, in my experience have been a waste of time. Dont take it personally, just telling you how it is.

        PS. I didnt bother looking at your other site. Dont really think I need to.
        Signature

        BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4232104].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post


          To me its obvious. For your chosen keyword, your competition is EXTREMELY weak, which is why Id say you've ranked (along with the fact that you've used an exact match domain) and NOT because of the method you've used.
          This is the standard practice among many profile sellers. Rank a site for "Hippos that need lace stockings" claim that since the database shows 3 million results that the 3 million are "competing" for the term and how powerful profile links therefore are. Then put up a screenshot and close the sale.

          Which means that if Google crawls an online version of Moby Dick (probably will be filtered out for the second word but classic fish tale -hmm okay apparently not). It means that the few hundred times whale is mentioned represents competition for that term :rolleyes:.

          They've been very successful at selling the idea though. I've had senior members who should know better get extremely upset with me when I insist that using a result count says absolutely nothing about competition ( no more that doing a search in any document would tell you what were the most important ideas in the book)
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4232209].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
            Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

            "Hippos that need lace stockings"
            Hilarious dude.

            BTW, theres About 3,830,000 results according to Google.

            Definitely high competition marketplace

            Good night, Im off to bed. See everyone for sh1ts and giggles tomorrow.
            Signature

            BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4232361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HostStage
    I just tried to give you some good tips in case you want to do this linkbuilding method.
    I don`t want to make you believe in my technique. You can test it or you can disapprove.

    I`ve showed only 2 of my sites by PM and of course that i`m not showing all of them. I`m just saying that I DO SEO with profile link buildings and it works !

    I don`t see your point and why we argue on this topic. Go ahead and test my tips and then make your opp.. Do not claim that you do it right since you concede long time ago and didn`t scale it up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4232314].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GregHoggard
    The link juice from the profile backlinks are all coming from PR0 pages and the juice is also spread over all the other profile backlinks on that page. 0 Juice spread over 1,000,000 people is still 0...
    Signature

    Get all your SEO needs from MediaLexus a Virginia SEO Company

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4232329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
    From experience, I can safely say that profile backlinks do work as part of a backlinking campaign. As with many backlinking methods, doing profile backlinks alone won't work, but when incorporated with a proper backlinking campaign I can assure you it definitely does work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4232394].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by MaverickUK View Post

      From experience, I can safely say that profile backlinks do work as part of a backlinking campaign. As with many backlinking methods, doing profile backlinks alone won't work, but when incorporated with a proper backlinking campaign I can assure you it definitely does work.
      Then it becomes a matter of determining what really caused the rankings change. You are merely assuming its the profile backlinks. I won't deny that may give you some link popularity but its a weak affect and there the real workhorse is your other links

      Originally Posted by strategic seo services View Post

      Profile backlinks work, and they work very well..especially when they're dofollow, from a high PR domain, and can be seen without having to login.
      We've discussed this before so at this point I am willing to up the ante. I'll give a $100(or more) to anyone's Paypal account that can show me a competitive search result where profile backlinks work without having to be bolstered by better links. If anyone is game then I'll set the rules up in a separate post and pay out based on the terms in that thread. Deal?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4232633].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        Then it becomes a matter of determining what really caused the rankings change. You are merely assuming its the profile backlinks. I won't deny that may give you some link popularity but its a weak affect and there the real workhorse is your other links
        If it adds some value, then I don't see what the problem is. What you're saying is true for almost any backlinking method except the obvious, more natural methods. It's hard to prove or disprove a method, as it's near impossible to rank for a keyword using only one backlinking method. Google is a clever 'ole fellow.

        I'd love to take you up on the $100 offer, but it would be practically impossible
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4233761].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by MaverickUK View Post

          What you're saying is true for almost any backlinking method except the obvious, more natural methods.
          Negative.

          So you are telling me if I get a hundred blogs to link to me all with contextual links all PR 2 and above I can't rank without some other kind of links?

          Sorry man thats false and obviously false.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4234900].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
            Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

            Negative.

            So you are telling me if I get a hundred blogs to link to me all with contextual links all PR 2 and above I can't rank without some other kind of links?

            Sorry man thats false and obviously false.
            Wouldn't that fall under the 'more natural' backlinks as i mentioned in my earlier post? :p
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4247485].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
              Originally Posted by MaverickUK View Post

              Wouldn't that fall under the 'more natural' backlinks as i mentioned in my earlier post? :p

              You are assuming that a bunch of PR2 links HAS to be natural? lol. You are a newb - but regardless you and others are the ones that took natural backlinks off the table. I never did. Many of you make link building synonymous with running bots because you know nothing else not because that is how SEO is done by everyone.

              However I have no issue with using some profile links. They can do some indexing work and add a bit of popularity but whine about it all you want they are not worth much and their worth is what the thread is about.
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4247831].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
                Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

                You are assuming that a bunch of PR2 links HAS to be natural? lol. You are a newb - but regardless you and others are the ones that took natural backlinks off the table. I never did. Many of you make link building synonymous with running bots because you know nothing else not because that is how SEO is done by everyone.

                However I have no issue with using some profile links. They can do some indexing work and add a bit of popularity but whine about it all you want they are not worth much and their worth is what the thread is about.
                I don't understand you what you're talking about. Read my posts again, it seems you've either lost the plot or are making stuff up as you go along, presumably, to make it look like you know what you're talking about.

                At what point did i assume that a bunch of PR2 links has to appear natural? As mentioned above, you're making stuff up as you go along, why? I don't have a clue - but it's very odd. Refer to my post #39 and then read below.

                You clearly said; "So you are telling me if I get a hundred blogs to link to me all with contextual links all PR 2 and above"

                To which i responded; "Wouldn't that fall under the 'more natural' backlinks as i mentioned in my earlier post?"

                Then you tell me i'm presuming a bunch of PR2 links appear natural? lol.

                If i'm one of these people that "took natural backlinks off the table", then why oh why do i have an authority website in the mobile phone niche, such as at n8geeks.com? Look at those backlinks and try telling me they're not natural backlinks. Good luck with that one.

                Please have a clue what you're talking about before making presumptions that are based on your own deluded conclusions.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4258753].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                  Originally Posted by MaverickUK View Post

                  I don't understand you what you're talking about. Read my posts again, it seems you've either lost the plot or are making stuff up as you go along, presumably, to make it look like you know what you're talking about..
                  Mav people who are hopelessly lost often think that its others that are. Point is very simple. YOU point blank stated that a bunch of contextual links would fall under 'more natural backlinks' and I was merely pointing out to you that such links can be as unnatural as any other. Heres a clue

                  Read what you just quoted and tell me where the word "appear" is used

                  See who is making up things as they go along? As for taking off the table it was in regard to the debate. Since no one ever said they were exclusively talking about artificial backlinking among link building options saying "oh well but thats natural backlinking" makes no point at all.

                  but continue to be lost if you will.
                  Signature

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4259776].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RonnyRaygun
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        I'll give a $100(or more) to anyone's Paypal account that can show me a competitive search result where profile backlinks work without having to be bolstered by better links. If anyone is game then I'll set the rules up in a separate post and pay out based on the terms in that thread. Deal?
        Where do I sign up?
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4234010].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by RonnyRaygun View Post

          Where do I sign up?
          Ronny as a newbie I guarantee you wouldn't win the prize because my idea of competitive and yours would be two entirely different things. the whole profile backlink market takes great pains to redefine what really competitive means to the rest of the SEO world

          When we talk about really competitive we are talking primary keywords not long tail and it has to have real competition not a search result that had nothing but a bunch of profile backlinkers, MFAs and affiliate marketers fighting among themselves for scraps. Also no porn, gambling or other scuzzy terms that google could care less about ranking. Yes those can be competitive but in the same low life way that a street gang can be competitive .

          I am toying with the idea since every time i have asked someone to show me such a ranking they have failed (one of them is in this thread). I guess I haven't done so yet because I think it will be a colossal waste of my time with people swearing that Sony walkman for boys is an ultra competitive term.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4234988].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author RonnyRaygun
            Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

            Ronny as a newbie I guarantee you wouldn't win the prize because my idea of competitive and yours would be two entirely different things. the whole profile backlink market takes great pains to redefine what really competitive means to the rest of the SEO world

            When we talk about really competitive we are talking primary keywords not long tail and it has to have real competition not a search result that had nothing but a bunch of profile backlinkers, MFAs and affiliate marketers fighting among themselves for scraps. Also no porn, gambling or other scuzzy terms that google could care less about ranking. Yes those can be competitive but in the same low life way that a street gang can be competitive .

            I am toying with the idea since every time i have asked someone to show me such a ranking they have failed (one of them is in this thread). I guess I haven't done so yet because I think it will be a colossal waste of my time with people swearing that Sony walkman for boys is an ultra competitive term.
            I appreciate your confidence in me.

            I agree profile backlinks to rank for a term such as 'weight loss' is damn near impossible--unless maybe you spammed the top 10 and reduced their effectiveness somehow. Last I checked, Google does not penalize anything anymore, it merely assigns a value of NULL / 0
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4235403].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author HostStage
            Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

            Ronny as a newbie I guarantee you wouldn't win the prize because my idea of competitive and yours would be two entirely different things. the whole profile backlink market takes great pains to redefine what really competitive means to the rest of the SEO world

            When we talk about really competitive we are talking primary keywords not long tail and it has to have real competition not a search result that had nothing but a bunch of profile backlinkers, MFAs and affiliate marketers fighting among themselves for scraps. Also no porn, gambling or other scuzzy terms that google could care less about ranking. Yes those can be competitive but in the same low life way that a street gang can be competitive .

            I am toying with the idea since every time i have asked someone to show me such a ranking they have failed (one of them is in this thread). I guess I haven't done so yet because I think it will be a colossal waste of my time with people swearing that Sony walkman for boys is an ultra competitive term.
            Show me where you ranked 1st for a competitive keyword only by contextual backlinks from private C class blog network like the one you try to announce in signature ... This will be interesting to see ...
            Because let me tell you what... You can`t just rank competitive keywords with only 1 linkbuilding method plus its not just about backlinks like it was in the beginning of SEO .. there are a hell lot of on-page optimization factors too.

            I`m not saying that profile backlinks IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE Linkbuilding method in SEO and that`s not what we discuss in here, but this method done right is much more effective then a lot of highly priced services such as SenukeX blasts ( after the panda update ) or AMR blasts or SiteWide link from Blog Networks or Directory Submission... etc etc.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4237784].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
              Originally Posted by Bragah View Post

              Show me where you ranked 1st for a competitive keyword only by contextual backlinks from private C class blog network like the one you try to announce in signature ... This will be interesting to see ...
              It would be my young apprentice if in fact I ever did announce such a thing. My sig has nothing to do with a blog network or I wouldn't say it would change everything (blog networks are new to you? we must train more my young Padawan)

              Want to see a serp that doesn't rank on the strength of profile backlinks, blog comments etc. really? You need that? Ok off the top of my head

              Life insurance - top page
              Life Insurance

              have fun with the backlink check.

              plus its not just about backlinks like it was in the beginning of SEO .. there are a hell lot of on-page optimization factors too.
              Cookies and fruits . two different things. this thread is about backlinks.

              I`m not saying that profile backlinks IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE Linkbuilding method in SEO and that`s not what we discuss in here, but this method done right is much more effective then a lot of highly priced services such as SenukeX blasts ( after the panda update ) or AMR blasts or SiteWide link from Blog Networks or Directory Submission... etc etc.
              what in the world are you talking about?? SenukeX IS mostly a profile backlink blaster (sure they added some article stuff but the profiles are still the bread and butter of that program) so you are contrasting two things which are essentially the same. Last time I checked the thread title said "worth" so you can complain all day long at me and others saying they are weak and not worth much because its PERFECTLY in line with what we are talking about.

              and sorry I'll take that link on a blog network with actual on page PR and the directory submission (albeit niche not general - BIG difference) ANY DAY and get much better value for my money all things being equal than a bunch of link arranged in a "wheel" without any actual on page pagerank to speak of.
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4238127].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
                For the few remaining fans of profile spamming, er, I mean backlinking, here's an idea...

                Go to that PR8 .gov/.edu forum and check the actual PR of your profile page. Still a fan?

                Another question...

                How much relevance does a profile link from an abandoned college or government forum on some esoteric topic have to your weight loss splog?

                Here's the math:

                1,000,000 x 0 = 0
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4238375].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author HostStage
                I`m sorry to say but you guys have many things to learn yet... I don`t want to be rude but when we talk about artificial linkbuilding methods you need to consult a totally different forum; maybe that`s why you don`t understand how this linkbuilding works exactly.

                Anyway let me give you some contra arguments :
                @mike : First of all, that`s not your website and it has over 500.000 backlinks according to yahoo site explorer so you have no CLUE how it ranked. It ranks mostly by natural backlinks, natural reviews.
                @John : Linkjuice doesn`t pass that way. You`re way behind SEO game, friend... PR and edu/gov are not the factors you should aim for when you do linkbuilding.
                I`ll try not to follow this topic anymore since I`m very offended by your lack of knowledge when it comes to SEO. All I ever wanted was to give you some tips when you do profile linkbuilding.


                I wish you good luck and happy earnings !
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4238476].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                  Originally Posted by Bragah View Post

                  I`m sorry to say but you guys have many things to learn yet... I don`t want to be rude but when we talk about artificial linkbuilding methods you need to consult a totally different forum; maybe that`s why you don`t understand how this linkbuilding works exactly.
                  LOL. Uh huh. because that site you are referencing can't think of single way to build backliks that isn't artificial to save their lives.

                  Anyway let me give you some contra arguments :
                  @mike : First of all, that`s not your website and it has over 500.000 backlinks according to yahoo site explorer so you have no CLUE how it ranked. It ranks mostly by natural backlinks, natural reviews.
                  Whats that old expression again? Oh yes - Duh!

                  No one said it was my site. You asked to be shown a site that didn't rank on profile links (after erroneously pretending to know what my sig referred to) and I gave you one of the top of my head and sorry but if you can't do research and determine how a site ranks by looking at it and the backlinks pointing at it then you need to shut down ANY SEO services that you claim to be offering and get a book and do some google searches. Claiming that because a site is not yours you cannot tell how it was ranked is total nonsense.


                  I`m very offended by your lack of knowledge when it comes to SEO. All I ever wanted was to give you some tips when you do profile linkbuilding.
                  John is just fine. We all know all you wanted to do was defend what you sell which is understandable but it doesn't give you any right when you can't back up your points to lash out at those who can.
                  Signature

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4238785].message }}
  • Profile backlinks work, and they work very well..especially when they're dofollow, from a high PR domain, and can be seen without having to login.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4232452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roddyfonline
    wow looks like ill try Contextual backlinks lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4233081].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seomilo
    I think its not get the links like other strategy but its work. And its a most simple way.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4233593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnnyPR
    I never backlink my money sites with forum profile links hoping that they will rank them. However I DO use them to backlink my backlinks, which is still very effective IF done correctly.

    Jonathan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4234233].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jushuaburnham
    I am doing so and found out that it helps me increasing my backlinks but for the traffic I don't think it its helpful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4234920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Natlex
    Honestly, I think they suck now. Ever since panda I think they got slapped hard.
    Signature

    ---> My blog on making niche sites & ranking them with SEO for a full time income since 2010 !<----

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4235648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dagaul101
    I still think they are OK, obviously they should be done as a natural progression rather than a mass all at once
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4235837].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamelowe
    Profile forum links are extremely cheap inbound links that really don’t offer a lot of benefit to include in the search engine index.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4235874].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ggmi
    I still do a bit of profile backlinking but just to keep diversification. I think if google just sees high PR quality backlinks it won't look natural.

    I read somewhere, some time ago, that Matt Cutts said that backlinks spread more or less the following way would look natural to google:

    For every PR5 backlink, you should have 2 PR4 and for every PR4, you should have 3 PR3 and so on...

    It sounds logical.

    Now, I know of some people that just needed 10 .edu/.gov high PR backlinks to get their sites indexed and ranked very high, nothing else, but I honestly think that if they don't diversify and add a few low PR backlinks, it won't look natural to google and eventually slap them.

    What do you guys think? Is my diversification theory right? Or should I simply stop using profile backlinking and look for other low PR backlink alternatives?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4236000].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ammi123
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4236364].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by ammi123 View Post

        Yes they are very beneficial use forums for profile backlinks because forums have good PR and they are not spammy so just make login and past your link in homepage.
        You know it is actually possible to increase your post count by making useful posts. Give it a try.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4237074].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by ggmi View Post


      What do you guys think? Is my diversification theory right? Or should I simply stop using profile backlinking and look for other low PR backlink alternatives?
      I think you are wrong on both counts.

      A) there is no such thing as a high Quality backlink coming from a profile link
      b) in the real world there is no given ration of real high PR numbered backlink (which profile links are not anyway) to any other number and I doubt Matt Cutts ever made such a statement even close to that because everyone I have heard it from never provides a link to where he said it .
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4237061].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
      Originally Posted by strategic seo services View Post

      Profile backlinks work, and they work very well..especially when they're dofollow, from a high PR domain, and can be seen without having to login.
      Theres no such thing as a high PR domain. Its called PAGE RANK for a reason. The PAGE has a ranking NOT the domain.

      Why is this so hard for people to understand????????????????
      Signature

      BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tadsam12
    i thought Google like profile links | |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4236316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author simonbuzz
    Banned
    They are worth it but no for long term...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4236873].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RW
    Profiles seem to have been highly devalued and are considered spammy links, I wouldn't waste my time sending them to a money site.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4237998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author owenlee
    Personally i feel Profile backlinks are not as strong as compare to other backlinks method...

    for eg..in an hour i can produce a good 10x blog comments as compare to 100 profile backlinks..the blog comments would fetch much more traffic as i provide valuable content to the readers too..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nysportsworld
    Signature links work with profiles that you use on active forums all other stuff is crap
    Signature
    http://childrenpartyfun.com Mascot Rental for Kids Birthday Parties
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4247749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Dead horse .....whip.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4249869].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roddyfonline
    I started this thread and it turned into world war 3 lol, it proves that ppl have different opinions about backlinks and its worth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4259317].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by roddyfonline View Post

      I started this thread and it turned into world war 3 lol, it proves that ppl have different opinions about backlinks and its worth.
      You needed to have proof that some people on a public board requiring only a username and an email address wouldn't know what they are talking about?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4259793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jimkirk1943
    Doesn`t this just boil down to the fact it all depends on how competitive the keyword your going after is ?

    I really dont want to anger the big gun`s here like Mike A because i really like Mikes threads on here he`s super smart but you dont need to go after the really really competitive keywords to make some good money in IM and if your not chasing the keywords with 1000`s and 1000`s of searches then profile backlinks work fine as far as i can tell.

    I have sites ranking very well by just using profile backlinks so for me they work, would they work along for a highly competitive keyword guess not so the question as to if they still work is still open as far as i can see.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4259800].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by jimkirk1943 View Post

      I have sites ranking very well by just using profile backlinks so for me they work, would they work along for a highly competitive keyword guess not so the question as to if they still work is still open as far as i can see.
      Well the question is not do they work its are they worth it? Fact is on a long tail without much competition there are much easier and cheaper ways to go about ranking that don't have the links disappear.

      Lets take the average IMer. Ok so he pays say $15 month for a list then what? he then pays to have them placed. So those packages for each keyword (or a couple) can run him $15 -$69 conservatively and he ranks on that low volume weak serp. Okay but over time what happens? he loses the links because they get deleted by the forum owner or made nofollow.

      So got to go buy another package and pay to have more links placed. Over time a bunch of people using this end up paying hundreds of dollars. Worth it? No because these are weak long tails that if you got a few links with real authority you would have ranked FOR A LONG TIME without paying anything more and just as easily.

      As a matter of fact for a couple hundred dollars I could get them started on building their own network that they could rank ton loads of long tails but - oh no - it would cost them a little money upfront instead of milking them over and over and over again to the tunes of potentially thousands of dollars over the years.


      So hey worth it long term? No plus frankly you are always looking over your shoulder with profile backlinks. They always being deleted, made no follow and you are always one bot run away from a competitor knocking you out with their next blast.

      oh and apparently now you can get your site penalized for using them as well. as mentioned. Google beginning last month started sending out notices and IMers have begun seeing penalties here and there. The old claim that they can't possibly hurt is proving now wrong.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4261056].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        BTW

        What does rank very well mean anyway? On this board the new sales tool is to talk about first page placement when you can be on the front page and get no more than 4% of the already low search volume for a term. Its been a long long long time since I saw a site in any serp ranking number one just on profile links alone. possible on a very weak term - certainly - but rare last time I checked.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4261198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jimkirk1943
    Hi Mike,
    Pretty killer reply there from you kinda like i knew you would and makes perfect sense not to mention the fact that the thread wasn`t ` do they work` but `are they worth it` which i totally missed.

    You are so correct about having to keep topping the sites up with the profile backlinks too i know this as i am always having to build more and more to keep position but i do get this done cheap as i have a huge list of 1000`s of sites that i have built up over the past few years which when i build a new site i use so i really dont buy many backlink packets although i do subscribe to joe finn`s $5 for 200 backlinks per month packet. As for indexing and creation i have a good network of about 100 web 2.0 sites that get my backlinks indexed superfast and outsource the creation for $15 per 200 profiles.

    Again your correct my niches and keywords are not competitive and for the past couple of weeks i don`t have a number 1 spot i have a #2 and #3 although both have been #1 so right now i`m backlinking like crazy to get them back, just to let you know they have searches at 9000 and 14000 exact per month but are what i would think to be called buyer keywords though and one of the sites is ranking for lots of keywords that each have from 3k to 6k searchers so this site get quite abit of trafffic and is a good earner.

    But after reading your comment i can see that over time this is definitly milking me week in week out $15 here, $15 there, $5 here $5 there your right !

    Now i think its time to move on and create a small blog network of my own to start and use for my backlinking it is costing me alot of $ and time to use profiles so Mike could you tell me how i would start to build such a network of my own you mention you can show me ??

    Best regards Mike,
    Jim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4261649].message }}
  • Just my 2 cents!

    Most of the Angela and Paul backlinks are available and shared on free hosting websites. Many of the packets are passed on and downloaded by 100,000s of people and maybe more.

    Mostly newbie SEO workers start their career with Profile backlinks (3rd world countries). Forum admins BAN IP addresses and submit to spam projects because of profile backlinks. They never get indexed in Google nowadays!!

    How they would help website after so much considerations!!

    Lawrence
    Signature
    We're Getting Page 1 Rankings For All Of Our Clients. Our Own Lead Generation Sites Are Generating Over 100 Leads Per Day. We Get Results. BUT We're NOT Cheap! Do YOU Want To Hire Us? SEO Company
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4261853].message }}

Trending Topics