Page Titles in the SERPs different from SEO plugin?

6 replies
  • SEO
  • |
In the past month I have noticed that a few of my sites that show up in the SERPs for their keyword (the homepage is ranking) Google is just showing the first part of the title instead of the whole title I have set in All in One SEO plugin.

For example....if I have the following for my page title: "Small Blue Widgets - Best Small Blue Widget" then if I do a search for the keyword "small blue widgets" (these also are EMDs as well) the site will only have "Small Blue Widgets" showing as the Page title and not the rest of the title.

I have this same plugin on other sites and they are OK, but like 3-4 of them this is happened recently. I've checked the plugin for these affected sites and everything is OK. I've pinged the sites, updated the xml sitemap, and check the cache date to see if it's old info, but it's usually a day or two ago. So I know Google is crawling these sites, but it's not showing the full page title that I have in the plugin.

When I open the page source the information is the same as the plugin, but in the actual viewing of the SERPs it just shows the keyword that I searched for in the title.

Anyone else having this issue and any way to fix it. It's been a month now like this and it doesn't seem to revert back.

Any feedback?
#page #plugin #seo #serps #titles
  • Profile picture of the author patrich
    That is a new one to me. I use All in One on most of my sites and it has always worked like a charm. Have you checked to make sure that there are not 2 different <title> tags in your theme? This could happen if you had a couple of different seo plugins installed or something.

    Open up the source of the page in your web browser and look for 2 instances of the title tag, starting at the very top down to the </head> tag.
    Signature

    Professional licensing for a variety of careers now available at License Butler.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4803979].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mkl3377
    have you checked the options in the AIO settings. I think if you dont check "rewrite titles" the plugin will use the Site title for all your pages. And if you have it checked it will rewrite the titles to show the individual page/post titles.

    hope that helps
    Signature

    Michael Lee

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4804203].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mrtrance
      Originally Posted by mkl3377 View Post

      have you checked the options in the AIO settings. I think if you dont check "rewrite titles" the plugin will use the Site title for all your pages. And if you have it checked it will rewrite the titles to show the individual page/post titles.

      hope that helps
      Well I have the rewrite titles checked on the ones that are affected and ones that are not. I did notice that the version of AIO SEO plugin that is on sites that are not affected is 1.6.13.3 while the sites that show this issue has version 1.6.13.4 (latest version).

      Anyone else have the latest version and seeing this issue? I might install the old version of the plugin and see if it fixes the issue.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4804809].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author plasaberita
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4806200].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mrtrance
      Originally Posted by plasaberita View Post

      Hello..I have experienced the same thing several times..I'm not good at programming..But..I think it's caused by the theme we use..When i change it then the problem fixed..You may try to change your blog theme and see if it works..
      Well I have the same theme on other sites and they same to be fine. So I don't think it can be the theme here. I'll have to investigate more to see what is really causing this issue. It's weird that everything was fine until like a month or so ago when these set of sites got affected.

      I might go back to the old AIO SEO plugin version for one of these sites and see if that might be an issue.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4808726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SimpleSEOTips
    You sure it's not just Google choosing to display what it "thinks" is the most relevant title:
    Changing a site title and description - Webmaster Tools Help

    Google's creation of sites' titles and descriptions (or "snippets") is completely automated and takes into account both the content of a page as well as references to it that appear on the web.
    Mightn't be this but it's well worth considering as I have noticed this happening for a number my sites with different pages which ranked very well for specific terms.
    Signature

    If you found my contribution to this thread valuable I would encourage you to visit my blog where you’ll find plenty of free SEO tips and recommendations for the best SEO Tools.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4806248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikeavery10
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4806380].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JROC777
      I had the same issue, never did figure it out I checked everywhere and found no answers. Then for whatever reason the problem corrected itself. Changing themes may work as already mentioned but I didnt want that and was lucky it corrected before I made any big changes.

      Perhaps just a bit of time is the answer
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4806691].message }}

Trending Topics