Does pagerank still matter?

by GGurls
36 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Google keeps switching me from a PR 3 and 4... and I know its based on backlinks and how many do follow links you have on your site, but does PR even matter any more? Ppl say a higher ranked page gets you higher results in SEO... but I've seen sites with lower PR beat me in search engine results.. so what really is te significance in pagerank nowadays
#matter #pagerank
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by GGurls View Post

    I've seen sites with lower PR beat me in search engine results
    As the saying goes, "It only happens all the time". :p

    Originally Posted by GGurls View Post

    does PR even matter any more?
    Not to me. I gave up seriously pretending to care when Google gave up seriously pretending to care. And I never cared all that much to start with (and neither did Google, really, though sometimes they pretended to).

    For all the reasons explained in this post.

    Not to mention this post. (Shhhh, I asked you not to mention that post).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5085016].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bostoncitymass
      Nobody really knows at the end of the day what Google likes and doesn't like, and what the hold at the top of the priority list and what they don't. We can only test and make our best educated guesses. In my opinion anything under a PR5 is held with little weight as far as PR goes.

      Just like you said you have seen lower PR pages outranking you. I think that comes down to backlinks and on page seo and domain age.

      Once you crack the PR5 level you can see a pretty significant bump in the serps.

      That being said it seems that Google certainly doesn't adhere to there PR rank schedule. Some say they are supposed to do it every quarter but that doesn't seem to happen. So that might tell you something as to where it is going, but it still has a factor to some degree at this point in time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5085052].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5085061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    The only time it matters at all is if you sell the site and others think it matters. It doesn't matter. I can get to Google's #1 position without pagerank.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5085080].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cardine
    Unless you are selling domains or links, PageRank is useless. It only has importance because people think it has importance.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5085125].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dvduval
    It matters to google or else they would not display page rank. It matters to web sites that sell Services or links that relate to page rank. It matters to purchasers of links or services that relate to page rank. page rank is not dead.
    Signature
    It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5085593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author absolutelee
    It's according to where you're thinking about. PageRank still seems to matter on the pages that backlink to you. Does PageRank matter for your own pages? Not very much at all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5085624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jeffreyhuan
    Page Rank do add value when you want to sell your links or websites. However, it is not important for rankings.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5085662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ProClerk
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5115497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jonnyhardbaked
    Here:

    Does PR Really Matter or Not?


    I merely believe this one...
    Signature

    Acquire an unlimited access to over 2,000 eBooks with unlimited Downloads and resale rights for only $55! Join me now!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5115977].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jonnyhardbaked
      Originally Posted by jonnyhardbaked View Post

      Here:

      Does PR Really Matter or Not?


      I merely believe this one...

      I'll quote my own post..

      READ IT!!!!!!!!!!
      Signature

      Acquire an unlimited access to over 2,000 eBooks with unlimited Downloads and resale rights for only $55! Join me now!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5119867].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Unfortunately threads like this are being used to push the totally false idea that pagerank doesn't matter for anything these days even for link building.


        THATS CATEGORICALLY FALSE and is being pushed by people who do not understand SEO. As Mike Grant indicated your sites pagerank does NOT matter in regard to where you rank but the PR of the links to your page CAN and do matter in regard to anchor text.

        See, your sites pagerank is the total juice of all the links coming into your site but some or even all that juice may have come to your site through links that did NOT include your targeted anchor text.

        That;s important.

        So sure you could have a PR5 and not rank for a term you have no links with anchor text for or someone with less PR to their sites might rank higher than you because they have more links WITH THAT anchor text.

        It happens strictly because of anchor text not because PR no longer matters. In fact for all the years I have been in SEO anchor text has played that vital part - no change. now if you get high pr links and they are targeted to anchor text anyone in SEO will tell you

        THAT MOST CERTAINLY MATTERS

        In other words do not believe the stuff being pushed by some that PR matters nothing at all anymore. It most defintiely does and its the reason why services like BMR, high PR blog networks and countess services based on PR still have great facility in improving rankings.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5200386].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

          Unfortunately threads like this are being used to push the totally false idea that pagerank doesn't matter for anything these days even for link building.


          THATS CATEGORICALLY FALSE and is being pushed by people who do not understand SEO. As Mike Grant indicated your sites pagerank does NOT matter in regard to where you rank but the PR of the links to your page CAN and do matter in regard to anchor text.

          See, your sites pagerank is the total juice of all the links coming into your site but some or even all that juice may have come to your site through links that did NOT include your targeted anchor text.

          That;s important.

          So sure you could have a PR5 and not rank for a term you have no links with anchor text for or someone with less PR to their sites might rank higher than you because they have more links WITH THAT anchor text.

          It happens strictly because of anchor text not because PR no longer matters. In fact for all the years I have been in SEO anchor text has played that vital part - no change. now if you get high pr links and they are targeted to anchor text anyone in SEO will tell you

          THAT MOST CERTAINLY MATTERS

          In other words do not believe the stuff being pushed by some that PR matters nothing at all anymore. It most defintiely does and its the reason why services like BMR, high PR blog networks and countess services based on PR still have great facility in improving rankings.
          I agree with Mike here, and want to say that the whole beginning of this thread was saying that it either was NOT important, or even was not important for YOUR website, only if you "sell backlinks"

          it seems that everyone forgot that internal linking from high PR pages is also going to pass linkjuice, which is also important to some extent in any good strategy
          Signature




          Have a Wonderful Day!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5368772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jacksite
    I think pr still matters. But it's not that important
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5116785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NEseO
    I have said it before and will say it again, "Yes but no", confused???:confused:

    As a rule it does not matter really, you could get a new domains, 301 redirect a high PR site to it and get a high PR, not much point in that unless the domain is related to what you are promoting and you can benefit from its backlinks.

    It only really matter if you consider the backlinks i.e. if you are targting your keywords and getting high pagerank links to your site this will get you up the rankings and in turn increase your PR.

    Hope you understand the "Yes but no" answer now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5117954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prcys
    Banned
    Originally Posted by GGurls View Post

    Google keeps switching me from a PR 3 and 4... and I know its based on backlinks and how many do follow links you have on your site, but does PR even matter any more? Ppl say a higher ranked page gets you higher results in SEO... but I've seen sites with lower PR beat me in search engine results.. so what really is the significance in pagerank nowadays
    As pagerank shows the reputation and quality of the site and people always choose such sites to deal with that are more reputed. And if you want to exchange the links then other will see the pagerank first so at that time it needed. But higher rank matters not for the results as sometime you have seen in the results that it has provided only the relevant and quality results and sometime site shown in the top results do not have the higher rank but just the quality content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5117977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andrewsmith24
    No i don't think so Google don't take seriously because Google is concentrating on quality not quantity.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5118161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mileagedriver
    It doesn't matter but if you want to justify your clients but other than that...there is nothing you can do it PR.
    Signature

    Branded mosquito net from Phifer

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5118220].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HostMafia
    pr dont affect ranking,rankings affect pr .
    its only a measure of knowing your link popularity.
    Dont take it seriously if you are getting high traffic.
    Although pr becomes important factor if you want to sell or buy a domain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5118280].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lokergue
    Yes...This also happens to my site..I have two sites ..one is PR1 and the other is PR3. They both are in the same niche..And the result is the PR1 site get more traffic and better in SERP than the PR3 site..I don't know why this happens..?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5118927].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pal7
    I'm certain that PageRank is still a ranking factor. However, in the Panda update I read that the importance of PageRank has dropped a little and new ranking factors have been added.

    So in conclusion, PageRank does matter in ranking, but to how much extent remains debatable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5200400].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by Pal7 View Post

      I'm certain that PageRank is still a ranking factor. However, in the Panda update I read that the importance of PageRank has dropped a little and new ranking factors have been added.

      So in conclusion, PageRank does matter in ranking, but to how much extent remains debatable.
      SEO is fluid and things always change however I have helped several people on WF recover from panda updates by doing little else but placing high PR links to their page some with slight modifications to their site. Still works well and if it didn't then BMR would not be working this year and it is. Definitely not debatable.

      Coudl I ask that when people claim they read this or that website or textbooks say this or that they actually give some references? I have found 9 times out of 10 those claiming to have read something in fact either never did or misread it.

      unfortunately what some people refer to as high PR links are actually blog comments and yes panda did go after a number of spammy links (however I still see sites doing well with good comments on high Pr pages)
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5200477].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Pal7
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        SEO is fluid and things always change however I have helped several people on WF recover from panda updates by doing little else but placing high PR links to their page some with slight modifications to their site. Still works well and if it didn't then BMR would not be working this year and it is. Definitely not debatable.

        Coudl I ask that when people claim they read this or that website or textbooks say this or that they actually give some references? I have found 9 times out of 10 those claiming to have read something in fact either never did or misread it.

        unfortunately what some people refer to as high PR links are actually blog comments and yes panda did go after a number of spammy links (however I still see sites doing well with good comments on high Pr pages)
        Sorry my bad, heres the reference:
        en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Panda
        Read "The Panda Process" last line.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5200571].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author aygabtu
          I am sure PR is a factor in where you rank in the search results and possibly how much google can charge for ads on your site. Is it the #1 or #2 factor? No, but I think it is still in the top 10. And if google does use it for advertising rates, all the better for you to have a high PR.
          Signature

          Check top 300 Google SERP results free. WhatsMySERP.com tracks and graphs changes for multiple domains/keywords/regions. Also includes advanced keyword density tool.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5200664].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by Pal7 View Post

          Sorry my bad, heres the reference:


          Read "The Panda Process" last line.
          theres my point Pal your reference is an orphaned page on Wikipedia that has no reference at all for claiming Panda demoted pagerank. Its the writers guess and who the writer is and where he got that line without reference is unknown. So its not a reference to anything concrete.

          Now I would agree as the article suggests that on page factors certainly matter more with Panda but the fact of the matter is you can include those factors in your on page and then PR goes right back to mattering big time. The algo has always been layered to on page factors. Off page as PR is for linkbuilding? Have seen NOWHERE that Google has downgraded PR

          Thanks though for the link but as I suspected its not concrete and slightly misread.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5200718].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imran0515
    After the update of google panda Page rank doesnt matter any more
    You just need quality and fresh content
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5200510].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by imran0515 View Post

      After the update of google panda Page rank doesnt matter any more
      You just need quality and fresh content
      newbs and post count posts. Ya got to love em
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5200526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Magnus Koenig
    I think Page Rank doesn't matter too much. If you have a high page rank, it will not guarantee you a high placement on google.
    But it doesn't mean that it's totally worthless. Still, PR plays an important role in determining how often your site is re-indexed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5202312].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by Magnus Koenig View Post

      I think Page Rank doesn't matter too much. If you have a high page rank, it will not guarantee you a high placement on google.

      not really the point. The pagerank of your site does not matter but getting LINKS that have high PR does. two different things that are being confused by both you and Juvv (and unfortunately a host of others)
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5202349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Juvv2096
    you can still rank your website to front page in front of pages that have a higher PR than you. Don't feel like you need to spend time trying to build your PR. Spend time generating good results in Google and also getting people to find your site. That will have WAY more benefits than a pretty number next to the PR button lol
    Signature
    Web 2.0 Explosion - Hand Made Web 2.0's
    Ranks Drop After Blog Network Crash? Get Them Back!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5202346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steffy Rose
    My opinion is still it (Page rank) will be useful.. Just because of Google Spider will crawl your website frequently...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5202750].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ammy Tisdale
    Originally Posted by GGurls View Post

    Google keeps switching me from a PR 3 and 4... and I know its based on backlinks and how many do follow links you have on your site, but does PR even matter any more? Ppl say a higher ranked page gets you higher results in SEO... but I've seen sites with lower PR beat me in search engine results.. so what really is te significance in pagerank nowadays
    I done think so that there is a limit of the dofollow backlinks for the Page Rank. It is all about the relevacy, authority backlinks etc. In advance SEO, i dont think so that still Page Rank matters.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5202843].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kris79
    PageRank is just one of measurements.
    in rankings the most important factor is content.
    If you have highly tageted page for w specific KW you can outrank even higher PR sites that have lots of backlinks, but are not focused on this keyword.

    At least this is my opinion
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5204686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author antony05
    If you're not familiar with Google's pagerank it is a browser plugin that you can install that will give a ranking of 0-10 for every website (10 being the highest), based on a variety of factors, but primarily how valuable the the website is in Google's eyes. Very few websites have a pagerank above a 5, and they're mainly educational, government or well-known, reputable companies (such as Microsoft, Abode and Yahoo). Not surprisingly, Google has one of the handful of websites with a PR 10.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SuppaDave21
    PR does matter, but at the same time it doesn't matter...Ive tested where it tool me almost twice as long, and twice as much work to rank a PR 0 site than it did for me to rank a PR 4 domain for the same kw + whenvever I wanted to rank other related kw's in the PR 4 site it was a heck of a lot easier and faster to rank for
    Signature
    ASK ME ABOUT MY $5 CUSTOM WEB-DESIGN DEAL!!!
    EXCELWEBDESIGN.COM

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vietdesigner
    I think PR is not important anymore. have a website on top with PR 0 it goes against what google says
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5369404].message }}

Trending Topics