Yahoo Site Explorer Alternative

33 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I used to use Yahoo Site explorer to quickly monitor backlinks.

Yahoo Site Explorer has now merged with Big Webmaster tools (which i find doesnt really work properly).

Is there any alternative to yahoo site explorer to check backlinks quickly and for free?
#alternative #explorer #site #yahoo
  • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
    Majestic SEO, but it's not as good IMO.

    The "link:" command in a search will pull up indexed backlinks.

    Also, have you looked for a tool that will go directly to the site and check to see if your link is active? Scrapebox has one built in and it's pretty powerful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5142107].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Welsh Warrior
      Originally Posted by JSProjects View Post

      Majestic SEO, but it's not as good IMO.

      The "link:" command in a search will pull up indexed backlinks.

      Also, have you looked for a tool that will go directly to the site and check to see if your link is active? Scrapebox has one built in and it's pretty powerful.
      Pulls up 56 links for a site that had over 7,000 showing from Yahoo - including far, far more that came from such authority sites as the BBC and various UK newspapers.

      Majestic SEO is better, but the paid option to explore competitors backlinks is too much imo
      Signature

      Learning the ropes

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5158274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rob1123
    SEOmajestic .com I think is where everyone is going now
    Signature

    derp.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5142113].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seogame
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5142186].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author modraideja
      I use ahrefs, majestic seo & opensiteexplorer
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5142381].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author halcolenergy
        Originally Posted by modraideja View Post

        I use ahrefs, majestic seo & opensiteexplorer
        THese are all good but they have limited use if you are not a premium member - they try to make you sign up.

        I am looking for a completely free tool like yahoo site explorer.

        I used to be able to pull the results straight from SEO quake.....
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5146879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Abdul Jabbar
    ahrefs dot com is best. Try it and put thanks button if you like it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5142454].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ageofpwn
    I'd say Majestic is the overall best.

    Here's some others:

    Open Site Explorer. This site is a free tool from SEOMOZ, which produces SEO software.

    Bing Webmaster Tools. Bing offers users a way see their site as the search engine does. It also offers information about who is linking to your site. You do have to sign up with a Windows Live ID.

    Google Webmaster Tools. Of course, Google offers webmaster tools as well. You have to sign in with a Google ID.

    Ontolo. This is a fairly new tool that has come with rave reviews. Ontolo allows you to perform in-depth analysis and prospecting of backlinks.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5142501].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RevSEO
    Yep, you can use Blekko to check for backlinks.

    I did a quick walkthrough of how to check backlinks in Blekko in this thread.

    It's been the best out of all the free, and paid alternatives that I have tried yet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5142615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prcys
    Banned
    Originally Posted by halcolenergy View Post

    I used to use Yahoo Site explorer to quickly monitor backlinks.

    Yahoo Site Explorer has now merged with Big Webmaster tools (which i find doesn't really work properly).

    Is there any alternative to yahoo site explorer to check backlinks quickly and for free?
    As for me google analytics is the best tool to know about the backlinks. Though it will not show the whole link source but it will show you that from which sites you have get more positive response and backlinks for your site. And if you want to check the whole link source then you can add link:yoursitename in search box and it will generate the results with the sites from which you have get the backlinks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5146901].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author outwest
    Majestic SEO seems to me to almost be ridiculous

    it has like 3 to 4 plans ranging from 50 bucks a month (the quotes I saw were in british pounds so not sure the conversion rate) up to like 400 dollars per month

    too rich for my blood just to check backinks and pay that much
    Signature
    Tech article writing .Native English Speaker(with Proof)
    specializing in SmartPhones , Internet security, high tech gadgets, search engines, tech shows, digital cameras.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5147182].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mosthost
      Originally Posted by outwest View Post

      Majestic SEO seems to me to almost be ridiculous

      it has like 3 to 4 plans ranging from 50 bucks a month (the quotes I saw were in british pounds so not sure the conversion rate) up to like 400 dollars per month

      too rich for my blood just to check backinks and pay that much
      $400 a month sounds like its priced for the truly committed
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5147253].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author outwest
        Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

        $400 a month sounds like its priced for the truly committed
        I am sure there are people who that money is justified , I am not quite there yet
        Signature
        Tech article writing .Native English Speaker(with Proof)
        specializing in SmartPhones , Internet security, high tech gadgets, search engines, tech shows, digital cameras.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5147293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrtaxiservice
    I would suggest you to go with open site explorer and back link watch
    Signature

    Mike From

    BgCab.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5147344].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shinebook
      Originally Posted by mrtaxiservice View Post

      I would suggest you to go with open site explorer and back link watch

      Yes Both tools are really worthful for us
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5395011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author outwest
    Open site explorer if that was any good, people would be raving about it
    I have found it , well The Market Samurai says my resort site has 490 backlinks, (it cant analyze anchor text or PR anymore though , now that Yahoo is closed)

    Let me go enter the url into open site explorer we will see how many BL it pulls up , ok wait

    ok the results? 20 Backlinks it shows , from only SIX backlinking domains

    thats total crap, sorry
    Signature
    Tech article writing .Native English Speaker(with Proof)
    specializing in SmartPhones , Internet security, high tech gadgets, search engines, tech shows, digital cameras.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5147382].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bhuff85
      Originally Posted by outwest View Post

      Open site explorer if that was any good, people would be raving about it
      I have found it , well The Market Samurai says my resort site has 490 backlinks, (it cant analyze anchor text or PR anymore though , now that Yahoo is closed)

      Let me go enter the url into open site explorer we will see how many BL it pulls up , ok wait

      ok the results? 20 Backlinks it shows , from only SIX backlinking domains

      thats total crap, sorry
      Weird. I've used OSE on my domains and the results were pretty close to what was showing on YSE before it went under.

      The only drawback to OSE is that they only update their index roughly once per month. So, where you would usually see backlinks in YSE come up fairly quick (within a week or two), you have to wait a little longer with OSE.

      Either way, the tool is free and gives me enough info needed to evaluate backlinks and my competition. Seems like the best free and comparable alternative to YSE at this point.
      Signature
      Want to speed up your writing and save time?
      This book will show you how:
      --> Write Fast: 21 Powerful Ways to Cut Your Writing Time in Half! <--
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5148659].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author outwest
        Originally Posted by bhuff85 View Post

        Weird. I've used OSE on my domains and the results were pretty close to what was showing on YSE before it went under.

        The only drawback to OSE is that they only update their index roughly once per month. So, where you would usually see backlinks in YSE come up fairly quick (within a week or two), you have to wait a little longer with OSE.

        Either way, the tool is free and gives me enough info needed to evaluate backlinks and my competition. Seems like the best free and comparable alternative to YSE at this point.
        how would you compare that to free version of spyglass>?
        Signature
        Tech article writing .Native English Speaker(with Proof)
        specializing in SmartPhones , Internet security, high tech gadgets, search engines, tech shows, digital cameras.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5148704].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bhuff85
          Originally Posted by outwest View Post

          how would you compare that to free version of spyglass>?
          I still have to download that to give it a test run. It looks like a great program though. I see that you're limited to 1,100 links per project. Could be tough to determine real link counts if you're dealing with a medium to high competition keyword. For what I usually do (micro niche + low comp), it may suffice. I'll have to give it a shot and compare the two afterwards.
          Signature
          Want to speed up your writing and save time?
          This book will show you how:
          --> Write Fast: 21 Powerful Ways to Cut Your Writing Time in Half! <--
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5148859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author varshyl111
    We use backlinkwatch so I recommend
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5147575].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SunnyDelight
    Its pretty sad Yahoo Site Explorer closed down. just when i was really getting into IM and SEO. Hopefully a new alternative will come about soon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5148180].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jimbo61
    Majestic is a bit pricey, but if it is data for your own site, upload a file and get it for free. You only pay for data on sites you don't control yourself
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5148200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author outwest
    It seems all the free backlink sites must have been using YSE
    none of them work now
    Signature
    Tech article writing .Native English Speaker(with Proof)
    specializing in SmartPhones , Internet security, high tech gadgets, search engines, tech shows, digital cameras.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5148604].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mileagedriver
    I'm using open site explorer and think that is one of the best *free* tools to find backlinks. Never tried other premium services.
    Signature

    Branded mosquito net from Phifer

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5149035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author elizabethjean733
    Yes it is a sad news for all SEOs that yahoo site explorer is close now but there is no need to worried about it because there are a lot of online backlink checker tools on the web like watchbacklink(dot)com i use it to check backlinks it awesome.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5149036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manocans
    That is a actually a great tool. I used other tool also.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5158287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author halcolenergy
    Seems that they are all paid - shame
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5248249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rsberg
    Paid but cheap - Site Explorer Pro
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5355817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author canadaimmigration
    There are several alternate tools for YSE. One can use opensite Explorer or Backlink watch or Google webmaster Tools. If you can pay, you can go for SEO Spy glass. Great tool at best price.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5395042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Crank
    I'm using free version of SEO Spy Glass now but haven't decided on purchase yet. Did they improved their own database?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5395939].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SteveFox
    Isn't yahoo site explorer closed already? I though its Bing that powers yahoo search.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6417115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AllenBrayan
    I personally use backlinkwatch and opensiteexplorer to stalk the backlinks of my competitor.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6419055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smitholivia
    opensite explorer(seomoz tool) is the best substitute of yahoosite explorer.this tool is paid.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6426693].message }}

Trending Topics