Leaving comments on related blogs

28 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I did this a few days ago as I understand that this is quite useful for relevant backlinks. I found 15 blogs within my niche and left comments on them.

I left very professional and complementary comments about their products but none of the comments were approved. I managed to leave a comment on a site that didn't need approval so did end up with one. I am just wondering if this is always like this - maybe they didn't want to show my comments as my site is in the same niche? Is this typically what happens when you do blog commenting like this or was I just unlucky? The funny thing is that the keyword I was working on in these comments has now improved a fraction but I don't know if this was just a coincidence.

Are there any better ways in which I can be commenting on blogs within my niche and get better results than this?

Thanks.
#blogs #comments #leaving #related
  • Profile picture of the author WriterWahm
    I really understand what you are talking about. When I first started leaving comments on blogs, it was because I really enjoyed the blogs, I was not into IM then. Then I got interested in IM but I had learned the lesson: I left comments because I was interested in what the author of the post had to say. If I was not interested, I did not bother. Don't leave comments just because you want traffic. Be yourself and be honest. Plus, add something of value to the post.

    But maybe you are already doing that. I encountered a blog owner like that. I kept posting on her blog and she never approved them. So I reached out to her on Twitter and her Facebook fan page (she's active on both) and asked why she was not approving my comments. She went back to her blog, read my comments, approved them and profusely apologized.

    You might want to try reaching out to the blog owners too. It would be a great way to build relationships.

    Good luck!
    Signature

    PM me if you want a romantic fiction ghostwriter.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5410439].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
      Originally Posted by WriterWahm View Post

      I really understand what you are talking about. When I first started leaving comments on blogs, it was because I really enjoyed the blogs, I was not into IM then. Then I got interested in IM but I had learned the lesson: I left comments because I was interested in what the author of the post had to say. If I was not interested, I did not bother. Don't leave comments just because you want traffic. Be yourself and be honest. Plus, add something of value to the post.

      But maybe you are already doing that. I encountered a blog owner like that. I kept posting on her blog and she never approved them. So I reached out to her on Twitter and her Facebook fan page (she's active on both) and asked why she was not approving my comments. She went back to her blog, read my comments, approved them and profusely apologized.

      You might want to try reaching out to the blog owners too. It would be a great way to build relationships.

      Good luck!
      That's good advice. I know my personal blog gets so many comment bots that sometimes I'll miss a real human comment. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

      Bloggers get a lot of pitches and most of them quickly tire of of the same old PR approach -- don't pitch them. Drop the blog owner an email, comment on their blog or a post and ask them about the comments. Be real, demonstrate to them that you actually read their blog.

      Regards,
      jim
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5410486].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yangyang
      Dead on, Wahm. Businesses ARE NOT sales. They are relationships.
      Signature

      1. Global Movies Database = $489.95 = 1.5 GB data + 65.9 GB images.

      2. World Hotels Database = $589.95 = 1.54 GB data + 71.4 GB images.

      3. Auto Parts Database = $489.95 = 15.8 GB data + 30.4 GB images.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5410520].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WilsonJ
      Originally Posted by WriterWahm View Post

      I really understand what you are talking about. When I first started leaving comments on blogs, it was because I really enjoyed the blogs, I was not into IM then. Then I got interested in IM but I had learned the lesson: I left comments because I was interested in what the author of the post had to say. If I was not interested, I did not bother. Don't leave comments just because you want traffic. Be yourself and be honest. Plus, add something of value to the post.

      But maybe you are already doing that. I encountered a blog owner like that. I kept posting on her blog and she never approved them. So I reached out to her on Twitter and her Facebook fan page (she's active on both) and asked why she was not approving my comments. She went back to her blog, read my comments, approved them and profusely apologized.

      You might want to try reaching out to the blog owners too. It would be a great way to build relationships.

      Good luck!
      That's so spot on. Don't search for the keywords your targeting and leave comments there. If you have something valuable to add, then go ahead. Else the chances are your comment wont be approved..
      Secondly, some blog admins/owners are too lazy to approve comments as they keep on getting tons of spam in it. So getting in touch with the blog owner and asking is a good idea..
      Signature

      Internet is a dangerous place to live..
      The Best VPN Service helps me secure myself :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5410652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
    Its a numbers game

    But it is still very effective way of building backlinks :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5410443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
    There's a chance that those blogs get so many spam comments that your legitimate comments simply got lost in the queue/deleted.

    When you get 20+ spam comments daily, it's really hard to spot 1 or 2 good ones.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5410602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
    I was having a bit of trouble until I started looking at the homepage first. (Back when I used to manually enter my keywords into Google to find blog posts.) Unfortunately, a lot of blogs are simply abandoned or rarely updated. If there's a recent post (usually within the past few weeks or so) I'll make a comment on it. If approved, I'll then make another comment or two on older posts. Preferably ones with PR.

    This has improved my approval rate a lot. Once a blog owner has approved one of your comments, they're much more likely to approve others. Just make sure you're leaving GOOD comments that add to the post and don't go overboard. Over time you'll have a large list of blogs that you can comment on from time to time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5410986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bermuda
    What you are talking about can happen to everybody, especially nowadays when admins of websites search the net constantly in order to find more and more blogs to leave their comments on. Naturally, the reason why your comments still are not visible is because of the systems admins have activated, posts will be controlled by them, moderating all comments and replies before they appear on pages. This is a standard way of moderating blogs today.

    Try revisiting the blogs once every couple of days to see if some of your posts have been approved by the admins and then your links will be found on sites. Usually, the first time would be a bit difficult because admins still do not know whether you will be a loyal visitor who comments responsibly and with knowledge. With so many spam posts online, moderating blogs through examining comments seems to be logical. Try leaving replies with informative points about the blogs articles.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5411196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bofu2U
    Just try to sort out which blogs look like they're actually maintained, and leave comments on those.
    Signature
    I run a Reputation and Brand Management Agency out of Baltimore, Maryland.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5411870].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hammertorch
      just leave honest comments... don't take it personally if they don't approve your comment...
      Signature
      Live a laptop life style by working home base
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413681].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Moneyland
        Thanks for all the replies. I'll try leaving replies with informative comments and will try contacting the moderators. So what about the Keyword - I use a keyword which then serves as an anchor text link back to my site - I guess this is the right way to do this?

        I think they can see that you want to do this and of course if I didn't leave my link and with my keyword there would be little point in doing this???
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413888].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Maraun
    How about you link to a site where the keyword doesn't matter? You could send link juice to an inner page of yours without keyword attached and then put an internal link from that page to your target page with the relevant keyword. You can use some other external site as proxy, doesn't matter as long as there aren't too many other outbound links on that site.

    The end result is that you now can leave insightful comments on blogs and you can even put your real name there instead of "cheap dog training now!!!". That should skyrocket your approval rate. Of course you loose a little link juice doing this, but you will get much more comments approved more easily which should result in a net win for you, and for the blog owners, too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5414008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stellaex
    usually it happens that webmasters don't approve comments with links in it but if you publish few of them on regular basis and trick some day with a link in your comment then you might be able to get a link. "it works sometimes for me"
    Signature
    Synergist Consultants - Provide help to manage your agency and projects - Agency Management System
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5414068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ramdom123
    I dont use any tool for blog commenting. I do have scrapebox but i find is not that good
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5414076].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
      Originally Posted by ramdom123 View Post

      I dont use any tool for blog commenting. I do have scrapebox but i find is not that good
      Then you're missing out. It's the essential tool for anyone who uses commenting as a strategy. Even if you're never going to use the fast poster it makes finding quality blogs a LOT easier.

      Why do searches by hand, one by one, when you can do thousands at a time? Then sort your results by PR, run them to the blog analyzer tool to find which blogs are open for comments, run a DoFollow check on them if they're Wordpress blogs, check the # of outbound links, etc?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5424685].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eurekapsycrille
    Leaving comments to blogs, related or not, is surely a good link building method if and only if, blog moderators approved your comments. Let's face it folks, technical issues have nothing to do with this one. If the moderator doesn't want to approve comments, then that's it.

    No matter how beautiful your comment is, everything will always come down in the moderators' hand if they want to approve your comments or not. Tips and guides in doing this thing are good, it will quietly increase your chances that your comment might be approved. But again, it will always be on the moderator's decision in approving comments.

    So just leave comments. Say what you want to say and just hope for the best that your comment will get approved.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5414654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PhilippaWrites
    I would advise against hyperlinking any key words in your comment. Unless a post has specifically asked for links in the comments, it's usually a glaringly obvious sign of spam. There's a fairly good chance that the blog owners saw a hyperlinked word or phrase in your comment and deleted it without reading any further.

    Just comment, you can usually have a link in your username. But also don't make your username into your target keyword. Another glaring spammer sign.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5416417].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
      Originally Posted by PhilippaWrites View Post

      I would advise against hyperlinking any key words in your comment. Unless a post has specifically asked for links in the comments, it's usually a glaringly obvious sign of spam. There's a fairly good chance that the blog owners saw a hyperlinked word or phrase in your comment and deleted it without reading any further.

      Just comment, you can usually have a link in your username. But also don't make your username into your target keyword. Another glaring spammer sign.
      Pretty much agree. I NEVER leave my URL in the comment itself. That's basically asking the blog owner to reject your comment.

      However, many are OK with keywords in your name. Though I tend to "mix" them in. So that may be why my approval rates don't drop too drastically. (Ex: Ron From the Gardening Tips Blog, or "Frank From Headphone Reviews," etc.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5418826].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Moneyland
        Originally Posted by PhilippaWrites View Post

        I would advise against hyperlinking any key words in your comment. Unless a post has specifically asked for links in the comments, it's usually a glaringly obvious sign of spam. There's a fairly good chance that the blog owners saw a hyperlinked word or phrase in your comment and deleted it without reading any further.

        Just comment, you can usually have a link in your username. But also don't make your username into your target keyword. Another glaring spammer sign.
        I never have never tried to insert a link into the comments - however my usernamein the title is normally where I would insert my keyword so when approved it would turn into a hyper link. I am just wondering if I didn't insert my KW anywhere how useful the still would still be :confused:

        Originally Posted by JSProjects View Post

        Pretty much agree. I NEVER leave my URL in the comment itself. That's basically asking the blog owner to reject your comment.

        However, many are OK with keywords in your name. Though I tend to "mix" them in. So that may be why my approval rates don't drop too drastically. (Ex: Ron From the Gardening Tips Blog, or "Frank From Headphone Reviews," etc.
        Thanks I think I may try this technique of mixing as you have suggested
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420546].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cagliostro
      Originally Posted by PhilippaWrites View Post

      I would advise against hyperlinking any key words in your comment. Unless a post has specifically asked for links in the comments, it's usually a glaringly obvious sign of spam. There's a fairly good chance that the blog owners saw a hyperlinked word or phrase in your comment and deleted it without reading any further.

      Just comment, you can usually have a link in your username. But also don't make your username into your target keyword. Another glaring spammer sign.
      That is what really works for me!! You are right !

      I NEVER put keywords in the Name field, i just use my full name. As for url links in the post, it is not that bad if other have done it also. Depends on what you say.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5423642].message }}
  • Leaving backlinks on relevant blogs is still a very good strategy. The backlinks are more powerful if they are: dofollow, & originate from domains with a high PR(> 5).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419566].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Diice
      Originally Posted by strategic seo services View Post

      Leaving backlinks on relevant blogs is still a very good strategy. The backlinks are more powerful if they are: dofollow, & originate from domains with a high PR(> 5).
      Julia is right, Backlinks from high PR blogs are well recognised by Googles crawler bots. However the majority of blog owners often use programs or NoFollow links to prevent the link counting for any sort of ranking property.

      They are a great source of traffic sometimes anyway, expecially for a 2 minute post

      Thanks,
      -Michael
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carlamax
    this is really very effective strategy for increasing backlinks....
    but some times people does add your link with your comments...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5422859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carlamax
    this is really very effective strategy for increasing backlinks....
    but some times people does add your link with your comments...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5422866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carlamax
    really very effective strategy for increasing backlinks....i ask how many blog comments required to get 1 ranking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5422872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trevor
    Often times the blog owners in your niche won't approve your comments, because you are their competition. There are a few things you can do, however, to greatly increase your chances of making them approve your comments:

    1. Post on their blogs regularly - Visit their blog from time to time and make relevant and helpful comments every now and then. Don't include links to your site at the beginning, establish a relationship with them and then make new comments with a link to your site.

    2. Don't just chase backlinks or direct traffic, be yourself, always provide value with your comments, this is the best thing you can implement in anything you do in IM!

    - Trev
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5423077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rain21
    maybe they dont like people to come and comment with a link.
    I also faced this problem and now I'm not wasting time for add comments to blog posts. Instead of that I do article posting and book marking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5423584].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rain21
    maybe they dont like people to come and comment with a link.
    I also faced this problem and now I'm not wasting time for add comments to blog posts. Instead of that I do article posting and book marking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5423601].message }}

Trending Topics