day two, SEO Question

11 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hey All,


I'm day number two of putting getting off the forum for hours a day, and putting to use what I'm learning. I'm in the process of ranking my EMT niche site on google.

I've had this question for a while now, and figure this is a good time to ask.

When people say you need to rank your keywords for the site...or rank a site for targeted keywords What all does that entail?

From my understanding it means that you optimize the keyword(s) you want to rank for with on page seo... in short..

Is that correct?

How DO you target a specific keyword and rank it?


Cheers!
#day #question #seo
  • Profile picture of the author jamesrich1
    On page optimization is crucial. It entails...

    Making sure the keyword is...

    * In your title.
    * Your meta description.
    * In H2, H3 tags.
    * The first sentence.
    * The last sentence.
    * Keyword density of 2-3%.
    * Keyword in image under alt keyword.
    * Have a link interlinking to another page on your site.

    Offpage optimization is when it can get pretty time consuming even with tools...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5835205].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NicheDad
    1. optimize onpage SEO (keywords naturally in content, H1 tags, urls, etc)
    2. build backlinks with multiple variations or related terms as the anchor text.
    3. promote via social media for a social footprint.

    These things in turn will help your site "rank" in google searches.
    Signature

    Discuss your favorite cancelled or ended TV shows in a fun friendly community.
    Check out this political debate forum.
    Also run an awesome community where you can get FREE Tech Support.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5835208].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kumaris
      Originally Posted by profitmotive View Post

      1. optimize onpage SEO (keywords naturally in content, H1 tags, urls, etc)
      2. build backlinks with multiple variations or related terms as the anchor text.
      3. promote via social media for a social footprint.

      These things in turn will help your site "rank" in google searches.
      It's #2 I'm confused about ... the build backlinks part.. "multiple variations.." etc can you elaborate? if you can/want to PM me as well that would be cool
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5835229].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DeskCoder
        Originally Posted by jamesrich1 View Post

        On page optimization is crucial. It entails...

        Making sure the keyword is...

        * In your title.
        * Your meta description.
        * In H2, H3 tags.
        * The first sentence.
        * The last sentence.
        * Keyword density of 2-3%.
        * Keyword in image under alt keyword.
        * Have a link interlinking to another page on your site.

        Offpage optimization is when it can get pretty time consuming even with tools...
        The keyword density is a controversial topic here. I prefer around 1%. And having the keyword in the first and last sentence is not THAT big, especially if you want to target multiple similar topics.

        Originally Posted by Kumaris View Post

        It's #2 I'm confused about ... the build backlinks part.. "multiple variations.." etc can you elaborate? if you can/want to PM me as well that would be cool
        It means, for example if you are targeting "dog training", the anchor text of your backlinks should be diversified:
        dog training
        training dogs
        how to train a dog
        dog training secrets

        If all your backlinks have "dog training" as the anchor text, google will penalize you.
        Signature

        Developer by day ... need any development work done (I specialize in .Net and Web Development), send me a PM.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5835321].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sovereignn
        Originally Posted by Kumaris View Post

        It's #2 I'm confused about ... the build backlinks part.. "multiple variations.." etc can you elaborate? if you can/want to PM me as well that would be cool

        Just vary the anchor text

        Dog, Dog training, Dog Groomer etc like said above

        Also make sure you vary the actual type of backlink

        Get some contextual, social bookmarks, high PR, wikis ETC
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5835790].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kumaris
          Originally Posted by sovereignn View Post

          Just vary the anchor text

          Dog, Dog training, Dog Groomer etc like said above

          Also make sure you vary the actual type of backlink

          Get some contextual, social bookmarks, high PR, wikis ETC
          Thank you!

          that's the answer I was looking for....! the types of backlinks... so article submissions... bookmarking... etc.

          Mucho Gracias
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5838912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author radivoj
    I am not really sure so far I have been using SEOPressor and have really good results as you know that Google always changing their rules they may consider over - optimization page that may get you a penalty things that was working yesterday it doesn't mean that work today or it will work tomorrow..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5835275].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketwarrior06
    Banned
    Yes you are right,
    But for me on page is not that valuable like 2010. because Google is now preferring your links and contents of your site. not the other issues. and we all know that once upon a time Google just read meta description, Meta keywords and meta title. but now Google not only read them but also read your real title and other things.
    So make good contents and link your blogs with the high PR sites. that will be really helpful.
    thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5836012].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Kumaris View Post

    Hey All,


    I'm day number two of putting getting off the forum for hours a day, and putting to use what I'm learning. I'm in the process of ranking my EMT niche site on google.

    From my understanding it means that you optimize the keyword(s) you want to rank for with on page seo... in short..

    Is that correct?

    How DO you target a specific keyword and rank it?


    Cheers!
    Good job. Spending time off the forum is the key to taking action and making things happen.
    Yes you are right, it involves optimizing a page for your keyword by setting it up with good on-page seo, and then building high quality backlinks to it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5836087].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nassim0x09
    check out this link adfoc.us/306963873924 SEO TIPS
    Signature

    Earn up to $5 per 1000 visits to your short URLs
    Register Now : http://adfoc.us/?refid=30696

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5838985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamie Lin
    Don't forget to vary your source of backlinks as well to make it more natural to search engines. On-page optimization should be done first because it would be easy to backlink a good optimized site than a bad on-page site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5839125].message }}

Trending Topics