What is an "Authority Site"? and how does it differ from a micro niche site?

30 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi guys,

I keep hearing about authority sites and I can't necessarily find a straight answer. Also, how do these sites differ from micro niche sites?

Thanks!

J
#authority site #differ #micro #niche #site
  • Profile picture of the author jakecoop79
    My understanding is that a micro niche site might be, for example, a 1 to 5 page site on Golden Retriever Training.

    But an authority site might be a 50 to 100 page site about everything to do with dogs.

    The page number examples are exact, just the idea that small number of pages for micro site and large number of pages for authority site.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6312828].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
      Originally Posted by jakecoop79 View Post

      My understanding is that a micro niche site might be, for example, a 1 to 5 page site on Golden Retriever Training.

      But an authority site might be a 50 to 100 page site about everything to do with dogs.

      The page number examples are exact, just the idea that small number of pages for micro site and large number of pages for authority site.
      Pretty much agree. Also, authority sites tend to be at least a few years old. ("Aged and trusted" in Google's eyes.)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6312839].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        Authority sites have content and tons of it.
        Does not have to be the same subject.

        Wikipedia, about, squidoo, hub, etc. are prime examples.

        Just did a dog breeds search and found discovery.com
        mixed in with wikipedia, as well as of course akc.

        Lots of pet sites as well. Pet sites that have authority
        on all pets.

        A microniche site would not need authority and
        probably would not have it. Relevance is different
        than authority.

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6312927].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steadyon
      Originally Posted by jakecoop79 View Post


      But an authority site might be a 50 to 100 page site about everything to do with dogs.

      And also cats.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6312915].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dmtaylor247
      Originally Posted by jakecoop79 View Post

      But an authority site might be a 50 to 100 page site about everything to do with dogs.
      Google sees anything less than 250 pages as a small website.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6313603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    A niche site isn't necessarily small (1-5 pages) but it is tightly focused on a (usually) small niche (think, laptops for students). Niche sites can contain hundreds of pages although most implementations do not.

    An authority site is generally synonymous with a larger site with a slightly broader focus (think, laptops). The intent of a webmaster when building such a site is to become an "authority" on the subject matter, hoping to draw in traffic via a following and not just search.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6312929].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author masterjani
    Authority status comes when a site has useful information with several thousand pages indexed in search engines and the site age has some one to two years old.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6313020].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    An authority site is a site that gets direct/repeat traffic, without searching for any keywods besides it's own domain name.

    Example authority site Google search:
    • warrior forum
    • warriorforum
    • warriorforum.com

    When you start seeing traffic from direct searches for your domain name, your an authority on the niche/sub-niche.

    I'm not trying to brag, but I have a +1k page site that gets a lot of direct searches for my sites domain name & No, my site isn't an EMD.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6313296].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      An authority site is a site that gets direct/repeat traffic, without searching for any keywods besides it's own domain name.

      Example authority site Google search:
      • warrior forum
      • warriorforum
      • warriorforum.com

      When you start seeing traffic from direct searches for your domain name, your an authority on the niche/sub-niche.

      I'm not trying to brag, but I have a +1k page site that gets a lot of direct searches for my sites domain name & No, my site isn't an EMD.
      LOL!!! Good one! I forgot about the WF! Boatloads of authority.
      That's why these threads rank for a plethora of terms.

      Sort of like that Matt Cutts thing with viagra. He mentions viagra
      in a blog post, supposedly, and suddenly he ranks #1 at that
      time for viagra.

      Now that's authority.

      BTW: As of this reply, the WF ranks #9 for
      what is an authority site

      Now that's authority

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6313469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author markowe
    Also, an authority site will typically get crawled in seconds of posting anything new and often be ranking in minutes, like the example Paul gave with the WF. I have several sites like that, beats the hell out of backlinking, I'll tell you :-)
    Signature

    Who says you can't earn money as an eBay affiliate any more? My stats say otherwise

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6313523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author retsek
    Agree with all of the above.

    I'd add...

    You know you're an authority when the keyword tools start reporting volume for stuff like this.

    training my dog mydogsite.com
    how to clean my dog mydogsite.com

    ....which means people now, are not only searching the keywords but they're also appending your domain name to the query because they specifically want to find your page since you're now recognized as the authority on the subject.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6313700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Web Hosting
    To me an authority site is one that is a powerhouse / an authority in its niche. Examples include: Google, eBay, Paypal, Fox News, CNN, Twitter, FaceBook, Amazon, etc etc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6316657].message }}
    • An authority site is a large site that provides comprehensive information about specific topics. Authority sites usually contain hundreds of articles, reviews, and case studies. They can be compared with niche magazines. These websites have lots of quality backlinks and receive large amounts of traffic.
      Signature
      -> Get Profile Backlinks here
      -> #1 Virtual Assistant Service Hire Your Own Virtual Assistant To Work JUST For You
      -> Ezine Articles Service Let Us Build Your Article Portfolio Today!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6323800].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author scottmacair
        Various factors that make a site an authority from google's point of view:

        Age of site
        Quality of on page design & content
        No of pages indexed
        Quality of links pointing to site
        Variety of links pointing to site
        Age of links pointing to site
        Returning visitors

        etc etc
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6324024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ashishvas
    Micro site is one that is easy to create and can get backlinks very easily and then can go for creation of new site
    Authority site has lot of content and is frequently updated in order to connect to readers
    Signature

    Regards

    ashishvas

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6324097].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SamDermot
    Banned
    Authority sites have thousands even millions of pages, millions of visitors daily or monthly as well, you can take example of Wikipedia, About.com, HubPages, WarriorForum etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6324220].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author the goat
      Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

      Wikipedia, about, squidoo, hub, etc. are prime examples.
      For what keywords are these sites authority sites?

      Originally Posted by scottmacair View Post

      Various factors that make a site an authority from google's point of view:

      Age of site
      Quality of on page design & content
      No of pages indexed
      Quality of links pointing to site
      Variety of links pointing to site
      Age of links pointing to site
      Returning visitors

      etc etc
      Did Google send out a newsletter that I didn't get? Could you post some links to some proof that this is really Googles "point of view" when it comes to authority sites?

      Originally Posted by yukon View Post


      When you start seeing traffic from direct searches for your domain name, your an authority on the niche/sub-niche.

      I'm not trying to brag, but I have a +1k page site that gets a lot of direct searches for my sites domain name & No, my site isn't an EMD.
      Could you show me the source you got this from? How exactly is it that you know that Google considers any site that gets searches for its domain name an Authority site?

      Originally Posted by markowe View Post

      Also, an authority site will typically get crawled in seconds of posting anything new and often be ranking in minutes, like the example Paul gave with the WF. I have several sites like that, beats the hell out of backlinking, I'll tell you :-)
      Again, could you link us to the article where Google states that an authority site will get crawled in seconds and ranks in minutes? I'd love to read it.

      Originally Posted by dmtaylor247 View Post

      Google sees anything less than 250 pages as a small website.
      Where is the chart that categorizes and labels websites by arbitrary adjectives in regard to the number of pages it has?

      It really is incredible how many baseless opinions get passed on as facts around here.
      Signature
      Affordable, authority level unique content for 2 cents a word
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6324493].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author retsek
        Originally Posted by the goat View Post

        For what keywords are these sites authority sites?



        Did Google send out a newsletter that I didn't get? Could you post some links to some proof that this is really Googles "point of view" when it comes to authority sites?



        Could you show me the source you got this from? How exactly is it that you know that Google considers any site that gets searches for its domain name an Authority site?



        Again, could you link us to the article where Google states that an authority site will get crawled in seconds and ranks in minutes? I'd love to read it.



        Where is the chart that categorizes and labels websites by arbitrary adjectives in regard to the number of pages it has?

        It really is incredible how many baseless opinions get passed on as facts around here.
        Seriously you need to chill the **** out. Google has no official point of view about large sites or small sites. They'll tell you it's all the same. But clearly their algo favors sites that have built-up brand signals. What brand signals are you going emit with a small 5 page site ?

        No where did those guys say that Google "states" anything. Their opinions are obviously based on their experience with authority sites and as you can see that opinion is shared by many here who have such sites including myself.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6324741].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author the goat
          Originally Posted by retsek View Post

          Seriously you need to chill the **** out. Google has no official point of view about large sites or small sites. They'll tell you it's all the same. But clearly their algo favors sites that have built-up brand signals. What brand signals are you going emit with a small 5 page site ?

          No where did those guys say that Google "states" anything. Their opinions are obviously based on their experience with authority sites and as you can see that opinion is shared by many here who have such sites including myself.
          Actually they did claim Google "states" things, go back and read their posts. What you say they didn't do is exactly what they did with statements like: "Google sees..." "From Googles point of view..."

          What is it that makes you think I am not chill? I am just pointing out some facts in a very civilized manner.

          Any person who claims to know exactly how Google sees, counts, or judges things should have no problem showing us the source of that information before we are expected to take it as fact.

          I am not angry, therefore I don't need to "chill", it is perfectly natural for someone to question someone who claims for instance "Google sees anything less than 250 pages as a small website". That is a non subjective claim where the poster is asserting that he knows for a fact that Google does this, and that is the number they use. Why do you have a problem with me asking for a source that proves his statement? Is everyone supposed to just believe everything they hear on the internet?
          Signature
          Affordable, authority level unique content for 2 cents a word
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6324829].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author think more
            A micro niche site is a little website that contains only few pages and micro niche site only focus on specific niche.But Authority site is a large site that discuss various topics.
            for example If you have two websites.Fist site is only about Asian recipes and another site contains information about various foods such as Asian,Chinese,European,Arabian recipes.Here the micro niche site is the first one and second one is the authority site.
            Signature
            =======================================
            I Can Deliver You 2 Whiteboard Animation Video for $5
            =======================================
            ======= 6 Tips to Boost Your Email
            Marketing Campaign ========

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6324953].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by the goat View Post

        Could you show me the source you got this from? How exactly is it that you know that Google considers any site that gets searches for its domain name an Authority site?
        Nope, I get my data from my own sites & non-stop testing.

        An authority site is more than just what Google thinks is an authority on a niche. What I posted above is based on real human search queries & my own sites data over the last few years.

        Authority as far as Google SERPs is multiple things (examples):
        • Google Sitelinks on internal pages
        • Ranking multiple internal pages per keyword

        Again, these are based on my own testing, I read very little about SEO. Most of what you read on public web pages is basic SEO, I was bored with basic SEO years ago. If I see something in the SERPs that I like, I reverse engineer what I've found & do my own testing on my own sites & repeat...

        Ultimately the traffic needs to know your an authority on the subject, Google is easy to impress, traffic takes more work.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6328588].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    Although goat came off a bit passive aggressive, I don't think there was too much wrong with his line of questioning.

    There are many cases where folks state things as fact when, in fact, it is just conjecture. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with questioning things like it when encountered. I think it can spur very good debate.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6328392].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author the goat
      Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

      Although goat came off a bit passive aggressive, I don't think there was too much wrong with his line of questioning.

      There are many cases where folks state things as fact when, in fact, it is just conjecture. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with questioning things like it when encountered. I think it can spur very good debate.
      I do come off as a jerk sometimes but it is just so frustrating to hear people casually state completely baseless opinions with no factual proof and expect them to be taken as truth. Google and SEO are the only thing that people just feel free to lecture on just because they heard something somewhere once.

      I only picked out a few, bu if one were to go back and carefully pick them out I bet there are over 50 claims of fact that are total and utter bull**** in this thread.

      Again, not trying to be jerk or call people out personally, I just really think people should be more responsible about what they pass off as truth on this forum.
      Signature
      Affordable, authority level unique content for 2 cents a word
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6328815].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by the goat View Post

        I do come off as a jerk sometimes but it is just so frustrating to hear people casually state completely baseless opinions with no factual proof and expect them to be taken as truth. Google and SEO are the only thing that people just feel free to lecture on just because they heard something somewhere once.

        I only picked out a few, bu if one were to go back and carefully pick them out I bet there are over 50 claims of fact that are total and utter bull**** in this thread.

        Again, not trying to be jerk or call people out personally, I just really think people should be more responsible about what they pass off as truth on this forum.
        Are you referring to me or my comments above?
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6328895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mcatt
    I thought it was a site related to your keyword that is a higher page rank with lots of content? That's what I was taught anyway.
    Signature

    Family Time Cleaning
    8723 Huntfield st
    Tampa, Fl, 33635
    (727) 742-5677
    http://familytimecleaning.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6328457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brendan Carl
    An authority site is a big site that covers a whole niche (like camping in general). A micro niche site is targeted to one subniche (or even one product - like camping tents or one specific type of tent).

    Also, authority sites have much more posts/articles/information. Micro niche sites usually have below 15 articles.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6328502].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author the goat
    No you added actual first hand experience to back up your theory which is greatly appreciated. I am talking about when people claim they know Googles "point of view" etc.
    Signature
    Affordable, authority level unique content for 2 cents a word
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6328932].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rhadoo7
      I agree with most of the replies above, but here is my point of view on this:

      Actually you can't compare an authority site with a nice site because they are 2 different things. It's just like comparing a dog with a cat instead of comparing a big dog with a small dog, and a big cat with a small cat

      We can say that there are authority sites (huge websites with thousands of articles, links, visitors etc) and small sites.

      On the other hand, we can have general topic websites (for example a "carpentry" website) and nice or micro-niche sites (a site on "How to Build a Rabbit House for Big White Rabbits with Black Tail")
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6330752].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author scottmacair
        Google doesn't reveal much and they certainly don't send out letters!

        Every view is subjective when it comes to google's algo as nobody knows any details about the exact mechanics of the algo which is constantly changing.

        I assume most people here understand this and views are simply an opinion?

        So you can read people views and opinions or not - it's up to you. I don't see anyone claiming to know exactly how the latest algo works.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6330790].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
          Originally Posted by scottmacair View Post


          I assume most people here understand this and views are simply an opinion?
          You may know this and I may know this but many, many newbies do not. They assume because they are in an IM forum that everything said must be fact unless stated otherwise.

          Like I mentioned earlier (and goat agreed), he came off a bit harsh but he did make some valid points: "in Google's view" and "Google sees things as" do come off as "facts" to someone who is uninformed. I think that's the kind of stuff he was referring to.
          Signature
          Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
          CLICK HERE FOR INFO
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6330830].message }}

Trending Topics