I will be using Wordpress MU to manage the different sites... So I was thinking about registering one domain and then creating a subdomain for each, for example:
SITES IN THE NETWORK: birds.pets(dotcom)
But I have a few questions that I haven't gotten answers to yet:
- Will it rank as good as TLD's?
- Does each site in the network effect one another when it comes to ranking? (if so... in a good or a bad way?)
- Lets say I get penalized by google for something for birds.pets(dotcom), will it effect some of my other sites in the network like dogs.pets(dotcom) for example? And if for the main site pets(dotcom) gets penalized... will all the sub sites suffer from it too? Or does google treat them each completely separately?
- I want like 15 different sections on the site, so it will cost a lot to purchase so many domains... if I start off with a subdomain each, and then map domains to some of them later as they become more popular... can it have any negative effect? Is it best to start with TLD's from the beginning?
- Because Wordpress MU uses domain mapping.... If I use a different domain for each site, will google treat them differently or does google see them as part of the main site even though they have TLD's. Same concerns as in question 3.