17 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Is putting a sitemap on my site a good idea? I've read conflicting info on this. THX.
If so, is the footer a good spot for it?
#sitemaps
  • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
    I wouldn't do it, unless you're doing this for better user experience. Use Google XML sitemaps for search bots.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kevinhq
      Originally Posted by bnetwork View Post

      I wouldn't do it, unless you're doing this for better user experience. Use Google XML sitemaps for search bots.
      Additionally, as far as I know, there are two kinds of them.

      Sitemaps for search engine, which usually in XML format.
      And sitemaps for human /visitor. Usually it's a HTML sitemaps.

      From my point of view, sitemaps will do increase user experience. However, it may be considered as a page where it contains only link (link-farm?).
      To avoid such bad effect before search engine such Google, what about make that page not indexable ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170628].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bosspulsa
        Originally Posted by kevinhq View Post

        Additionally, as far as I know, there are two kinds of them.

        Sitemaps for search engine, which usually in XML format.
        And sitemaps for human /visitor. Usually it's a HTML sitemaps.

        From my point of view, sitemaps will do increase user experience. However, it may be considered as a page where it contains only link (link-farm?).
        To avoid such bad effect before search engine such Google, what about make that page not indexable ?
        Yes I Agree, and In wordpress for both needed you can use plugin... its so simple to do...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170634].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HorseStall
      Sitemaps are simply "road maps" that search engines can use to navigate their way through the various parts and sections of a website. The sitemap essentially tells the search engines where the various pages are located on the site. This is particularly important for websites that have multi-level navigation, which automated spiders might have difficulty with.

      In's and Outs of Sitemaps - Ins and Outs of Internet Sitemaps
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cybexindia15
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170645].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bosspulsa
      Originally Posted by cybexindia15 View Post

      Sitemap.xml and .html both are use for SEO.
      I dont using these at all of my websites, i will try to using these
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170655].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kevinhq
      Originally Posted by cybexindia15 View Post

      Sitemap.xml and .html both are use for SEO.
      but there's an opinion that :

      .html sitemaps will not increase your SEO.
      Because it can be considered as a page with links only (if I'm not mistaken, the one called link-farm).
      And Google hates such page.

      However, such page existed on my site.
      And Google crawled and indexed it.
      So, personally I don't totally agree with statement : .html are use for SEO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170750].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bosspulsa
        Originally Posted by kevinhq View Post

        but there's an opinion that :

        .html sitemaps will not increase your SEO.
        Because it can be considered as a page with links only (if I'm not mistaken, the one called link-farm).
        And Google hates such page.

        However, such page existed on my site.
        And Google crawled and indexed it.
        So, personally I don't totally agree with statement : .html are use for SEO.
        Hap!! Both are not same opinion... What is wrong and What is right...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmantz
    In my WP blog I have a sitemap plugin to automatically submit to search engine but don't have a link of it in my webpages.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170678].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author engagedotscrm
    The principal advantage of using site map is notify to google that your site is updated
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7170809].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Microsys
    Maybe this sitemaps epxlanation page can help clear up some confusion:
    Sitemap Comparison of Text, HTML, ROR, RSS and XML Sitemaps

    HTML sitemaps = for humans + distribute link juice
    XML sitemaps = help search engine index more faster of your important pages
    Signature
    A1 Website Analyzer - Fix broken links, duplicate titles and headers, custom text search, link sculpting...
    A1 Sitemap Generator - Create sitemaps including text, xml, video, image, mobile, news and visual
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7177396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeremiahSay
    There are virtually 2 kinds of sitemap. Both seems pretty harmless though.. I have both on my website.

    1) Sitemaps for visitors: To make it easier for your end-user to explore and search your site.

    2) Sitemaps for search engine: Commonly known as XML sitemap. Able to help you get your content index faster. Instead of taking weeks or months, it now only takes hours or days at most.

    Hope this help,
    Jeremiah
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7177687].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author elrae
    You should have both an XML and HTML sitemap on your site. They are a good way for search engines to find out when you add a new page to your site and get that new page indexed quicker. Think of it as a table of contents for your site, both users and search engine spiders can find them useful. Google will not view the sitemap as a link farm, they can tell by the URL that it's not one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7177894].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kevinhq
      Originally Posted by elrae View Post

      You should have both an XML and HTML sitemap on your site. They are a good way for search engines to find out when you add a new page to your site and get that new page indexed quicker. Think of it as a table of contents for your site, both users and search engine spiders can find them useful. Google will not view the sitemap as a link farm, they can tell by the URL that it's not one.
      wow, glad to know that, since I provide HTML site maps on my site too.
      I made its title as "Table of Content"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7183380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoexpert947
    Benefits of sitemap:
    1. a better crawl from Google, since you have told it which pages to crawl also help in promoting your site
    2. a reports on get traffic from Google
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7223480].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    I got both, I dont understand why an on site sitemap would be considered a link farm if all the links are pointing internally.
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7229113].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AgustinMay
    single main sitemap...is there any need to add those all sitemaps into root directory or add only main sitemap.xml into root directory
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7259932].message }}
  • Originally Posted by lutherlars View Post

    Is putting a sitemap on my site a good idea? I've read conflicting info on this. THX.
    If so, is the footer a good spot for it?
    Hi Lutherlars,

    Yes. Putting a sitemap on your site is definitely a good idea.

    The footer is a good spot to link to your sitemap, if that's what you mean. You should have a link to your sitemap on every page of your site.
    Signature
    @xxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::> IM COUPONS <::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::}]xxxx@
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7259943].message }}

Trending Topics