My first stab at a Wordpress site for local business

24 replies
  • SEO
  • |
This is my first attempt at a Wordpress site and I'd really like to rank this site in Oklahoma City for the keyword "Locksmith Oklahoma City" Locksmith Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City Locksmith Service Open 24 Hours

Any suggestions? It's a new site so I realize that it won't happen over night.
#business #local #site #stab #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Good luck with that. Google literally hates the locksmith industry.
    Signature
    New Private Mastermind Group Discussing SEO, Local SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and more -
    Open for A Limited Time!

    Request to Join
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959255].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Trivum
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      Good luck with that. Google literally hates the locksmith industry.
      And yet in every single city they give somebody the top spot for "locksmith." Odd.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959265].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by Trivum View Post

        And yet in every single city they give somebody the top spot for "locksmith." Odd.
        Whatever. Try to register a new locksmith business in Google Places and let me know how that goes for you.

        The term "locksmith" is not allowed in Google Places.
        Signature
        New Private Mastermind Group Discussing SEO, Local SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and more -
        Open for A Limited Time!

        Request to Join
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959277].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Trivum
          Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

          Whatever. Try to register a new locksmith business in Google Places and let me know how that goes for you.
          If you're saying it's a competitive industry, that's one thing. But saying Google hates the industry doesn't make any sense. It's not like people type in "locksmith" and Google returns results for "pastry chefs" because they hate locksmiths.

          Are you trying to tell the guy that spammy SEO tactics won't work?

          I just don't get what you're saying.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959285].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
            Originally Posted by Trivum View Post

            If you're saying it's a competitive industry, that's one thing. But saying Google hates the industry doesn't make any sense. It's not like people type in "locksmith" and Google returns results for "pastry chefs" because they hate locksmiths.

            Are you trying to tell the guy that spammy SEO tactics won't work?

            I just don't get what you're saying.
            I'm saying that it is much tougher to rank because it is a shady industry and Google knows this. They have banned the term "locksmith" from Google Places. If you try to enter a business into Places using that word it is rejected. The industry is filled with all kinds of scum suckers. Imagine the online pharmacy industry... those are the kind of people in the locksmith industry. I'm not saying the OP is a scammer. I'm saying his line of work is full of them.

            It is so bad that Google took manual action against the entire industry. Look it up.

            Unlike other businesses, you cannot get into Google Places directly. You have to get into every other local directory and hope that someday Google picks that up and decides to create a Places listing that you can then claim.

            Without a Places listing, it is a lot harder to rank locally versus your competition.
            Signature
            New Private Mastermind Group Discussing SEO, Local SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and more -
            Open for A Limited Time!

            Request to Join
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959303].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Trivum
              Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

              I'm saying that it is much tougher to rank because it is a shady industry and Google knows this. They have banned the term "locksmith" from Google Places. If you try to enter a business into Places using that word it is rejected. The industry is filled with all kinds of scum suckers. Imagine the online pharmacy industry... those are the kind of people in the locksmith industry. I'm not saying the OP is a scammer. I'm saying his line of work is full of them.

              It is so bad that Google took manual action against the entire industry. Look it up.

              Unlike other businesses, you cannot get into Google Places directly. You have to get into every other local directory and hope that someday Google picks that up and decides to create a Places listing that you can then claim.

              Without a Places listing, it is a lot harder to rank locally versus your competition.
              All that makes sense. And I'm sure the OP appreciates it.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959332].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author wingman7
                I agree that the best place for links in the early stages is the local directories. Google doesnt own the world yet...although its trying pretty hard.

                Try ranking for related terms like "doorhandles", "security systems", vehicle repair etc.

                Check competing businesses and see how they rank for their targeted keywords.

                Then there is the offline world. A well written article sent to your local newspapers about "how to protect your home" or in the business papers "new ways to secure cash in your business". Even putting these up in places like ezine articles can generate traffic.

                Talk about the function and focus on the benefit of what your client does. "keep your children safe", "sleep peacefully at night", "when your home has been invaded how do you protect it next time?".
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959367].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author blairlockout
                I'm aware of the Google Places issue, but I didn't ask about that. I want to rank my website LOL! I've added KML, Schema Markup, And GeoRSS.

                Oh BTW, I'm not a "Scum Sucker" as mentioned. I am a licensed locksmith here in Oklahoma.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959371].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
                  Originally Posted by blairlockout View Post

                  I'm aware of the Google Places issue, but I didn't ask about that. I want to rank my website LOL! I've added KML, Schema Markup, And GeoRSS.

                  Oh BTW, I'm not a "Scum Sucker" as mentioned. I am a licensed locksmith here in Oklahoma.
                  Your Google Places account gets tied to your website for local rankings. Click on any Google Places listing and you are taken to that company's website, not their Google Places listing.

                  Like I said, you are fighting a tougher battle because of the nature of the industry. Not saying it's fair, but it is the way it is.

                  Go crazy with citations and hope that Places creates a listing you can claim.

                  I'm sure you are not a "scum sucker", but unfortunately Google has decided to rope the whole lot of you together.
                  Signature
                  New Private Mastermind Group Discussing SEO, Local SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and more -
                  Open for A Limited Time!

                  Request to Join
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959378].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CleanSEO
    Banned
    It's an answer machine. They have to give some answer to your question, makes them look bad if they just smile and shrug. But Mike's right, uphill battle. To say that Google isn't harder on some industries than others is just being naive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959272].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CleanSEO
    Banned
    Google has their reasons. From the NY times....

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/yo...gler.html?_r=0
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CleanSEO
    Banned
    @OP I'd be looking at offline marketing, maybe mobile marketing too. Inclusion in coupon books, new resident welcome packages, card distribution. The Google route is going to be a lot of banging your head against the wall. And anyways if I'm locked out of my car I'm not going to Google you if I have a number to call. Is your card in my wallet? Do I have a key chain with your number on it? How am I going to find you?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blairlockout
    Like I said. I'm not interested in Google Places. Locksmithoklahomacity.com is ranked #2 for the term "locksmith oklahoma city" and does not have a google places listing, yellowpages is ranked #1. I'm interested in organic results. Screw the Google Places stuff for now its a lost cause for a mobile locksmith.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CleanSEO
    Banned
    Ahhhh in that case: Mr. Locks - Your 24 Hour Locksmith in NYC

    That's the top locksmith in New York City. How do you think your site compares?
    We don't have to go that far, look at www . 24hrlockouts oklahomacity. com/

    That's the guy sitting where you want to be. You need a web designer or you need more content to offset the design but just know that you have a hard uphill battle ahead and you still won't touch those top spots bc they are Google Places. Your ROI here makes me think you'd be better off duking it out offline.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CleanSEO
    Banned
    Locksmithoklahomacity.com has 33 indexed pages of content you have... 4 and only one of those (your homepage) has any real amount of text on it (less than 400 words) Soooo... you have a ways to go. Not even going to check their link profile because I think it's safe to say they are beating you there too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blairlockout
    I'll pay the money for a PROVEN seo company to help me. It seems than anyone and everyone can call themselves a SEO expert these days.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CleanSEO
    Banned
    Plenty of good SEOs out there. Ask around. You might have a little trouble getting a reputable company to take you on, it's just the truth. If they do they are going to tell you the same things you are reading in this thread. Nobody is attacking you, I know it's tough. I know that the last time you came to ask for an opinion on your site folks were pretty hard on you, maybe too hard. But this is a very complicated niche. Mike Friedman is probably the most respected Local SEO on this board. He's the Local SEO guy here. If he says you are going to have trouble then that's what it is. Free advice, think about it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blairlockout
    Well if I'm going to have trouble I guess I'll just quit and close down my business. LOL. I love trouble. If it wasn't a challenge I probably wouldn't be interested.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959614].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CleanSEO
    Banned
    Nobody is telling you to quit. Giving you good, sound, free advice You can get mad but that just creates another job for you: get over it. You wanted critique on your site right? You got it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7959689].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shegrot
    i think it depend on what you really want to do, if you rank that keyword and your content are diferent from your key word that will be another problem, my advise is you should try and re-search the keyword from google before you use it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7961202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pepes4329
    @blairlockout Hey it looks like you updated your website looking good
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8156528].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wanttruth2
      It's a pretty competitive term and at least 3 of the websites on the first page have a strong link profile. They can be beat if the SEO is done properly but to outline what it would take in a forum post would not do it justice. If you are still trying to rank this site let me know and we can chat on the phone about it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8212997].message }}

Trending Topics