how to determine spammy backlinks?

19 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I've recently been hit hard by the new google update...

Going from ranking number 1 to virtually non existent for the keyword pc cleaning on google.co.uk

Can someone give me some advice about how to tell what back links definitely need to be removed with the disavow tool?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.
#backlinks #determine #spammy
  • Profile picture of the author GodMode52
    I seriously doubt that someone has that much free time to go through your spam. Instead wasting your time take the golden advice I gave you yesterday and take action. Get a new domain and rank it back.

    If your company has been estabilished in 1980 for real don't be cheap and get some real SEO done on your site.
    Signature

    Want Google Page ONE Rankings? [YES] [NO]

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106452].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1stcompucare
      Yes but I would like to keep the same domain... because it has my brand name ... I suppose I could use .co.uk... But I am still ranking for some keywords on .com... Is not possible I could restore my ranking if I just remove these spammy links?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    I see over 3500 backlinks in Ahrefs. That means in reality there is probably at a minimum 12,000 backlinks pointing to your site.

    I do not think you are going to find anyone who is going to go through all of those for you for free.

    I have done projects like that. They take a huge amount of time.
    Signature

    For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106474].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1stcompucare
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      I see over 3500 backlinks in Ahrefs. That means in reality there is probably at a minimum 12,000 backlinks pointing to your site.

      I do not think you are going to find anyone who is going to go through all of those for you for free.

      I have done projects like that. They take a huge amount of time.
      Ok I appreciate that, could anyone point me to some information that will help differentiate a definite spammy link as opposed to a good link... I know web 2.0s and such are generally good as long as their content is unique... most web directories are bad ... especially if unrelated to your niche... and it's better to have no anchor matching ur targeted keyword...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106490].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by 1stcompucare View Post

        Ok I appreciate that, could anyone point me to some information that will help differentiate a definite spammy link as opposed to a good link... I know web 2.0s and such are generally good as long as their content is unique... most web directories are bad ... especially if unrelated to your niche... and it's better to have no anchor matching ur targeted keyword...
        Not really true about the anchor text.

        As for web directories, outside of really popular local ones like FourSquare or BrownBook, if they are auto-approve, they are probably junk. If you have to pay in order to be reviewed for possible inclusion, it is probably a worthwhile directory.

        Blog comments, most sidebar and footer links, wiki links (not from Wikipedia), article directories... that kind of stuff is trash.
        Signature

        For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106513].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author 1stcompucare
          Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

          Not really true about the anchor text.

          As for web directories, outside of really popular local ones like FourSquare or BrownBook, if they are auto-approve, they are probably junk. If you have to pay in order to be reviewed for possible inclusion, it is probably a worthwhile directory.

          Blog comments, most sidebar and footer links, wiki links (not from Wikipedia), article directories... that kind of stuff is trash.

          even ezine articles and guest articles on blogs?

          Are these the only bad links I have to be looking for ?

          Links coming in from poor quality/spammy sites
          Disproportionate anchor text links
          Links from blog networks
          Links from paid posts
          Links from dead & rotting directories
          Links from irrelevant & ‘untrustworthy’ sites
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106515].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
            Originally Posted by 1stcompucare View Post

            even ezine articles and guest articles on blogs?
            Guest articles on good sites are fine. If the site advertises that they accept guest posts, they are probably garbage.

            Ezine, you will hear different things about. I think they are crap, but others will tell you they are fine. At best, they are the King of Turd Island.
            Signature

            For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106531].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 1stcompucare
    I will try and rank up my .co.uk domain as a back up plan... however won't I need to write completely unique content for the .co.uk domain? I can't simply copy over the content from .com to.co.uk... because it might be recognised as duplicate content... plus I still want to see if I can restore my SERP for the .com domain... as I believe it may be possible if I just optimised the on site content and removed the spammy back links... and focussed more on white back linking techniques...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GodMode52
    I know that's not my business but can I ask your rough monthly income from your business?
    Signature

    Want Google Page ONE Rankings? [YES] [NO]

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106506].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1stcompucare
      Originally Posted by GodMode52 View Post

      I know that's not my business but can I ask your rough monthly income from your business?
      I would rather not disclose that information, sorry.

      If I was to decide to make a new domain and I transferred the content from the old domain to the new one. Would there be a risk of it being recognised as duplicate content? I would make sure I deleted the content from the old domain, but I'm worried about google indexing the old domain still...

      Is it really best to start from scratch since I am still ranking for some of my targeted keywords and I just think If I remove the spammy links and adjust my anchor text distribution I might be able to restore the rankings....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GodMode52
    I don't wonna sound rude but your lack of ''business mindset'' is amazing. No, it's not reccomended to recycle your old content, you can get decent content for 1$ x 100 words.

    Use your time to do what you KNOW to do , you clearly don't know what you are doing with this site and you keep insisting wasting your time and you will continue for weeks/months for nothing.

    I checked out your competition and your keywords are far from being ''competitive'' , now ask yourself :how much do I value my time?

    1) Remove the link from your signature as you are basically spamming (again) your site with it

    2) Get a new domain

    3) Get fresh decent content

    4) Get some real SEO done on your site, you can achive page 1 in less than 2 months again

    5) Value your time and do what you know to do

    6) Don't be cheap

    Good luck
    Signature

    Want Google Page ONE Rankings? [YES] [NO]

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106664].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1stcompucare
      Originally Posted by GodMode52 View Post

      I don't wonna sound rude but your lack of ''business mindset'' is amazing. No, it's not reccomended to recycle your old content, you can get decent content for 1$ x 100 words.

      Use your time to do what you KNOW to do , you clearly don't know what you are doing with this site and you keep insisting wasting your time and you will continue for weeks/months for nothing.

      I checked out your competition and your keywords are far from being ''competitive'' , now ask yourself :how much do I value my time?

      1) Remove the link from your signature as you are basically spamming (again) your site with it

      2) Get a new domain

      3) Get fresh decent content

      4) Get some real SEO done on your site, you can achive page 1 in less than 2 months again

      5) Value your time and do what you know to do

      6) Don't be cheap

      Good luck
      And exactly what do you consider real SEO? on site optimization, content marketing,natural link building web 2.0s etc?

      I thought they keywords pc cleaning, computer cleaning, data centre cleaning and server room cleaning... were quite competitive... I used google keyword tool... I guess I was wrong though if you say differently.

      I'm sorry that you feel I don't have an aptitude for business, but please appreciate that I am new to SEO. Thank you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106695].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GodMode52
        Originally Posted by 1stcompucare View Post

        And exactly what do you consider real SEO? on site optimization, content marketing,natural link building web 2.0s etc?
        There's no natural link building , if you build it then it's not natural.
        Web 2.0's are worthless without a proper tier2 strategy as they hold zero power once you create them.
        Get some high pr links from strong sites , guest post around , exchange links, pay for them or whatever you like. 1 link from a strong site is stronger than 90% of crap you have built on your site previously.
        Signature

        Want Google Page ONE Rankings? [YES] [NO]

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106722].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GodMode52
        Originally Posted by 1stcompucare View Post

        And exactly what do you consider real SEO? on site optimization, content marketing,natural link building web 2.0s etc?

        I thought they keywords pc cleaning, computer cleaning, data centre cleaning and server room cleaning... were quite competitive... I used google keyword tool... I guess I was wrong though if you say differently.

        I'm sorry that you feel I don't have an aptitude for business, but please appreciate that I am new to SEO. Thank you.
        I'm not going against you because your lack of SEO knowledge. I can't understand why are you putting your business in YOUR hands if you admit and understand that you are new to it. No one is stopping you from learning seo , get another domain and run your tests, experiment , learn etc. But spamming a bunch of cheap links on your business site isn't smart at all, and is far from being SEO.

        I mean my english suck , I would never ever write content for my self to put it on my websites. Instead I pay a writer , get awesome content and focus on what I'm good to do. Then in my free time I can take english lessons, come to english forums and improve my skill, but that's it. It's all about being responsable and doing business in a smart way.
        Signature

        Want Google Page ONE Rankings? [YES] [NO]

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106742].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by 1stcompucare View Post

        I thought they keywords pc cleaning, computer cleaning, data centre cleaning and server room cleaning... were quite competitive... I used google keyword tool...
        The Google Keyword Tool does not tell you anything about how competitive a keyword is to rank for.
        Signature

        For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106761].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author 1stcompucare
          [DELETED]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106817].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
            The Competitiontab shows you the amount of Google AdWords advertisers who are competing over that keyword. In other words, if there are scores of different advertisers all battling over that keyword, you'll then see the green bar maxed out.

            That has nothing to do with SEO or rankings. The tool was designed for AdWords advertisers.
            Signature

            For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RockNRolla
    I always say the easiest way for a SEO beginner to work out whether a link is worthwhile or not is how hard it is to obtain. Obviously there will be exceptions to this but on the most part, if a link s very easy to obtain, it's not going to be worth much. The links that require more effort to obtain are more than likely going to be of better quality and should be the ones you spend your time acquiring.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106744].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dragas
      Originally Posted by RockNRolla View Post

      I always say the easiest way for a SEO beginner to work out whether a link is worthwhile or not is how hard it is to obtain. Obviously there will be exceptions to this but on the most part, if a link s very easy to obtain, it's not going to be worth much. The links that require more effort to obtain are more than likely going to be of better quality and should be the ones you spend your time acquiring.
      you're 100% right. If it's easy to obtain, just don't build it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8107659].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    Some good info on this thread. Focus, man, focus..
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8106861].message }}

Trending Topics