What is main benefit of long tail keywords ?

25 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Why we should use long tail keywords, what is main benefits of its , how many characters should be in long tail keywords?
#benefit #keywords #long #main #tail
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    Benefits:

    1) They're easier to rank for - reducing time spent to rank.
    2) They convert well. People are 'deep Googling' because they're further into the buying research cycle. Therefore 'buy a new widget now' is better than 'widget' as a keyword.
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8176566].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BenJackson
      Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

      Benefits:

      1) They're easier to rank for - reducing time spent to rank.
      2) They convert well. People are 'deep Googling' because they're further into the buying research cycle. Therefore 'buy a new widget now' is better than 'widget' as a keyword.
      This exactly. Shorter searches are much harder to understand. Someone who searches for "widget" - what on earth do they want? A wordpress widget? A definition? But of what kind of widget? How do you give that person what they want so you can rank highly?

      The second example has so much good information in it. Why do they need it now? Maybe your competitor's widgets break suddenly. Longtail keywords will teach you a lot more about your market and reveal the intent behind their searches so that you can improve your copy for more conversions as well as for more organic search traffic.

      Also, you're going to get more longtail traffic no matter what. Just how things work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8176793].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author godoveryou
      Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

      Benefits:

      1) They're easier to rank for - reducing time spent to rank.
      2) They convert well. People are 'deep Googling' because they're further into the buying research cycle. Therefore 'buy a new widget now' is better than 'widget' as a keyword.
      #2 is a great example of why longtail traffic can make or break some sites in certain niches.

      Imagine if you had a site that was all about 'Blue Widgets.'

      It might take a lot of work to rank for 'Buy Widgets' and your content will typically be generic and uninteresting to your reader.

      So as a reader, when hey get frustrated by the lack of information they found the first time they then go back to Google and 'ask it' more specific questions....

      Ah Ha! - Here is where you can capitalize....

      You can provide a wealth of highly targeted, relevant and useful information to your readers with well researched long tails. In addition, since you are fulfilling the readers need, they will be more comfortable trusting your site and clicking your links.

      But even better yet - with a longtail you know EXACTLY what to write about. You will be able to produce that higher converting content faster and much more easily than content that is a generic rambling mess.

      But even with all of that having been said, you still have to find longtail keywords that actually make sense and that people actually search for. In this post I talk about KTD's Google Suggest tool that I have found quite invaluable.

      It's $16 and no, I have no affiliate link to try to get you to click on.

      But you can just take that tool's output, run all of the results through Google's Adwords Keyword Tool and pick out the longtails that actually have traffic.

      You don't need a lot of traffic mind you, a few hundred searches a month is just fine since the informative/quality content is quick and easy to produce.

      I know already that 'quick' and 'quality' are polar opposites but when you know EXACTLY what to write about, you can get into a good 'workflow' for it.

      At the end of the day - unless you are an uber link spammer and can rank for crazily competitive terms, longtail traffic can make or break your site.

      It's that important.
      Signature
      Don't Know Me? - Read my interview at Matthewwoodward.co.uk
      http://www.godoveryou.com/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177068].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author livemusic
        Originally Posted by godoveryou View Post

        In this post I talk about KTD's Google Suggest tool that I have found quite invaluable.

        It's $16 and no, I have no affiliate link to try to get you to click on.

        But you can just take that tool's output, run all of the results through Google's Adwords Keyword Tool and pick out the longtails that actually have traffic.
        I clicked through but it said they are out of business? Or can you still buy it and have it be functional?
        Signature

        Bill

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177263].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    Longtail leads to much more additional traffic then you could ever imagine, you not only rank for the long tail that you focus on but instead also on 100's or 1000's of variations of those long tails.

    Besides ranking for the main keywords is not always that easy, so those long tails can provide you a huge amount of traffic and once you start to rank for the main ones you'll probably notice that your traffic only increases with 10-30%. Then you witness the true power of long tails.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177116].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author godoveryou
      Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

      Longtail leads to much more additional traffic then you could ever imagine, you not only rank for the long tail that you focus on but instead also on 100's or 1000's of variations of those long tails.

      Besides ranking for the main keywords is not always that easy, so those long tails can provide you a huge amount of traffic and once you start to rank for the main ones you'll probably notice that your traffic only increases with 10-30%. Then you witness the true power of long tails.
      ^^^ THIS ^^^
      Signature
      Don't Know Me? - Read my interview at Matthewwoodward.co.uk
      http://www.godoveryou.com/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author godoveryou
    I found and bought it just a few weeks ago - and it still works.
    Signature
    Don't Know Me? - Read my interview at Matthewwoodward.co.uk
    http://www.godoveryou.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177269].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
    If you want a real life example, i just started a blog a couple of weeks ago, only targeting 1-2 long tail keywords in every article and writing on average 3 articles a day on the blog. Backlinking has just been here and maybe a couple of hours tops elsewhere in these 3 weeks.

    Result:
    - 50 unique visitors a day from google
    - Averarging 1 sale a day the last 5 days
    - Alexa ranking of 179000 coming from a couple of million.

    So if you ask do long tail keywords work? Hell yeah! And it's very easy to rank for them!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author livemusic
      Originally Posted by JensSteyaert View Post

      ...Backlinking has just been here and maybe a couple of hours tops elsewhere in these 3 weeks....
      Is the above an incomplete sentence? What is your backlink strategy? What platform blog you use? Wordpress, blogspot? How long (words) are your articles? How many times do you write the key phrase? Do you just write it in the copy or put up an image / alt tag, use H1, what is it you do? Thanks.
      Signature

      Bill

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177500].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
        Originally Posted by livemusic View Post

        Is the above an incomplete sentence? What is your backlink strategy? What platform blog you use? Wordpress, blogspot? How long (words) are your articles? How many times do you write the key phrase? Do you just write it in the copy or put up an image / alt tag, use H1, what is it you do? Thanks.
        Hey there,

        It's not an incomplete sentence, it just means i didn't spent much time backlinking, except on this forum. I also went over the list you can find in my signature which took me about 30 minutes to get some high quality backlinks, and for the rest some blog comments on high PR blogs related to seo, internet marketing, blogging etc..

        The articles on my site are on average 500 words. Here's how i use the keywords:
        - 1 or 2 different keywords in the title
        - 1 time in the description (first paragraph)
        - 1 time in the content body-
        - Use the keyword as ALT in the image
        - I don't use the keyword in the H2 / H3 tags, that would be overdoing it since i use it in the title.

        I search for long tail keywords ranging from 100-200 searches per month, which means there is hardly any competition and they get ranked within a week.

        So that's it! Nothing more
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177529].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author livemusic
    Let me ask this... I have a hit counter with Statcounter and I can login and see the search terms that people used to hit my site. Why not just use those key phrases or is there something else that these software products do that make them better?
    Signature

    Bill

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177508].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author godoveryou
      Originally Posted by livemusic View Post

      Let me ask this... I have a hit counter with Statcounter and I can login and see the search terms that people used to hit my site. Why not just use those key phrases or is there something else that these software products do that make them better?
      Why write more content for something you already rank for???

      By doing what you are suggesting you are only looking at terms that you already rank as opposed to being proactive and going out to write content that will pull in NEW traffic.

      Basically what you are saying is 'why not beat a dead horse.'
      Signature
      Don't Know Me? - Read my interview at Matthewwoodward.co.uk
      http://www.godoveryou.com/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177517].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author livemusic
        Originally Posted by godoveryou View Post

        Why write more content for something you already rank for???

        By doing what you are suggesting you are only looking at terms that you already rank as opposed to being proactive and going out to write content that will pull in NEW traffic.

        Basically what you are saying is 'why not beat a dead horse.'
        Because I have several websites, it is a very narrow niche and I want to know what people search for. If I can get more than one page on Page 1, good. Seems to have worked for me over the years. Make sense or no? I am no expert.
        Signature

        Bill

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177541].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
      Originally Posted by livemusic View Post

      Let me ask this... I have a hit counter with Statcounter and I can login and see the search terms that people used to hit my site. Why not just use those key phrases or is there something else that these software products do that make them better?
      Just use google keyword tool to find keywords. I'm not an seo expert since this is my first ever blog. I did some good research to make the pages Seo optimized but for finding keywords i just look in this free tool and find new one's all the time with not much competition
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177536].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author godoveryou
    No, it makes no sense to try to rank more content for something you already rank for. You can come up with thousands of potential keywords for ANY niche.

    If you are going to put the time into creating great content, why not try to go after fresh traffic instead of terms you are already pulling traffic from?

    Maybe the gap in understanding is that you are unclear on how to dig up that fresh traffic from just very few base keywords?

    I'll give you a little primer.

    Do you remember the 5 W's + H from high school?

    Who, What, When, Where, Why & How

    Put them in front of your main keyword(s) and you will have a ton of fresh longtail phrases to case. Just use the tool and the process I stated above.

    Here's an example: Let's choose something very niche'y - Wrist Wraps.

    Using the tool I pointed to, you now have 31 additional longtails to produce high converting content for:

    what are the best powerlifting wrist wraps
    what are the best weight lifting wrist wraps
    what are the best wrist wraps
    what are wrist wraps for
    what are wrist wraps good for
    what are wrist wraps made out of
    what are wrist wraps used for
    what do weight lifting wrist wraps do
    what do wrist wraps do
    what do wrist wraps do for lifting
    what do wrist wraps help with
    what does wrist wraps do
    what exercises to use wrist wraps
    what is the point of wrist wraps
    what is the purpose of wrist wraps
    what length of wrist wraps
    what length wrist wraps
    what length wrist wraps should i get
    what size inzer wrist wraps
    what size rogue wrist wraps
    what size wrist wraps
    what size wrist wraps do i need
    what size wrist wraps for crossfit
    what size wrist wraps should i buy
    what size wrist wraps should i get
    what size wrist wraps should i use
    what size wrist wraps to buy
    what size wrist wraps to get
    what to use wrist wraps for
    what to wrist wraps do
    what wrist wraps does rich froning use


    See how that works?
    Signature
    Don't Know Me? - Read my interview at Matthewwoodward.co.uk
    http://www.godoveryou.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177574].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author livemusic
    Cool, so, you are typing...

    what * wrist wraps

    ...into that $16 software?

    After you get these results, what, exactly, do you do? Figure out how much traffic these phrases are getting. What exactly do you do in GAKT?
    Signature

    Bill

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CoachManny
    Originally Posted by pdev988 View Post

    Why we should use long tail keywords, what is main benefits of its , how many characters should be in long tail keywords?
    I'm still trying to figure it out myself but I do find 3-4 keywords are most effective as oppose to 1 or more than 4.

    What I find challenging is trying to have a high SEO % and finding the right keywords that I can use a few times in the paragraph to keep the keyword density where it needs to be. I've been able to do it with 2 words but 3-4 words is challenging.

    Since I started using IMGlobal for my blogging and internet marketing tools I'm learning a whole lot but there is still more to learn.

    Manny
    Signature

    Manny Rodriguez Blog:
    www.coachmannyrodriguez.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177606].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hango
      Originally Posted by CoachManny View Post

      I'm still trying to figure it out myself but I do find 3-4 keywords are most effective as oppose to 1 or more than 4.

      What I find challenging is trying to have a high SEO % and finding the right keywords that I can use a few times in the paragraph to keep the keyword density where it needs to be. I've been able to do it with 2 words but 3-4 words is challenging.

      Since I started using IMGlobal for my blogging and internet marketing tools I'm learning a whole lot but there is still more to learn.

      Manny
      Manny, what's IM Global? My wife uses long tail keywords for her food blog. She's very successful in the niche because most other food bloggers aren't to worried about SEO (or it seems like it).
      Signature
      Generate Unlimited Number of Micro Niche Keywords, Multi-threaded EMD Finder PLUS More!


      Need UNF support? Contact us via THE HELPDESK
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8178567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MonitorScout
    The main benefit of long tail keyword is it will give you filtered traffic where the chances of conversion is always high comparing to general keyword.

    But you can't expect huge traffic from it. That's why I always suggests to use both of them long tail and high searched keywords.
    Signature
    Monitor Scout - Website & Server Monitoring
    50 different checks, SNMP monitoring and much more.
    https://www.monitorscout.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8178792].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seoace
      All of my sites get majority (min 50% of their traffic) of their search engine traffic from long tail keywords eventhough I don't target/promote those keywords.

      Main benefits :-
      1. Targeted (the longer the keyword, the better)
      2. Bonus traffic with 0 work involved
      3. Easy to rank but I don't target them and still get traffic from long tail keywords

      A tool I can highly recommend for searching for long tail keywords is www.keywordresearcher.org
      Signature
      Who else needs a SEO Client Dashboard for their SEO services ?
      Let your clients monitor their SEO campaigns (Rankings, Backlinks and Work Done)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179490].message }}
  • Shorter keyword is not targeted always. They mostly does not provides any specific lead. Long tail keywords are more specific and targeting long tail keywords can provide a business targeted customers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8181161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pintara3
    Great thread. Longtail keywords are more targeted and easier to rang for. I'd rather a longtail keyword with say 20,000 searches than a broad term with a 1,000,000 searches
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8182772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author williamrichard
    Better Paid Search Results
    Better Natural Search Results
    Improved Insight into the Customer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8183611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ShivJaiswaL
    Hello, Long tail keywords can drastically increase search queries and hence help to reduce bounce rate. Some of popular search engines like google, bing, http://www.oko69.com, baidu are pretty sensitive to track and optimize long tail keywords.
    Signature
    Market Research, B2B Lead Gen, Outreach, Appointment Setting, and Business Dev
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8183635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author InitialEffort
    Long Tail Keywords usually composed of 3 or more words – they are more of a phrase than a broad description (compare to short tail). It is less common and draws fewer visitors but often pull more quality visitors leading to more conversions than ordinary keyword. Choosing which type of keywords to use usually depends on your market and the keyword competition.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8183643].message }}

Trending Topics